You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East State Of The Fleet

RE: State Of The Fleet
(07 Sep 2023, 9:51 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Are all 4/5 examples of these still in service, weren't they the ones with the higher capacity that started to transfer from Brighton then the rest were binned off before transfer?

I’m not sure. I’ve had 6167 this week too. I love the legroom but they are utterly archaic inside 

They seem to struggle past 30 on the coast road!
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Site Administrator
State Of The Fleet
(07 Sep 2023, 9:51 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Are all 4/5 examples of these still in service, weren't they the ones with the higher capacity that started to transfer from Brighton then the rest were binned off before transfer?

Yes, all at Percy Main.

Usually used on schools and on the 327 during busy DFDS days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Site Administrator
State Of The Fleet
(07 Sep 2023, 10:36 pm)Ambassador wrote I’m not sure. I’ve had 6167 this week too. I love the legroom but they are utterly archaic inside 

They seem to struggle past 30 on the coast road!

I drove 6167 just a week or two ago and it went very well - possibly a slow driver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
State Of The Fleet
As an infrequent bus user I had the dubious pleasure of 6308 yesterday.

One of the hottest days and the vehicle has the internal heating locked on full. Checked with the driver in case it was a throw a switch job and he confirmed that the heating was locked on and had been reported twice on the palmpilot and nothing had been fine about it.

An absolutely unbearable journey for those involved and I might suggest a potential health risk as some is the passengers were elderly and there were also pregnant passengers onboard.

Considering this is supposed to be a premium service this has done nothing to tempt me out of the car (in fact the reverse).

Is GNE really running on such a shoe string that this vehicle could not have been replaced? Especially as the defect had apparently already been reported twice.

Some aspects of the standard of driving on a separate inbound journey on the A1 (leaving a safe distance from the vehicle in front at high speed) also left a lot to be desired.

As in irregular user an extremely poor show from GNE.

Sent from my moto g(9) power using Tapatalk
(10 Sep 2023, 8:38 am)durhambusman wrote As an infrequent bus user I had the dubious pleasure of 6308 yesterday.

One of the hottest days and the vehicle has the internal heating locked on full. Checked with the driver in case it was a throw a switch job and he confirmed that the heating was locked on and had been reported twice on the palmpilot and nothing had been fine about it.

An absolutely unbearable journey for those involved and I might suggest a potential health risk as some is the passengers were elderly and there were also pregnant passengers onboard.

Considering this is supposed to be a premium service this has done nothing to tempt me out of the car (in fact the reverse).

Is GNE really running on such a shoe string that this vehicle could not have been replaced? Especially as the defect had apparently already been reported twice.

Some aspects of the standard of driving on a separate inbound journey on the A1 (leaving a safe distance from the vehicle in front at high speed) also left a lot to be desired.

As a former driver I've come across this a few times. Leaving the heating on is normally a trick used to stop the vehicle overheating. This was because at least the bus is moving despite the conditions for passengers and the driver being close to unbearable.
(06 Sep 2023, 8:22 am)streetdeckfan wrote Something I noticed yesterday is they don't seem to put route numbers on the cove vinyls anymore, just the route info. 

I noticed this when we had an X10 E400 on the X21 yesterday, it didn't mention X10 anywhere, and thinking about it I don't remember seeing X45/X46 on the green Streetdecks anymore either.

Fairly sure the X21 B5s still have X21 on them though?

As a sidenote, the B5s are much nicer on the motorway than the E400s, I think even the Streetdecks were quieter!

As long as they don't go to 'Gibdside' or 'Anwick', like the coving promos on the Voyager Omni's suggest you visit, you're alright.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
State Of The Fleet
On 6339 from Newcastle to Consett and I have to say the E400's build quality Is rubbish. With the rain, whenever it goes over a bump you can see the hopper windows moving. Passengers sitting upstairs are getting a rain shower inside the bus!

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
RE: Go North East State Of The Fleet
(10 Sep 2023, 9:13 pm)Malarkey wrote From doing some calculations 128 of the 523 Buses in fleet currently are Second/Third Hand = 24.47%
Is it second hand if it's from within the same group?

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(11 Sep 2023, 1:19 am)streetdeckfan wrote Is it second hand if it's from within the same group?

Yes I would say second hand if they were not new to the operator.

Also i thought it would be more than 25%

Also i thought it would be more than 25%
(10 Sep 2023, 1:56 pm)morritt89 wrote As a former driver I've come across this a few times. Leaving the heating on is normally a trick used to stop the vehicle overheating. This was because at least the bus is moving despite the conditions for passengers and the driver being close to unbearable.
Buses typically allocated to X9/X10 are probs one of the worst offenders over the years from my experiences in the NE at least, remember once getting 3942 on X9 when it was silver Metro Radio liveried, top deck in middle of winter, blasting up the A19, multiple windows open, still too warm.
(10 Sep 2023, 8:38 am)durhambusman wrote As an infrequent bus user I had the dubious pleasure of 6308 yesterday.

Had the same thing a couple of years ago on 6334 on the X21. Boiling hot upstairs even on the A1, ended up with an ill passenger (really not nice) and all sat downstairs after Durham. Again I’m an irregular user so not a good look.
(14 Sep 2023, 12:18 am)jason85 wrote Had the same thing a couple of years ago on 6334 on the X21. Boiling hot upstairs even on the A1, ended up with an ill passenger (really not nice) and all sat downstairs after Durham. Again I’m an irregular user so not a good look.

After all these years of development they still can't get a simple thing as heating right. I've been on several buses where there was heat belching out on hot summer days but freezing cold in the winter only to be told that it was a fitters job to turn the heating on and off and the driver had no control over it.
(14 Sep 2023, 6:49 pm)Tiger5105 wrote 5404 feeling poorly tonight![Image: 500431dbe1aeedcfea11e1e506cd4214.jpg]

If you look closely, you will see it's actually a wingmirror issue and they've just gone a bit OTT with getting it home.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 Sep 2023, 7:42 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote Is Consett Short on Buses?
First 6071 (Tyne Valley 10) Arrived, now today 6147 (DFDS Green) is here doing the Scholars.

The Green Arrow E200MMC's have all gone on loan to Go North West until there New Buses arrive later this year, they also have of 8 Swindon's E200MMC's covering PVR ahead of the BEE Network Launch so of course allocations at Consett have been all of the place over the past few days with Ex East Yorkshire / London B9's being allocated to the 6.

https://bustimes.org/operators/go-north-west/vehicles - Go North West Fleet List

Also 6332 has joined 6361 down their for Driver Familiarisation  Go North West are due to be taking the Vantage B5LH's off of First Manchester, I believe the configurations are similar in the drivers cab.
(14 Sep 2023, 7:21 pm)Andreos1 wrote If you look closely, you will see it's actually a wingmirror issue and they've just gone a bit OTT with getting it home.
I take it that it must be the drivers side mirror? I have looked closely and they both seem in tact, other than the drivers one is on a slight angle.

(14 Sep 2023, 7:21 pm)Andreos1 wrote If you look closely, you will see it's actually a wingmirror issue and they've just gone a bit OTT with getting it home.

I laughed far too much at this
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Does 6308 have an issue with the engine?

It really struggled getting up the bank at Coundon compared to the other B5s, if my gear counting is accurate it had to drop down to first to get up.

It feels like there's a lack of boost, very similar to when we had a vacuum leak on our Diesel Smart car (800cc of non-turbo diesel is...entertaining) and it was keeping the wastegate open

(15 Sep 2023, 10:16 am)streetdeckfan wrote Does 6308 have an issue with the engine?

It really struggled getting up the bank at Coundon compared to the other B5s, if my gear counting is accurate it had to drop down to first to get up.

It feels like there's a lack of boost, very similar to when we had a vacuum leak on our Diesel Smart car (800cc of non-turbo diesel is...entertaining) and it was keeping the wastegate open

More that likely gone into limp mode, normally turning the engine off and back on cures it until the next time it happens, very dodgy pulling out onto a roundabout and it does it.

Can normally tell when the B5s go into limp mode and they'll sit in first gear at about 1500rpm and not change up
Views and Opinions are my own