You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(06 Apr 2014, 6:05 pm)Michael wrote When will 8228 be withdrawn from service?

As soon as 5210 is branded.

Because Hexham need two full sized single deckers as per contractual requirements, 8228 needs to remain in service until 5210 is branded. 5210 needs to be VOR for the entire day when it is receiving its vinyls for "Tynedale Links" which means Riverside would have to loan a bus to Hexham for the day to cover for it if 8228 were withdrawn - and they can barely get the allocations right without being minus one bus! Tongue

Now that all "South Tyne" branded Versas are complete, 5210 should be receiving branding very shortly.
(06 Apr 2014, 6:13 pm)Dan wrote As soon as 5210 is branded.

Because Hexham need two full sized single deckers as per contractual requirements, 8228 needs to remain in service until 5210 is branded. 5210 needs to be VOR for the entire day when it is receiving its vinyls for "Tynedale Links" which means Riverside would have to loan a bus to Hexham for the day to cover for it if 8228 were withdrawn - and they can barely get the allocations right without being minus one bus! Tongue

Now that all "South Tyne" branded Versas are complete, 5210 should be receiving branding very shortly.

But at least 1 of the Withdrawn B10's could of went their just until it was branded!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(06 Apr 2014, 6:14 pm)Michael wrote But at least 1 of the Withdrawn B10's could of went their just until it was branded!

Losing brand recognition in the process, though... Tongue
(06 Apr 2014, 6:26 pm)Dan wrote Losing brand recognition in the process, though... Tongue

Tongue, not like it matters these days! haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(06 Apr 2014, 6:13 pm)Dan wrote As soon as 5210 is branded.

Is 5231 still VOR? If so, this effectively means that 5229 is covering for 5231, and 5210 is covering for 5229, so it cannot go to be branded until 5231 is back?
Site Administrator
(06 Apr 2014, 7:18 pm)missedbus wrote Is 5231 still VOR? If so, this effectively means that 5229 is covering for 5231, and 5210 is covering for 5229, so it cannot go to be branded until 5231 is back?

It is still VOR, but assuming there are no other VORs on a particular day, it should be fine for 5210 to be branded because 8228 is still active and they will have their two full sized single deckers.
(06 Apr 2014, 9:13 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Whilst waiting for a connection at Heworth yesterday, noticed a Solar come in heading South on an x3.
There was one person on it. (GregofWeardale perhaps?)

Not long afterwards, a Catsfast came in on a Sunderland bound x36. This was carrying a fairly decent load.

I can't imagine the passengers getting off en-masse in the North Sunderland Estates, which begs the question as to why the loads were so different, with only 10mins running time between the two in the example from yesterday.

Ha ha. I did walk to the Herbert Terrace Saturday short working terminus once to get it (well really ALL X3s are short workings as only a total moron would terminate a bus at the Wheatsheaf instead of the City Centre) and as it's useless now I don't use it much (although my mate from Fulwell does when he can) and I go on the Metro instead, so Nexus have gained a Day Rover and Northern lost a 2 zone Buzzfare, but I shall continue to quote it as an example of a really bad, incompetently designed bus service, only intended to destroy what was a perfectly reasonably used route.
Site Administrator
(06 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Ha ha. I did walk to the Herbert Terrace Saturday short working terminus once to get it (well really ALL X3s are short workings as only a total moron would terminate a bus at the Wheatsheaf instead of the City Centre) and as it's useless now I don't use it much (although my mate from Fulwell does when he can) and I go on the Metro instead, so Nexus have gained a Day Rover and Northern lost a 2 zone Buzzfare, but I shall continue to quote it as an example of a really bad, incompetently designed bus service, only intended to destroy what was a perfectly reasonably used route.

Sorry, can I ask between which points you previously travelled on the X3 route?

If you're anywhere along the Metro route, you could use the X36 - a service which now falls under a brand (thereby increasing its status) and a service which now has a massive layover to improve reliability.

The only real exception is if you live near Seaburn Metro Station; in which case, I can understand why you're a bit peeved at the direct link being lost - but you've got a more frequent #9 which can connect to an #X36 anyway...
5210 should be next in line to be branded Riverside could easily lend one of there vehicles til its branded probs a Northern eg 8265 or some random bus just for about a day or so next after that will be more than likely Simplicity 8319/8306/8307/8308/8309 to be branded i think 5210 will look like the ones on the MPDs and the Plaxton Concept 2000 (8293) i might inspect Hexham this Thursday if that is the case was gonna go Wednesday but am seeing 3 footballers that evening so therefore i will not have time

the image attached is what probs 5210 is gonna looklike
.png Tynedale Links.png
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Just noticed on the GNE tickets that if u get a single to park lane it always has: Interchange stand T

Any reason for this and why does it not show the correct stand for each service
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(07 Apr 2014, 7:09 am)Michael wrote Just noticed on the GNE tickets that if u get a single to park lane it always has: Interchange stand T

It's actually Sland. I always thought that until I realised. ;-)
(07 Apr 2014, 7:15 am)Tom wrote It's actually Sland. I always thought that until I realised. ;-)

So it does... haha :0
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Everytime the FAB 56 goes over a bridge the warning thing comes on saying:

Stop operation

Any ideas why?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(07 Apr 2014, 7:29 am)Michael wrote Everytime the FAB 56 goes over a bridge the warning thing comes on saying:

Stop operation

Any ideas why?

Low bridge near St. Peter's Metro if you're Newcastle-bound.
(07 Apr 2014, 7:29 am)Michael wrote Everytime the FAB 56 goes over a bridge the warning thing comes on saying:

Stop operation

Any ideas why?

Do you mean "STOP LOW BRIDGE"? It'll either be the bus clearing the bridge by a fine margin or alternatively, the bus gettung confused with an adjacent bridge like what the CC does when going over the Cradlewell By-Pass.
(07 Apr 2014, 7:09 am)Michael wrote Just noticed on the GNE tickets that if u get a single to park lane it always has: Interchange stand T

Many bus stops on tickets end with TF and a letter (eg TFA), but not all. I think it's something to do with Transfare boundaries, as Newcastle is TFA (Metro Zone A). I could be wrong though? You ticket will be saying something like "Interchange Sunderland TFC", but it won't be able to fit
(07 Apr 2014, 7:43 am)Davey Bowyer wrote Do you mean "STOP LOW BRIDGE"? It'll either be the bus clearing the bridge by a fine margin or alternatively, the bus gettung confused with an adjacent bridge like what the CC does when going over the Cradlewell By-Pass.

Used to do my nut in on the Vykings when they ran the Angel, every time you passed under Manors car park on Central Motorway the thing wouldn't shut up
AD122 Fares Released

http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/ad1...rce=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hw07-04-2014FB#fares

AD122 Day Rover (double the price if you want 3 day option)

1 day tickets £12 for adults, £6 for kids, £9 for students and £25 for family

Usual freebie travel for concessionary pass holders

AD122 Rover Tickets (valid on AD122, X84, X85, TEN or Tynedale Links)

1 day tickets £15 for adults, £7.50 for kids, £12 students, £31 family
again double this for the 3 day option

No Buzzfare or GetAround tickets accepted. Students need a Student Card and kids fares are open to all under 16
Site Administrator
(07 Apr 2014, 12:07 pm)gtom wrote AD122 Fares Released

http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/ad1...rce=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hw07-04-2014FB#fares

AD122 Day Rover (double the price if you want 3 day option)

1 day tickets £12 for adults, £6 for kids, £9 for students and £25 for family

Usual freebie travel for concessionary pass holders

AD122 Rover Tickets (valid on AD122, X84, X85, TEN or Tynedale Links)

1 day tickets £15 for adults, £7.50 for kids, £12 students, £31 family
again double this for the 3 day option

No Buzzfare or GetAround tickets accepted. Students need a Student Card and kids fares are open to all under 16

Slightly disappointed that BuzzFare and Get Around tickets aren't accepted, but it was the inevitable I guess.
it seems a few times recently theres been a 'Yellow Bus' on the X30/X31, just noticed one before heading towards Lanchester.

For me personally, it seems abit strange that low floor vehicles are being withdrawn from service, yet step entrance deckers, only a small amount of the time, appear on services at Stanley.

I understand that these buses are used for contract purposed etc, but surely making sure they dont appear on a front line services is a must and im Sure management would maybe frown upon this.

Although they are great powerful machines, it just seems strange, Unless Stanley are having a few problems. Im sure i read something on here not long ago about a few problems with the Diamond Citaros.
The following vehicle transfers have taken place:

Olympians 3815, 3817 & 3818 from Percy Main to Riverside.

Volvo B7TL/Plaxton 6025, 6030 & 6033 from Riverside to Percy Main.

Trident 3874 from Chester le Street to Percy Main.

Volvo B10BLE/Wright 4906, 4907, 4908 & 4909 Peterlee to Chester le Street.

Dennis MPD 524 has returned to service at Hexham.

Vehicles withdrawn are Volvo B10BLEs 4837, 4838, 4839, 4844 frpm Chester le Street and 4848 & 4849 from Stanley and Dennis SPD 8231 from Chester le Street.
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
I see that the (2014) AD122 timetable now starts and finishes at Hexham bus station rather than Newcastle at the ends of the day, so, presumably, it no longer serves the military road east of Chollerford as it runs through Acomb.

I wonder if it will visit Hexham Tourist Information office in Wentworth carpark to pick up passengers(which is where it used to start and finish during the day)?

No mention of ongoing connections to Boness on Solway or Carlisle (other than via Haltwhistle railway station).

Will it still carry cycles?

I suspect that this is out of date:- http://www.hadrianswallshop.co.uk/produc...r-ticket-/
and is based on last season's price of £9 for a day rover (which included Tynedale Links), and that this no longer applies:-
Additional services which accept Rover tickets include those to Kielder and Bellingham.
Forgive me if I've missed it but are the ex WTX vehicles just direct cover replacements for the other withdrawn B10s
Site Administrator
(07 Apr 2014, 2:03 pm)gtom wrote Forgive me if I've missed it but are the ex WTX vehicles just direct cover replacements for the other withdrawn B10s

4906-09 are direct replacements for 4837-39 and 4844 at Chester-le-Street.

4848/49 have been withdrawn without replacement, and I think the same will apply for 4847 too.
I predict the same will apply for the two remaining Olympians at Percy Main also.
(06 Apr 2014, 9:46 am)Michael wrote I think its because it only runs from Monkwearmouth and completely misses out Boldon ASDA, it won't last long.

The X36 is consistent to where the X3 is all over... example on a Saturday they run from Monkwearmouth at - 0754 0919 1219 1519
Where as rest of the runs start from Fulwell @ 1036 1336 1636

I really don't think it will last this way
the service is an absolute joke shame on go north east
Site Administrator
(07 Apr 2014, 2:43 pm)Acky81 wrote the service is an absolute joke shame on go north east

I honestly don't get why there is such a huge uproar about the X3. I mean, these service changes have been in place for two and a half months and I'd have assumed that would be enough time for people to get over it, but crikey...

Because Go North East also introduced service X36 on a higher frequency, nothing major has changed for passengers travelling between Sunderland City Centre and Boldon, Heworth, Gateshead or Newcastle.

Comparing the old X3 to the current X36, there is not much of a difference in journey times. Although the journey time has increased a little, I find that the X36 timetable is a lot easier to stick to. In addition to this, an increased layover has been given to drivers in Sunderland owing to the interworking of services X35 and X36. The most notable change is that service X36 is now allocated different stock to what was previously allocated to service X3. These vehicles are newer, and this should also assist with reliability. These vehicles are branded and this immediately pushes service X36 up the route hierarchy (generally speaking, branded services are more of a priority than corporate liveried services).

The only people who have a right to complain are the ones who boarded the service between Seaburn Metro and West Boldon (Addison Road - near the Post Office). These people have lost their direct service to Heworth, Gateshead and Newcastle - though the passenger numbers were incredibly low on this section anyway, hardly any of which were fare paying customers. They still have service X3, but to most it will be pointless. They also have service 9 which now runs at a higher frequency, and can take them to Boldon ASDA, connecting to an X36. I agree that connecting to another bus isn't as appealing, but it is still relatively easy to get to the places they could before.

Simply put, service X3 exists for operational convenience. It interworks with scholars which means that Go North East don't have to have the scholar service as a standalone service. I've said before that I think it'll be withdrawn when we get to the summer holidays. Whether Go North East drop the scholar(s) that the X3 currently interworks with when it comes to September, or whether they will look at a different way of fitting it in, I don't know.

If passenger numbers weren't 'a joke' on service X3 previously, it would still exist in its previous form now. Go North East are a business, and services have to make a profit. Much like other industries, the product is quite often discontinued if it isn't making a profit.
(07 Apr 2014, 2:43 pm)Acky81 wrote the service is an absolute joke shame on go north east

Shame why exactly? The service obviously isn't profitable so they've made changes to it. Yet again this forums obsession with the X bloody 3 makes it sound comparable to deciding the 21 will only run Low Fell to the Angel and back