You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Redcar depot
(15 Feb 2024, 1:37 am)Mike_98 wrote To be fair they will wait till summer timetables start and see what needs transferring around. Hopefully some 400MMCs will be back again along the Yorkshire Coast.

From what I have heard, 7578, 7579, 7580 and 7581 are all planned to permanently transfer to Redcar at Easter, with the B7s going to scrap.

It requires the E300s to all go into service at Darlington first, to kick off a regionwide cascade plan, but apparently it's been approved and depot managers are aware.
(15 Feb 2024, 7:42 am)RobinHood wrote From what I have heard, 7578, 7579, 7580 and 7581 are all planned to permanently transfer to Redcar at Easter, with the B7s going to scrap.

It requires the E300s to all go into service at Darlington first, to kick off a regionwide cascade plan, but apparently it's been approved and depot managers are aware.
So if they do permanently transfer to Redcar.  And the b7s go for scrap 
What is going to take their place. 

In terms of the e300s all due mot but what is the purpose of them going to Darlington
Redcar depot
(15 Feb 2024, 7:55 am)Ryland wrote So if they do permanently transfer to Redcar.  And the b7s go for scrap 
What is going to take their place. 

In terms of the e300s all due mot but what is the purpose of them going to Darlington

The E400s would replace the B7s…
Believe 1538/9 are due to return to Ashington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(15 Feb 2024, 7:42 am)RobinHood wrote From what I have heard, 7578, 7579, 7580 and 7581 are all planned to permanently transfer to Redcar at Easter, with the B7s going to scrap.

Obviously makes complete sense to send 10+ year old saloons north to replace 1 year old deckers which are used on demanding express services.

Interesting. If that’s the case they should transfer over 7575 & 7576 as there the 2 which proved themselves last summer that they can cope with the route. People say if the bus is the same it doesn’t matter. It actually does matter as some buses in certain batches actually perform differently. It’s strange but that’s how it goes in the engineering world that you will have a few bad apples in a big batch of great ones. Also just realized that you said them 4 will be replacing Redcars 3? To be fair Redcar does need spare deckers

The E300s soo far have been a waste of time. 1351 still operating but has been having some issues. People say 1355 might not return and is sat at Stockton going for scrap and the rest are still sat in Durham depot needing whatever done to them plus some mots.
Some good things finally happening for Redcar whitby though we'll over due for the ALX400 off to scrap from last year's episode with them in the summer weren't much use at all
(15 Feb 2024, 8:14 am)tyresmoke wrote The E400s would replace the B7s…
Believe 1538/9 are due to return to Ashington

I understand Stockton are to release 1404/5 to Ashington as well - no longer an issue with the Streetlite allocation at Stockton now.
(15 Feb 2024, 8:34 am)mb134 wrote Obviously makes complete sense to send 10+ year old saloons north to replace 1 year old deckers which are used on demanding express services.

Likely more about using the tools you have in the most balanced way.

The X93 is equally as demanding, and arguably more profitable. Probably justified the moves just on that point alone.

Companies house can evidence that Durham County is significantly more profitable than Northumbria. However, Ashington get new buses more regularly, simply because of the mileage, not necessarily their financial performance.
(15 Feb 2024, 10:51 am)RobinHood wrote Likely more about using the tools you have in the most balanced way.

The X93 is equally as demanding, and arguably more profitable. Probably justified the moves just on that point alone.

Companies house can evidence that Durham County is significantly more profitable than Northumbria. However, Ashington get new buses more regularly, simply because of the mileage, not necessarily their financial performance.

It's very hard to compare the two based on areas alone. Arriva Stockton and Darlington, in particular, have some very strong routes which are goldmines, not to mention stuff like the 63 or the complete mess that was Jesmond during this period - which is now gone.

The fact there has been no frequency reductions at Ashington and Redcar has been butchered to bits post Covid, personally, would suggest the opposite, including forcing the X93 into the 5 timings suggests those routes aren't as strong as some suggest. The X93 at this time of year carts around fresh air most the time whereas the X14 and X15 on the non subsidised areas (guaranteed profit) are decent loads all year round.

Not to mention I'd argue the X21/X22 are some of the strongest routes in the whole North East.
(15 Feb 2024, 10:51 am)RobinHood wrote Companies house can evidence that Durham County is significantly more profitable than Northumbria. However, Ashington get new buses more regularly, simply because of the mileage, not necessarily their financial performance.

So the new buses were ordered because of higher mileage, which in some cases is higher now than when they were ordered given the extra X14s and extra Belford X18s as two examples, and are now being replaced with near end of life 2009 registered Pulsars?

So it's a capacity decrease, significant decrease in vehicle age and quality, and likely a decrease in reliability too. 

There's no benefit to anyone here (Stockton and Darlington are losing out too) bar the problem depot, who will somehow still manage to break these year old buses and the X93 passengers will still be rammed onto a Temsa.
(15 Feb 2024, 11:49 am)mb134 wrote So the new buses were ordered because of higher mileage, which in some cases is higher now than when they were ordered given the extra X14s and extra Belford X18s as two examples, and are now being replaced with near end of life 2009 registered Pulsars?

So it's a capacity decrease, significant decrease in vehicle age and quality, and likely a decrease in reliability too. 

There's no benefit to anyone here (Stockton and Darlington are losing out too) bar the problem depot, who will somehow still manage to break these year old buses and the X93 passengers will still be rammed onto a Temsa.

There won't brake these there we're a successful trail last year 
(15 Feb 2024, 11:49 am)mb134 wrote So the new buses were ordered because of higher mileage, which in some cases is higher now than when they were ordered given the extra X14s and extra Belford X18s as two examples, and are now being replaced with near end of life 2009 registered Pulsars?

I do genuinely believe if there were spare experienced engineers / mechanics, Redcar would sack some of theirs and get new ones. The problem is, a shortage in the engineering trade at the moment. If the buses ain't being drove the way there supposed to be then we can put fault on the drivers. Last summer, I don't think the drivers got trained on the MMC's. They were just given it to drive which shouldn't be happening. Redcars depot should be trained on driving new vehicles with all the new technologies so when newer buses inevitably arrive, they will be at least some sort of ready to use them. Also, you would need to train Redcars engineers on how to deal with newer buses too as there only familiar with Pulsars, Temsas, Streetlites, B9's and Solos.

Also for this summer, if the MMC's do arrive. They should be training the X93/94 Drivers on them first. Last year they didn't have a clue some of them. They were shocked when the engine shut off when the doors opened and came on when they closed.
Redcar depot

Why would Stockton need it for & you are completely wrong there, Stockton doesn’t destroy buses & it’s not even Stocktons fault that windows have been put through can’t say much about Redcar they are just the same

(15 Feb 2024, 12:59 pm)Spottybus wrote Why would Stockton need it for & you are completely wrong there, Stockton doesn’t destroy buses & it’s not even Stocktons fault that windows have been put through can’t say much about Redcar they are just the same

What's this about, no-one has mentioned Stockton in a negative way? Guessing you're on a different page and misquoted?
(15 Feb 2024, 12:59 pm)Spottybus wrote Why would Stockton need it for & you are completely wrong there, Stockton doesn’t destroy buses & it’s not even Stocktons fault that windows have been put through can’t say much about Redcar they are just the same

Stockton are losing more pulsars 1404 05 that's why u in a foul mood again ???????????

Your completely wrong to because Redcar don't brake buses it's not Redcar fault that their issues so maybe think about before pointing or blame Redcar
(15 Feb 2024, 3:10 pm)Mark66t wrote Your completely wrong to because Redcar don't brake buses it's not Redcar fault that their issues so maybe think about before pointing or blame Redcar

There's clearly an issue at Redcar. 
Whether that's staffing, competence, budgets or something else.

The challenges are not unique to Redcar, but it's obviously something that needs fixing.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(15 Feb 2024, 4:43 pm)Andreos1 wrote There's clearly an issue at Redcar. 
Whether that's staffing, competence, budgets or something else.

The challenges are not unique to Redcar, but it's obviously something that needs fixing.

Yep. They definitely need to get the depot fixed. Like I say, once tax year hits at April, I would assume the new American owners have a plan ready for the company and what they will invest in the upcoming years.

Personally like I've stated before, I think Redcars problem is that, it's the people who allocate what buses to what routes. I know they like to switch things up but they should be allocating certain buses to certain routes which are appropriate and can handle the routes timetable and route. Maybe the shortage of available buses has messed up their system but unsure. Today is another example of where they have 2 Pulsars on the 62 when they could swap them on X2/X3/64/64A Rota and move 2 Temsas from the X2/X3 on the 62 as theres no steep hills on that route. Maybe, they have to swap them around on purpose, who knows Confused
(15 Feb 2024, 4:57 pm)Mike_98 wrote Yep. They definitely need to get the depot fixed. Like I say, once tax year hits at April, I would assume the new American owners have a plan ready for the company and what they will invest in the upcoming years.

Personally like I've stated before, I think Redcars problem is that, it's the people who allocate what buses to what routes. I know they like to switch things up but they should be allocating certain buses to certain routes which are appropriate and can handle the routes timetable and route. Maybe the shortage of available buses has messed up their system but unsure. Today is another example of where they have 2 Pulsars on the 62 when they could swap them on X2/X3/64/64A Rota and move 2 Temsas from the X2/X3 on the 62 as theres no steep hills on that route. Maybe, they have to swap them around on purpose, who knows Confused

Happy to be corrected, but isn't the 62 the dumping ground for buses with minor problems so they stay close to the depot. Just looking at bustimes and the usual cavaets, one of the Pulsar's seemed to have a nightmare last week on the 63.
(15 Feb 2024, 4:57 pm)Mike_98 wrote Yep. They definitely need to get the depot fixed. Like I say, once tax year hits at April, I would assume the new American owners have a plan ready for the company and what they will invest in the upcoming years.

X3 64 64A  are fine with the Temsas it's the x4 that Temsas shouldn't be on
Am in agreement that some serious new investment is needed here in teesside and county Durham.
Our last set of brand new fleet was 2014/15 even then is was partial attempt.
Prior to that Redcar new fleet was 2009 when the pulsar and temsa first arrived.
An againg fleet of 15 years plus is ridiculous for breakdowns and damages now.
And 10 years for the streetlites and b9s.

How is this acceptable.
We have a hodge podge of fleet which yes may get you from a to b but takes the longest way possible and often breaks down and inconsistent. No wonder the pulsars all need repair
(15 Feb 2024, 6:02 pm)Ryland wrote Am in agreement that some serious new investment is needed here in teesside and county Durham.
Our last set of brand new fleet was 2014/15 even then is was partial attempt.
Prior to that Redcar new fleet was 2009 when the pulsar and temsa first arrived.
An againg fleet of 15 years plus is ridiculous for breakdowns and damages now.
And 10 years for the streetlites and b9s.

How is this acceptable.
We have a hodge podge of fleet which yes may get you from a to b but takes the longest way possible and often breaks down and inconsistent. No wonder the pulsars all need repair

Not disputing your comments, but there's been a fair amount of investment in Darlington with the 17 Plate Streetlite's. I'm not going to count the stolen Enviro 200 MMC's though because they're a burden on Ashington aswell but I'll leave them sheds out today.

There's a bid in under ZEBRA3 which I'd be very surprised if Teesside lost again for the 2 and 63 though which in theory should get shot of most the Temsa's.
(15 Feb 2024, 5:43 pm)Storx wrote Happy to be corrected, but isn't the 62 the dumping ground for buses with minor problems so they stay close to the depot. Just looking at bustimes and the usual cavaets, one of the Pulsar's seemed to have a nightmare last week on the 63.

I know its the only route where they can test the B7's and B9's before sticking them back on the X93. Maybe that's the case then with all their buses too then.
(15 Feb 2024, 6:07 pm)Storx wrote Not disputing your comments, but there's been a fair amount of investment in Darlington with the 17 Plate Streetlite's. I'm not going to count the stolen Enviro 200 MMC's though because they're a burden on Ashington aswell but I'll leave them sheds out today.

There's a bid in under ZEBRA3 which I'd be very surprised if Teesside lost again for the 2 and 63 though which in theory should get shot of most the Temsa's.

I didn't include darlington purposefully I was focusing more on teesside.
And it wouldn't surprise me but what is Zebra3
(15 Feb 2024, 6:10 pm)Ryland wrote I didn't include darlington purposefully I was focusing more on teesside.
And it wouldn't surprise me but what is Zebra3

Apoligies ZEBRA 2 even, it's a bid for electric buses where the government pays for some of the costs for purchasing them and the infrastructure needed, Redcar and Darlington is part of it, the rest is Stagecoach in Stockton

https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/show...#pid307004 - Thread there.
Mark66t
X3 64 64A  are fine with the Temsas it's the x4 that Temsas shouldn't be on

I agree to disagree with that as there is certain ones which can and can't handle routes. What I'm saying is that certain Temsas which can handle the X3 should go on there. The rest go on the likes of the 62/63 as not all Temsas can handle hills. In terms of the X4, theres only 2 Temsas which I know of that are even capable of even handling that one. People must remember that even though it looks the same, it doesn't mean it will act the same.
Solos really shouldn't be on the x4 for one there fair to small and not enough compacy for the amount of passgers who use the x4 surely it could be swrap over for a pulsar off the 64A 64 x3
(16 Feb 2024, 7:37 am)Mark66t wrote Solos really shouldn't be on the x4  for one there fair to small and not enough compacy for the amount of passgers who use the x4 surely it could be swrap over for a pulsar off the 64A 64 x3

You would think, but that's Redcar's allocating for ya. To be fair, the solos handle the X4 really well and are even better than some of the pulsars Redcar have. Though, I'm surprised 4719 "YJ10 DFV" (The rocket Temsa) isn't on there as they normally throw that on it if there ain't enough good Pulsars available. Also I must add, 1534 is covering for a missing X93 as that's normally on the X4 which is probably why 2870 is covering it's place on the X4 if the tracking's are correct.
(16 Feb 2024, 1:42 pm)Mike_98 wrote You would think, but that's Redcar's allocating for ya. To be fair, the solos handle the X4 really well and are even better than some of the pulsars Redcar have. Though, I'm surprised 4719 "YJ10 DFV" (The rocket Temsa) isn't on there as they normally throw that on it if there ain't enough good Pulsars available. Also I must add, 1534 is covering for a missing X93 as that's normally on the X4 which is probably why 2870 is covering it's place on the X4 if the tracking's are correct.

(16 Feb 2024, 1:42 pm)Mike_98 wrote You would think, but that's Redcar's allocating for ya. To be fair, the solos handle the X4 really well and are even better than some of the pulsars Redcar have. Though, I'm surprised 4719 "YJ10 DFV" (The rocket Temsa) isn't on there as they normally throw that on it if there ain't enough good Pulsars available. Also I must add, 1534 is covering for a missing X93 as that's normally on the X4 which is probably why 2870 is covering it's place on the X4 if the tracking's are correct.