You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East State Of The Fleet

Go North East State Of The Fleet

RE: Go North East State Of The Fleet
(10 Jul 2024, 8:18 pm)Adrian wrote It feels like I don't use buses an awful lot nowadays, but I'm staggered at the state of the GNE fleet every time I do.
  • Buses looking filthy inside and out.
  • Bits of branding missing for months and months on end. 
  • Buses appearing to be randomly allocated to services.

I'd be embarrassed expecting my customers to sit in a pigsty, or have a bus turn up that looks like it's been in a fight. I get that there's an importance to get buses back out on the road, but when you start corner cutting at one point, where do you stop.

The allocations are a mess. It's bloody confusing to customers, when you're training them to look out for a brand and not a service number. Looking right now for example, you've got a Tyne Valley 10 and a X45/X46 Red Kite on the X21, an Gateshead Rider on the 21, a Country Ranger on the 4, and a connections4 on the 8. 

I get that there'll be times it's unavoidable, but this is every day and seemingly at random. Does the depot allocate buses with a bingo caller or something? 

Is anybody actually running this business nowadays, or have they given up? There's no pride whatsoever in the fleet anymore.

Just feels like GoAhead don't care about the area anymore as they know it's on borrowed time, so why bother. 

Not the right opinion of course but if I'm right it's the only area that's getting took over by franchising in their operating areas. 

I can kind of understand it in a way. If it's making a loss, it's getting took off you some point in the near future. What's the point in investing and the way tendering works your past experience is just irrelevant anyway. 

It's probably why GNE and GNW have been merged since they're the two franchised areas tbh. 

Mind if I worked there and had any pride I'd be bolting to either SNE or ANE who will still exist commercially post franchising. Not saying ANE will be winning any awards either mind.
A project has begun regarding presentation of the fleet, with someone being employed to audit and rectify branding defects and bruised vehicles.

The issues shouldn't have happened in the first place, but they're being sorted.
(10 Jul 2024, 9:15 pm)omnicity4659 wrote A project has begun regarding presentation of the fleet, with someone being employed to audit and rectify branding defects and bruised vehicles.

The issues shouldn't have happened in the first place, but they're being sorted.

Someone has been employed to check that stickers are applied? That seems like a colossal waste of money, but given the state of the company at the moment that isn't really a surprise. 

It would be far more efficient to have a current employee simply check each bus over a set period (say a week), and make a list of which vehicles need attention.
(10 Jul 2024, 9:57 pm)PH - BQA wrote Someone has been employed to check that stickers are applied? That seems like a colossal waste of money, but given the state of the company at the moment that isn't really a surprise. 

It would be far more efficient to have a current employee simply check each bus over a set period (say a week), and make a list of which vehicles need attention.

I tend to agree. For me, it's a manager's role to ensure standards are being upheld, then address the issue if they aren't.

Most depots have multiple managers. Are they walking around blindfolded?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Missing branding/old damage is recorded on a first use check card (at least it used to be). Surely this information is readily available in that case?

I did hear that one off damaged panels didn't used to be replaced until several needed to be done (more cost effective).

There seems to be alot of stick on Facebook for what drivers wear (shorts, polo shirts etc) but you can have the smartest dressed driver driving a bus that looks like its been in a destruction derby and that's before you get to the interiors.
there's certainly a drop off in standards and it’s getting worse. Odd allocations are just signs of managed decline and poor management in general. 

Versa allocations on the 21 are just poor but the alternative is filthy, slow dingy ex London stock. Capacity, yes, experience no. Even the remaining streetdecks with torn leather seats, ripped bare tables and chronic unreliability don’t add much. 

The X39 an alleged premium commuter experience is woeful. Afternoon allocations tend to run off scholars and of course the bus is trashed, these are the passengers you want to attract out of their cars but one afternoon run on the x39 puts you off for life
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(10 Jul 2024, 9:15 pm)omnicity4659 wrote A project has begun regarding presentation of the fleet, with someone being employed to audit and rectify branding defects and bruised vehicles.

Does it matter whether the branding is complete or not when branded vehicles are now routinely used on a seemingly random allocation basis?  It might look nicer but still not much use if your Country Ranger takes you to Heworth or you end up in Bishop on a Tyne Valley Ten.  GNE have shown repeatedly that they are too incompetent to make branding work, regardless the arguments whether it can actually work.  It's just good money after bad now.
(11 Jul 2024, 5:15 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Does it matter whether the branding is complete or not when branded vehicles are now routinely used on a seemingly random allocation basis?  It might look nicer but still not much use if your Country Ranger takes you to Heworth or you end up in Bishop on a Tyne Valley Ten.  GNE have shown repeatedly that they are too incompetent to make branding work, regardless the arguments whether it can actually work.  It's just good money after bad now.

That’s presumably why GNE have, since MG left, been reducing the number of brands with quite a few more due to go I understand.
(11 Jul 2024, 5:58 pm)busmanT wrote That’s presumably why GNE have, since MG left, been reducing the number of brands with quite a few more due to go I understand.

Which might make absolute sense if they weren't currently repainting midlife Streetlites into yet another variation of Prince Bishops branding.  Seems there's not a clear strategy towards or away from branding (admittedly the current purple Streetlites are a disgrace but you'd think if branding was indeed recognised to be the monumental waste of money that it is, they would be going corporate).
(11 Jul 2024, 6:29 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Which might make absolute sense if they weren't currently repainting midlife Streetlites into yet another variation of Prince Bishops branding.  Seems there's not a clear strategy towards or away from branding (admittedly the current purple Streetlites are a disgrace but you'd think if branding was indeed recognised to be the monumental waste of money that it is, they would be going corporate).

Personally I wouldn't paint anything at all, it's a waste of money for GoAhead.

I know it's a bad view point but this dithering around franchising with absolute no timetable has just pretty much just stalled the whole North East network. There's absolutely no incentive, at all, for any of the 3 operators to spend any money on real investment right now as they'll probably lose it very soon anyway or at least it's all going out the window anyway.

I don't blame GoAhead for sending all the crap up here, heck I'd be tempted to move things like the Enviro 200 MMC's out the area completely and boost an area they'll actually be operating in 5 years time, especially considering the area is leaking money like a sieve as it is.

West Yorkshire is the same, and Arriva down there has just gave up aswell with similar problems.
Think we all need to remember this isn't a new thing. 
Theres been a steady decline for years and recent events have seemingly just compounded it further.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
I swear blind there was a Coaster out yesterday, and it had what looked like Duct Tape on it, no idea if it was holding the window in place or if it was another issue or both
Kind Regards
Tez
(12 Jul 2024, 11:08 am)V514DFT wrote I swear blind there was a Coaster out yesterday, and it had what looked like Duct Tape on it, no idea if it was holding the window in place or if it was another issue or both

Yeah there's one out with tape on a window at the rear, must of had a window replaced and they've not bothered to take the tape off
Views and Opinions are my own
(11 Jul 2024, 6:29 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Which might make absolute sense if they weren't currently repainting midlife Streetlites into yet another variation of Prince Bishops branding.  Seems there's not a clear strategy towards or away from branding (admittedly the current purple Streetlites are a disgrace but you'd think if branding was indeed recognised to be the monumental waste of money that it is, they would be going corporate).

Branding is being reduced, not eliminated, as I understand the GNE strategy - Prince Bishops is obviously seen as one of the reduced number of brands to remain. 
I can see East Durham Explorer, Little Pinks, Peterlee Purples, Rockets, SunderlandDistrict all disappearing as the buses become due for repaint.
(13 Jul 2024, 5:24 pm)busmanT wrote Branding is being reduced, not eliminated, as I understand the GNE strategy - Prince Bishops is obviously seen as one of the reduced number of brands to remain. 
I can see East Durham Explorer, Little Pinks, Peterlee Purples, Rockets, SunderlandDistrict all disappearing as the buses become due for repaint.

Will the Drifter finally gets its re-brand?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
I think the only services that should remain branded are the express services and the ones with a 15 minute frequency or higher. The rest of the branding should be binned completely and the remaining fleet should be repainted into the corporate livery.

I might be tempted to have a slight variation of the current corporate livery for the minibus services and brand them all "Little Links" or something instead of painting them all different colours and having different names. I liked how they done something similar in the Go-Ahead Northern red and white era with the "Minilink" brand. They were more or less in the same corporate livery but with a slight variation. Also I've kept saying this for a while now but I think GNE should invest in the smaller minibuses/breadvans such as these: - https://www.busandcoachbuyer.com/road-te...to-sprint/ Surely this size of vehicle will be much better to use on an evening and for the areas where the roads are narrow and tight. I've been watching the night time loadings on the Little Pinks etc and there are times that the loadings do not even justify the use of a solo, however these bus services are still vital to some. Instead of cutting more services in the future they should buy some breadvans such as the Mercedes Sprinter that is much smaller and narrower and will ultimately use less fuel. Also it might enable the company to use less vehicles and drivers and save them money without dropping the standards and level of service.
(10 Jul 2024, 9:57 pm)PH - BQA wrote Someone has been employed to check that stickers are applied? That seems like a colossal waste of money, but given the state of the company at the moment that isn't really a surprise. 

They were an existing employee, and share their time between the role and NX ops. They typeset all timetables, ensure there's no errors being sent out in public communications and also contribute to the design related side of things.

(11 Jul 2024, 11:57 am)morritt89 wrote Missing branding/old damage is recorded on a first use check card (at least it used to be). Surely this information is readily available in that case?

I did hear that one off damaged panels didn't used to be replaced until several needed to be done (more cost effective).

There seems to be alot of stick on Facebook for what drivers wear (shorts, polo shirts etc) but you can have the smartest dressed driver driving a bus that looks like its been in a destruction derby and that's before you get to the interiors.

Ideally the driver should be reporting these issues, however its understandable for them to only do the legally required aspect of the first use check. The audits do pick up on smaller details which drivers shouldn't be expected to pick up.
(14 Jul 2024, 3:12 pm)Washingtonian wrote I think the only services that should remain branded are the express services and the ones with a 15 minute frequency or higher. The rest of the branding should be binned completely and the remaining fleet should be repainted into the corporate livery.

I might be tempted to have a slight variation of the current corporate livery for the minibus services and brand them all "Little Links" or something instead of painting them all different colours and having different names. I liked how they done something similar in the Go-Ahead Northern red and white era with the "Minilink" brand. They were more or less in the same corporate livery but with a slight variation. Also I've kept saying this for a while now but I think GNE should invest in the smaller minibuses/breadvans such as these: - https://www.busandcoachbuyer.com/road-te...to-sprint/ Surely this size of vehicle will be much better to use on an evening and for the areas where the roads are narrow and tight. I've been watching the night time loadings on the Little Pinks etc and there are times that the loadings do not even justify the use of a solo, however these bus services are still vital to some. Instead of cutting more services in the future they should buy some breadvans such as the Mercedes Sprinter that is much smaller and narrower and will ultimately use less fuel. Also it might enable the company to use less vehicles and drivers and save them money without dropping the standards and level of service.

Get your sentiments but I have to politely disagree. Breadvans are horrid vehicles from a passenger point of view and you really need to have some form of standard. 

Personally I'd rather see these minibus routes extended beyond Washington. People can say the hub and spoke model works, but it doesn't really. People will not change at Washington from one bus to another bus when there's no guaranteed connections. Trains and Metros they will because of the speed benefit though. 

I'm not aware of any other country which does conventional bus to bus integration like Washington does but then again Washington would have a rail link if this was Europe. 

Oh and there's capacity requirements for subsidised routes which the bread vans won't meet, regardless.

Edit just had a look at these timetables since the England match is boring. 

X1 Arrives Washington Galleries 23.40
85 Leaves Washington Galleries 23.36

Absolutely fantastic timetabling that mind.
(14 Jul 2024, 4:47 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Ideally the driver should be reporting these issues, however its understandable for them to only do the legally required aspect of the first use check. The audits do pick up on smaller details which drivers shouldn't be expected to pick up.

Drivers that used to report things like this probably stopped when it seemed like they were talking to a brick wall in reporting things like dirty or tatty buses.
2 more of Deptfords berry versa's has been withdrawn
Info from the Go North East fleet updates Facebook page:

-8331/NK11 HJX Has been Withdrawn.

-8338/NK11 HKT Has been Withdrawn.

Leaves 4 in the fleet:

8332: 30th April 2024
8333: 21st May 2024
8334: Out in service today (15th July 2024)
8335 - 13 July 2024

Last time, they were all out.

I take it'll these will be gone in the next couple of weeks?

Are these being sold or going for scrap?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(15 Jul 2024, 10:11 pm)MCN881L wrote 8332 is in the scrap corner at Deptford, looks pretty well cannibalised ,along with 8336,looks complete still

Cheers for the information.

Wonder if some of the better ones will be sold?

Deptford will be Versa free soon.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(15 Jul 2024, 10:41 pm)Michael wrote Cheers for the information.

Wonder if some of the better ones will be sold?

Deptford will be Versa free soon.

There's only been 1 Berry parked on track 11 this week, I'm not sure if any of the others are in service elsewhere in the yard.
(16 Jul 2024, 3:14 pm)deanmachine wrote There's only been 1 Berry parked on track 11 this week, I'm not sure if any of the others are in service elsewhere in the yard.

I did see 8334 on the 2 earlier.

8335 seems to of been out today too.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
I've not seen any fleet numbers or checked to see if it is the same vehicle, but it seems at least one 21 branded decker is getting the chance to stretch it's legs on the A19.

I've seen one on the X10 on two different days this week.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(18 Jul 2024, 11:27 am)Andreos1 wrote I've not seen any fleet numbers or checked to see if it is the same vehicle, but it seems at least one 21 branded decker is getting the chance to stretch it's legs on the A19.

I've seen one on the X10 on two different days this week.

Seem to have done a swap. One of the purple X-lines E400s passed us on the X21, earlier.
(14 Jul 2024, 8:09 pm)Storx wrote Get your sentiments but I have to politely disagree. Breadvans are horrid vehicles from a passenger point of view and you really need to have some form of standard. 

Personally I'd rather see these minibus routes extended beyond Washington. People can say the hub and spoke model works, but it doesn't really. People will not change at Washington from one bus to another bus when there's no guaranteed connections. Trains and Metros they will because of the speed benefit though. 

I'm not aware of any other country which does conventional bus to bus integration like Washington does but then again Washington would have a rail link if this was Europe. 

Oh and there's capacity requirements for subsidised routes which the bread vans won't meet, regardless.

Edit just had a look at these timetables since the England match is boring. 

X1 Arrives Washington Galleries 23.40
85 Leaves Washington Galleries 23.36

Absolutely fantastic timetabling that mind.

Fair comments. Yeah breadvans are not the best vehicles by any means but for me there's no denying they are a good option and suitable for certain times and situations. They were really useful during the Go-Ahead Northern era as they served places like Richmond Avenue in Washington Village, Dorset Avenue in Barley Mow, Malone Gardens in Birtley etc. The old Dodge/Renault breadvans were ridiculously small but the Optare Metroriders were ideal. They would really come in useful for the elderly going to and from the club or seeing friends on an evening and they could always pick up normal fare paying passengers as well. These days people are having to walk further to get to their nearest bus stop and some people can't walk that far. I've said it before that it's daft that we have easy access buses now but people have to walk further. There may be easy access to get on board but in a lot of areas it's not as easily accessible to get to a bus stop which defeats the object. Also if the weather is bad people will want to get on and off the bus as close to their home as possible especially if they are carrying shopping. I'm not saying the fleet needs to be plastered with breadvans but a handful would certainly be useful. I can't understand Nexus at times re capacity as the subsidised services often carry lower passenger numbers. It seems daft of them when they will cost them less to pay for too!

Fully agree about the hub and spoke model mind. It doesn't work at all now and hasn't for years and years. The timing between the X1 and 85 you mention is just laughable! No wonder passenger confidence is so low now. Sadly I very much doubt they care.