You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(22 Apr 2014, 8:43 pm)G-CPTN wrote Not at all and an honest man I have found.

(He showed great restraint when two 'upper class' pensioners verbally abused him for asking them to re-swipe their passes when they stayed on beyond the turnaround point of the circular route. I spoke up for him with his manager.)

Surprised he didn't just throw them off. I would have done if that was me. So many people get shouted at these days for doing their jobs. Im sure these pensioners would be complaining if they didn't have buses so at least respect the companies rules is what I say.
I had a ride on red Versa 5389 yesterday whilst it was on Crusader 27 duties. My phone automatically connected to the free wifi on-board.

I wish that Go North East would put some form of sticker/sub branding either on the exterior or interior of the newer 'red spare' vehicles to indicate that free wifi is available on these vehicles, like they have done with the branded new vehicles.

It seems like a semi-wasted investment if customers do not know that they can use free wifi on these vehicles. Hopefully something may come about when the new corporate livery is rolled out.
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(23 Apr 2014, 10:22 pm)Dan wrote 3964 gets all the glory in these photoshoots mind! Everyone seems to love it!

Standing still is pretty much it's standard position mind. :p
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Pre-booked seating would put me off have to say.

I occasionally go up to KP but I wouldn't tie myself down.
(23 Apr 2014, 10:56 pm)gtom wrote Pre-booked seating would put me off have to say.

I occasionally go up to KP but I wouldn't tie myself down.

It's a good idea for prospective season ticket holders though. Coming from somewhere as far as Durham is decent for a 6 quid return, and likely to convince fence sitters to purchase a season ticket.

I do perhaps think the club could have worked out some sort of system similar to magpie mover that NTL support, in addition to these buses. Everyone I know who holds an NUFC season ticket has a magpie mover.
(24 Apr 2014, 5:28 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote As BJ10VUS has just mentioned in the Rare and Odd Workings Thread, Go North East has announced the launch of the new Falcons Flyer match day bus services in partnership with Newcastle Falcons.

The services, which will begin operating for Newcastle Falcons’ final home game of the season against Exeter on Saturday 10 May, are designed to provide enhanced transport options direct to Kingston Park with routes covering Durham, Hexham, Morpeth and Whitley Bay.

Route Information

F1 from Durham

Service F1 will begin at North Road in Durham, stopping at University Hospital, Framwellgate Moor Salutation, Plawsworth Red Lion, outside Coral bookmakers in Chester-le-Street, Washington Galleries and Metrocentre Interchange.

F2 from Hexham

Service F2 will begin at Hexham Bus Station, stopping at Hill Street in Corbridge, The Wellington in Riding Mill, Stocksfield Rail Station, Prudhoe Front Street, Crawcrook Fox and Hounds and Blaydon Bus Station.

F3 from Morpeth

Service F3 will start at Morpeth Bus Station, before continuing on to Ridge Terrace in Bedlington and the following places in Cramlington; Brockwell Centre, Parkside, Shops and Southfield Green.

F4 from Whitley Bay

Service F4 will begin outside HSBC on Whitley Road, going on to stop at Allendale Place in Tynemouth, Albion Road in North Shields, Billy Mill Roundabout and Battle Hill Coast Road.

More information on http://www.simplygo.com/news/falconsflyer/

You're almost 24 hours late. Tongue Was posted about 5 posts ago in this thread.
(24 Apr 2014, 5:51 pm)aureolin wrote You're almost 24 hours late. Tongue Was posted about 5 posts ago in this thread.

Appears so, I seen BJ10VUS's Post, and then went copied it over, without even reading the posts above....my bad, might as well delete my original post, shame I'll miss this as i'll be Home Bound Recovering from Eye Surgery but always go down The Galleries and get a Photo I suppose, If i'm feeling ok. Hopefully these Services will be in Full Operation for Next Season.
Just passed 4928 and it looks like the side blind has fell off the mount at one side, but still working. Maybe one for someone to pass on.
(23 Apr 2014, 11:11 pm)aureolin wrote It's a good idea for prospective season ticket holders though. Coming from somewhere as far as Durham is decent for a 6 quid return, and likely to convince fence sitters to purchase a season ticket.

I do perhaps think the club could have worked out some sort of system similar to magpie mover that NTL support, in addition to these buses. Everyone I know who holds an NUFC season ticket has a magpie mover.

Magpie Mover's are a different kettle of fish as there was a section 106 agreement on the development of St James Park and they're part supported by the club - not quite sure the Falcons have got that sort of money, but the bus services are a good way to open up what could be tricky journeys, especially as their home games are usually on a Sunday (this one's on a Saturday as all the games are at the same time as its the last game & some are televised)
Does anyone know if the Citaros on the 35 have had their rust work done yet?

Can remember comments that some elsewhere in the fleet have had some warranty work done, but noticed a couple of the examples on the 35 are bubbling up around the doors and wheel arches.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Lime Renown 4853 now has a Full Set of Orange LED Displays, also the Front Display Display the 8 is a Green Coloured Box also, I assume other Lime Examples will be like this also now or in due course, meanwhile 4931 was on the 50 This Afternoon and I noticed the Side Display was quite weird as was like it would be on the Front and Rear Display.
(25 Apr 2014, 3:00 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Lime Renown 4853 now has a Full Set of Orange LED Displays, also the Front Display Display the 8 is a Green Coloured Box also, I assume other Lime Examples will be like this also now or in due course, meanwhile 4931 was on the 50 This Afternoon and I noticed the Side Display was quite weird as was like it would be on the Front and Rear Display.

It's been fitted with a two line side display. I thought nobody would take any interest, but I've seen 4853 out and about with it's new blinds for at least a month. I doubt the others will recieve it seeing as they're all on the to-be-withdrawn list, but it beggars the question, why did it get fitted to 4853?
Site Administrator
(25 Apr 2014, 4:08 pm)Marcus wrote It's been fitted with a two line side display. I thought nobody would take any interest, but I've seen 4853 out and about with it's new blinds for at least a month. I doubt the others will recieve it seeing as they're all on the to-be-withdrawn list, but it beggars the question, why did it get fitted to 4853?

It could be that its flipdot display broke (how, I don't know). They've clearly got spare LED displays kicking about, and depending if the size is right, I guess they're wanting to use them up. They're easily removed when the vehicle needs to be withdrawn.

Adam: the reason it now has a coloured box is because it's been fitted with a coloured LED destination display - the others haven't (yet).
(25 Apr 2014, 4:08 pm)Marcus wrote It's been fitted with a two line side display. I thought nobody would take any interest, but I've seen 4853 out and about with it's new blinds for at least a month. I doubt the others will recieve it seeing as they're all on the to-be-withdrawn list, but it beggars the question, why did it get fitted to 4853?

Both caught my Eye whilst was waiting for the M2 back up Home from The Galleries, as both 4853 and 4931 came in Together on the 8 and the 50 Respectively, I found both rather Intriguing particularly 4853 as it is Due to be Withdrawn later in the Year once it gets New Buses, just out curiousity was the LED's taken from 4840 (340 GUP) By any chance. And obviously 4931 would of got a Full Set of New Displays as a Result of Electrical and other Repairs it had by Diagtest.
Ex Centurion 5165 has had its defective side flipdot blind replaced by a rather smart looking LED one.
(25 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm)Simmy wrote Ex Centurion 5165 has had its defective side flipdot blind replaced by a rather smart looking LED one.

5165 was never Centurion, but is that the one that displayed ''Go North East'' all of the time?
Site Administrator
(25 Apr 2014, 4:43 pm)Tom wrote 5165 was never Centurion, but is that the one that displayed ''Go North East'' all of the time?

It is - yes. Can be seen in this shot displaying "Go North East".
Site Administrator
Former "National Express" branded Volvo B10M/Plaxton Premiere 7079 (S979 ABR) in the Driver Trainer fleet at Riverside has been repainted into Go North East's new driver trainer livery.
How are the 42's doing for loadings?

When I was in Park Lane earlier waiting for the 78 (just missed one) and the lure of a Greggs pasty got too much, a 35a Solar pulled in and was closely followed by a 35 Citaro.
There was a big queue for the stand, but the majority of passengers stayed where they were and squashed onto the Solar, rather than get on the empty Citaro behind.

I couldn't see passengers choosing a packed around the world bus, over an empty around the world bus, unless the majority of passengers were all going to Silksworth - which is the one place the 35 doesn't go.

The 35a is also the quickest GNE bus to Silksworth, getting there in a fraction of the time a 42 does.

Is this a common theme or pattern?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(25 Apr 2014, 4:49 pm)Dan wrote Former "National Express" branded Volvo B10M/Plaxton Premiere 7079 (S979 ABR) in the Driver Trainer fleet at Riverside has been repainted into Go North East's new driver trainer livery.

Any pictures?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(25 Apr 2014, 5:43 pm)Michael wrote Any pictures?

Unfortunately not. It's still at Saltmeadows so it's unlikely that we'll be able to get any photos for the time being, but I've been told that it's red and white (Bazza will be happy!) and the livery design - like the colourscheme - is very much like the old Northern General buses, such as preserved Metrobus 3501 as pictured below. Apparently looks quite smart.

[Image: 12179923343_814e59db53_z.jpg]
(25 Apr 2014, 5:47 pm)Dan wrote Unfortunately not. It's still at Saltmeadows so it's unlikely that we'll be able to get any photos for the time being, but I've been told that it's red and white (Bazza will be happy!) and the livery design - like the colourscheme - is very much like the old Northern General buses, such as preserved Metrobus 3501 as pictured below. Apparently looks quite smart.

[Image: 12179923343_814e59db53_z.jpg]

That's good!

Any idea when the red spares will get branded, should be soon
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Apr 2014, 4:23 pm)Dan wrote It could be that its flipdot display broke (how, I don't know). They've clearly got spare LED displays kicking about, and depending if the size is right, I guess they're wanting to use them up. They're easily removed when the vehicle needs to be withdrawn.

Adam: the reason it now has a coloured box is because it's been fitted with a coloured LED destination display - the others haven't (yet).

same thing happened to 8232 correct me if am wrong the blind broke and it ended up getting a new one fitted i once saw it on 88 while i was en route to college on a winters day on Princes Trust p.s i thought i saw Tom Baker that day
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(25 Apr 2014, 9:43 pm)Racer_Experience wrote same thing happened to 8232 correct me if am wrong the blind broke and it ended up getting a new one fitted i once saw it on 88 while i was en route to college on a winters day on Princes Trust p.s i thought i saw Tom Baker that day

Yeah, 8232 got an orange front display. Just a random off-topic thing, but I'm not a fan of the rear displays on Omnicities, think they should have just been numbers really, given the limited space.
(25 Apr 2014, 9:43 pm)Racer_Experience wrote same thing happened to 8232 correct me if am wrong the blind broke and it ended up getting a new one fitted i once saw it on 88 while i was en route to college on a winters day on Princes Trust p.s i thought i saw Tom Baker that day

That got its dest long before it was withdrawn compared to 4853 but as dan says, the chances are it will be removed and replaced with a flipdot if any dest when it is withdrawn.
Site Administrator
(25 Apr 2014, 9:46 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Yeah, 8232 got an orange front display. Just a random off-topic thing, but I'm not a fan of the rear displays on Omnicities, think they should have just been numbers really, given the limited space.

I think they look daft when they only have the number on the rear. If you've got five mins you may want to have a brief look through my Flickr - one of the red ones at Stanley, taken at Newcastle on the X31 (?)
Shows you what it would look like if you haven't already seen it.