You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(11 Jun 2014, 1:13 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Are they good buses??? They look nice enough

I'm not that keen on Enviro 400s, but assuming that all of the improvements (as listed on various documents and articles recently), then I'd assume it would be a fairly decent bus.

Looks great from the inside too - just the norm for an ADL demo though!
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(11 Jun 2014, 1:15 pm)Dan wrote I'm not that keen on Enviro 400s, but assuming that all of the improvements (as listed on various documents and articles recently), then I'd assume it would be a fairly decent bus.

Are they a bus GNE would consider investing in???
Site Administrator
(11 Jun 2014, 1:17 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Are they a bus GNE would consider investing in???

I'm not sure...
My gut feeling says no, as I've heard one or two things about the after-support not being quite as good as the likes of Mercedes or Volvo.

The fact that Go North East have been unable to obtain an ADL E400MMC demonstrator for service purposes also makes me think they won't bother - 'buying blind' certainly isn't advisable.
(11 Jun 2014, 1:15 pm)Dan wrote I'm not that keen on Enviro 400s, but assuming that all of the improvements (as listed on various documents and articles recently), then I'd assume it would be a fairly decent bus.

I'm not keen on E400's either - they are a bit dull for my liking. I do, however like Scania N230UD/Alexander Enviro 400 versions as they have more character than the usual Dennis Trident/Alexander Enviro 400's.

It looks really smart, both the interior and exterior. But I do agree that all ADL demos are up to that standard. Does anyone remember that E400 they had a while ago on the Red Arrows? That was luxurious! Leather seats and I remember the lighting was cool - like a red colour. Looked fantastic!
Site Administrator
(11 Jun 2014, 3:07 pm)Tom wrote I'm not keen on E400's either - they are a bit dull for my liking. I do, however like Scania N230UD/Alexander Enviro 400 versions as they have more character than the usual Dennis Trident/Alexander Enviro 400's.

It looks really smart, both the interior and exterior. But I do agree that all ADL demos are up to that standard. Does anyone remember that E400 they had a while ago on the Red Arrows? That was luxurious! Leather seats and I remember the lighting was cool - like a red colour. Looked fantastic!

Was a right little disco bus, that'un! Went from orange to blue to yellow to white within a few seconds of each other.
[Image: 8241393797_c95352d80b.jpg]Interior shot of SN61 DFK, Alexander Dennis/Enviro 400 by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

The E200 they had at Deptford was much better...
[Image: 8024414817_d7ba156d6a.jpg]Interior shot of YX61 EKO, Alexander Dennis/Enviro 200 by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
(11 Jun 2014, 3:10 pm)Dan wrote Was a right little disco bus, that'un! Went from orange to blue to yellow to white within a few seconds of each other.
[Image: 8241393797_c95352d80b.jpg]Interior shot of SN61 DFK, Alexander Dennis/Enviro 400 by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

The E200 they had at Deptford was much better...
[Image: 8024414817_d7ba156d6a.jpg]Interior shot of YX61 EKO, Alexander Dennis/Enviro 200 by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Yeah that's the one Smile
Site Administrator
(11 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm)Tom wrote Yeah that's the one Smile
They didn't have fancy tables and the rest like this demo has though! ADL have gone all out on this one..!
Site Administrator
(11 Jun 2014, 3:14 pm)Dan wrote They didn't have fancy tables and the rest like this demo has though! ADL have gone all out on this one..!

Not sure if any interior shots have been uploaded of the vehicle before it got to GNE, but just so you can see for yourself...

[Image: 14212430890_1db0093462.jpg]Go North East: "The all-new Enviro 400 visits Riverside!" by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

[Image: 14375896386_eba90d3aa8.jpg]Go North East: "The all-new Enviro 400 visits Riverside!" by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

[Image: 14212368109_88f45f06f5.jpg]Go North East: "The all-new Enviro 400 visits Riverside!" by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
Marxista Fozzski
(11 Jun 2014, 4:14 pm)Dan wrote Not sure if any interior shots have been uploaded of the vehicle before it got to GNE, but just so you can see for yourself...

[Image: 14212430890_1db0093462.jpg]Go North East: "The all-new Enviro 400 visits Riverside!" by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

[Image: 14375896386_eba90d3aa8.jpg]Go North East: "The all-new Enviro 400 visits Riverside!" by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

[Image: 14212368109_88f45f06f5.jpg]Go North East: "The all-new Enviro 400 visits Riverside!" by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Looks quite smart
(11 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm)Dan wrote On which vehicle(s)? Just 5213 or not?

I am aware that the CCTV screens on the X66 Mercs have this issue, but the majority of vehicles in the fleet don't have any issues.
I can confirm that all of the SimpliCity Versas work like a charm, and indeed the one I was on this morning had all of the information (I.e fleet numbers) on the screen underneath the CCTV images. Believe all of the Whey Aye Omnis are fine too, in addition to the Loop Scanias and Deptford's ex Fab56 Scanias.

As others have pointed out, the angel can be really bad for the CCTV screens not working. It's been the case even back in the Vyking days - who remembers the travel agent adverts with sound?! Doesn't really bother me, as I'd rather not be on TV whilst having a kip on the way to work. Big Grin Although there were some initial teething issues, the likes of the Red Arrows, and others with CCTV screens don't have near the amount of issues the angel have. Chester le Street effect perhaps? CCTV monitors go there to die, as well as buses. Tongue

Anyway, the point to my original post was that the fleet number should be (permanently) visible to all, as it can be crucial to identify the vehicle if an incident occurs.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(11 Jun 2014, 5:21 pm)aureolin wrote As others have pointed out, the angel can be really bad for the CCTV screens not working. It's been the case even back in the Vyking days - who remembers the travel agent adverts with sound?! Doesn't really bother me, as I'd rather not be on TV whilst having a kip on the way to work. Big Grin Although there were some initial teething issues, the likes of the Red Arrows, and others with CCTV screens don't have near the amount of issues the angel have. Chester le Street effect perhaps? CCTV monitors go there to die, as well as buses. Tongue

Anyway, the point to my original post was that the fleet number should be (permanently) visible to all, as it can be crucial to identify the vehicle if an incident occurs.

The Dawson and Sanderson ones? Tongue
They were on the Coaster too.
(11 Jun 2014, 5:21 pm)aureolin wrote As others have pointed out, the angel can be really bad for the CCTV screens not working. It's been the case even back in the Vyking days - who remembers the travel agent adverts with sound?! Doesn't really bother me, as I'd rather not be on TV whilst having a kip on the way to work. Big Grin Although there were some initial teething issues, the likes of the Red Arrows, and others with CCTV screens don't have near the amount of issues the angel have. Chester le Street effect perhaps? CCTV monitors go there to die, as well as buses. Tongue

The engineering department at Chester seems to be the best in that division of the company - although for the technology side of stuff they seem rather weak.
(11 Jun 2014, 5:23 pm)Tom wrote The Dawson and Sanderson ones? Tongue
They were on the Coaster too.

Aye that's the ones. Except they never actually worked. Don't think the monitors could cope with the refresh rate the video was demanding. Mixture of broken up video, and poor quality audio. If they achieved any sales as a result of these ads I'd be extremely surprised, as they annoyed the t*ts off everyone that they were trying to market to.
(11 Jun 2014, 5:25 pm)aureolin wrote Aye that's the ones. Except they never actually worked. Don't think the monitors could cope with the refresh rate the video was demanding. Mixture of broken up video, and poor quality audio. If they achieved any sales as a result of these ads I'd be extremely surprised, as they annoyed the t*ts off everyone that they were trying to market to.

On the Coaster they were always on! (and still are!) - they were really irritating. Now they just display the CCTV and other stuff like ''please ensure you take all your belongings with you'' or ''please remain seated until the bus has stopped''.
I remember ones for North Tyneside Shopping too..
(11 Jun 2014, 5:25 pm)aureolin wrote Aye that's the ones. Except they never actually worked. Don't think the monitors could cope with the refresh rate the video was demanding. Mixture of broken up video, and poor quality audio. If they achieved any sales as a result of these ads I'd be extremely surprised, as they annoyed the t*ts off everyone that they were trying to market to.

As well as there being 1 branch on the entire stretch of route, the chances diminish even further.
There was an advert on the M1's, which played catchy music, but I have no idea who it was for.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 Jun 2014, 5:28 pm)Tom wrote On the Coaster they were always on! (and still are!) - they were really irritating. Now they just display the CCTV and other stuff like ''please ensure you take all your belongings with you'' or ''please remain seated until the bus has stopped''.
I remember ones for North Tyneside Shopping too..

Aye they're not too bad. I know the screens display the CCTV as a proven deterrent, but it's helpful having the "no drinks", "remain seated", etc on those screens too. Certainly better than putting your neck out trying to read stickers on the roof line.
(11 Jun 2014, 5:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote As well as there being 1 branch on the entire stretch of route, the chances diminish even further.
There was an advert on the M1's, which played catchy music, but I have no idea who it was for.

Can you remember when the Scania bendies were first put on the X66? They used to display both a video and audio presentation for the duration of the journey? I'm sure they played stuff like Robbie Williams - Millenium Big Grin
(11 Jun 2014, 5:21 pm)aureolin wrote Anyway, the point to my original post was that the fleet number should be (permanently) visible to all, as it can be crucial to identify the vehicle if an incident occurs.

How many of the 'normal' travelling public would think of taking down a fleet number.

Most people who complain about incidents give route, time, direction of travel and then expect the company to trace it. A fleet number in a complaint is an added bonus which the complainant normally does not know.
(11 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm)aureolin wrote Can you remember when the Scania bendies were first put on the X66? They used to display both a video and audio presentation for the duration of the journey? I'm sure they played stuff like Robbie Williams - Millenium Big Grin

No, I can't remember that.
Was living in Durham at the time they were introduced, so any trips to Metrocentre weren't on the bus.

If they were playing stuff like that, very pleased other modes of transport were chosen! Big Grin

(11 Jun 2014, 5:38 pm)citaro5284 wrote How many of the 'normal' travelling public would think of taking down a fleet number.

Most people who complain about incidents give route, time, direction of travel and then expect the company to trace it. A fleet number in a complaint is an added bonus which the complainant normally does not know.

Why have the fleet number displayed (or not in some cases), if the 'normal' passengers tend not to refer to it?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 Jun 2014, 5:38 pm)citaro5284 wrote How many of the 'normal' travelling public would think of taking down a fleet number.

If it's an added bonus, then would you not agree that it's an inexpensive but beneficial addition?

Taxis display noticed internally with the vehicle reg so that passengers can note it down discreetly if need be. If the fleet numbers were displayed internally, the customer service script could easily be changed to ask for this information? I'd imagine most would see it as a unique identifier too, and probably report the number as a matter of course?

Probably easier than identifying which angel the customer is travelling on, when they're running as triplets along Durham Road. Smile
(11 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm)aureolin wrote If it's an added bonus, then would you not agree that it's an inexpensive but beneficial addition?

Taxis display noticed internally with the vehicle reg so that passengers can note it down discreetly if need be. If the fleet numbers were displayed internally, the customer service script could easily be changed to ask for this information? I'd imagine most would see it as a unique identifier too, and probably report the number as a matter of course?

Probably easier than identifying which angel the customer is travelling on, when they're running as triplets along Durham Road. Smile

My point is that customers do not tell GNE fleet numbers when they are on vehicles. Most vehicles have them on front, side and rear so if you want to make a complaint, why not just look when you get off the bus and it will tell you what bus you have been on, then you will know what Angel you have been on, even if they come in three's....Big Grin

I'm sure on FB the GNE team usually ask for fleet number in most incidents? Or they used to? And as aureolin points out, buses can end up running together, so how can GNE ever find out which driver is fault or which bus has faulty wifi etc.
(11 Jun 2014, 6:14 pm)citaro5284 wrote My point is that customers do not tell GNE fleet numbers when they are on vehicles. Most vehicles have them on front, side and rear so if you want to make a complaint, why not just look when you get off the bus and it will tell you what bus you have been on, then you will know what Angel you have been on, even if they come in three's....Big Grin

Aye no worries. Was just a suggestion as unique identifiers are good things in my book.
(11 Jun 2014, 6:14 pm)Drifter60 wrote I'm sure on FB the GNE team usually ask for fleet number in most incidents? Or they used to? And as aureolin points out, buses can end up running together, so how can GNE ever find out which driver is fault or which bus has faulty wifi etc.

They do. Had a quick glance on their Facebook page, and they asked a customer here. I've been asked for it when reporting WiFi issues too. I can understand both arguments to be honest. I just like making life easier for me, as I'm unable to report things like broken WiFi, because by the time I've gotten off the bus and ran for the next one, I've forgotten the fleet number. Big Grin
I've just noticed that the TEN buses now have a split rear blind with scrolling destination as well as '10'.

I've also had difficulty logging-in - that Captcha is PITA!
Site Administrator
(11 Jun 2014, 6:20 pm)aureolin wrote They do. Had a quick glance on their Facebook page, and they asked a customer here. I've been asked for it when reporting WiFi issues too. I can understand both arguments to be honest. I just like making life easier for me, as I'm unable to report things like broken WiFi, because by the time I've gotten off the bus and ran for the next one, I've forgotten the fleet number. Big Grin

I do note they specified to look on the side of the vehicle though...

I should note that the majority (if not all?) of the new buses purchased last year seem to have a 'plaque' of some sort at the front of the bus with the fleet number engraved into it. It's blue with a yellow fleet number if my memory serves - quite visible to passengers as they're alighting a vehicle.

Most other vehicles do have a fleet number of some sort near the cab too - although not quite as posh as the new buses.

And the "TEN" and "Tyne Tees Xpress" Geminis also have the fleet number on the upper deck front window, and I think some of the "Red Arrows" Geminis might too.
It always seems easier to spot the fleet number when the bus drives past than to find it when you get off the bus (or, indeed, are on the bus).
(11 Jun 2014, 7:51 pm)Dan wrote I do note they specified to look on the side of the vehicle though...

I should note that the majority (if not all?) of the new buses purchased last year seem to have a 'plaque' of some sort at the front of the bus with the fleet number engraved into it. It's blue with a yellow fleet number if my memory serves - quite visible to passengers as they're alighting a vehicle.

Most other vehicles do have a fleet number of some sort near the cab too - although not quite as posh as the new buses.

And the "TEN" and "Tyne Tees Xpress" Geminis also have the fleet number on the upper deck front window, and I think some of the "Red Arrows" Geminis might too.

Most of the fleet have a fleet number inside. That's why I was surprised that the bus yesterday didn't. I recall First display the reg behind the cab door inside their buses? TFL require operators to do so too.
(11 Jun 2014, 7:51 pm)Dan wrote I do note they specified to look on the side of the vehicle though...

3869's cab fleet no. is all over the place in terms of placing it on a straight line. Certainly hard to miss!
(11 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm)aureolin wrote If it's an added bonus, then would you not agree that it's an inexpensive but beneficial addition?

Or if thats still difficult to work out, providing you havent already thrown it away, it should say the bus fleet number on every bus ticket as well as the driver no. etc.
I realise that this is a GNE page but you should try to read the fleet numbers on the sides of the Arriva Sapphire spec Pulsars unreadable from any further than 6 inches away!!! They are ok on the rear though!