You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East State Of The Fleet

Go North East State Of The Fleet

RE: State Of The Fleet
I think a lot of the speed has to do with new drivers, I am seeing drivers everyday that i've never seen before and I pass through Park Lane every day on routes such as the 20/60/56 and i've never seen them on the X6/701/700/702/33.
Site Administrator
State Of The Fleet
(22 Jun 2023, 7:49 pm)ne14ne1 wrote It’s been over 3 months. Have they forget to finish the rest?

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(22 Jun 2023, 9:42 pm)Unber43 wrote I think a lot of the speed has to do with new drivers, I am seeing drivers everyday that i've never seen before and I pass through Park Lane every day on routes such as the 20/60/56 and i've never seen them on the X6/701/700/702/33.

Tends to be how bus driving works.....
Kind Regards
Tez
(23 Jun 2023, 5:44 am)Dan wrote No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight and to the point!  I like it.  

TBF a bus is a bus and how many regular punter as going to notice something like this?/  They are more than likely going to just be happy a bus is there to take them to work!
(22 Jun 2023, 9:42 pm)Unber43 wrote I think a lot of the speed has to do with new drivers, I am seeing drivers everyday that i've never seen before and I pass through Park Lane every day on routes such as the 20/60/56 and i've never seen them on the X6/701/700/702/33.

Riverside seems to be bad for moron drivers. I was literally fearing for my life. He swerved onto the opposite side of the road. 

Not just driving, customer service seems to be in very short supply. I was vaping in the queue waiting to get on the 21 and the woman was losing her rag about it. I wasn't even on the bus. Never had that problem with any other driver.
(23 Jun 2023, 6:41 pm)itsadam wrote Riverside seems to be bad for moron drivers. I was literally fearing for my life. He swerved onto the opposite side of the road. 

Not just driving, customer service seems to be in very short supply. I was vaping in the queue waiting to get on the 21 and the woman was losing her rag about it. I wasn't even on the bus. Never had that problem with any other driver.

Maybe don't vape around people, it's vile.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(23 Jun 2023, 6:41 pm)itsadam wrote Riverside seems to be bad for moron drivers. I was literally fearing for my life. He swerved onto the opposite side of the road. 

I know which driver you mean, whilst I don’t condone vaping in a built up queue, she’s absolutely not designed to operate a busy transport corridor. She’s awful to passengers, I had her on a late match day home bus and it was like being back in primary school. She stopped the bus twice because there was some moderate volume singing upstairs, barely audible downstairs. 

I’ve fed back to gne but as ever….lost in the vacuum
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(23 Jun 2023, 9:25 pm)Ambassador wrote I know which driver you mean, whilst I don’t condone vaping in a built up queue, she’s absolutely not designed to operate a busy transport corridor. She’s awful to passengers, I had her on a late match day home bus and it was like being back in primary school. She stopped the bus twice because there was some moderate volume singing upstairs, barely audible downstairs. 

I’ve fed back to gne but as ever….lost in the vacuum

Good job Percy Main is still open then! After the Leicester match on the 23:45 309 ex Newcastle, some drunk bloke banging on top of the panel upstairs covering the destination display shouting the "E-I-E-I-E-I-O" chant at the top of his voice clearly drunk!

Percy Main drivers as a whole are fairly canny though!
There was an "03"!!!! plate DD broken won heading up to wrecketon last night - luchy they were in a bus stop. Engineer was there but he was literally scratching his head when I passed!!
(12 Jun 2023, 8:21 am)Blockybus wrote Most prices were peeled off until new designs were made and printed. In the next few weeks you will see all exterior fares replaced with recruitment adverts. Seen the first Angel done this morning 

https://ibb.co/1ZbkPV4

(25 Jun 2023, 10:23 am)Rob44 wrote There was an "03"!!!! plate DD broken won heading up to wrecketon last night - luchy they were in a bus stop. Engineer was there but he was literally scratching his head when I passed!!

Probably could have been some of the Jh drivers returning to the depot last night after finishing late metro replacement
(23 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Maybe don't vape around people, it's vile.

Totally agree, its ridiculous the amount of youths that vape on the bus
(25 Jun 2023, 1:13 pm)Busu284 wrote Probably could have been some of the Jh drivers returning to the depot last night after finishing late metro replacement

nah it was a GNE bus on the 51 I think
(22 Jun 2023, 8:38 pm)itsadam wrote If there's gonna be another bus crash, it's gonna be 6310. Driver was driving like an absolute nutter

Something similar on Monday with a driver driving like a nutter on 657 in sunderland which led him to bumping mirrors with a broken down coach.

Basically on Monday one of TravelStar's NX levantes broke down at the lights going through Chester Road by the uni (the way the coaches leave sunderland heading north) obviously the driver had hazards flashing however when over taking the driver on 657 abselooutely floors it past the broken coach, thinking their in fast and furious, clearly not checking their mirrors and hits their N/S mirror off the levantes O/S mirror with enough force to turn the mirror forward and crack it and despite the loud bang speeds off without checking what damage they've caused. Luckily a GNE engineer who had seen the broken coach and was assisting and 2 members off staff from Deptford looked high up the depot hierarchy who were dealing with an incident over the road were both there to witness. Hopefully the driver on 657 was dealt with as surely its comon knowledge that if you overtake a large vehicle with hazards on with care and give it room all it would take was someone to walk out infront of the coach and the driver on 657 would be looking at jail time for death by careless driving.
5370 is hasn't got any power still even though it has been off since the back end of November. The front display, the door side part is still dimmed. The back display has a lot of dead pixels. 5372 is the worst one, it went up the Mill-Inn Bank at 4mph, which is worse than what it did before it got took out of service for months. I would really like to see how 5370/72 would do on the X30 going up that massive bank in Whickham. God help both of them if they ever need to go on the A19 like crawling at 30 MPH.
(26 Jun 2023, 10:18 am)nova347 wrote 5370 is hasn't got any power still even though it has been off since the back end of November. The front display, the door side part is still dimmed. The back display has a lot of dead pixels. 5372 is the worst one, it went up the Mill-Inn Bank at 4mph, which is worse than what it did before it got took out of service for months. I would really like to see how 5370/72 would do on the X30 going up that massive bank in Whickham. God help both of them if they ever need to go on the A19 like crawling at 30 MPH.

I did overtake a drifter the other day on the A19 - didn't get the number annoyingly. It was on Staff Shuttle work (according to the destination screen anyway) and was doing about 30-40mph. I think at one point it even had its hazards on.

Also regards the driving standards convo - I haven't worked for GNE but I know an ex-GNE driver who said the timetables are extremely tight, and some of them absolutely impossible, which would go a long way to explaining the driving standards. Our service 3 is similar - you can either follow the 20 limits in the estates, or follow the timetable; you can't have both except on a select few journeys that are very quiet.
(26 Jun 2023, 10:18 am)nova347 wrote 5370 is hasn't got any power still even though it has been off since the back end of November. The front display, the door side part is still dimmed. The back display has a lot of dead pixels. 5372 is the worst one, it went up the Mill-Inn Bank at 4mph, which is worse than what it did before it got took out of service for months. I would really like to see how 5370/72 would do on the X30 going up that massive bank in Whickham. God help both of them if they ever need to go on the A19 like crawling at 30 MPH.

Is that why 5370 and 5372 seems to be spend an awfully lot of time on the 5/9/26 circuit? I don’t particularly know the South Tyneside routes well, is there no uphill stretches around there? The 60 route I hardly difficult though, just the Mill Inn Bank really - is that too much for them?! Perhaps they might struggle at Heathway too!
(26 Jun 2023, 1:25 pm)Drifter60 wrote Is that why 5370 and 5372 seems to be spend an awfully lot of time on the 5/9/26 circuit? I don’t particularly know the South Tyneside routes well, is there no uphill stretches around there? The 60 route I hardly difficult though, just the Mill Inn Bank really - is that too much for them?! Perhaps they might struggle at Heathway too!
I'm not sure but it does seem like 69/73 also spend a lot of time on the South Tyneside Circuit, and they're pretty poor as well, as well as 71. So. I've been on 70/72/73 multiple times when the engine just refuses to give any power, wether its being stuck at a bus stop, or lights or getting stuck reversing out of park lane. Its happened so many times where the engine revs it just wont move.
(26 Jun 2023, 10:38 am)F114TML wrote
Also regards the driving standards convo - I haven't worked for GNE but I know an ex-GNE driver who said the timetables are extremely tight, and some of them absolutely impossible, which would go a long way to explaining the driving standards. Our service 3 is similar - you can either follow the 20 limits in the estates, or follow the timetable; you can't have both except on a select few journeys that are very quiet.

You have no idea how reading that makes me angry. It's 20 for a reason ?
(26 Jun 2023, 2:45 pm)idiot wrote You have no idea how reading that makes me angry. It's 20 for a reason ?

I agree with you - but at the same time bus operators take bugger all notice when speed limits change on routes and the pressure is then put onto the drivers to try to keep to time when they are already struggling - or told to keep it going whilst you get later and later and end up picking up the next journey's passengers as well.  As a new driver you have this added pressure amongst everything else that goes with being a new driver.  Just another example why GNE and other service bus industries are completely broken.
(26 Jun 2023, 10:38 am)F114TML wrote I did overtake a drifter the other day on the A19 - didn't get the number annoyingly. It was on Staff Shuttle work (according to the destination screen anyway) and was doing about 30-40mph. I think at one point it even had its hazards on.

Some GNE routes do have tight timetables like. But one thing I've noticed is with Contracted routes like the GCT 71 are quite tightly timed as well.
The 60 also has the bit at Seaham where it a 50 plus at Ryhope too. Also lets not forget they've been running that route for 10 years, age is definetly catching upto them. I know a driver was complaining about 5372 when it first came back as it was going still very slow and said that apparently it got a new engine and that they should ask for their money back

Also the 5370 display is still half dimmed, which has been an issue for well over a year now
(27 Jun 2023, 9:54 am)F114TML wrote That 50 limit at Ryhope only lasts a few hundred yards at most.

Between A1018/B1522 roundabout and Seaham Grange roundabout? I'm my experience as a traveller and when on the bike, buses don't race along that short stretch.
(27 Jun 2023, 9:58 am)54APhotography wrote Between A1018/B1522 roundabout and Seaham Grange roundabout? I'm my experience as a traveller and when on the bike, buses don't race along that short stretch.

Aye that's the one I'm on about, that short dual carriageway. In a bus it's not really worth racing along - you reach 50 then have to slow down for the roundabout.
Some drivers do it at 30, some do it at 50, the most i've seen is 52 on that stretch. However I have been on some 60s which have done over 55mph on the route

Passed 5370 on 56 today rear display has more missing pixels than working. No side display, front display 50% dimmed
(28 Jun 2023, 2:34 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Looks like one of the X21s was a bit poorly at Bishop Bus Station, there's a load of sand under where the engine would have been and running the length of the bus station.

What is the plan to eventually replace the B5TL's on the X21 once they hit 8 year old? Surely they can't keep doing the X21 beyond that given they were hammered early on on their lives doing the X9/X10.
(29 Jun 2023, 9:33 am)L469 YVK wrote What is the plan to eventually replace the B5TL's on the X21 once they hit 8 year old? Surely they can't keep doing the X21 beyond that given they were hammered early on on their lives doing the X9/X10.
The B5s have been fairly reliable on the X21 though haven't they?
Certainly much more so than the first batch of Streetdecks they replaced