You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(12 May 2014, 3:48 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [Image: 6e7aquta.jpg]

Not the best of pictures, but is it not about time GNE start to think about changing it's interior stickers on Simplicity...When was the last the 36 ran???...12-18 months???

Interior branding on all vehicles is going to be completely changed - I'd imagine it's just a busy period at the moment, what with it being the end of the financial year.

No excuse for it not being removed when service 36 was first removed from the "SimpliCity" brand, and I have indeed complained once or twice myself about it (given that I tend to see the interior branding on at least one Versa every day!)
(12 May 2014, 3:51 pm)Dan wrote Interior branding on all vehicles is going to be completely changed - I'd imagine it's just a busy period at the moment, what with it being the end of the financial year.

No excuse for it not being removed when service 36 was first removed from the "SimpliCity" brand, and I have indeed complained once or twice myself about it (given that I tend to see the interior branding on at least one Versa every day!)

On 5230 at the rally last Sunday I could see a poster for the OK1 on the side of the cab.
(12 May 2014, 3:54 pm)Marcus wrote On 5230 at the rally last Sunday I could see a poster for the OK1 on the side of the cab.

8266 still retains its 'Welcome aboard the Highwayman' sticker on the drivers cab door. 1/4 of it has been ripped off like but you can still read what it says.
(12 May 2014, 4:14 pm)Robert wrote 8266 still retains its 'Welcome aboard the Highwayman' sticker on the drivers cab door. 1/4 of it has been ripped off like but you can still read what it says.

Some Lolynes at Percy Main have Coaster/Sir Bobby Robson/Showstopper interior branding!
(12 May 2014, 4:14 pm)Robert wrote 8266 still retains its 'Welcome aboard the Highwayman' sticker on the drivers cab door. 1/4 of it has been ripped off like but you can still read what it says.

When the OmniCities were brought to Chester for the 50 they were covered from back to front with advertisements for the Cobalts. Some of The Waggonway's had stickers for the MetroLink on when they were first branded up for the 28, and I'm pretty sure some of the 34/34A Versas have Drifter stickers still up. 6038 still has a few posters for the Red Angel up on the interior.
4927 on the ramps at Picktree looking bare.
Missing headlights and a few other external parts

(12 May 2014, 4:22 pm)Marcus wrote When the OmniCities were brought to Chester for the 50 they were covered from back to front with advertisements for the Cobalts. Some of The Waggonway's had stickers for the MetroLink on when they were first branded up for the 28, and I'm pretty sure some of the 34/34A Versas have Drifter stickers still up. 6038 still has a few posters for the Red Angel up on the interior.

Some Omnis still do!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(12 May 2014, 4:26 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote 4927 on the ramps at Picktree looking bare.

Its up for its MOT this week.
(12 May 2014, 4:26 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote 4927 on the ramps at Picktree looking bare.

Some Omnis still do!

8242 has it's crusader interior and the south tyne versa's still have saltwell park fare adverts at the back
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
On the X36 coming back to Sunderland, got on at heworth.... only a few seats left, busiest ive seen it.

I do however use rarely

Nothing bettter than flying along non stop
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(12 May 2014, 4:22 pm)Marcus wrote When the OmniCities were brought to Chester for the 50 they were covered from back to front with advertisements for the Cobalts. Some of The Waggonway's had stickers for the MetroLink on when they were first branded up for the 28, and I'm pretty sure some of the 34/34A Versas have Drifter stickers still up. 6038 still has a few posters for the Red Angel up on the interior.

Either 3862, 3863 or both still retain their 'Showstopper' interior branding and they were debranded and repainted long before any of the major repainting season (now) started.
Site Administrator
(12 May 2014, 5:15 pm)Robert wrote Either 3862, 3863 or both still retain their 'Showstopper' interior branding and they were debranded and repainted long before any of the major repainting season (now) started.

As I said before, I have confidence that all of these internal branding mis-haps and mysteries will be resolved in summer. Smile
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(12 May 2014, 8:06 pm)AIG20 wrote 8311 has been working on the 516 today, which was mentioned in the "rare and odd workings" thread. This service does not operate on an evening, which is why it has changed over to the W6 - and I guess this working is an odd working as well. Smile

Indeed they interwork.
[quote='Dan' pid='42373' dateline='1399907717']

For reference, the vehicles in the fleet which are fitted with tachographs are as follows:
  • Volvo Olympian 3833
  • Dennis Trident 3858
  • Volvo B7TL 3941
  • Volvo B7TL 3942
  • Volvo B7TL 3943
  • Volvo B7TL 3962
  • Volvo B7TL 3963
  • Volvo B7TL 3964
  • Volvo B7TL 3965
  • Volvo B10BLE 4917
  • Volvo B10BLE 4918
  • Volvo B10BLE 4921
  • Scania L94 4941
  • Scania L94 4949
  • Scania L94 4967
  • Scania L94 5227
  • Scania L94 5228
  • Scania OmniCity 5271
  • Mercedes Citaro 5302
  • Mercedes Citaro 5358
  • Wright Streetlite 5369
  • Volvo B9TL 6043
  • Volvo B9TL 6044
  • Volvo B9TL 6045
  • Volvo B9TL 6046
  • Volvo B9TL 6047
  • Volvo B9TL 6048
  • Volvo B9TL 6049
  • Volvo B5LH 6056
  • Volvo B9TL 6071
  • Volvo B9TL 6084
  • Volvo B9TL 6101 (?)
  • Optare Versa 8294

Scania 4941 no longer has tachometer fitted, but Scania 4932 now does. It seems that they have been swopped between vehicles. No calibration plate in 4932, so cannot be used.

Volvo b10 4910 has a none calibrated tachometer fitted.

Mercedes Citaro 5276 has digital tachometer fitted, being calibrated in March 2014.
(12 May 2014, 5:09 pm)Michael wrote On the X36 coming back to Sunderland, got on at heworth.... only a few seats left, busiest ive seen it.

I do however use rarely

Nothing bettter than flying along non stop

Wonder if the problems on the metro this morning, meant people chose the bus to/from work?
(12 May 2014, 10:05 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Wonder if the problems on the metro this morning, meant people chose the bus to/from work?

When leaving college i just missed the 4 so i decided to go to Heworth for the metro, i seen on facebook there was delays up to 20 mins so ended up getting the X36.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(12 May 2014, 3:15 pm)Dan wrote For reference, the vehicles in the fleet which are fitted with tachographs are as follows:
  • Volvo Olympian 3833
  • Dennis Trident 3858
  • Volvo B7TL 3941
  • Volvo B7TL 3942
  • Volvo B7TL 3943
  • Volvo B7TL 3962
  • Volvo B7TL 3963
  • Volvo B7TL 3964
  • Volvo B7TL 3965
  • Volvo B10BLE 4917
  • Volvo B10BLE 4918
  • Volvo B10BLE 4921
  • Scania L94 4941
  • Scania L94 4949
  • Scania L94 4967
  • Scania L94 5227
  • Scania L94 5228
  • Scania OmniCity 5271
  • Mercedes Citaro 5302
  • Mercedes Citaro 5358
  • Wright Streetlite 5369
  • Volvo B9TL 6043
  • Volvo B9TL 6044
  • Volvo B9TL 6045
  • Volvo B9TL 6046
  • Volvo B9TL 6047
  • Volvo B9TL 6048
  • Volvo B9TL 6049
  • Volvo B5LH 6056
  • Volvo B9TL 6071
  • Volvo B9TL 6084
  • Volvo B9TL 6101 (?)
  • Optare Versa 8294

Not yet, no.

Pointless fact.

Trident 3858 has (or did have) bolts to enable the driver to lock the passenger enterance doors whilst parked up on private hire duties.

Not sure if it still has them, will try and look if I get on it next time.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Site Administrator
(10 May 2014, 10:30 am)Dan wrote I believe 8242 is the next "South Tyne" DAF SB120/Wright Cadet to arrive at Saltmeadows for repaint into corporate livery.

Also in the paintshop at present is former "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4901 (W901 RBB) - again, into corporate livery.
Site Administrator
(13 May 2014, 4:48 pm)Marcus wrote What? Have they already started debranding the Limes?

Indeed! Although it dilutes the present brand, you could argue it's better than the vehicles being in plain green after new vehicles enter service (if they do! Wink)
Also begs the question - will it allow for a new brand name to be given to "Lime" services 8/78, should they receive investment later this year...?
(13 May 2014, 4:50 pm)Dan wrote Indeed! Although it dilutes the present brand, you could argue it's better than the vehicles being in plain green after new vehicles enter service (if they do! Wink)
Also begs the question - will it allow for a new brand name to be given to "Lime" services 8/78, should they receive investment later this year...?

The Lime, along with the 21, is one of the many services that I use on a daily basis. I didn't really see the point in the name to start. To me it is a very important service in Chester, and along with the 34, is probably one of the most important 'local' buses that go through neighbouring villages. When I've asked drivers, they've told me the Volvos are so sturdy they COULD go a lot longer, but they don't seem to take into consideration all of the laws relating to bus ages and shelf lives etc. I'm actually quite upset that they've already started to debrand them, as they may well be the vehicles in the fleet that have held one specific livery for the longest period of time. It does tell us though, that if they've started to be repainted, the new vehicles aren't far off.

I suppose they could run around in the corporate livery for a while though.
(13 May 2014, 4:44 pm)Dan wrote Also in the paintshop at present is former "Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4901 (W901 RBB) - again, into corporate livery.

Thought it wouldnt be long before they started to get repainted.

I hope we do see a new brand for the 8/78 when it gets new buses.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 May 2014, 5:23 pm)Michael wrote Thought it wouldnt be long before they started to get repainted.

I hope we do see a new brand for the 8/78 when it gets new buses.

I think come the end of 2014 we'll see all the Olympians gone, and the Renowns up to 4900 along with the Ex Oxford Examples, Renowns 4900-4925 would then Stay in the Fleet for a Further Year and be Withdrawn as Result of Investment in 2015.

With regards to Branding for the 8/78, I think it needs to be something more meaningful and significant, something that we as Enthusiasts and also Passengers will look at, and immediately understand the Meaning behind the Branding, Crusader is a Perfect Example to use for the above, only problem with that is, there isn't many Major Landmarks that the 8/78 pass on there Routes that I can think of other than Penshaw Monument and Durham Cricket Ground, both of which are on the 78 Route.
(13 May 2014, 5:41 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I think come the end of 2014 we'll see all the Olympians gone, and the Renowns up to 4900 along with the Ex Oxford Examples, Renowns 4900-4925 would then Stay in the Fleet for a Further Year and be Withdrawn as Result of Investment in 2015.

With regards to Branding for the 8/78, I think it needs to be something more meaningful and significant, something that we as Enthusiasts and also Passengers will look at, and immediately understand the Meaning behind the Branding, Crusader is a Perfect Example to use for the above, only problem with that is, there isn't many Major Landmarks that the 8/78 pass on there Routes that I can think of other than Penshaw Monument and Durham Cricket Ground, both of which are on the 78 Route.

I live next to the Durham Cricket Ground, and I would love to see a livery that has little pictures of various village landmarks (eg Lumley might be the Warrior's Arms, Craghead would be the Punch Bowl) and their names hovering over. Perhaps still in it's distinctive Lime green paint though.
(13 May 2014, 5:41 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I think come the end of 2014 we'll see all the Olympians gone, and the Renowns up to 4900 along with the Ex Oxford Examples, Renowns 4900-4925 would then Stay in the Fleet for a Further Year and be Withdrawn as Result of Investment in 2015.

Would be nice to see landmarks on the 8/78 buses...i like your examples although not sure what they can add for the livery for the 8 route

Least they can get rid of the tatty branding inside the B10's
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 May 2014, 5:45 pm)Marcus wrote I live next to the Durham Cricket Ground, and I would love to see a livery that has little pictures of various village landmarks (eg Lumley might be the Warrior's Arms, Craghead would be the Punch Bowl) and their names hovering over. Perhaps still in it's distinctive Lime green paint though.

Dear me!
Just thinking - Why don't the Gemini 1's at Riverside transfer over to Percy Main for the 327 when suitable replacements are found for them? They would be well suited in my opinion,
(13 May 2014, 7:11 pm)Tom wrote Just thinking - Why don't the Gemini 1's at Riverside transfer over to Percy Main for the 327 when suitable replacements are found for them? They would be well suited in my opinion,

Personally I think that's a great idea. It would mean better vehicles that Tridents, and I think it would make a nice livery as well. Just out of interest, are the 327's drivers contracted by DFDS or are they from Percy Main?