You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Sunderland Stagecoach Strike
(24 Oct 2022, 7:57 am)BackJammer wrote Unlikely to be a successful strategy.

The rail unions are barely making an impact on the people they need to sway (ministers), and rail workers have the advantage of genuinely being able to ruin the lives of their customers in an effort to get a pay rise.

Stagecoach Sunderland passengers have plenty of alternatives, including quitting their jobs and going on the dole, and the directors of Stagecoach surely don't care if a hotchpotch of strikes merely adds to the existing pile of reasons (sickness, shortages, congestion) that they're not really to blame for the unreliability of their services.

Only an indefinite strike will work, and even then, I don't rate their chances.

Far more likely that Stagecoach is just going to start cutting back until the resources they can reliably call on, can match their timetabled commitments. The directors might even get a boost from that, since on paper, in terms of fleet age and thus reliability/profitabiliity, it will look like Sunderland is one of the better units.
Strangely Busways still hasn't registered the service changes in Sunderland, which all the drivers know about. That would eliminate the MAN E200s and leave the fleet average a little better if you exclude the deckers. November 5th won't have the big impact some think, Sunderland firework display is the 29th October, no big bonfires like they used to do.
(24 Oct 2022, 8:12 am)54APhotography wrote Strangely Busways still hasn't registered the service changes in Sunderland, which all the drivers know about. That would eliminate the MAN E200s and leave the fleet average a little better if you exclude the deckers. November 5th won't have the big impact some think, Sunderland firework display is the 29th October, no big bonfires like they used to do.

There's a football match on the 5th.
(24 Oct 2022, 7:57 am)BackJammer wrote Unlikely to be a successful strategy.

The rail unions are barely making an impact on the people they need to sway (ministers), and rail workers have the advantage of genuinely being able to ruin the lives of their customers in an effort to get a pay rise.

Stagecoach Sunderland passengers have plenty of alternatives, including quitting their jobs and going on the dole, and the directors of Stagecoach surely don't care if a hotchpotch of strikes merely adds to the existing pile of reasons (sickness, shortages, congestion) that they're not really to blame for the unreliability of their services.

Only an indefinite strike will work, and even then, I don't rate their chances.

Far more likely that Stagecoach is just going to start cutting back until the resources they can reliably call on, can match their timetabled commitments. The directors might even get a boost from that, since on paper, in terms of fleet age and thus reliability/profitabiliity, it will look like Sunderland is one of the better units.

Bit OTT i think
Site Administrator
Sunderland Stagecoach Strike
(24 Oct 2022, 8:12 am)54APhotography wrote Strangely Busways still hasn't registered the service changes in Sunderland, which all the drivers know about. That would eliminate the MAN E200s and leave the fleet average a little better if you exclude the deckers. November 5th won't have the big impact some think, Sunderland firework display is the 29th October, no big bonfires like they used to do.

What changes are ahead in Sunderland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When are these changes taking place?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Oct 2022, 2:41 pm)Dan wrote What changes are ahead in Sunderland?

Frequency reductions, routes 10/11/20 possibly 4s. Was talked of months ago, as drivers say, there are no need for 10 minute frequencies in town now.
Still nothing registered as changing though..

(24 Oct 2022, 3:05 pm)Michael wrote When are these changes taking place?
Well, end of this month was expected, but maybe another wait..
We have been notified the dates of strike action will be Friday 28 and Monday 31 October, and Saturday 5 November 2022.

This strike action will affect local bus services operated by our Sunderland depot. All other Stagecoach North East depots are unaffected by this industrial action.

A reduced timetable will run, between approx. 0730 and 1800, on Services 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 20, 23, 99, 939, E1, E2 and E6 only. On the affected dates, adult single fares will be £1.50.

Services X1, 12, 18, 18A, X24, X24A and X34 will not operate on the affected days.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-up...:54:48:691
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Oct 2022, 5:12 pm)Michael wrote We have been notified the dates of strike action will be Friday 28 and Monday 31 October, and Saturday 5 November 2022.

This strike action will affect local bus services operated by our Sunderland depot. All other Stagecoach North East depots are unaffected by this industrial action.

A reduced timetable will run, between approx. 0730 and 1800, on Services 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 20, 23, 99, 939, E1, E2 and E6 only. On the affected dates, adult single fares will be £1.50.

Services X1, 12, 18, 18A, X24, X24A and X34 will not operate on the affected days.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-up...:54:48:691
X24 only alternative is the Metro at a cost, X34 - surely shifting the deckers and staff now is most important rather than waiting until November 13th.
Yes, today's strike was cancelled at the 11th hour out of respect to what happened on Lizard Lane. Lot of drivers seem to agree it's the right call.
(01 Nov 2022, 4:46 pm)Michael wrote Just seen this on Facebook:

5 November
15 – 19 November
23 – 24 December
26- 27 December
I know it's all PR, but why don't they ever quote Busways figures from Companie House? Oh yes, that's because Busways made a loss last year.
(01 Nov 2022, 5:31 pm)DeltaMan wrote I know it's all PR, but why don't they ever quote Busways figures from Companie House? Oh yes, that's because Busways made a loss last year.

Busways made a profit of £1m last year from operations, the P&L only shows a loss because of an exceptional charge due to moving pensions around.
Sunderland Echo facebook feed is tipping the other way after good support. 23rd & 24th December have it. Especially being a Friday and Saturday, the last minute shoppers and panic buyers were frothing heavily yesterday..
3.11.22 - Changes to timetables for services 8, 10, 11, 20 and 99 for Saturday 5 November 2022.

8 - hourly
10/11 - hourly
20 - half hourly
99 - not running

Services X1, 12, 18, 18A, 99, X24, X24A and X34 will not operate on the affected days.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(03 Nov 2022, 6:05 pm)Michael wrote 3.11.22 - Changes to timetables for services 8, 10, 11, 20 and 99 for Saturday 5 November 2022. 

8 - hourly
10/11 - hourly
20 - half hourly
99 - not running

Services X1, 12, 18, 18A, 99, X24, X24A and X34 will not operate on the affected days.

Can see this being chaos- metros are also off in Sunderland and there is a home game.
(03 Nov 2022, 6:16 pm)Dans_bus_photos wrote Can see this being chaos- metros are also off in Sunderland and there is a home game.

Oh, I forgot about the metro being off too.

Hopefully they can sort out the pay rise soon or I have a feeling, they'll just continue to strike, they'll be losing more weekly, even more so when the flat fare is going to be £1.50 so I wonder if this will be an excuse for Stagecoach to just cut services and jobs in the depot.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
We want it sorted before Christmas, but the company appears unwilling to talk unless we accept the pay offer. Hopefully it'll get to the point where it's more expensive to cover the strike than pay up, at which point Perth just tell Walker to get a grip.

99 not running will be fun, given it's a contract.
(04 Nov 2022, 10:08 am)F114TML wrote We want it sorted before Christmas, but the company appears unwilling to talk unless we accept the pay offer. Hopefully it'll get to the point where it's more expensive to cover the strike than pay up, at which point Perth just tell Walker to get a grip.

Given the time they operate the timetable to the contracted period of the 8 won't run either.. Nexus fine for that?
(04 Nov 2022, 10:08 am)F114TML wrote We want it sorted before Christmas, but the company appears unwilling to talk unless we accept the pay offer. Hopefully it'll get to the point where it's more expensive to cover the strike than pay up, at which point Perth just tell Walker to get a grip.

Surely the HQ is the one pulling the strings, there's no reason for the local division not to give a wage increase. It's not their shareholders money that's going down so someone will be telling them they can't whether that's directly or a set budget they've been set etc.
(05 Nov 2022, 3:45 pm)Driver9*** wrote So what's the current offer on the table? 4% with half of that deferred until later in the year? No wonder they're striking!
10% across 2 years; split into 4x 6-monthly increases of 4%, 2%, 2% and 2%.
Site Administrator
Sunderland Stagecoach Strike
(05 Nov 2022, 7:50 am)54APhotography wrote Given the time they operate the timetable to the contracted period of the 8 won't run either.. Nexus fine for that?

Or maybe agreed with Nexus.

I’d suggest that the local authority would be willing to turn a blind eye to it, rightly or wrongly - “serve the many, not the few.”

That crucial resource can go into running a service that will actually carry a decent chunk of people.

(05 Nov 2022, 11:09 pm)Dan wrote Or maybe agreed with Nexus.

I’d suggest that the local authority would be willing to turn a blind eye to it, rightly or wrongly - “serve the many, not the few.”

That crucial resource can go into running a service that will actually carry a decent chunk of people.

Perhaps. the 8 on an evening is lightly used, exaggerated by using Gas whereas before it was some small GCT contraption.
(05 Nov 2022, 7:41 pm)F114TML wrote 10% across 2 years; split into 4x 6-monthly increases of 4%, 2%, 2% and 2%.
With inflation currently running at 10% that's a hefty pay cut in real terms.

However some numpty will reply "Yes but nurses are only getting 3%" etc etc, like bus drivers should be grateful for whats on offer.....
(06 Nov 2022, 1:18 pm)Driver9*** wrote With inflation currently running at 10% that's a hefty pay cut in real terms.

However some numpty will reply "Yes but nurses are only getting 3%" etc etc, like bus drivers should be grateful for whats on offer.....
Which is why they're going on strike
I’m sure nurses got a minimum of £1,400 depending on their band, rather than 3%. They were never going to get the 15% or whatever it was they were  asking.

Good luck to the drivers. Manchester; Merseyside and Yorkshire all spring to mind as having decent, in my opinion, settlements recently, for one of the supposed more profitable parts of the Stagecoach bus empire I don’t think asking for  £13-£14 an hour is too outlandish.
(06 Nov 2022, 6:14 pm)Chris 1 wrote I’m sure nurses got a minimum of £1,400 depending on their band, rather than 3%. They were never going to get the 15% or whatever it was they were  asking.

Good luck to the drivers. Manchester; Merseyside and Yorkshire all spring to mind as having decent, in my opinion, settlements recently, for one of the supposed more profitable parts of the Stagecoach bus empire I don’t think asking for  £13-£14  an hour is too outlandish.

bands 1-7 got 1400 as you say so the lower you are paid the higher the % increase. All have been balloted for action and i think its coming!