You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes
(24 Sep 2023, 6:17 pm)Storx wrote Bad utilisation of resources that imo.

It would be much better to have it as (all hourly)

19: Ashington to North Shields via Bedlington Station
57: Ashington to Whitley Bay via Choppington
57A: Cramlington to Whitley Bay via Seghill omitting High Pit (run direct from Annitsford).

Means you would have a 30 minutes service from Avenue Head to Cramlington towards Ashington and vice versa since the 19 is already there anyway. Not to mention you'd reopen the Cobalt and North Shields from Bedlington and beyond links. I assume it's now 20/40 towards Ashington under this timetable and give some much needed layover on the 57A with a faster route into Cramlington rather than the 57A and 19 following each other through High Pit like they do currently. Could also potentially renumber one of them so all the numbers are together aswell.

I'm not sure on the timing pattern/layover of the 19 on the southern end, but it seems to be timed as 34 minutes between Cramlington and Ashington so you couldn't do there and back in an hour. The 57A is timed as 26 minutes so is easily achievable within 1 hour, with only 1 extra bus, and with a decent chunk of layover.
The X14 also looks to have increased to hourly to Thropton (though there is still no 15:00 M-F, due to it doing the 15:45 Longframlington short for scholars), with all boards running throughout the day rather than parking up at various points as they do currently.
(24 Sep 2023, 6:35 pm)mb134 wrote I'm not sure on the timing pattern/layover of the 19 on the southern end, but it seems to be timed as 34 minutes between Cramlington and Ashington so you couldn't do there and back in an hour. The 57A is timed as 26 minutes so is easily achievable within 1 hour, with only 1 extra bus, and with a decent chunk of layover.

Was thinking how the heck is that is doing that in 26 minutes and it seems the 57A is skipping Bedlington completely which seems a bit of a bizarre route..

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/55.18411...?entry=ttu - Seems to be doing that route.

If they done that route, then it should be easily doable though with the 19. It's 61 / 50 minutes the timing on the 19. 

I'm sure the Solo's will enjoy blasting along the Spine Road, give it a few weeks before one goes bang.
(24 Sep 2023, 6:54 pm)Storx wrote Was thinking how the heck is that is doing that in 26 minutes and it seems the 57A is skipping Bedlington completely which seems a bit of a bizarre route..

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/55.18411...?entry=ttu - Seems to be doing that route.

If they done that route, then it should be easily doable though with the 19. It's 61 / 50 minutes the timing on the 19. 

I'm sure the Solo's will enjoy blasting along the Spine Road, give it a few weeks before one goes bang.

I imagine that's the chosen route so that it restores the Cramlington link to Bedlington Station and Stakeford in as quick a journey time as possible, and it doesn't need to serve Bedlington since that's now served by an enhanced 43. 

Ticketing wise, it probably makes more sense to give the 57A extension to Arriva given you can time it nicely into the current pattern and customers can use the same weekly/monthly passes they'd use on the rest of the services in the area?
(24 Sep 2023, 7:02 pm)mb134 wrote I imagine that's the chosen route so that it restores the Cramlington link to Bedlington Station and Stakeford in as quick a journey time as possible, and it doesn't need to serve Bedlington since that's now served by an enhanced 43. 

Ticketing wise, it probably makes more sense to give the 57A extension to Arriva given you can time it nicely into the current pattern and customers can use the same weekly/monthly passes they'd use on the rest of the services in the area?

Aye that's true, seems an odd one mind, thought it would've just been the 57 every 30 minutes tbh. Mind it does seem very tight. Unless I'm riding a motorbike, I wouldn't like to have 8 minutes to get from Bedlington Station to Shankhouse at rush hour. You'd struggle to get from the A189 to Laverick Hall on the A192, never mind the rest of it.

Yeah that's true, it's a shame that Arriva - ignoring operational issues etc, don't have the 19 for that exact reason. It's like the odd child in an area dominated by them currently. Obviously we should have integrated travel ignoring operator though for those tickets - let's be honest.

Mind I'm surprised they haven't looked at adding 1 bus to the two short 43's an extending it through to East Hartford and binning off the pointless 58. I don't think I've ever seen a single person on it between Cramlington and Seaton Sluice and it's covered by other services the rest of the route nowadays anyway.
PB0002717/389 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Whitby to Scarborough
Service number: X93
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 06 Nov 2023

PB0002717/388 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Guisborough to Whitby
Service number: 2X93 (X93)

PB0002717/387 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Middlesbrough to Guisborough
Service type: Limited Stop

PB0002717/308 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Whitby to Loftus
Service number: X4 (X4A)

PB0002717/309 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Middlesbrough to Easington

PB0002717/354 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Middlesbrough to Lingdale/New Marske
Service number: X3 (X2, X3A)

PB0002717/303 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Middlesbrough to Grangetown
Service number: 64 (64A)
Effective date: 05 Nov 2023
From this Sunday (October 1st) until the end of the summer season (October 22nd), DalesBus 831 will be diverted between Reeth & Hawes via Grinton, Carperby, Askrigg and Bainbridge due to a road closure in Muker for the next 7 weeks. https://www.dalesbus.org/uploads/1/1/3/9...27/831.pdf
(25 Sep 2023, 9:50 am)Kuyoyo wrote PB0002717/389 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Whitby to Scarborough

PB0002717/388 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Guisborough to Whitby
Service number: 2X93 (X93)

PB0002717/387 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Middlesbrough to Guisborough

PB0002717/308 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Whitby to Loftus

PB0002717/309 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Middlesbrough to Easington

PB0002717/354 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Middlesbrough to Lingdale/New Marske
Service number: X3 (X2, X3A)

PB0002717/303 Registered
ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD
Route: Middlesbrough to Grangetown
Service number: 64 (64A)
Effective date: 05 Nov 2023

Now confirmed by Arriva: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/latest-news/...hitby-area
X16 route map & 57A route map now available on bustimes.org

57A map is something wow and the X16 is taking a different way to the X14/5/8
(11 Oct 2023, 12:37 pm)Aaron21 wrote X16 route map & 57A route map now available on bustimes.org

57A map is something wow and the X16 is taking a different way to the X14/5/8

X16 is taking the same route as X14/X15/X18 between Newcastle & Morpeth Bus Station, as before.
(11 Oct 2023, 12:43 pm)Jimmi wrote X16 is taking the same route as X14/X15/X18 between Newcastle & Morpeth as before.

Do the X14/15/18 go via Morpeth rail station
(11 Oct 2023, 12:45 pm)Aaron21 wrote Do the X14/15/18 go via Morpeth rail station

Not as such, serves the stops by Mafeking Roundabout. Only bus to stop outside the station itself is service 436, services 2 & 43 stop on Shields Road.
(14 Oct 2023, 11:05 am)Thomas12 wrote Confirmation of changes in Tyne and Wear/Northumberland - https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/latest-news/...yne-&-wear

Does anyone know who and what are running these? Blyth doesn't have any driver's as it is to be running more buses and Ashington is extremely sparse on buses to be running more work. There's not enough minibuses as it is to be running an extra board for example.
(14 Oct 2023, 9:16 pm)Storx wrote Does anyone know who and what are running these? Blyth doesn't have any driver's as it is to be running more buses and Ashington is extremely sparse on buses to be running more work. There's not enough minibuses as it is to be running an extra board for example.

Ashington will be running the X16, extra X14s, 57A, and some of the new evening/weekend 43s I believe.
(14 Oct 2023, 9:16 pm)Storx wrote Does anyone know who and what are running these? Blyth doesn't have any driver's as it is to be running more buses and Ashington is extremely sparse on buses to be running more work. There's not enough minibuses as it is to be running an extra board for example.

The X16 is two additional vehicles and will operate from Ashington. I understand there will be a fleet movement of two Pulsars from Redcar to Durham, which in turn will allow 1512 and 1513 I believe to transfer back north. Redcar have a PVR decrease from 29th October (minus 2) and then again on the 6th November (minus 6).

As for the 57/57A, 2852 has been officially in reserve waiting for this PVR increase already. It will simply slot into their allocation (even though they have been using it, it hasn't officially been on their allocation). Its an intentional position to only give Ashington the exact number of Midibuses for the required allocation. I believe plans already underway to convert the 57/57A to conventional operation in the new year.
(14 Oct 2023, 9:24 pm)RobinHood wrote The X16 is two additional vehicles and will operate from Ashington. I understand there will be a fleet movement of two Pulsars from Redcar to Durham, which in turn will allow 1512 and 1513 I believe to transfer back north. Redcar have a PVR decrease from 29th October (minus 2) and then again on the 6th November (minus 6).

As for the 57/57A, 2852 has been officially in reserve waiting for this PVR increase already. It will simply slot into their allocation (even though they have been using it, it hasn't officially been on their allocation). Its an intentional position to only give Ashington the exact number of Midibuses for the required allocation. I believe plans already underway to convert the 57/57A to conventional operation in the new year.

Good for the route that they're getting 1512/13 which are more comparable to the other vehicles on the corridor.

BIB: If what I've heard is correct, this will start to come into effect in an upcoming rota change.
(14 Oct 2023, 11:05 am)Thomas12 wrote Confirmation of changes in Tyne and Wear/Northumberland - https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/latest-news/...yne-&-wear

From these changes it has the 1 on an evening as leaving Ashington at 19.44, 20.44 then at xx.49 yet all runs arrive at xx.48, will they be interworking off something?
(14 Oct 2023, 9:24 pm)RobinHood wrote The X16 is two additional vehicles and will operate from Ashington. I understand there will be a fleet movement of two Pulsars from Redcar to Durham, which in turn will allow 1512 and 1513 I believe to transfer back north. Redcar have a PVR decrease from 29th October (minus 2) and then again on the 6th November (minus 6).

WHAT. We're getting 1512/1513 back. Hopefully yay

Hope something is done with the 57/57A. How there still mini buses is astonishing to me. The route gets busy to allocat a full bus to it. And I can see that being the case in these changes
Hopefully maybe Then it's 1433 and 39 which are in Newcastle region at the moment.
In terms of the 6 well that could be 3 ex London deckers and either the solos or some temsa. Maybe even 1534

What's the 29th October PVR decrease at Redcar related to? And is the November one not 5 - 3 on the X93 and 2 on the P1/P2?
(14 Oct 2023, 9:23 pm)mb134 wrote Ashington will be running the X16, extra X14s, 57A, and some of the new evening/weekend 43s I believe.

Thanks for that, all makes sense. Had a feel Ashington might have been doing the 43 extra boards since Blyth is seriously struggling again, been a bit of a mess the past 2 days.

Interesting to see they're finally planning to get shot of the Solo's. Assuming there's going to be cuts somewhere or alternatively some buses coming in from somewhere?
(14 Oct 2023, 10:35 pm)peter wrote What's the 29th October PVR decrease at Redcar related to? And is the November one not 5 - 3 on the X93 and 2 on the P1/P2?

The 29th decrease is related to some peak time only work that is currently being operated for Mbro College. That will be merged into the normal boards and releases two vehicles.

November is actually 6, yes. It's 2 from P&R and 4 from X93/94 (as Whitby also have an extra board that only does a morning round trip between Whitby and Scarborough, often this one is overlooked).
(15 Oct 2023, 6:10 am)RobinHood wrote The 29th decrease is related to some peak time only work that is currently being operated for Mbro College. That will be merged into the normal boards and releases two vehicles.

November is actually 6, yes. It's 2 from P&R and 4 from X93/94 (as Whitby also have an extra board that only does a morning round trip between Whitby and Scarborough, often this one is overlooked).

Ah okay thanks for confirming, forget about the early Whitby board. 

So if two pulsars are going from Redcar to Durham displacing 1512/1513 for the X16, what's the plan with 1538/39 now, are they still going back to Ashington? If those return with 7575 and 7576 plus a couple more Pulsars freed up by 7425/26's release off the X93 and 7609/10's off the P1/P2 for the winter, there'd probably be enough to convert the 57/57A to full size vehicles (at least in the short term until next summer)

should leave Redcar pulsars alone it should be the streetlites  or the two resver pulsars at Stockton could easily go to Durham
(15 Oct 2023, 9:49 pm)megansmith wrote should leave Redcar pulsars alone it should be the streetlites  or the two resver pulsars at Stockton could easily go to Durham

What reserve Pulsars at Stockton? 1428/57 both re-entered service in September when the Middlesbrough College services resumed - although at present they are technically stand-alone boards, they do tend to allocate a MAX Pulsar to one of them which then drops onto the 8.55 X12 (as it will do after half term anyway) allowing Stockton the extra spare vehicles that other depots enjoy long-term. Let's not also forget the transfer of 1431 to Stockton to replace 1923/2858 is still outstanding (2710 is here instead for the week and 1431 will come over in exchange on Sunday).
I’m not saying it’s going to happen but wouldn’t it be better if 1408/1411 transfers up to Newcastle for the X16 with Darlingtons loan 1538/9 then that could add up to 4 vehicles for the X16 then 1512/3 could transfer to Darlington to replace 1408/11 while 2 pulsars transfers or goes on loan to Durham to replace 1512/3, 1408/11 used to be X16 branded so wouldn’t it be better to send them up to Newcastle to allow 1512/3 to transfer to Darlington to replace 1408/11 then 2 pulsars from Redcar can move to Durham to replace 1512/3 if Redcars PVR is decreasing but like I said above I know it probably won’t happen but it’s just a random guess that’s all
(18 Oct 2023, 4:28 am)Spottybus wrote I’m not saying it’s going to happen but wouldn’t it be better if 1408/1411 transfers up to Newcastle for the X16 with Darlingtons loan 1538/9 then that could add up to 4 vehicles for the X16 then 1512/3 could transfer to Darlington to replace 1408/11 while 2 pulsars transfers or goes on loan to Durham to replace 1512/3, 1408/11 used to be X16 branded so wouldn’t it be better to send them up to Newcastle to allow 1512/3 to transfer to Darlington to replace 1408/11 then 2 pulsars from Redcar can move to Durham to replace 1512/3 if Redcars PVR is decreasing but like I said above I know it probably won’t happen but it’s just a random guess that’s all

1408/11 aren’t CAZ compliant - hence why, when 1411 was at Stockton, it wasn’t meant to be used on Newcastle X12s (it did escape onto the last full round trip once but that will have got a fine).
(18 Oct 2023, 4:28 am)Spottybus wrote I’m not saying it’s going to happen but wouldn’t it be better if 1408/1411 transfers up to Newcastle for the X16 with Darlingtons loan 1538/9 then that could add up to 4 vehicles for the X16 then 1512/3 could transfer to Darlington to replace 1408/11 while 2 pulsars transfers or goes on loan to Durham to replace 1512/3, 1408/11 used to be X16 branded so wouldn’t it be better to send them up to Newcastle to allow 1512/3 to transfer to Darlington to replace 1408/11 then 2 pulsars from Redcar can move to Durham to replace 1512/3 if Redcars PVR is decreasing but like I said above I know it probably won’t happen but it’s just a random guess that’s all

Imo it would make much more sense to do

1579/1580, 1584-1589 to Ashington
1537-1541 to Darlington
1433, 1439 to Durham

1/2/57/57A/X16 - PVR 14 (1 board a decker)
1574 - 1589 - 16 Buses
2852/3/4/9 - Withdrawn / reserve

Would sort out pointless microfleets all over the place.