Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739
Go North East: Service Suggestions | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

CatsFast101
Unregistered
RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
It of a speaking out loud idea, but here goes.

Lambton Worm 33/34 (Replaces Service M2/M3/34/34A)
Lambton Worm 33: Waldridge Park-Chester-Le-Street-South Pelaw-Pelton-Perkinsville-Ouston-Urpeth Grange-Birtley-Barley Mow-Rickleton-Harraton-Ayton-Lambton-Washington Galleries-Biddick-Barmston-Concord-Sulgrave-Heworth.

Lambton Worm 34/34A: Waldridge Park-Chester-Le-Street-South Pelaw-Pelton-Perkinsville-Ouston-Urpeth Grange-Birtley-Portobello-Ayton-Lambton-Washington Galleries-Biddick-Barmston-Concord-Donwell/Sulgrave*-Heworth.
*34 via Donwell, 34A via Sulgrave.

33 operates every 30 minutes & 34 operates every 30 minutes creating an every 15 minute service across the main part of the route. 34A journeys replace M2A journeys.
(23 Feb 2014, 6:32 pm)CatsFast101 wrote It of a speaking out loud idea, but here goes.

Lambton Worm 33/34 (Replaces Service M2/M3/34/34A)
Lambton Worm 33: Waldridge Park-Chester-Le-Street-South Pelaw-Pelton-Perkinsville-Ouston-Urpeth Grange-Birtley-Barley Mow-Rickleton-Harraton-Ayton-Lambton-Washington Galleries-Biddick-Barmston-Concord-Sulgrave-Heworth.

Lambton Worm 34/34A: Waldridge Park-Chester-Le-Street-South Pelaw-Pelton-Perkinsville-Ouston-Urpeth Grange-Birtley-Portobello-Ayton-Lambton-Washington Galleries-Biddick-Barmston-Concord-Donwell/Sulgrave*-Heworth.
*34 via Donwell, 34A via Sulgrave.

33 operates every 30 minutes & 34 operates every 30 minutes creating an every 15 minute service across the main part of the route. 34A journeys replace M2A journeys.

CastFast101 if you look back 2 to 3 Pages, You'll see I came up with this exact idea 2 Weeks Ago minus Your 34A which replaces the M2A, and of course I kept numbered M2/M3.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(23 Feb 2014, 9:09 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote CastFast101 if you look back 2 to 3 Pages, You'll see I came up with this exact idea 2 Weeks Ago minus Your 34A which replaces the M2A, and of course I kept numbered M2/M3.

Totally missed your post about that! I do apologise, haven't quite worked out PVR's or anything was literally thinking it so posted it. If it could be done using the same PVR's as now that would be great. Obviously M2/M3 are in line to receive Versas from QuayLink so they could be used on the service to create an all Versa allocation.
(23 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Totally missed your post about that! I do apologise, haven't quite worked out PVR's or anything was literally thinking it so posted it. If it could be done using the same PVR's as now that would be great. Obviously M2/M3 are in line to receive Versas from QuayLink so they could be used on the service to create an all Versa allocation.

I love the idea! Smile

I'll try and do a timetable to work it out.
(23 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Totally missed your post about that! I do apologise, haven't quite worked out PVR's or anything was literally thinking it so posted it. If it could be done using the same PVR's as now that would be great. Obviously M2/M3 are in line to receive Versas from QuayLink so they could be used on the service to create an all Versa allocation.

It's all good, I had go back and check myself as I couldn't remember as I thought I suggested it ages ago. I think it's a Great Idea, think the PVR would be 13/14, Perhaps split the PVR between Washington/Chester le Street also, as there would be quite alot of Dead Mileage otherwise, that's the only problem I can see with it other than Reliability across the Route due Roadworks etc.
I reckon Go North East should trial a few new services in the Northumberland area, possibly a Cramlington-Newcastle express, or a Alnwick-Newcastle express? Obviously they would have to wait until buses become free, but I think they would be good and worthwhile.
New X19 service - the journey would take just short of an hour each way, so an hourly service could use a PVR of 2?

Newcastle - Coast Road - High Farm - Battle Hill - Cobalt - Northumberland Park - Holystone - Seaton Delaval - High Pit - Cramlington
(07 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm)BJ10VUS wrote New X19 service - the journey would take just short of an hour each way, so an hourly service could use a PVR of 2?

Newcastle - Coast Road - High Farm - Battle Hill - Cobalt - Northumberland Park - Holystone - Seaton Delaval - High Pit - Cramlington

Excellent idea. Could also combine with the 19 to provide a service every 30 minutes from Cobalt to Cramlington. Don't think it'd take a lot longer than the Qourum Express services either.
(07 Mar 2014, 4:48 pm)Tom wrote Excellent idea. Could also combine with the 19 to provide a service every 30 minutes from Cobalt to Cramlington. Don't think it'd take a lot longer than the Quorum Express services either.

Thanks! I've put together a timetable, which can be downloaded below. After reviewing timetables from 309, 310 and 19, the only problem I've found is that journey times will be around 1 hour and 5 minutes during peak times, due to traffic around Cobalt and Newcastle City Centre.
.pdf 19 & X19.pdf
(07 Mar 2014, 5:24 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Thanks! I've put together a timetable, which can be downloaded below. After reviewing timetables from 309, 310 and 19, the only problem I've found is that journey times will be around 1 hour and 5 minutes during peak times, due to traffic around Cobalt and Newcastle City Centre.

So what would happen there if the journey time was increased?
Site Administrator
(07 Mar 2014, 5:40 pm)Tom wrote So what would happen there if the journey time was increased?

Could look to interwork those journeys with the 307.
(07 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm)Dan wrote Could look to interwork those journeys with the 307.

Suppose so, problem with that is that they journeys wouldn't serve North Shields, where the driver changeovers take place.
Site Administrator
(07 Mar 2014, 5:46 pm)Tom wrote Suppose so, problem with that is that they journeys wouldn't serve North Shields, where the driver changeovers take place.

In which case, all I can think of is to extend the 19 Northumberland Pk shorts to Cramlington so that they can interwork that way.
(07 Mar 2014, 5:50 pm)Dan wrote In which case, all I can think of is to extend the 19 Northumberland Pk shorts to Cramlington so that they can interwork that way.

That's a better idea IMO, in fact, passenger numbers beyond Cramlington to North Shields are generally good, so would benefit the 19 too.
(07 Mar 2014, 5:40 pm)Tom wrote So what would happen there if the journey time was increased?

It would just mess up the hourly frequency in the morning and evening peaks - wouldn't affect journeys during the day. Although Dan's idea of interworking with the 307 could be a good idea
(07 Mar 2014, 4:32 pm)Tom wrote I reckon Go North East should trial a few new services in the Northumberland area, possibly a Cramlington-Newcastle express, or a Alnwick-Newcastle express? Obviously they would have to wait until buses become free, but I think they would be good and worthwhile.

A Volvo B9TL with the same spec as the TTX from Alnwick to Newcastle? YES PLEASE!
(07 Mar 2014, 5:59 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote A Volvo B9TL with the same spec as the TTX from Alnwick to Newcastle? YES PLEASE!

6043-48 could be used when the TTX receives a upgrade. Could even go to Alnwick Big Grin
(07 Mar 2014, 5:59 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote A Volvo B9TL with the same spec as the TTX from Alnwick to Newcastle? YES PLEASE!

I prefer the Enviro 400! Tongue
I actually haven't got anything against the E400 fir tiwn and city work, in fact, they serve that purpose well. I would even say that if and when GNE upgrade the 27 to a double decker, I'd say that the 27 isn't a demanding route and the E400's would be just fine for the 27. But when it comes to rural and endurance routes, you need a strong heavyweight lump in the back and that's where the B9TL comes in.
Arriva's 43 currently takes 34 mins (31 mins off peak) between Newcastle and Cramlington at peak times.

I'm all for competition in Northumberland but, as a passenger, why would you suddenly migrate to a new service which takes almost twice as long (and seemingly goes round the world) from Newcastle to Cramlington?

Also, why not increase the frequency of the X39 and extend the service from the Colbalt to Seaton Deleval (or Blyth) in order to compete with the Quorum Express?
Today and Monday I have ended up getting out of work at 17:05, resulting in me missing the 17:04 50 Home, I have then ended up waiting for the 8 which is due outside work at 17:13, On Monday it no showed and I ended getting the 17:34 50 and enduring a 30 Minute wait. Tonight the 8 was 15 Minutes late, This seems to be a daily occurrence and has a major impact on the reliability of both the 8/78.

8 - Stanley - Beamish - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - Washington - Waterview Park - Hastings Hill - Chester Road - Sunderland

Simple alteration of the route is to have run Non Stop between Washington Galleries and Chester le Street, This would then cut roughly 15 Minutes off the route, as it currently takes 21 Minutes between both the above points. The 78 would then become a Stand Alone Service, as would the 8.

The section of the 8 Route between Washington/Chester le Street via Ricketon and Harraton will be replaced by a New Service.

7 - Chester le Street -Picktree Village - Rickleton - Harraton - Fatfield Riverside - Biddick - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Birtley - Ouston - Pelton - Chester le Street

or

71 - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Biddick - Fatfield Riverside - Harraton - Rickleton - Picktree Village - Chester-le-Street - Great Lumley - Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring
(12 Mar 2014, 7:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Today and Monday I have ended up getting out of work at 17:05, resulting in me missing the 17:04 50 Home, I have then ended up waiting for the 8 which is due outside work at 17:13, On Monday it no showed and I ended getting the 17:34 50 and enduring a 30 Minute wait. Tonight the 8 was 15 Minutes late, This seems to be a daily occurrence and has a major impact on the reliability of both the 8/78.

8 - Stanley - Beamish - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - Washington - Waterview Park - Hastings Hill - Chester Road - Sunderland

Simple alteration of the route is to have run Non Stop between Washington Galleries and Chester le Street, This would then cut roughly 15 Minutes off the route, as it currently takes 21 Minutes between both the above points. The 78 would then become a Stand Alone Service, as would the 8.

The section of the 8 Route between Washington/Chester le Street via Ricketon and Harraton will be replaced by a New Service.

7 - Chester le Street -Picktree Village - Rickleton - Harraton - Fatfield Riverside - Biddick - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Birtley - Ouston - Pelton - Chester le Street

or

71 - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Biddick - Fatfield Riverside - Harraton - Rickleton - Picktree Village - Chester-le-Street - Great Lumley - Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring

There's really not the demand for it though mate. Whenever I use the 8 or 50 later on in the day, you may have a good handful on the 50, but the 8 is usually dire. Hence why it seems to have finished earlier and earlier on a night with reviews over the years. It'd be a better solution if GNE addressed the reliability problems, as I know exactly what you mean about the 8 being late around that time.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(12 Mar 2014, 8:19 pm)aureolin wrote There's really not the demand for it though mate. Whenever I use the 8 or 50 later on in the day, you may have a good handful on the 50, but the 8 is usually dire. Hence why it seems to have finished earlier and earlier on a night with reviews over the years. It'd be a better solution if GNE addressed the reliability problems, as I know exactly what you mean about the 8 being late around that time.

I agree, I do love reading his suggestions though Smile
Especially some of the #MalarkeyMarathons Tongue
(12 Mar 2014, 8:25 pm)Tom wrote I agree, I do love reading his suggestions though Smile
Especially some of the #MalarkeyMarathons Tongue

That suggestion for the 71 was a real route at one point.
May be in the bygone section (it may have been the 810 or something like that).
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(12 Mar 2014, 8:36 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote That suggestion for the 71 was a real route at one point.
May be in the bygone section (it may have been the 810 or something like that).

I think it was the 179/180 in later later years but it may have previously been numbered 177/178 at some point.

I'll have to check though.
(12 Mar 2014, 9:00 pm)AdamY wrote I think it was the 179/180 in later later years but it may have previously been numbered 177/178 at some point.

I'll have to check though.

180 was Galleries to Stanley I think? St Georges travel through the day, and Stanley Buses on a night springs to mind. Never served Fencehouses though.
From a County Durham timetable book circa 1980/81:

.jpg 179-180.jpg

In the 1990s, the 179/180 was operated by St George's Travel which competed against GNE on, what was more or less, the same route between Washington (starting at Coach Lane Estate IIRC) and Chester-le-Street.

I don't think it ever went to Stanley although I may be wrong.
(12 Mar 2014, 9:11 pm)AdamY wrote From a County Durham timetable book circa 1980/81:

In the 1990s, the 179/180 was operated by St George's Travel which competed against GNE on, what was more or less, the same route between Washington (starting at Coach Lane Estate IIRC) and Chester-le-Street.

I don't think it ever went to Stanley although I may be wrong.

Two great examples of passenger choice, which is completely missing nowadays.
Just had a look at a Sunderland route-map from 1998 which covers Washington.

At that point the 179 (operated by St Georges' Travel) ran between Chester and Concord (not Coach Lane as I previously thought). The 180 (operated by Northern) ran between Concord and Chester following a similar route as the 179 with journeys extending from Chester to Houghton-le-Spring.

I've scanned the relevant sections of the map for everyone to take a look although the 180 seems to disappear in Harraton.

.jpg 1998-washmap.jpg

.jpg chester-houghton-map.jpg