You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike
(08 Oct 2022, 10:41 pm)Storx wrote Totally agreed, it's the same reason that no worker from the other depots in the unions should be over, mind I'd question those not in one doing it either, coward move imo.

Wouldn't it be unauthorised absence for someone not in the union to refuse to work (assuming that work was covered in the terms of their employment contract e.g. 'other bases occassionally')?
(08 Oct 2022, 10:55 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Wouldn't it be unauthorised absence for someone not in the union to refuse to work (assuming that work was covered in the terms of their employment contract e.g. 'other bases occassionally')?

Not too sure if I had to be honest. Not sure what the terms say but surely there has to be some clause ie I can't get there if they walked to work or whatever since ironically there's no buses because of the strike if they lived in some areas (E1/E2/E6).

I just assumed they'd all be on the same terms so can't really see how being part of a union would have a get out of jail clause for not moving without also being unauthorised absense, believe they're different unions at different Stagecoach depots aswell.

I'm curious now tbf.
I think a lot of drivers who are "breaking" the strike transferred from Shields with the Ecos and X34, and are still in Shields' union. I hear they've been protected in some form so technically they aren't crossing the picket line, even if they physically are.
So they have 50% of the drivers they need, does that 66 include if any drivers get COVID/Ill/days off.

Also won't they have to learn the routes?
(08 Oct 2022, 10:41 pm)Storx wrote Believe one of the train companies did similar and grabbed every train manager and anyone who could drive a train from all the other operating areas they had which went down like a lead balloon. Arriva and Cross Country ringing a bell.

Stagecoach did it with their Virgin Trains East Coast operation, they brought scabs over from East Midlands Trains. Even went as far as issuing them with VT uniform so they wouldn't be noticed.
(09 Oct 2022, 7:38 am)omnicity4659 wrote Stagecoach did it with their Virgin Trains East Coast operation, they brought scabs over from East Midlands Trains. Even went as far as issuing them with VT uniform so they wouldn't be noticed.

That's the one remember now totally forgot about EMT. Knew it was one of the ECML operators just couldn't remember which.
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 17, 18 October 2022, seems the strike will be from Tuesday to Tuesday (except Sunday) and normal timetables resuming Wednesday. 

SC has again reduced the frequency from every 20 mins to every 30 mins for most services, except the E's which will run hourly each, 20 will run every 15 mins (it is 10 mins route), 18 will too be every hour roughly.

Im surprised the X1 is still running.
Strike is Tuesday to Saturday, with another 24hr walkout starting 9.30am Monday though there'll be disruption for much of the tuesday as those on earlies won't be allowed to book on after the strike according to signs in the depot.

X1 gets very busy and I believe is a contract so not surprised its running.
(10 Oct 2022, 7:40 pm)F114TML wrote Strike is Tuesday to Saturday, with another 24hr walkout starting 9.30am Monday though there'll be disruption for much of the tuesday as those on earlies won't be allowed to book on after the strike according to signs in the depot.

X1 gets very busy and I believe is a contract so not surprised its running.
If the X1 is a contract I wonder why GNE never got it, they seem like the perfect operator for it.
(10 Oct 2022, 7:54 pm)Unber43 wrote If the X1 is a contract I wonder why GNE never got it, they seem like the perfect operator for it.
I m doubt the X1 is a contract. It’s been a SNE service since the mid 1990s . I often see the timetable for sale on eBay. Besides, the X1 inter works with service 4, so can operate on a strike timetable.
Site Administrator
Sunderland Stagecoach Strike
(10 Oct 2022, 7:54 pm)Unber43 wrote If the X1 is a contract I wonder why GNE never got it, they seem like the perfect operator for it.

The X1 is commercially operated, it is not a contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10 Oct 2022, 8:54 pm)Dan wrote The X1 is commercially operated, it is not a contract.

Thanks for the info.
Site Administrator
Sunderland Stagecoach Strike
In other news, Connexionsbuses will have an ex-Lothian Volvo B7 on service 13 for Stagecoach during the strike.

(10 Oct 2022, 9:27 pm)Dan wrote In other news, Connexionsbuses will have an ex-Lothian Volvo B7 on service 13 for Stagecoach during the strike.

how did you find that out
(10 Oct 2022, 9:27 pm)Dan wrote In other news, Connexionsbuses will have an ex-Lothian Volvo B7 on service 13 for Stagecoach during the strike.

Ah! Was wondering why a white G1 has appeared in the depot.
(11 Oct 2022, 7:28 am)Michael wrote Day 1:

Buses are already horrendous.
I think we all guessed that'd be the case but it's nice to have it confirmed.

What's gone wrong already then?
(11 Oct 2022, 7:40 am)F114TML wrote I think we all guessed that'd be the case but it's nice to have it confirmed.

What's gone wrong already then?

Buses running late - my 16 was over 20 mins late, feel sorry for the drivers though, not their fault, I just think it could of been planned better, like for the buses running.

---

Swearing at drivers working isn't a thing I agree with - they were even shouting at people getting off the bus... they're adults.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(11 Oct 2022, 11:28 am)Michael wrote Buses running late - my 16 was over 20 mins late, feel sorry for the drivers though, not their fault, I just think it could of been planned better, like for the buses running.

---

Swearing at drivers working isn't a thing I agree with - they were even shouting at people getting off the bus... they're adults.
Seems like a lot of services even at every 30 mins are still not running.

Also if you look at Bus times they're just tracking without any route numbers connected to them, so I you have to guess whether that is yours
(11 Oct 2022, 4:37 pm)Unber43 wrote Seems like a lot of services even at every 30 mins are still not running.

Also if you look at Bus times they're just tracking without any route numbers connected to them, so I you have to guess whether that is yours
The website says it's a £1.50 flat fare, so i'm assuming they've not trained the white shirts on the machines (well, not to the level of which tickets are valid where, where the fare stages are, what special fares are in place (max £2.10 on the 20 or max £1.80 on the 12 between Silksworth and the City Centre), just told them where the route goes. I can only assume they've set it up so you can issue tickets if you select route 999, journey 1000 (which is what we use for empty runs but 999 is listed as special service on the machine), and told them how to log in (I'd assume they'll already know that as a lot of them will likely put in a couple of shifts now and then anyway). Just looked on the app and nothing is tracking, except a couple of 939s (one of which appeared to be in the depot) and a 10 - bus times is showing a lot more.

It wouldn't surprise me if they've just been given a bus and a route number.
Its such a chaotic mess, tbf I've seen the buses and they're not even that busy, someone who I go to college with waited almost 2 hours for a bus and not one turned up. They're meant to be every 30 minutes. Like its a bit of a joke. I rather had a timetable that gives realistic timings of buses than just ones that they hope they can get a driver for. If I was Stagecoach Sunderland I would just strike for another week or two.
(11 Oct 2022, 5:16 pm)Unber43 wrote Apparently they want the same £14 odd which Liverpool drivers get
Some of the drivers want something like a 15% rise over 12 months (backdated), plus time+1/3 on overtime - that's very unlikely to happen. I believe 12% over 12 months, plus time+£2 on overtime is the minimum acceptable now.
What are the payrates now for Wheatshef Depot?

As I don't think Stagecoach will move tbf after this strike is over, where do they go next is it just the case of more strikes or a continuous walk out
(11 Oct 2022, 5:47 pm)F114TML wrote Some of the drivers want something like a 15% rise over 12 months (backdated), plus time+1/3 on overtime - that's very unlikely to happen. I believe 12% over 12 months, plus time+£2 on overtime is the minimum acceptable now.
The problem with getting an enhanced overtime rate is that for as far back as I can remember you always get enough drivers happy to do it for the standard rate, be it through need or greed.

Work to rule would cripple any bus operator and force them to offer an overtime rate, however in my opinion the unions (Unite in my case at Arriva) collude with management to avoid that scenario every happening.
(11 Oct 2022, 5:47 pm)F114TML wrote Some of the drivers want something like a 15% rise over 12 months (backdated), plus time+1/3 on overtime - that's very unlikely to happen. I believe 12% over 12 months, plus time+£2 on overtime is the minimum acceptable now.
So they want like 

£14 an hour, plus £16 hour for overtime. Keep Dreaming. That could turn SC Wheatshef unprofitable, however the worse thing is if it does happen (not saying they don't deserve it) the other Depots are going to want that.
(11 Oct 2022, 7:40 pm)Unber43 wrote So they want like 

£14 an hour, plus £16 hour for overtime. Keep Dreaming. That could turn SC Wheatshef unprofitable, however the worse thing is if it does happen (not saying they don't deserve it) the other Depots are going to want that.
Arriva, where I left a few months ago, are currently offering PSV licence holders £16.57 an hour to try and plug the gaps at Blyth/Ashington/Jesmond depots.

Go on the Indeed job website and look for yourself, through Kemp recruitment agency.