You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot
(22 Jul 2022, 10:26 am)GNE6312 wrote On the topic of the 25/28 transferring to Washington the 25 could change drivers at thr following locations

Wrekenton (10 mins/3.4 miles from galleries)
Eighton Banks (about 2.8 miles/8 mins from the galleries)
Foxpond Roundabout (6 mins/2
Miles from the galleries)
Barely Moor, (Vigo Lane-Eskdale)-2.5 miles/6 mins from galleries

28 would only really be Wrekenton or Birtley.

Where will the 29 change as the 28/29 will interwork.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
(22 Jul 2022, 10:18 am)ASX_Terranova wrote I doubt Washington is big enough to take the 34 & 700's as well thats 8 extra PVR including the other movers plus spares.

Has it said they're going there? They could easily go to Consett instead maybe. Operationally it's not ideal but since the drivers have chosen their first depot they won't have much choice. I can't imagine anyone will choose Riverside as it's a commuting nightmare.

As far as I'm aware the 700 services won't have a driver changeover as it's under the maximum driver hours. I have a feeling there'll be some sort of relief place at CLS for them.
Wrekenton seems the obvious place to change over - dedicated bus gate and enough space for a change (or they can use the car park at Aldi or behind Stormont Main)
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(22 Jul 2022, 11:20 am)Storx wrote Has it said they're going there? They could easily go to Consett instead maybe. Operationally it's not ideal but since the drivers have chosen their first depot they won't have much choice. I can't imagine anyone will choose Riverside as it's a commuting nightmare.

As far as I'm aware the 700 services won't have a driver changeover as it's under the maximum driver hours. I have a feeling there'll be some sort of relief place at CLS for them.
700s used to be Consett for afew years up until some point last year
(24 Jul 2022, 5:15 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote I'm a bit confused as to the history of CLS 700's. I presume the 703 is whats left of the 739/740. But how did the others come to be?

These routes were, until the early 2000s, operated from Chester using Metroriders and later the early Solos. The routes have since been operated by Classic and more recently by Scarlet Band at tender, and have now once again been operated by Go North East for a few years. Prior to their reacquisition, they were numbered 810-813 inclusive. There was at one point also the 814 to Sevenacres (an estate in Lumley) and 815 to Woodstone Village which seemingly operated hourly from Chester-le-Street, interworking using one bus. Both of these are today covered by the 71 and 78, although it seems by 1996, the 815 ran from Woodstone to Concord, an hours journey time each way with a PVR of 2.

The 739/740 operated with a PVR of 2 in vice-versa fashion. The loop went from South Burns to Grange Villa through Pelton Fell, up Bluehouse Bank and past Hett Hills, turning right into Grange Villa - essentially the route the 28 takes today - and then right again onto Pelton Lane towards Newfield; it then turned right at Roseberry Primary School and made its way down Burnthouse Bank where it reconnected with Pelton Fell Road at the bottom junction, heading back to the town centre. The 740 followed this route as I have described it above, while the 739 did the inverse; there was no other frequent service that connected Pelton Fell with Chester-le-Street, so those living there would use the inbound 739 to get to Chester as fast as possible, and then the 740 outbound to get back. The only aspects of the 739/740 which are really covered today by the 703 is the traversing of Burnthouse Bank as far as Station Lane on the outbound run and from Newfield on the inbound. I donated a 1997 timetable for the 739/740 from my collection for PDF conversion for the Bygone Era some years ago, if you wish to see how it compares: https://www.northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/item.php?id=577

The 700 to Hilda Park - formerly the 810 - follows the exact same route it has taken since at least July 1989. At this point, the 810 operated at a fifteen minute frequency with a PVR of 1. Its terminus point was at one point given as Briarhill which is the name of a street on the Hilda Park Estate, although in the years since this has changed to simply Hilda Park. Unfortunately, this is about as simple as it gets. 

The 701 to Waldridge is cobbled together from aspects of the old 813. In 1989, the 811 operated with a PVR of 2 at a twelve minute frequency. It went to Waldridge roundabout through Grasmere Road (the main road through the Garden Farm Estate) and then came directly back on itself; today, this is covered in it entirety - one-way, inbound - with the 34. The 812, which operated via Second Avenue and then looped back via The Crescent in a hail and ride fashion, is also covered today by the 34. At this same time, the 813 - which appears to have interworked with the 812 - operated at a fifteen minute frequency, alternating half hourly between Wynyard (a nearby area of the same estate as Gibside, where the 701 reverses today) and Waldridge roundabout, getting to Whitehill Way via Pelton Fell Road. The present day 701 covers areas of the Deneside View estate which was not constructed until the 1990s. 

The 702 to North Lodge Estate covers part of the former 730 service, which was DCC-secured and operated half-hourly inversely from the town centre; it went up Newcastle Road much like the 21 and 25 do today, then turned left at Northlands roundabout and travelled up the A693 (still referred to locally as the 'new road') to Perkinsville, then Urpeth Grange - the 34 today operates in a one-way loop through Ouston/Urpeth Grange, the 730 utilised the bus stops on the other side of the road in Urpeth Grange which have not been used in many years - onto Station Lane into Birtley, then back to Chester via Barley Mow and a loop round North Lodge.  Although the 730 operated in the inverse half-hourly much like the 739/740 did every fifteen minutes, it operated under the one service number.
(28 Jul 2022, 11:32 pm)R852 PRG wrote These routes were, until the early 2000s, operated from Chester using Metroriders and later the early Solos. The routes have since been operated by Classic and more recently by Scarlet Band at tender, and have now once again been operated by Go North East for a few years. Prior to their reacquisition, they were numbered 810-813 inclusive. There was at one point also the 814 to Sevenacres (an estate in Lumley) and 815 to Woodstone Village which seemingly operated hourly from Chester-le-Street, interworking using one bus. Both of these are today covered by the 71 and 78, although it seems by 1996, the 815 ran from Woodstone to Concord, an hours journey time each way with a PVR of 2.

The 739/740 operated with a PVR of 2 in vice-versa fashion. The loop went from South Burns to Grange Villa through Pelton Fell, up Bluehouse Bank and past Hett Hills, turning right into Grange Villa - essentially the route the 28 takes today - and then right again onto Pelton Lane towards Newfield; it then turned right at Roseberry Primary School and made its way down Burnthouse Bank where it reconnected with Pelton Fell Road at the bottom junction, heading back to the town centre. The 740 followed this route as I have described it above, while the 739 did the inverse; there was no other frequent service that connected Pelton Fell with Chester-le-Street, so those living there would use the inbound 739 to get to Chester as fast as possible, and then the 740 outbound to get back. The only aspects of the 739/740 which are really covered today by the 703 is the traversing of Burnthouse Bank as far as Station Lane on the outbound run and from Newfield on the inbound. I donated a 1997 timetable for the 739/740 from my collection for PDF conversion for the Bygone Era some years ago, if you wish to see how it compares: https://www.northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/item.php?id=577

The 700 to Hilda Park - formerly the 810 - follows the exact same route it has taken since at least July 1989. At this point, the 810 operated at a fifteen minute frequency with a PVR of 1. Its terminus point was at one point given as Briarhill which is the name of a street on the Hilda Park Estate, although in the years since this has changed to simply Hilda Park. Unfortunately, this is about as simple as it gets. 

The 701 to Waldridge is cobbled together from aspects of the old 813. In 1989, the 811 operated with a PVR of 2 at a twelve minute frequency. It went to Waldridge roundabout through Grasmere Road (the main road through the Garden Farm Estate) and then came directly back on itself; today, this is covered in it entirety - one-way, inbound - with the 34. The 812, which operated via Second Avenue and then looped back via The Crescent in a hail and ride fashion, is also covered today by the 34. At this same time, the 813 - which appears to have interworked with the 812 - operated at a fifteen minute frequency, alternating half hourly between Wynyard (a nearby area of the same estate as Gibside, where the 701 reverses today) and Waldridge roundabout, getting to Whitehill Way via Pelton Fell Road. The present day 701 covers areas of the Deneside View estate which was not constructed until the 1990s. 

The 702 to North Lodge Estate covers part of the former 730 service, which was DCC-secured and operated half-hourly inversely from the town centre; it went up Newcastle Road much like the 21 and 25 do today, then turned left at Northlands roundabout and travelled up the A693 (still referred to locally as the 'new road') to Perkinsville, then Urpeth Grange - the 34 today operates in a one-way loop through Ouston/Urpeth Grange, the 730 utilised the bus stops on the other side of the road in Urpeth Grange which have not been used in many years - onto Station Lane into Birtley, then back to Chester via Barley Mow and a loop round North Lodge.  Although the 730 operated in the inverse half-hourly much like the 739/740 did every fifteen minutes, it operated under the one service number.
The 730 has had a couple of variations over the years. The one you mention, may have been the most recent.

The campaign to remove buses from the clockwise stops around Urpeth Grange, following an incident in 2002 may have led to its ultimate demise 4 or 5 years later. 
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7...-critical/

At one point in the early 90s Cousins had a bread van on it and it basically followed what is now the 21 route, before turning left at Station Lane, Birtley towards Urpeth Grange.
There was also a variation which went through Drum Ind Est too.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index....ct/product&product_id=37721
https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index....ct/product&product_id=37720
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(29 Jul 2022, 2:23 pm)Andreos1 wrote The 730 has had a couple of variations over the years. The one you mention, may have been the most recent.

The campaign to remove buses from the clockwise stops around Urpeth Grange, following an incident in 2002 may have led to its ultimate demise 4 or 5 years later. 
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7...-critical/

At one point in the early 90s Cousins had a bread van on it and it basically followed what is now the 21 route, before turning left at Station Lane, Birtley towards Urpeth Grange.
There was also a variation which went through Drum Ind Est too.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index....ct/product&product_id=37721
https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index....ct/product&product_id=37720

Just picking up a small point, but what was the issue with clockwise serving stops in Urpeth?
(30 Jul 2022, 1:04 am)Drifter60 wrote Just picking up a small point, but what was the issue with clockwise serving stops in Urpeth?

I recall that when the service through Urpeth Grange was reduced to just the 34A, over a decade ago now, there were grievances from residents that it traversing Urpeth clockwise (as in, Urpeth first then looping back round through Ouston - the direct opposite of what the 34 does today) meant residents would need to cross the road. The bus stops which are served today (anti-clockwise) are all on the same side of the road as the housing. 

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/l...e-changes/
(30 Jul 2022, 1:04 am)Drifter60 wrote Just picking up a small point, but what was the issue with clockwise serving stops in Urpeth?
There was very little infrastructure to assist with crossing the road and it appeared from the outside in, DCC were unwilling or unable to fund improvements such as crossings, speed bumps or other traffic calming measures.
All of the clockwise stops backed on to empty fields and I'm pretty sure there wasn't the space or inclination to build shelters in some of the more exposed locations either. 

I believe there were other incidents like the one I mentioned above, but not with the same consequences or level of injuries.
Pretty sure the local primary school were also involved at one stage of the campaign too and eventually they were provided with a school time crossing patrol. They also managed to get a bit of a hard standing car park (used for pick ups/drop offs) developed around the same period, to encourage people away from the St Benets Way and filter pupils through the crossing.

I can't remember who the decision maker was (operators or LA) , but it ended up with services operating the anti-clockwise loop only, regardless of the origin or starting point of the service (which apart from school services - was always Chester. Cos that's where the population of Urpeth Grange all want to visit and work from).
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(30 Jul 2022, 1:55 am)R852 PRG wrote I recall that when the service through Urpeth Grange was reduced to just the 34A, over a decade ago now, there were grievances from residents that it traversing Urpeth clockwise (as in, Urpeth first then looping back round through Ouston - the direct opposite of what the 34 does today) meant residents would need to cross the road. The bus stops which are served today (anti-clockwise) are all on the same side of the road as the housing. 

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/l...e-changes/

(30 Jul 2022, 9:29 am)Andreos1 wrote There was very little infrastructure to assist with crossing the road and it appeared from the outside in, DCC were unwilling or unable to fund improvements such as crossings, speed bumps or other traffic calming measures.
All of the clockwise stops backed on to empty fields and I'm pretty sure there wasn't the space or inclination to build shelters in some of the more exposed locations either. 

I believe there were other incidents like the one I mentioned above, but not with the same consequences or level of injuries.
Pretty sure the local primary school were also involved at one stage of the campaign too and eventually they were provided with a school time crossing patrol. They also managed to get a bit of a hard standing car park (used for pick ups/drop offs) developed around the same period, to encourage people away from the St Benets Way and filter pupils through the crossing.

I can't remember who the decision maker was (operators or LA) , but it ended up with services operating the anti-clockwise loop only, regardless of the origin or starting point of the service (which apart from school services - was always Chester. Cos that's where the population of Urpeth Grange all want to visit and work from).

Ah got you. Cheers for the replies.
(31 Jul 2022, 5:36 pm)Malarkey wrote National Express Operations to transfer from Chester-Le-Street to Riverside this evening, confirmation from Liam Hall via upload on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/blockybus/...1630182133

Has anything left Riverside tonight so the coaches can come in, or is there still plenty of space as the coaches are always out?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(31 Jul 2022, 5:51 pm)Michael wrote Has anything left Riverside tonight so the coaches can come in, or is there still plenty of space as the coaches are always out?
Nothing has left.
(01 Aug 2022, 2:09 pm)Jack Gill wrote https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2...s-closure/

Interestingly the article doesn't suggest that notice has been served on dates (and format) of action yet, and that comes with a statutory two-week notice period. So w/c 15th August at the absolute earliest. Leaving only a couple weeks before the planned closure.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(01 Aug 2022, 3:54 pm)Adrian wrote Interestingly the article doesn't suggest that notice has been served on dates (and format) of action yet, and that comes with a statutory two-week notice period. So w/c 15th August at the absolute earliest. Leaving only a couple weeks before the planned closure.
But couldn't they just refuse to work when it moves to Riverisde, there is no way Riverside have the capacity without the CLS drivers moving to run the 21/X21, and Washington who already have quite bad cancellations for the 700's, 34
(01 Aug 2022, 3:56 pm)Unber43 wrote But couldn't they just refuse to work when it moves to Riverisde, there is no way Riverside have the capacity without the CLS drivers moving to run the 21/X21, and Washington who already have quite bad cancellations for the 700's, 34

Lot of assumptions there like ngl. It's never been said where things are going the 34, 700's and X21 could all end up at Consett for all we know. If they have first choice, I can't imagine there's a queue of driver's wanting to go to Riverside it's a horrid commute.

For all we know the driver's might win and they end up with an outstation with buses parked in a yard somewhere with some way of refuelling similar to Arriva in Alnwick and Whitby.
(01 Aug 2022, 4:50 pm)Storx wrote Lot of assumptions there like ngl. It's never been said where things are going the 34, 700's and X21 could all end up at Consett for all we know. If they have first choice, I can't imagine there's a queue of driver's wanting to go to Riverside it's a horrid commute.

For all we know the driver's might win and they end up with an outstation with buses parked in a yard somewhere with some way of refuelling similar to Arriva in Alnwick and Whitby.
I know the old  Peterlee Depot refuelled on the A19
(01 Aug 2022, 4:50 pm)Storx wrote Lot of assumptions there like ngl. It's never been said where things are going the 34, 700's and X21 could all end up at Consett for all we know. If they have first choice, I can't imagine there's a queue of driver's wanting to go to Riverside it's a horrid commute.

I've said it before a Durham outstation would be ideal really, could split the 21 between there and Riverside, then have the X21, 34 and the Solo routes based there, would certainly put them in good stead for winning some of the DCC contracts come October such as the Park and Ride. Could also be treated as an outstation for the odd bus on the 20, X20, 50, X5/15 or 16/16A.
(01 Aug 2022, 8:04 pm)peter wrote I've said it before a Durham outstation would be ideal really, could split the 21 between there and Riverside, then have the X21, 34 and the Solo routes based there, would certainly put them in good stead for winning some of the DCC contracts come October such as the Park and Ride. Could also be treated as an outstation for the odd bus on the 20, X20, 50, X5/15 or 16/16A.
I agree, you could have the 3 X20's which start at Langley Park based there, I suppose it would be a mix of a Washington&Deptford linked outstation. 

X21 would stop a lot of dead mileage runs, 40/41/42 for changeovers. I think GNE need to grab a lot of contracts in the Durham area and an outstation is the way to go imo, they could also expand it into a full running depot if they desire after a lot of contracts have been given out. 

They could even run the 50 from both Durham and Washington. 

But alas I don't think GNE ever had a thought about that, it could have some nice routes into Bowburn and the further Durham expansion like to Brandon
(01 Aug 2022, 4:50 pm)Storx wrote For all we know the driver's might win and they end up with an outstation with buses parked in a yard somewhere with some way of refuelling similar to Arriva in Alnwick and Whitby.

100% Won't happen, majority of services have been moved now, it will close on 2nd September.

Strike action is a waste of time now, their not going to magically change their minds about it.

Some staff have moved on to Washington/Riverside already which has created a bit of hostility between drivers as their seen as abandoning ship, when in reality they've realised the union aren't going to win and their just prolonging the inevitable.
Views and Opinions are my own
(01 Aug 2022, 8:10 pm)NL62WVW wrote 100% Won't happen, majority of services have been moved now, it will close on 2nd September.

Strike action is a waste of time now, their not going to magically change their minds about it.

Some staff have moved on to Washington/Riverside already which has created a bit of hostility between drivers as their seen as abandoning ship, when in reality they've realised the union aren't going to win and their just prolonging the inevitable.

Aye honestly I think that tbf but I don't know, little bit of me says it depends how strong the union hold out. If it ends up in a stalemate where GNE drivers are refusing to move to other depots via strikes and GNE refusing to listen then it could turn ugly.

The driver's right now really hold the keys as they can't really just let them go as there's plenty jobs about at Arriva Durham, Arriva Jesmond and Stagecoach Sunderland just to pick a few for the drivers to say f you and it's not like GNE can just magic driver's up they've been struggling for over a year now.

The Arriva Yorkshire lot done well going for over a month and now they've making cuts as they don't have the drivers, it's the last thing GNE want considering the mess it is already.

Who knows but I do think it will close completely but with consequences (more cuts).
(01 Aug 2022, 8:10 pm)NL62WVW wrote 100% Won't happen, majority of services have been moved now, it will close on 2nd September.

I feared there'd be a lack of support, when I'd seen only a 61% vote in favour of taking action, and I know I've seen ex-Chester-le-Street drivers seemingly working from other depots now - moving, I'm assuming, with some of the work that is now being done from Washington for example.

Do you have any idea what the hoped outcome is, as reading the GNE letter in the article, Gilbert has completely shut down any suggestion that the decision could be reviewed - and is therefore a red line.

I can't see them going to the expense of opening up an outstation either. Whilst it might seem operationally sensible to have a depot further South (e.g. Durham), like most things, I guess it comes down to benefit vs cost.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian wrote Do you have any idea what the hoped outcome is, as reading the GNE letter in the article, Gilbert has completely shut down any suggestion that the decision could be reviewed - and is therefore a red line.

I honestly think that their hoped outcome is that it stays open, no idea what else they are after but upto now they've negotiated a decent relocation package for us. I think their possibly holding out for a redundancy package for drivers that are nearing retirement and there's absolutely no chance of GNE even entertaining that.

12th August is the first day of strikes and its a continuous one.
Views and Opinions are my own
(01 Aug 2022, 9:25 pm)NL62WVW wrote I honestly think that their hoped outcome is that it stays open, no idea what else they are after but upto now they've negotiated a decent relocation package for us. I think their possibly holding out for a redundancy package for drivers that are nearing retirement and there's absolutely no chance of GNE even entertaining that.

12th August is the first day of strikes and its a continuous one.
Wow, this could drag on for weeks.
(01 Aug 2022, 9:46 pm)Jack Gill wrote The 21 is going to die
as long as the X21/34 runs thats all that matters.

With the 21 every 30 mins to Durham