You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
Finally solved the Mystery as to why the 61 is under Simplicity Branding, and it is quite strange one as I never knew this until I looked at the 61 Timetable but from Seaham to Murton is still in the Red Zone, which is the Zone for Sunderland on all Go North East Buses, This is despite said Locations being in County Durham which you'd think would be in either the Green or Turquoise Zone.

East Durham 204/208/265 Timetable
[attachment=5632]

Now the above Timetable shows Perfectly what I am talking about in regards to the Zones in County Durham, from looking at it Myself I certainly think we need a Major Zone Restructure across the Network, and you'll be thinking "ehhh how does that work".
Site Administrator
Every time I use the X7, I'm reminded of why I love the Mercedes Citaro so much.

Travelling at a speed of 60mph, and there are very few rattles, passengers are travelling with a high degree of comfort, and the vehicles are incredibly reliable.

Davey Bowyer - get writing an e-mail to Mercedes, requesting that they manufacture a double decked version of the Citaro... We may have a suitable replacement vehicle for the TTX, TEN and whatever other routes you mentioned if so!
(23 Jun 2014, 8:03 am)Dan wrote Every time I use the X7, I'm reminded of why I love the Mercedes Citaro so much.

Travelling at a speed of 60mph, and there are very few rattles, passengers are travelling with a high degree of comfort, and the vehicles are incredibly reliable.

Davey Bowyer - get writing an e-mail to Mercedes, requesting that they manufacture a double decked version of the Citaro... We may have a suitable replacement vehicle for the TTX, TEN and whatever other routes you mentioned if so!

Mercedes Double Decker!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/novaneiabu...otostream/
BUSTRANSPORTES 2024 Marcopolo Paradiso G6 1800 Double Decker Mercedes Benz O-400 RSD
Representante do estado do Maranhão
- Might have to scroll images!

Extending service to Newcastle Airport from Teeside (Middlesbrough, Stockton & Hartlepool) ?! - What with Teeside Airport just about closed; a quality true Airport express link in coach comfort may be a success? MAN available with coach seating? https://www.flickr.com/photos/km_edinbur...otostream/

or a Boris Maisie Routemaster - "Cushy Butterfield"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/km_edinbur...otostream/ - Hope link works to New Tfl bus in various retro branding incl. green corporation! https://www.flickr.com/photos/km_edinbur...otostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/km_edinbur...otostream/
Not much on fleet movements this week.

Volvo Olympian 3821: S821 OFT has been sold to Tyne & Wear Fire Service.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(23 Jun 2014, 2:14 pm)Michael wrote Not much on fleet movements this week.

Volvo Olympian 3821: S821 OFT has been sold to Tyne & Wear Fire Service.
For reference, Olympian 3816 still occupies a space at Stanley Depot.

B10BLEs 4848/49 likewise.
(23 Jun 2014, 8:03 am)Dan wrote Every time I use the X7, I'm reminded of why I love the Mercedes Citaro so much.

Did a Citaro Double Decker PaperBus in September Last Year, And I have to agree we need a Mercedes Double Decker to compete with Alexander Dennis/Wrightbus and Optare.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9687218055/

As for an Airport Shuttle from Hartlepool/Middlesbrough to Newcastle, I think that would be a Great Idea if Teesides Airport is indeed closing all together.
(23 Jun 2014, 4:37 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Did a Citaro Double Decker PaperBus in September Last Year, And I have to agree we need a Mercedes Double Decker to compete with Alexander Dennis/Wrightbus and Optare.

As for an Airport Shuttle from Hartlepool/Middlesbrough to Newcastle, I think that would be a Great Idea if Teesides Airport is indeed closing all together.

Imagine the costs to buy one, if a single deck vehicle is so much more than another manufacturers similar sized effort?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(23 Jun 2014, 4:37 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Did a Citaro Double Decker PaperBus in September Last Year, And I have to agree we need a Mercedes Double Decker to compete with Alexander Dennis/Wrightbus and Optare.

Considering Wrights' upcoming StreetDeck and the Metrodecker are both powered by Mecerdes engines, I doubt we'll see Mercedes enter the double decker market.
(01 Feb 2014, 12:45 pm)gtom wrote Ken O'Heed on SSC Forums took some photos last night at S********d Road

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread...51743ac563&t=1517587&page=3

Just as a side note - if Ken ever visits this forum and wishes to drop me a PM (anonymity guaranteed), it would be massively appreciated.

I have a couple of questions that I would love answering re some posts made on SSC and have a feeling Ken would be able to share his vast knowledge on the subject.
(23 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Considering Wrights' upcoming StreetDeck and the Metrodecker are both powered by Mecerdes engines, I doubt we'll see Mercedes enter the double decker market.

And both are 5 Litre Engines though, We're talking about something more Powerful altogether, and why not enter the Double Decker Market, as there already Highly successful in the Single Deck and Articulated Market, and have also entered the Midibus Market with the Citaro K, So why not expand that bit further.
(23 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote why not enter the Double Decker Market, as there already Highly successful in the Single Deck and Articulated Market, and have also entered the Midibus Market with the Citaro K, So why not expand that bit further?

Limited market for double deckers outside the UK.
(23 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote And both are 5 Litre Engines though, We're talking about something more Powerful altogether, and why not enter the Double Decker Market, as there already Highly successful in the Single Deck and Articulated Market, and have also entered the Midibus Market with the Citaro K, So why not expand that bit further.

(23 Jun 2014, 6:05 pm)G-CPTN wrote Limited market for double deckers outside the UK.

As said, limited market in Europe for double deckers. And even in other parts of the world (USA, China and now even Australia) most double deckers are UK-built in some way. The fact the only 2 non-UK manufactures who have made waves in the UK Decker market are Volvo (who's most successful product - the Olympian - was designed by Bristol and acquired through the purchase of Leyland) and DAF/VDL (again, the DB250 was based on the MCW Metrobus). It's only 8 years since MAN tried to enter the market with their ND243F, and that didn't come off (only one example was built - RX07RKV - which was low height for trials in Germany, and the second full height example never came about).
(23 Jun 2014, 6:22 pm)Kuyoyo wrote As said, limited market in Europe for double deckers. And even in other parts of the world (USA, China and now even Australia) most double deckers are UK-built in some way. The fact the only 2 non-UK manufactures who have made waves in the UK Decker market are Volvo (who's most successful product - the Olympian - was designed by Bristol and acquired through the purchase of Leyland) and DAF/VDL (again, the DB250 was based on the MCW Metrobus). It's only 8 years since MAN tried to enter the market with their ND243F, and that didn't come off (only one example was built - RX07RKV - which was low height for trials in Germany, and the second full height example never came about).

Example of Edinburgh bus similar to RX07 RKV:
From my previous post on page 793 - with examples of retro branded New routemasters:

Go back to original post on page 793 (previous page) if links don't work from here!

Routemaster in interesting branding!

or a Boris Maisie Routemaster - "Cushy Butterfield" :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/km_edinbur...otostream/ - Hope link works to New Tfl bus in various retro branding incl. green corporation! https://www.flickr.com/photos/km_edinbur...otostream/
(23 Jun 2014, 5:41 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Just as a side note - if Ken ever visits this forum and wishes to drop me a PM (anonymity guaranteed), it would be massively appreciated.

I have a couple of questions that I would love answering re some posts made on SSC and have a feeling Ken would be able to share his vast knowledge on the subject.

You may be able to contact him through his photo site. If not you can def PM him with a hassle free sign up on SSC
(23 Jun 2014, 11:06 pm)gtom wrote You may be able to contact him through his photo site. If not you can def PM him with a hassle free sign up on SSC

Cheers Gtom.
Will have a look into both of those options.

Was hoping he would be able to pm me on here - with me not being a member of SSC, but understand why he may not be willing to do that.
eezypeazy gets on SSC, so it may be tempting to get the QCS debate going on there again.
Site Administrator
Former "TEN" branded Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3941 has arrived at Saltmeadows to be repainted into corporate livery.
Site Administrator
5299 has broken down in Cleadon - driver reports it to be 'the second time today'.
Passengers transferred to the following 35.
GNE need to update their brand page.

5 is still under South Tyne brand

Pulse is no longer a brand.

W5, W6 still has the timetable for Washington Street shuttle

Still no new timetable for the Sunderland Connect... even though it changes on the 28th June....
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Jun 2014, 7:23 am)Dan wrote Former "TEN" branded Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3941 has arrived at Saltmeadows to be repainted into corporate livery.

Why? Is it being transferred?
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm)Tom wrote Why? Is it being transferred?

Allows greater flexibility for Riverside, with all of Riverside's Volvo B7TLs being able to be used on the TEN and Tyne Tees Xpress.

Customers can't really tell the difference between a Volvo B7TL and a Volvo B9TL, so when they see 3941 turn up, they'd expect the vehicle to be equipped with power sockets and free Wi-Fi.
This is obviously not the case, so repainting the Volvo B7TLs into corporate livery means that customers will think it's an ordinary 'red spare' - no more confusion as a result!
(24 Jun 2014, 1:49 pm)Dan wrote Allows greater flexibility for Riverside, with all of Riverside's Volvo B7TLs being able to be used on the TEN and Tyne Tees Xpress.

Customers can't really tell the difference between a Volvo B7TL and a Volvo B9TL, so when they see 3941 turn up, they'd expect the vehicle to be equipped with power sockets and free Wi-Fi.
This is obviously not the case, so repainting the Volvo B7TLs into corporate livery means that customers will think it's an ordinary 'red spare' - no more confusion as a result!

Surely Repainting 6071 Red would of been a Better Option, as we all know despite 3941 getting Repainted Red that 6071 will still appear on the X9/X10 on a Daily Basis, And we all know those B7TL's couldn't even survive a Day on the X9/X10 without Breaking Down anyway, So in reality does it really make the Allocations between the two Services any more Flexible, and finally when was the Last Time 3963 on the X9/X10 or out in Service for that Matter as I haven't seen it for a while, other than when passing Riverside Depot.
(24 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Surely Repainting 6071 Red would of been a Better Option, as we all know despite 3941 getting Repainted Red that 6071 will still appear on the X9/X10 on a Daily Basis, And we all know those B7TL's couldn't even survive a Day on the X9/X10 without Breaking Down anyway, So in reality does it really make the Allocations between the two Services any more Flexible, and finally when was the Last Time 3963 on the X9/X10 or out in Service for that Matter as I haven't seen it for a while, other than when passing Riverside Depot.

BIB:
(23 Jun 2014, 11:36 am)David McGloin wrote 3963 back on TTX today aswell

Yesterday
Why don't GNE swap 3941 and 3942 with 6101 repainted red and joined by 6117 with 6116 being repainted into CC livery? The only two places a B7 would struggle would be Chowdene Bank on the long Coaster and Rosehill on the Coaster, 17, 41 and 80 but otherwise, they'd be OK. Plus, 6101 and 6117 have Wi-Fi and power sockets installed including buggy bays for the TEN.
(24 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Why don't GNE swap 3941 and 3942 with 6101 repainted red and joined by 6117 with 6116 being repainted into CC livery? The only two places a B7 would struggle would be Chowdene Bank on the long Coaster and Rosehill on the Coaster, 17, 41 and 80 but otherwise, they'd be OK. Plus, 6101 and 6117 have Wi-Fi and power sockets installed including buggy bays for the TEN.

They could have planned all of this out prior to the new deckers arriving at Percy Main and Deptford by:

- Distributing the Gemini 1's, so that Riverside, Percy Main and Deptford had at least 1 spare in red.

- Distributing the 'weaker' Gemini 2's from Riverside between themselves and the three depots which have them.
Deptford have two vehicles, potentially wasted on lesser routes - when they could be utilised on more profitable ones at another depot (such as Riverside, who are struggling for deckers to go up and down the A19).

- Ensuring the more reliable Gemini 2's are on the most demanding route/s.

At the moment, passengers on the x9/x10 aren't getting the experience or service they are promised.
To use a common phrase on here - the brand is being diluted.

The problems faced on the x9/10 isn't new and was only going to get worse.
(24 Jun 2014, 1:49 pm)Dan wrote Allows greater flexibility for Riverside, with all of Riverside's Volvo B7TLs being able to be used on the TEN and Tyne Tees Xpress.

i had a convo with a Scott Copper recently about the Tyne Tees Express and he said they should have got a red spare in the 1st place

would make sense to repaint 3941 into red to be used on Tyne Tees Express or Ten saves on using 6071 which is always on there instead of its designated route which is 10/10A/10B
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out