You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Stagecoach North East Latest News

Stagecoach North East Latest News

RE: Stagecoach North East Latest News
Another option is to extend 6/7 as has been mentioned to cover Heaton Road potentially to Byker Morrisons. You could then cover it the other parts of it as you’ve described. 653 could extend from Freeman via longbenton to FLe & Benton
(25 Jun 2024, 9:15 am)V514DFT wrote Basically what happened is when Stagecoach lost the Q1/Q2 is the buses used on those routes had nowhere suitable to go, so they trailled them on the 18 and peak 68 (im guessing at the time the 68 must of ran off of an 18) would of been around Summer 2010ish, anyway they didnt last long on the 18, and were fully withdrawn from service after only just 5 years in service, thats when the the ALX300's took over right up until what is on there now, so about 9-11 years they lasted on there

Dont misunderstand me, i get the 18 is need as Heaton Road is literally the only bus they have, but it could be covered by other routes, the was a 20 and 20A, not sure if it was a peak or if it was a similar route to the 18/19

I personally do not remember the 20 myself, but I do remember the 19. However, I went on eBay once to search for old Newcastle timetables, and I came across a one for 18/19/20, seemily going the same direction, and the 20 using Chesters Ave (Longbenton Metro North side). In fact, if you look on the Stagecoach app and go to Longbenton Metro, you can still see there is a marker for a bus stop on Chesters Avenue.

I will have to ask my grandad when I next see him, as he drove for Walkergate up until 2011, and worked since it was Busways at the original Byker Depot.

Based on that information however, and how the 18s and 19s operated at the time, I put two and two together that the 20 was a peak service. I will also have to find the same timetable on eBay, as I never bought it lmao
(24 Jun 2024, 10:21 pm)Lottie332 wrote to me it looks like a NK09 bcoz if u look closely the feet numbers have a tint of blue where as 24121s are black

The caption says it's 24101 not 24121

(22 Jun 2024, 6:20 pm)ReDemPTiion wrote Picture taken of 24121 inside Slatyford depot this month (June 2024) any idea what this is about?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197146068@...ateposted/

The caption says 24101 not 24121
(25 Jun 2024, 12:18 pm)Coastliner700 wrote Another option is to extend 6/7 as has been mentioned to cover Heaton Road potentially to Byker Morrisons. You could then cover it the other parts of it as you’ve described. 653 could extend from Freeman via longbenton to FLe & Benton

Definitely not. That would screw over a LOT of passengers. I basically travel on the full bus route for my day to day activities, (Walker Road-Monkchester Road to Four Lane Ends), and noticed most passengers also either stay on the entire route or get on at Heaton Road and stay on all the way to Four Lane Ends. I've noticed a few times, there's passengers on before me and still on when I get off at Four Lane Ends. Apart from the daft allocations options, the 18 is absolutely fine how it is.
(25 Jun 2024, 12:20 pm)Lewispark1509 wrote I personally do not remember the 20 myself, but I do remember the 19. However, I went on eBay once to search for old Newcastle timetables, and I came across a one for 18/19/20, seemily going the same direction, and the 20 using Chesters Ave (Longbenton Metro North side). In fact, if you look on the Stagecoach app and go to Longbenton Metro, you can still see there is a marker for a bus stop on Chesters Avenue.
I will have to ask my grandad when I next see him, as he drove for Walkergate up until 2011, and worked since it was Busways at the original Byker Depot.
Based on that information however, and how the 18s and 19s operated at the time, I put two and two together that the 20 was a peak service. I will also have to find the same timetable on eBay, as I never bought it lmao

I used to live in that area and If my memory is correct, the 20 bus route used to run through the entire length of Walker End via Westbourne Avenue, but no buses travel that part anymore as they all turn at the Fossway. It then continued into Wallsend and was branded as Busways 709D. This route was later replaced by the 34, which started turning right onto the Fossway towards Wallsend. The 34 was subsequently replaced by routes 18/19 and eventually by the Q3.
(25 Jun 2024, 12:18 pm)Coastliner700 wrote Another option is to extend 6/7 as has been mentioned to cover Heaton Road potentially to Byker Morrisons. You could then cover it the other parts of it as you’ve described. 653 could extend from Freeman via longbenton to FLe & Benton

Aye the 6/7 extension wouldn't be a bad one either really harder to do though since it's a commercial route so would have issues there.

The Q3 is the one that baffles me, Nexus is currently subsidising 5 buses an hour between St Peter's and Walker, an absolute waste of tax payers money, if you ask me. At least, the 18 should be extended to Wallsend instead of the Q3, least it would give a terminus at the Eastern side where people might actually want to be as no-one outside of Walker wants to go to Walker.
(25 Jun 2024, 5:49 pm)Storx wrote Aye the 6/7 extension wouldn't be a bad one either really harder to do though since it's a commercial route so would have issues there.

The Q3 is the one that baffles me, Nexus is currently subsidising 5 buses an hour between St Peter's and Walker, an absolute waste of tax payers money, if you ask me. At least, the 18 should be extended to Wallsend instead of the Q3, least it would give a terminus at the Eastern side where people might actually want to be as no-one outside of Walker wants to go to Walker.
The 18 once went to Wallsend, but in 2016 it was axed between Walker and Wallsend and Benton and Forest Hall, it was also when the 6/7 were extended to Forest Hall, the 15/15A being withdrawn, and the 32/32A re-routed to Walker instead of Four Lane Ends
Kind Regards
Tez
(25 Jun 2024, 6:17 pm)V514DFT wrote The 18 once went to Wallsend, but in 2016 it was axed between Walker and Wallsend and Benton and Forest Hall, it was also when the 6/7 were extended to Forest Hall, the 15/15A being withdrawn, and the 32/32A re-routed to Walker instead of Four Lane Ends

Aye remember the 18 running through to Wallsend, tbh I'm surprised Nexus haven't done something with the 18/32/32A/335/342/Q3 by now. They all duplicate each other and bounce around each other at the Eastern side and the 18, 32/32A and 335 all have a terminus which is a dead end where no-one really wants to go which is never going to end up with a successful route as it'll only ever be one directional ie. mornings leaving Hadrian Park and people returning later in the afternoon for the 335 or similar with the 18 and 32/32A but Walker instead.

It's a right mess, if you ask me.

Like personally I'd argue does the 32/32A need to exist at all between Newcastle and Walker, you could easily work with Stagecoach and fund the 12 to extend the short Walker buses to do the loop around Sprogg Road every 20 minutes and actually give them a better service albeit a bit longer. The rest of the route is in walking distance of alternative services anyway. The 35 could easily be sent by Northumbria Uni if you want to keep a bus in Shieldfield (and you'd create a direct Northumbria to Jesmond service for students - which is actually useful)
(25 Jun 2024, 6:32 pm)Storx wrote Aye remember the 18 running through to Wallsend, tbh I'm surprised Nexus haven't done something with the 18/32/32A/335/342/Q3 by now. They all duplicate each other and bounce around each other at the Eastern side and the 18, 32/32A and 335 all have a terminus which is a dead end where no-one really wants to go which is never going to end up with a successful route as it'll only ever be one directional ie. mornings leaving Hadrian Park and people returning later in the afternoon for the 335 or similar with the 18 and 32/32A but Walker instead.

Like personally I'd argue does the 32/32A need to exist at all between Newcastle and Walker, you could easily work with Stagecoach and fund the 12 to extend the short Walker buses to do the loop around Sprogg Road every 20 minutes and actually give them a better service albeit a bit longer. The rest of the route is in walking distance of alternative services anyway. The 35 could easily be sent by Northumbria Uni if you want to keep a bus in Shieldfield (and you'd create a direct Northumbria to Jesmond service for students - which is actually useful)
Nexus seem not to want to “upset” local councillors, so they keep services as they are when contract renewals take place so the network is frozen in aspic.
(26 Jun 2024, 10:29 am)V514DFT wrote I have a rough idea of what route(s) they'll go on, but as to not make a fool of myself i'll keep it to myself

Slatyford's are for the 30/31/36
Stockton's are likely to see use on all commercial work at the depot - but won't see use on the 1/2 (East Cleveland Ciruclars), 6/6A (Stockton to Darlington and Hurworth), X40/X41 (Wynyard) or the RP1 (Riverside Park circular).
(26 Jun 2024, 11:06 am)Kuyoyo wrote Slatyford's are for the 30/31/36
Stockton's are likely to see use on all commercial work at the depot - but won't see use on the 1/2 (East Cleveland Ciruclars), 6/6A (Stockton to Darlington and Hurworth), X40/X41 (Wynyard) or the RP1 (Riverside Park circular).

Yup that was my guess for Slatyford, maybe the E200MMC's will transfer onto the 10/11
Kind Regards
Tez
Just seen this on the latest fleet movements:

Stagecoach London

Period 2

Alexander-Dennis Enviro200:

36286 LX11 AXC disposal to Stagecoach North East

36287 LX11 AXD disposal to Stagecoach North East

36291 LX11 AXJ disposal to Stagecoach North East

36293 LX11 AXM disposal to Stagecoach North East

36294 LX11 AXN disposal to Stagecoach North East

36341 LX09 ACZ disposal to Stagecoach North East

36345 LX59 ANF disposal to Stagecoach North East

36349 LX59 ANV disposal to Stagecoach North East

36361 LX59 AOM disposal to Stagecoach North East

36367 LX59 ECW disposal to Stagecoach North East
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(26 Jun 2024, 11:04 pm)Michael wrote Just seen this on the latest fleet movements:

Stagecoach London

Period 2

A similar amount have been mentioned on the same Fleet Card as destined for Yorkshire - and information posted regarding those suggests they are to be used as driver trainers down there. I do wonder, given 22065 and 22074 have both recently been withdrawn with engine failure coupled with a hint from someone that the training MANs may not have much longer left, if these London E200s are their replacements.......
(26 Jun 2024, 11:04 pm)Michael wrote Just seen this on the latest fleet movements:

Stagecoach London

Period 2

Just looking on gov website, these are all CAZ compliant as well, surely they couldn’t enter service for say Slatyford due to vehicle shortages?
Read elsewhere that similar vehicles are being converted into driver training vehicles whether this is the case for the North East remains to be seen. A similar vehicle did come up here to be used as parts for the current E200 fleet.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(25 Jun 2024, 6:32 pm)Storx wrote Aye remember the 18 running through to Wallsend, tbh I'm surprised Nexus haven't done something with the 18/32/32A/335/342/Q3 by now. They all duplicate each other and bounce around each other at the Eastern side and the 18, 32/32A and 335 all have a terminus which is a dead end where no-one really wants to go which is never going to end up with a successful route as it'll only ever be one directional ie. mornings leaving Hadrian Park and people returning later in the afternoon for the 335 or similar with the 18 and 32/32A but Walker instead.

Living in Walker, I can confirm there still a need for a 32. The 30 min frequency is the problem for the 32. You've got to think about the likes of Jesmond Vale, as they've already had their M6 taken off them. Even if they withdraw the 32A, or make the 32/32A every two hours individually (every hour combined).

The other day I was in town only heading to Byker and got a 32 as it was the first bus there and surprisingly, it was holding a full load and I was standing my full journey.

(25 Jun 2024, 5:48 pm)MbWestDurhamSwift wrote I used to live in that area and If my memory is correct, the 20 bus route used to run through the entire length of Walker End via Westbourne Avenue, but no buses travel that part anymore as they all turn at the Fossway. It then continued into Wallsend and was branded as Busways 709D. This route was later replaced by the 34, which started turning right onto the Fossway towards Wallsend. The 34 was subsequently replaced by routes 18/19 and eventually by the Q3.
Ah, yes, I remember that very well. Go North East being greedy f**ks are usual. St. Peter's to Wallsend is Nexus funded now, but originally wasn't. When GNE extended the Q3 to Wallsend, they purposefully sent it the same direction as the 18 to kick Stagecoach out of Westbourne Avenue, and succeeded.

I agree, that there's no need for the Q3 to go to Wallsend and the 18 should still do the Westbourne Avenue & Wallsend section, however other Walker locals seem to disagree as it's a faster option to the city centre. That being said though, the Q3 could terminate at Wallker. We do have another bus terminal at Church Walk currently unused.
Fantastic entertainment watching it get unloaded.

For those who don't know, the yard has peaks and troughs for drainage, not severe but noticable.

The way the wagon parked in the shed (didnt think to go by engineering where it's flat) meant as they unloaded the bus it bottomed out because the floor was inclined the wrong way. The rear bumper is in a right state.
I saw Thorntons loading a Versa onto a low loader at Deptford when I was there. Again the yard isn't flat and the rear bumper got caught on the access ramp to the trailer and the rear bumper got caught with the obvious consequence...
A lot of buses have been withdrawn from Stockton depot the from London depot have come to replace them that I think ?

The buses from London depot have come to replace them that I think ?