You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Paint Shop/Branding
(09 Apr 2014, 9:34 pm)Tommy Simms wrote Wow, they look really nice them! *Adds more places to " I need to go there " list!*

for my South Tyne Photos i have used Hebburn as it is my own turf and backgarden get some nice photos there i have been photoing there for years on the plus side Nexus won't hassle you and got nice shops for food and drink when Crusader gets new buses my own turf again for photos plus it is handy
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
RE: Go North East - Latest
(17 Apr 2014, 8:39 am)Dan wrote All repaints are done now. The last Centurion entered the paintshop last week.

The 39 simplicity 8306-8309 are still not branded
(19 Apr 2014, 12:43 am)Acky81 wrote The 39 simplicity 8306-8309 are still not branded

What about 8319 that has yet to re-enter back into simplicity after being the 100 years bus 6 vehicles need to be route branded are 5210 for Tynedale Links 8306/8307/8308/8309/8319 for Simplicity 39/42/61 the simplicity needs now to be branded has been repainted since November time of last year while 5210 was repainted very late into 2013 but did not came out of the paint shop and enter service til the 2nd day of January so therefore they may now leave 5210 last to be branded and Simplicity 1st Dan could ya let me know when these are due to take place please?
Owner of Bella the Cat

Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(19 Apr 2014, 1:04 am)Racer_Experience wrote What about 8319 that has yet to re-enter back into simplicity after being the 100 years bus 6 vehicles need to be route branded are 5210 for Tynedale Links 8306/8307/8308/8309/8319 for Simplicity 39/42/61 the simplicity needs now to be branded has been repainted since November time of last year while 5210 was repainted very late into 2013 but did not came out of the paint shop and enter service til the 2nd day of January so therefore they may now leave 5210 last to be branded and Simplicity 1st Dan could ya let me know when these are due to take place please?

The fact 8306-09/19 have not yet been branded makes me think there may have been a change of plan (which is why I've not referred to service 39 as being a part of the SimpliCity network or referred to the Versas as to be branded SimpliCity), but much like the Versas on the 61 (which was designed to be temporary after the 36 was withdrawn and until fleet movements occurred), I think it's going to end whereby passengers have become familiar with the current allocation and recognise the purple bus approaching as their bus. I think it could end up being the choice that is settled for.

As for 5210, I've no idea. Clearly there's a reason why it hasn't yet been branded but I don't know it.
(19 Apr 2014, 8:08 am)Dan wrote The fact 8306-09/19 have not yet been branded makes me think there may have been a change of plan (which is why I've not referred to service 39 as being a part of the SimpliCity network or referred to the Versas as to be branded SimpliCity), but much like the Versas on the 61 (which was designed to be temporary after the 36 was withdrawn and until fleet movements occurred), I think it's going to end whereby passengers have become familiar with the current allocation and recognise the purple bus approaching as their bus. I think it could end up being the choice that is settled for.

As for 5210, I've no idea. Clearly there's a reason why it hasn't yet been branded but I don't know it.

Made me wonder when they still had the 39 down as Northern on its new timetable

Wonder what the new company logo design will be like on the purple versa's
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(19 Apr 2014, 8:23 am)Michael wrote Made me wonder when they still had the 39 down as Northern on its new timetable

Wonder what the new company logo design will be like on the purple versa's

Precisely - there is a lot of evidence to suggest that Go North East could have a number of plans for those Versas, and their plans aren't just limited to service 39. Obviously if Go North East are unsure, they're not going to waste money by branding them "SimpliCity" only to take them off there a few weeks later to brand them as something else! A lot of work has to go into decision-making - most of it is behind the scenes and we don't get to appreciate it, but I tell you what... Glad I don't have to do it.

It could be argued that 8319 was a spare for the "Sunderland Connect" as well as "SimpliCity" 42/61; although the former does still have its dedicated spare (628), there have been a number of instances in recent weeks where a "SimpliCity" branded vehicle has had to be used and that has caused problems later down the line as the latter hasn't got a branded spare anymore.

I have always said that I've disagreed with leaving the "SimpliCity" network with no dedicated spare vehicles. The number of 'red spares' appearing on the "SimpliCity" network (including service 39) has increased dramatically since it has been without any spares.
(19 Apr 2014, 10:42 am)Dan wrote Precisely - there is a lot of evidence to suggest that Go North East could have a number of plans for those Versas, and their plans aren't just limited to service 39. Obviously if Go North East are unsure, they're not going to waste money by branding them "SimpliCity" only to take them off there a few weeks later to brand them as something else! A lot of work has to go into decision-making - most of it is behind the scenes and we don't get to appreciate it, but I tell you what... Glad I don't have to do it.

It could be argued that 8319 was a spare for the "Sunderland Connect" as well as "SimpliCity" 42/61; although the former does still have its dedicated spare (628), there have been a number of instances in recent weeks where a "SimpliCity" branded vehicle has had to be used and that has caused problems later down the line as the latter hasn't got a branded spare anymore.

I have always said that I've disagreed with leaving the "SimpliCity" network with no dedicated spare vehicles. The number of 'red spares' appearing on the "SimpliCity" network (including service 39) has increased dramatically since it has been without any spares.

I didn't get it why they included the 61 and i still don't, fair enough people know the buses on the route now but to me it should be a Sunderland based brand only.

38/39/42 should be under Simplicity

Then you wonder what could be used on the 61... which is a hard decision now since its using a set of euro 5 buses?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
MPD 557 was operating the Hexham-Corbridge-Hexham 687 today - but carrying literature (maps and leaflets) for the Hadrian's Wall service.
As I waited at the railway station for the 687 a shiny yellow MPD turned up and I got on, only to find that it was, in fact, the Hadrian's Wall bus!
It wasn't obvious but of course the destination blind would have read AD122 but it arrived when the 687 was due (10 to 2) - the AD122 driver said he was running half an hour late (due 13:13) . . .

Being shiny yellow paint probably meant it was 524? (I was dazzled and confused so didn't get the fleet number).
Marxista Fozzski
(19 Apr 2014, 10:52 am)Michael wrote I didn't get it why they included the 61 and i still don't, fair enough people know the buses on the route now but to me it should be a Sunderland based brand only.

38/39/42 should be under Simplicity

Then you wonder what could be used on the 61... which is a hard decision now since its using a set of euro 5 buses?

Quite a few people have been positive about the Scanias, whether it would be feasible I dont know...

With the plain purple Versas I would maybe try them on East Durham, cant be any worse than MPDs
Just thinking and could be a long way off with this, as Dan mentioned Versas on the 61 was only a Temporary Measure, could that then mean that the 61 is in line to receive Streetlites and Rejoin the Drifter Brand alongside the 60.

And then Versas would be used on the 29/39 and 42 to make up the total PVR of 15 with Solars used on the 61 as Temporary Measure, on another note what are Passenger Numbers like on the 29 during the Day as I have rarely paid attention to it when I photographed the Route.

Someone also mentioned the 38, I don't think it requires a Versa in all honesty as Passenger Numbers to me when I have seen it are quite low, plus wasn't the Service reduced in the Last Service Changes in Sunderland, so that the 29 could be introduced and also replace the 26.

Other than the few points I have made above, I see can't where the Versas could be used within the Sunderland Network, unless they were to be moved onto another service within the Fleet, 67/69 has PVR of 4 and is due an Upgrade which could be a Possibility under a New Brand, otherwise I haven't a clue as to what GNE have planned, but there's a few suggestions anyway.
Site Administrator
(19 Apr 2014, 4:10 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just thinking and could be a long way off with this, as Dan mentioned Versas on the 61 was only a Temporary Measure, could that then mean that the 61 is in line to receive Streetlites and Rejoin the Drifter Brand alongside the 60.

Like I say, I'm led to believe this was the case. The plan changed and service 61 was confirmed as being under the "SimpliCity" brand for the foreseeable future when the destination displays for service 61 were updated to have a purple square opposed to a green one. I don't think there are currently any plans to replace and/or move the current stock from "SimpliCity" service 61 - however much it pains me to say that.
(19 Apr 2014, 4:12 pm)Dan wrote Like I say, I'm led to believe this was the case. The plan changed and service 61 was confirmed as being under the "SimpliCity" brand for the foreseeable future when the destination displays for service 61 were updated to have a purple square opposed to a green one. I don't think there are currently any plans to replace and/or move the current stock from "SimpliCity" service 61 - however much it pains me to say that.

We'll just have play the waiting game won't we, until we find out what GNE have on Order for This Year, Didn't one of the GNE Reps a while back say that there maybe a few Surprises, I do think that Perhaps the 61 could be one of them to be Honest as it make a lot of sense to have it under the Drifter Brand, rather than Simplicity.
Was behind 4974 (i think) today and the paint on the back is starting to come off, you can see its red paint.

Think it needs a new paint job
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(19 Apr 2014, 4:41 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote We'll just have play the waiting game won't we, until we find out what GNE have on Order for This Year, Didn't one of the GNE Reps a while back say that there maybe a few Surprises, I do think that Perhaps the 61 could be one of them to be Honest as it make a lot of sense to have it under the Drifter Brand, rather than Simplicity.

It was me who said that. Tongue
As a regular user of "SimpliCity" service 61 - trust me, it ain't worth a set of brand new buses.

(19 Apr 2014, 4:43 pm)Michael wrote Was behind 4974 (i think) today and the paint on the back is starting to come off, you can see its red paint.

Think it needs a new paint job

Believe they were last painted in 2009? Should be due for repaint this year if so. This could be why the route branding hasn't been updated on them to include service X36.
From my trip this morning on 5246 (see pic below), I honestly can't see how these Omnicities will be kept going for much longer.
Every time the bus stopped, the bus would rattle so much and make a hideous noise coming from the engine that even I started to feel ill by the end of my 30 minute journey!
It was rattling most of the time actually. Don't get me wrong, the seats and interior were in brilliant, clean condition - just the actual vehicle wasn't.

Might just be 5246 but I don't know about any others.

[Image: 13939321355_ecd52bd457.jpg]
Go North East 5246 NK56KHR by Northern156, on Flickr
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Marxista Fozzski
(19 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm)Dan wrote It was me who said that. Tongue
As a regular user of "SimpliCity" service 61 - trust me, it ain't worth a set of brand new buses.

Believe they were last painted in 2009? Should be due for repaint this year if so. This could be why the route branding hasn't been updated on them to include service X36.

Can't agree with you there mate, 61 is a decent service...I personally think it is time for a fresh look at the 61, since it started I dont think it has had any new vehicles on it, we started off with The Marshall Dart, then the Cadets, The 60 got the Versas brand new in 2009, we got the 11 or 12 plate Versas last year...Maybe not brand spanking new vehicles, but something better than the crap already on it

As for branding, it should never have gone into Simplicity, it should have either stayed in the Drifter or gone Red Northern, another suggestion, this is pie in the sky really and would probably never happen in a million years, bring it into the Silver Arrows and have it interwork with or extend the 2A/C...

Personally I would take the Versas off and put Red Scanias on it...But I would say that as I hate the Versas lol
(19 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm)Dan wrote It was me who said that. Tongue

I hope they keep it the same design as now but they need to change the name around as it looks like Cats Fast

Same colour, maybe a better design of wording... is all it needs
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(20 Apr 2014, 9:43 am)Michael wrote I hope they keep it the same design as now but they need to change the name around as it looks like Cats Fast

Same colour, maybe a better design of wording... is all it needs

As they kept the livery exactly the same on 5205-09, I doubt it! Sad
(20 Apr 2014, 9:44 am)Dan wrote As they kept the livery exactly the same on 5205-09, I doubt it! Sad

=(, i really like the branding for the X35/X36 but the routes aren't really fast are they? haha

My only problem with it is the name of the brand on the bus as it looks like Cat's Fast
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Apr 2014, 9:48 am)Michael wrote =(, i really like the branding for the X35/X36 but the routes aren't really fast are they? haha

My only problem with it is the name of the brand on the bus as it looks like Cat's Fast

X35 isn't fast, no! You could argue that the X36 is a express route, as it's limited stop between Newcastle and Boldon. Otherwise, no. Smile
(20 Apr 2014, 9:54 am)Tom wrote X35 isn't fast, no! You could argue that the X36 is a express route, as it's limited stop between Newcastle and Boldon. Otherwise, no. Smile

As I've relayed in a tale elsewhere, I don't think I'll ever get the X35 between Hartlepool (or Peterlee) and Sunderland again. Far too long for a supposed express service - if the prefix 'X' actually still meant something these days then I'd have a good mind to report the service under the trades description act Big Grin
(19 Apr 2014, 10:54 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Can't agree with you there mate, 61 is a decent service...I personally think it is time for a fresh look at the 61, since it started I dont think it has had any new vehicles on it, we started off with The Marshall Dart, then the Cadets, The 60 got the Versas brand new in 2009, we got the 11 or 12 plate Versas last year...Maybe not brand spanking new vehicles, but something better than the crap already on it

As for branding, it should never have gone into Simplicity, it should have either stayed in the Drifter or gone Red Northern, another suggestion, this is pie in the sky really and would probably never happen in a million years, bring it into the Silver Arrows and have it interwork with or extend the 2A/C...

Personally I would take the Versas off and put Red Scanias on it...But I would say that as I hate the Versas lol

i think Scanias are ideal for 61 there canny ride i remember once i rode a Citaro (Silver Arrows) to my mate Dean's house with my good mate Ryan (his uncle works for Deptford) on 60 and it was a nice fast bus at the time but Solars are my favourite to ride on when i sometimes get them where i live on 88/88A they are a joy to ride much prefer the South Tyne Versas as they are comfy plus they speed round Hebburn but when i was on 60 a few weeks back it was a canny journey but made a little noise but versas the cabs are a tight squeeze when i spoke to a former GNE driver who used to work down at Chester-le-Street he said to me he cannot fit on to the cab on that bus with it being tiny he did 34/34A as you probs guessed when i spoke to a Deptford driver my mates uncle he had trouble with putting the wheel right som Versas are temperamental
Owner of Bella the Cat

(20 Apr 2014, 11:34 am)Davey Bowyer wrote What does the X10 do for 48 minutes on a Sunday awaiting a return back to Middlesborough.

Driver stays with the same bus all day, and has his/her 45 minute EU break at Eldon Square
I've said it before and I'll say it again simplicity should be 29/38/39/42 Sunderland routes similar routes. 61 go to northern
Marxista Fozzski
(20 Apr 2014, 1:28 pm)Acky81 wrote I've said it before and I'll say it again simplicity should be 29/38/39/42 Sunderland routes similar routes. 61 go to northern

Or back to the Drifter...But I would be happy for it to be Northern if they allocated Scanias to it...

Must admit, while I am not a fan of branding, I have seen a few WTX Mercs and they really suit the brand it has been given, quite smart
(20 Apr 2014, 1:33 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Or back to the Drifter...But I would be happy for it to be Northern if they allocated Scanias to it...

Must admit, while I am not a fan of branding, I have seen a few WTX Mercs and they really suit the brand it has been given, quite smart

Drifter should be 60 only. When 60 and 61 were drifter few years back they both had different designs which was silly. Simplicity Sunderland only!!!!
Marxista Fozzski
(20 Apr 2014, 1:38 pm)Acky81 wrote Drifter should be 60 only. When 60 and 61 were drifter few years back they both had different designs which was silly. Simplicity Sunderland only!!!!

Yes, it was daft, when Drifter was first launched they had the same vehicles, then the 61 got Cadets, 60 got Versas, at that point Drifter got silly with different vehicles and brand designs, I would like to see it back in Drifter as long as they used a standard vehicle...

But as I said, Red Scanias would be perfect
In terms of a new corporate livery, with the vehicles already being in red, could it be similar to what was seen on a early Scania Omnicity with the red and yellow with Go North East on the sides

Can't remember what bus it was, anybody know what Im on about