You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(01 Jul 2014, 6:20 pm)gtom wrote Slight Waggonway change 28A

Route as is from Chester Le Street then via Greenford Lane to Kibblesworth then Sainsburys Team Valley, Gold Medal then back to Sainsburys, Retail World, Team Valley (All stops) Bensham Bank, Gateshead Interchange, Tyne Bridge, John Dobson, Blackett, Eldon Sq.

Reasoning -

Since the closure of the Walk In Centre and its move to QE, there's no real need to link Saltwell Rd with Birtley/Ouston. The Crematorium is served by 21 (with a walk down) or the 69 (with change in Low Fell) The remains of Bensham Hospital are ably served by 69/53/54/29

Links to better shopping for Ouston residents and links for Chester to the Team Valley (growing importance as a shopping outlet and a retailer)

28 remains unchanged to maintain links to QE, Beamish and Birtley Medical Group (as Ouston is part of catchment area for that GP surgery)

Makes a lot of sense. It'd probably give them a bit more room to play with on layovers too, which would improve the reliability. I don't use the service an awful lot, but whenever I have it's been quite late coming into Chester. Sad
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(01 Jul 2014, 6:28 pm)aureolin wrote Makes a lot of sense. It'd probably give them a bit more room to play with on layovers too, which would improve the reliability. I don't use the service an awful lot, but whenever I have it's been quite late coming into Chester. Sad

I use it quite regularly, and sometimes we spend about 5 minutes waiting for the next driver to arrive because the previous one came in early. One time with a DAF the driver rounded the market place so fast he could've knocked out the entire YMCA!
(01 Jul 2014, 6:28 pm)aureolin wrote Makes a lot of sense. It'd probably give them a bit more room to play with on layovers too, which would improve the reliability. I don't use the service an awful lot, but whenever I have it's been quite late coming into Chester. Sad

My other idea was to cut out Kibblesworth completely but probably not great PR for GNE! (there'd be angry councillors)

I still wish to revive my X22 idea which is

As route to Birtley Windsor Road then Lamesley Road - Team Valley Retail World then either A1 and current route to Metrocentre or non stop via Bensham and Teams (old 183 routing) to Metrocentre
(01 Jul 2014, 6:20 pm)gtom wrote Slight Waggonway change 28A

Route as is from Chester Le Street then via Greenford Lane to Kibblesworth then Sainsburys Team Valley, Gold Medal then back to Sainsburys, Retail World, Team Valley (All stops) Bensham Bank, Gateshead Interchange, Tyne Bridge, John Dobson, Blackett, Eldon Sq.

Reasoning -

Since the closure of the Walk In Centre and its move to QE, there's no real need to link Saltwell Rd with Birtley/Ouston. The Crematorium is served by 21 (with a walk down) or the 69 (with change in Low Fell) The remains of Bensham Hospital are ably served by 69/53/54/29

Links to better shopping for Ouston residents and links for Chester to the Team Valley (growing importance as a shopping outlet and a retailer)

28 remains unchanged to maintain links to QE, Beamish and Birtley Medical Group (as Ouston is part of catchment area for that GP surgery)

Although you're probably right about there being no-need to link Saltwell Road with Birtley or Ouston, the link could still be kept using a variant on your suggestion. I don't know your reasoning behind sending the bus up to the Gold Medal and back again as the roundabout just outside of Sainsburys could be feasibly used for turning the bus around. Instead of having the bus run the full length along Kingsway to Lobley Hill Road, it could be rerouted via Western Avenue back onto Saltwell Road South and Saltwell Road. This would more or less keep all the links already there and have the added advantage of providing a new-link between Saltwell Road and Team Valley Retail World.
It won't happen, but:-

once an hour: Seaham, Houghton, Fencehouses, Lumley, Chester, Birtley, Team Valley, Newcastle.

once an hour: Seaham, Dalton Park, Hetton, Houghton, Fencehouses, Lumley, Chester, Birtley, Team Valley, Gateshead Interchange.

Numbers crossing the county border are poor - those on the Durham side use Chester as a hub. Houghton or Washington on the other side.
However, the 71 does provide a link between Houghton and Chester, which is used (although not as much as it could be or was on the 21a).

If the services end points were extended, new links would be opened up and through passengers would add to the short hop passengers.

(02 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm)AdamY wrote Although you're probably right about there being no-need to link Saltwell Road with Birtley or Ouston, the link could still be kept using a variant on your suggestion. I don't know your reasoning behind sending the bus up to the Gold Medal and back again as the roundabout just outside of Sainsburys could be feasibly used for turning the bus around. Instead of having the bus run the full length along Kingsway to Lobley Hill Road, it could be rerouted via Western Avenue back onto Saltwell Road South and Saltwell Road. This would more or less keep all the links already there and have the added advantage of providing a new-link between Saltwell Road and Team Valley Retail World.

Western Ave doesn't lead to Saltwell Rd. Which way would you have it run?

Smithy Lane would work - turn left at Allerdene shops towards the Gold Medal from Kibblesworth; Gold Medal; Sainsburys; Retail World; Eastern Ave (not sure if it has weight restriction) and pick up route from Saltwell Road.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(02 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm)AdamY wrote Although you're probably right about there being no-need to link Saltwell Road with Birtley or Ouston, the link could still be kept using a variant on your suggestion. I don't know your reasoning behind sending the bus up to the Gold Medal and back again as the roundabout just outside of Sainsburys could be feasibly used for turning the bus around. Instead of having the bus run the full length along Kingsway to Lobley Hill Road, it could be rerouted via Western Avenue back onto Saltwell Road South and Saltwell Road. This would more or less keep all the links already there and have the added advantage of providing a new-link between Saltwell Road and Team Valley Retail World.

The roundabout at Team Valley is a wee bit tight, twas the only reasoning tbh!
(02 Jul 2014, 3:58 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote It won't happen, but:-

once an hour: Seaham, Houghton, Fencehouses, Lumley, Chester, Birtley, Team Valley, Newcastle.

once an hour: Seaham, Dalton Park, Hetton, Houghton, Fencehouses, Lumley, Chester, Birtley, Team Valley, Gateshead Interchange.

Numbers crossing the county border are poor - those on the Durham side use Chester as a hub. Houghton or Washington on the other side.
However, the 71 does provide a link between Houghton and Chester, which is used (although not as much as it could be or was on the 21a).

If the services end points were extended, new links would be opened up and through passengers would add to the short hop passengers.

So you basically want to resurrect the old 735 service?

I meant Eastern Avenue not Western Avenue as I incorrectly stated.

If it were my suggestion I'd probably route the service via Whitehall Road/Prince Consort Road to provide new links and also to avoid potential congestion on Bensham Road.

#AndreosConstantopolousMarathon
#HashtagsOnNEB

Just a Minor Suggestion, why not the one Terminating at Gateshead, Terminate at The MetroCentre, so therefore you'd be partially reinstating the old 77.
(02 Jul 2014, 6:56 pm)AdamY wrote So you basically want to resurrect the old 735 service?

I used to love the 735, there was never any bugger on it
(02 Jul 2014, 6:56 pm)AdamY wrote So you basically want to resurrect the old 735 service?

I meant Eastern Avenue not Western Avenue as I incorrectly stated.

If it were my suggestion I'd probably route the service via Whitehall Road/Prince Consort Road to provide new links and also to avoid potential congestion on Bensham Road.

Partly 735, 231, 265, x22, 809 (whatever it was called), 91 and partly 93/94...
(02 Jul 2014, 7:11 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Partly 735, 231, 265, x22, 809 (whatever it was called), 91 and partly 93/94...

Why on gods earth would anyone bring back the 809? You could backward crawl to the Metrocentre and Team Valley quicker

Andreos you old sentimental fool you
(02 Jul 2014, 7:23 pm)gtom wrote Why on gods earth would anyone bring back the 809? You could backward crawl to the Metrocentre and Team Valley quicker

Andreos you old sentimental fool you

Only the section between the Coach and Horses and Coal House roundabout (missing out Kibblesworth) - should have said partly 937 Wink

Smithy Lane would work - turn left at Allerdene shops towards the Gold Medal from Kibblesworth; Gold Medal; Sainsburys; Retail World; Eastern Ave (not sure if it has weight restriction) and pick up route from Saltwell Road.

Too right it won't happen, but Lumley to Team Valley could be incredibly handy for a non-fare paying customer Big Grin
(02 Jul 2014, 8:01 pm)busman101 wrote Too right it won't happen, but Lumley to Team Valley could be incredibly handy for a non-fare paying customer Big Grin

Aren't they all non-fare paying customers? I got on the X1 earlier and there was only me and a young lass out of about 40 getting on that were paying! Same story on the 4 that I was on previous to getting the X1. It's nee wonder I feel ripped off! Big Grin
(02 Jul 2014, 8:05 pm)aureolin wrote Aren't they all non-fare paying customers? I got on the X1 earlier and there was only me and a young lass out of about 40 getting on that were paying! Same story on the 4 that I was on previous to getting the X1. It's nee wonder I feel ripped off! Big Grin

£3.20, was it? Wink
(02 Jul 2014, 8:09 pm)Tom wrote £3.20, was it? Wink

Nah. £6.90 as I needed a Day Rover. Something that it actually couldn't hurt GNE having a proper look at and reviewing.

I'd say it would make more sense bringing Seaham, Murton and Hetton Le Hole into the Green Zone. Making Houghton le Spring a crossover zone between Red/Green. The remaining Red, Purple and Blue should then be looked at, as for multiple zones, it makes no sense buying a two zone BuzzFare within Tyne and Wear. For 70p more you can buy a Day Rover and use the Metro, and other operators buses.
(02 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm)aureolin wrote Nah. £6.90 as I needed a Day Rover. Something that it actually couldn't hurt GNE having a proper look at and reviewing.

I'd say it would make more sense bringing Seaham, Murton and Hetton Le Hole into the Green Zone. Making Houghton le Spring a crossover zone between Red/Green. The remaining Red, Purple and Blue should then be looked at, as for multiple zones, it makes no sense buying a two zone BuzzFare within Tyne and Wear. For 70p more you can buy a Day Rover and use the Metro, and other operators buses.

Ah right, lucky you weren't buying a single then.

Yeah, the Buzzfare zones do need looked at - I'd say the Blue and Purple Zones are the only well thought out ones.
(02 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm)Tom wrote Ah right, lucky you weren't buying a single then.

Yeah, the Buzzfare zones do need looked at - I'd say the Blue and Purple Zones are the only well thought out ones.

Wouldn't even go that far. If you need to travel between Gateshead and say Cobalt or Regent Centre for work, it's going to be cheaper purchasing a Network One ticket. Two zones for £76.30 a month, whereas BuzzFare would cost you £85.55. That's not even competitive - it's almost £10 more expensive, and more restrictive.
(02 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm)aureolin wrote Wouldn't even go that far. If you need to travel between Gateshead and say Cobalt or Regent Centre for work, it's going to be cheaper purchasing a Network One ticket. Two zones for £76.30 a month, whereas BuzzFare would cost you £85.55. That's not even competitive - it's almost £10 more expensive, and more restrictive.

It's £64.80 if your travelling between those two places using Buzzfare, as Gateshead and Regent Centre are both in the Blue Zone? As is Cobalt.
(02 Jul 2014, 8:01 pm)busman101 wrote Too right it won't happen, but Lumley to Team Valley could be incredibly handy for a non-fare paying customer Big Grin

Well the service would be along Lobley Hill Road, stopping at the junction with Victoria Road...
Perfect eh?
(02 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm)aureolin wrote Nah. £6.90 as I needed a Day Rover. Something that it actually couldn't hurt GNE having a proper look at and reviewing.

Or a three-zone buzzfare which encompasses Tyne & Wear in its entirety.

Although I doubt a Red, Blue & Purple Buzzfare is a very popular customer choice, however anyone who needs to make journeys in these three zones can purchase a day-rover for 80p less.
(02 Jul 2014, 8:25 pm)Tom wrote It's £64.80 if your travelling between those two places using Buzzfare, as Gateshead and Regent Centre are both in the Blue Zone? As is Cobalt.

Believe Gateshead is just Gateshead Interchange though. Rather than Gateshead as a town. Looking at the 58 map for example, it shows the Interchange in the crossover zone, but Jackson Street is purple only.
(02 Jul 2014, 8:28 pm)aureolin wrote Believe Gateshead is just Gateshead Interchange though. Rather than Gateshead as a town. Looking at the 58 map for example, it shows the Interchange in the crossover zone, but Jackson Street is purple only.

Ah right, not very good then! - I see your point now.
They like to rip people off to be fair - it's only £4.20 a day with Arriva! (X2 then X9), or £60.30 a month which is valid in Birtley and Barley Mow too.
You think the Zonal System for Go North East is Bad, I would argue that the Network One Zonal System is Equally if not worse than GNE's. Either way both need a Serious Looking at, End Result being one set Zonal System for all Modes of Transport in Tyne and Wear.
(02 Jul 2014, 8:33 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote You think the Zonal System for Go North East is Bad, I would argue that the Network One Zonal System is Equally if not worse than GNE's. Either way both need a Serious Looking at, End Result being one set Zonal System for all Modes of Transport in Tyne and Wear.

QCS would do that Wink
(02 Jul 2014, 8:40 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote QCS would do that Wink

And when will QCS be Implemented for this change to happen.
(02 Jul 2014, 8:50 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote And when will QCS be Implemented for this change to happen.

Sooner rather than later hopefully!
The operators have had more than enough time to come up with something, so another few years should be enough to bare until QCS comes in.
With the 9 being secured an'all between Jarrow and North Shields, I think we'd be more likely to see this fella flying over the Tyne before an operator takes the commercial risk with a cross-Tyne service of their own!

.gif flyingpig.gif

But still, I'd rather like to see cross-Tyne links improved, particularly to & from Wallsend where the Town Centre is undergoing significant re-development with further phases planned for The Forum. Travelling between Wallsend and Sunderland by bus takes an awful lot longer than I feel it should do.

Should GNE lose the scholar contracts that the short 9's interwork with, I'd like to see these journeys extend through the Tyne Tunnel to Percy Main (connecting with R19 to Cobalt), Wallsend, Coast Road & Newcastle Haymarket. I would much prefer the four buses per hour retained between Sunderland and Jarrow, rather than every 20 minutes throughout to North Shields as once proposed prior to the X3 being retained at that time instead.

Admittedly, the cross-Tyne service wouldn't be used end-to-end (X36/56 offering quicker journeys), but it does open up a number of valuable new links.

- New link from Jarrow, Howdon & Wallsend to the Haymarket area of Newcastle for improved access to the Universities.

- Faster journey times from Sunderland and South Tyneside to Cobalt via connection at Percy Main.

- Direct service from Hedworth, York Avenue and Bede Burn Road to Newcastle without changing buses at Jarrow on to the longer Crusader 27, (not seen since the 87).

- Restored service from Wallsend, Howdon and Percy Main to Jarrow, South Tyneside and Sunderland.

From the information I have at hand, the only other previous incarnation to Newcastle from Station Road in Wallsend between The Forum and the Coast Road was the old 307; but maybe this wasn't an attractive option for passengers who had to endure the loop around Hadrian Lodge first.

To partially offset the PVR increase, the 40/41 would reduce from every 10 minutes to the Saturday daytime frequency instead. However, there would continue to be six buses per hour along Station Road between the Coast Road and The Forum.

The times of the existing 9 to North Shields would need to be adjusted to make the best use of the R19 connection at Percy Main. Like I said though, can't ever see a commercial service through the Tunnel any time soon, just something I'd love to see anyway! Wink

.pdf 25 26 Tyne Tunnel.pdf
I mentioned something similar to what youve suggested,its a shame the 319 got scrapped but was then turned into the old 9 that went from wallsend if im right,but then hot split into the 59,phoenix then retrialed the 319 from percy main but didnt work out,then it was made into the current 9,so i totally agree with you,the 307 has be resurected many times but doesnt really work out,im surprised its lasted this long
Used the X1 and the 4 a couple of times today. It's notable that the 4 is a completely different service between the Galleries and Heworth, as it is from the Galleries to Houghton. I done the Galleries to Houghton stretch twice, and there was never an instance where passenger numbers went in to double figures. In contrast, both trips to Heworth the other day, and there was standing room only. It's the same story with the X1, although it does get into double figures from the Galleries to Easington Lane stretch. Between Newcastle and the Galleries there's barely a seat in sight.

I'd suggest that the Newcastle to Galleries section of the X1 needs to have an increased frequency, but the issue at present is that it would require more buses. My suggestion would be to do something like the following:

X1 - Current route - remains unchanged. To operate every 20 minutes during the day between Easington Lane and Newcastle.

X2 - Washington Galleries - Springwell - Wrekenton - QE Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle (Limited Stop). To operate every 7 minutes during the day.

The current X1 at the 10 minute frequency takes just over an hour end to end. Newcastle to Washington Galleries takes around 30. I reckon by making these changes, it'd provide a better frequency where required, and also have a financial benefit by fact the PVR can be decreased.