You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(13 May 2014, 7:19 pm)Marcus wrote Personally I think that's a great idea. It would mean better vehicles that Tridents, and I think it would make a nice livery as well. Just out of interest, are the 327's drivers contracted by DFDS or are they from Percy Main?

Yeah Smile - There aren't many demanding routes at Percy Main anyway, so if like 3866/3867 they get used on other services then they should also be fine. And I'm not sure but I think they are just from Percy Main?
(13 May 2014, 7:20 pm)Tom wrote Yeah Smile - There aren't many demanding routes at Percy Main anyway, so if like 3866/3867 they get used on other services then they should also be fine. And I'm not sure but I think they are just from Percy Main?

If something like this does happen (to be honest I can see it), we can just refer to the way the Gemini 1s were allocated at Riverside.
(13 May 2014, 5:45 pm)Marcus wrote I live next to the Durham Cricket Ground, and I would love to see a livery that has little pictures of various village landmarks (eg Lumley might be the Warrior's Arms, Craghead would be the Punch Bowl) and their names hovering over. Perhaps still in it's distinctive Lime green paint though.

You'd have to board the bus windows up to be realistic for the Warriors Arms in Lumley ! I like the comments on the Volvo's - especially as another very regular Lime user, as I suspect that they could run for a while longer on the route. It does go to show just how good the Volvo B10 product was as they've probably been the longest lasting single deck bus since the Leyland National.

The branding ideas are interesting, but it does need to be a bit generic as it is a "sum of the parts" route, despite their being a lady travelling from Consett to Sunderland on the bus I was on yesterday (from overhearing her phone call)
(13 May 2014, 8:17 pm)Marcus wrote We seem to be forgetting Back Lane! Tongue

and the sewage works! Big Grin
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(13 May 2014, 8:04 pm)busman101 wrote You'd have to board the bus windows up to be realistic for the Warriors Arms in Lumley ! I like the comments on the Volvo's - especially as another very regular Lime user, as I suspect that they could run for a while longer on the route. It does go to show just how good the Volvo B10 product was as they've probably been the longest lasting single deck bus since the Leyland National.

The branding ideas are interesting, but it does need to be a bit generic as it is a "sum of the parts" route, despite their being a lady travelling from Consett to Sunderland on the bus I was on yesterday (from overhearing her phone call)

The Volvo DH10A and Volvo D10-245 were the best and still are the best engines. Nothing but bullet proof. One thing that I notice about the B9TL is that when it gets thrashed and driven hard, it feels very similar to the Palatine. A bit more sharp on the cornering but foot flat to the floor on a straight and it's got that smooth feeling to it like what a Palatine had. But not even the B9TL doesn't come as close to a pure old school Volvo. No ECU's, DPF's, no strict EU regulations, high gearing ratios, excellent reliability particularly on long routes (D10-245) and been there to bail out the fiasco with the B7TL's on the TTX until 2012 even at 14 year old.
(13 May 2014, 8:32 pm)Marcus wrote Haha! Riding Hill or the Methodist Church?

Spoilt for choice in Lumley for landmarks!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(13 May 2014, 8:04 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Ye Olde England or The Co-op!

It seems to take an age to served at the Co-op in Great Lumley. Also, for a shop that is quite small, the security guard they sometimes have there seems so out of place.
I'm surprised GNE hasn't had an allover Emirates livery yet to link in with the Cricket ground and the highly successful NCL-DXB route
Nice diversion for people who use the 56...

Overnight works on Downhill Lane overbridge - 17th May

Date: 14 May 2014

Downhill Lane bridge over the A19 will be closed from Saturday 17th for three nights.
The dates and times of closures are confirmed as:

Saturday 17th from 7pm until 10am on Sunday 18th May.
Sunday 18th from 9pm until 6am on Monday 19th May.
Monday 19th from 8pm until 6am on Tuesday 20th May.

Services 50/50A or N56 are unaffected, but Service 56 will be required to divert as follows:

Service 56 towards Sunderland will operate normal route via Nissan towards Downhill Lane bridge, then A19 on-slip to A19 to Testos roundabout, loop around and return to Downhill Lane A19 off-slip to re-join normal route on Washington Road towards Park Lane.

Service 56 towards Washington will operate normal route to Washington Road, then divert non-stop via Ferryboat Lane and A1231 to Spire Road/Peel to rejoin normal route on Usworth Station Road.

Please note that passengers from Nissan wishing to travel towards Washington etc can be carried on Sunderland bound Service 56 to Washington Road first stop (no. 23810) and cross over to stop number 23809 to join diverted westbound 56 after a short wait of up to 10 minutes.

Passengers travelling from Sunderland towards Nissan will need to alight at stop 23809 on Washington Road and use A19 pedestrian over-bridge towards Nissan, or travel to Usworth Station Road on Service 56 to catch Sunderland bound Service 56 towards Nissan, although we cannot guarantee connections in this direction.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Since I haven't been in the North East for the past few days has anyone seen 5210 been branded or Simplicity versas finally been branded I finally did my Borismaster mission by accident due to me and my ma accidently ended up in Camden I think GNE should get enviros 400 the newstyle ones some for X1 and X21 while some of the Borismasters could be ordered for 21 while some of the hybrids can go on 27 as Dan said as he quoted "Hybrids are suitable for 27" some of the buses down here in London reminds me of that time me and my mate Chris went on a Volvo Plaxton President on metro replacement then a few weeks later I went on a similar one a few weeks later on then Angel Service 22 and I quoted much better now
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
(14 May 2014, 6:11 pm)Racer_Experience wrote Since I haven't been in the North East for the past few days has anyone seen 5210 been branded or Simplicity versas finally been branded

No, they have not.
(14 May 2014, 6:11 pm)Racer_Experience wrote Since I haven't been in the North East for the past few days has anyone seen 5210 been branded or Simplicity versas finally been branded I finally did my Borismaster mission by accident due to me and my ma accidently ended up in Camden I think GNE should get enviros 400 the newstyle ones some for X1 and X21 while some of the Borismasters could be ordered for 21 while some of the hybrids can go on 27 as Dan said as he quoted "Hybrids are suitable for 27" some of the buses down here in London reminds me of that time me and my mate Chris went on a Volvo Plaxton President on metro replacement then a few weeks later I went on a similar one a few weeks later on then Angel Service 22 and I quoted much better now

We won't get any Borismasters until there due be Withdrawn from Service in London, by that time they'll be Knackered anyway, just keep dreaming Bazza, As for the Versas/5210 neither have been Branded as of Yet. I think it is likely that the 27 will get Hybrids.
(14 May 2014, 6:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote We won't get any Borismasters until there due be Withdrawn from Service in London, by that time they'll be Knackered anyway, just keep dreaming Bazza, As for the Versas/5210 neither have been Branded as of Yet. I think it is likely that the 27 will get Hybrids.

When I went on a Borismaster for the 1st time it felt futuristic and fast
Owner of Bella the Cat

(14 May 2014, 6:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote We won't get any Borismasters until there due be Withdrawn from Service in London, by that time they'll be Knackered anyway, just keep dreaming Bazza, As for the Versas/5210 neither have been Branded as of Yet. I think it is likely that the 27 will get Hybrids.

I too can see Gemini 2s/E400s (although I don't think the latter suit GNE, to me they're more of a Stagecoach-like vehicle) on the Crusader. Maybe not anytime soon though.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(14 May 2014, 6:11 pm)Racer_Experience wrote Since I haven't been in the North East for the past few days has anyone seen 5210 been branded or Simplicity versas finally been branded I finally did my Borismaster mission by accident due to me and my ma accidently ended up in Camden I think GNE should get enviros 400 the newstyle ones some for X1 and X21 while some of the Borismasters could be ordered for 21 while some of the hybrids can go on 27 as Dan said as he quoted "Hybrids are suitable for 27" some of the buses down here in London reminds me of that time me and my mate Chris went on a Volvo Plaxton President on metro replacement then a few weeks later I went on a similar one a few weeks later on then Angel Service 22 and I quoted much better now

Are the Boris Buses any good?
(14 May 2014, 6:33 pm)Marcus wrote I too can see Gemini 2s/E400s (although I don't think the latter suit GNE, to me they're more of a Stagecoach-like vehicle) on the Crusader. Maybe not anytime soon though.

I'd say that GNE would probably want to stay loyal to Volvo but they could be tempted by the MK2 E400 despite not ordering any Dennis double deckers since 2001. The new E400 could probably cope with most of the routes with the exception of the TTX. On another note, they could order 17 and allocate the nearly 6 month old B9TL's on the X1 slightly upgrading it from either the 56 or 309 and 310. The 56 is more demanding than the Clippers and although the B9 is justified for small sections of the 309 route, the 10 less bhp wouldn't really be a miss. So:

- 17 E400's ordered for 309 / 310 or 56 with 16 B9's to Washington leaving 1 spare.

- 7 of the current Red Arrows stock going to Crook for the X21.

- Other 7 going to Riverside for Crusader with a further 7 E400'S ordered. 3963 will act as a spare with 6084 or 6101 acting as a spare for the TTX.

- 3943 relieved for Red Arrows duties also acting as a spare for the Crusader.

- Due to the route being more of an urban type, GNE could give power sockets a miss on the Crusader.

In summary:
- 6118 to 6134 to either Deptford or Percy Main
- 6102 to 6117 or 6085 to 6100 to Washington
- 6001 to 6007 to Crook
- 6049 to 6055 to Riverside
- 3943 to Riverside
- 6084 or 6101 to Riverside
- 6135 to 6141 to Riverside.
- 3963 acting as a spare for the Crusader replaced by 6084 or 6101.
(14 May 2014, 9:13 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I'd say that GNE would probably want to stay loyal to Volvo but they could be tempted by the MK2 E400 despite not ordering any Dennis double deckers since 2001. The new E400 could probably cope with most of the routes with the exception of the TTX. On another note, they could order 17 and allocate the nearly 6 month old B9TL's on the X1 slightly upgrading it from either the 56 or 309 and 310. The 56 is more demanding than the Clippers and although the B9 is justified for small sections of the 309 route, the 10 less bhp wouldn't really be a miss. So:

- 17 E400's ordered for 309 / 310 or 56 with 16 B9's to Washington leaving 1 spare.

- 7 of the current Red Arrows stock going to Crook for the X21.

- Other 7 going to Riverside for Crusader with a further 7 E400'S ordered. 3963 will act as a spare with 6084 or 6101 acting as a spare for the TTX.

- 3943 relieved for Red Arrows duties also acting as a spare for the Crusader.

- Due to the route being more of an urban type, GNE could give power sockets a miss on the Crusader.

In summary:
- 6118 to 6134 to either Deptford or Percy Main
- 6102 to 6117 or 6085 to 6100 to Washington
- 6001 to 6007 to Crook
- 6049 to 6055 to Riverside
- 3943 to Riverside
- 6084 or 6101 to Riverside
- 6135 to 6141 to Riverside.
- 3963 acting as a spare for the Crusader replaced by 6084 or 6101.

I highly doubt this would ever happen, what would be the point in Ordering E400's for the 56/309 and 310 when have just received New Buses, It would be illogical and pointless along with being a complete waste of Money.
(14 May 2014, 7:58 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Are the Boris Buses any good?

They are fast and futuristic there like rockets better than the London stuff
Owner of Bella the Cat

Borismaster video

Do they operate only on electric? Or does the diesel engine keep cutting-in?
Is the diesel engine audible? I have only ever ridden on the original Quaylink buses - not on any of the hybrids.
(14 May 2014, 10:32 pm)G-CPTN wrote Borismaster video

Is the diesel engine audible? I have only ever ridden on the original Quaylink buses - not on any of the hybrids.
There nothing like the Arriva hybrids or the Go North East ones there like the Solos on 700
Owner of Bella the Cat

(14 May 2014, 9:21 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I highly doubt this would ever happen, what would be the point in Ordering E400's for the 56/309 and 310 when have just received New Buses, It would be illogical and pointless along with being a complete waste of Money.

It would allow the Red Arrows to receive nearly new buses whilst still having a proven vehicle type. The Pronto would get newer vehicles, Crusader would get additional capacity and the TTX would become a full B9 operation with all the features.
(14 May 2014, 10:32 pm)G-CPTN wrote Borismaster video

As I understand it, the battery in the Borismaster powers the bus and the diesel engine helps to recharge the battery.

I'm not convinced that they look futuristic (I think part of the design brief was to make them reminiscent of the true Routemaster) and the upper deck seats at least are a lot more uncomfortable and closer together than the Volvo B9 and AD400.

Cheers
David
(15 May 2014, 8:45 am)DavidP wrote the upper deck seats at least are a lot more uncomfortable and closer together than the Volvo B9 and AD400.

Cheers
David

There appears to be a lot of 'lost space' due to multiple exits and two staircases, so the remaining space needs to be crammed with seats reach capacity.
(15 May 2014, 8:50 am)G-CPTN wrote There appears to be a lot of 'lost space' due to multiple exits and two staircases, so the remaining space needs to be crammed with seats reach capacity.

Tbh i dont think they need 3 doors, its a complete waste of time, seats could of being used in the area of the doors, isnt like 300k each for 1?
Money could of being used else where in country for transport improvments BUT because its London.. they have to have it...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
The silver arrow im on still has inside branding for the red arrows... haha Tongue

Stuck at fatfield bridge for ages as the traffic lights are stuck on red for coming towards Biddick.... should be fun at rush hour
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
5157 on service 9 running 15 minutes late with the Deptford operated 9 running in tandem. A very regular occurrence and makes the frequency increase a pointless exercise...

I've been meaning to ask for ages - does anyone know what Percy Main does to those dual door B10s to make them smell so nice compared to other buses (inc similar examples at Riverside) in the fleet?