You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(03 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm)aureolin wrote Used the X1 and the 4 a couple of times today. It's notable that the 4 is a completely different service between the Galleries and Heworth, as it is from the Galleries to Houghton. I done the Galleries to Houghton stretch twice, and there was never an instance where passenger numbers went in to double figures. In contrast, both trips to Heworth the other day, and there was standing room only. It's the same story with the X1, although it does get into double figures from the Galleries to Easington Lane stretch. Between Newcastle and the Galleries there's barely a seat in sight.

I'd suggest that the Newcastle to Galleries section of the X1 needs to have an increased frequency, but the issue at present is that it would require more buses. My suggestion would be to do something like the following:

X1 - Current route - remains unchanged. To operate every 20 minutes during the day between Easington Lane and Newcastle.

X2 - Washington Galleries - Springwell - Wrekenton - QE Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle (Limited Stop). To operate every 7 minutes during the day.

The current X1 at the 10 minute frequency takes just over an hour end to end. Newcastle to Washington Galleries takes around 30. I reckon by making these changes, it'd provide a better frequency where required, and also have a financial benefit by fact the PVR can be decreased.

The 4 can (and does) get packed at times on the southern section.
Like other services, I feel it will be dependent on the time of day.

The southern section also has the 2a/2c and 8 in part which can dilute numbers between the services.

The northern section seems to vary too, with a lot of passengers travelling on the parts between Galleries & Concord (guessing they use the 4 over a W or M service or an infrequent 50) and Concord & Heworth (quickest route again?).
Maybe there is the need for a peak time dupe or short run between certain points?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Yeah - I've used the 4 from Heworth to Houghton a couple of times, there is usually a big number of passengers using it from Heworth to Washington, and often a decent load to where the Arts Centre is, but there was only about seven or eight people up to Fence Houses where a few boarded. My suggestion would be to have the service running every 7/8 minutes between Heworth and Washington Arts Centre, with the service extending to Houghton every 15 minutes. Another good effect this would have is increased passenger numbers on the 71 from Houghton to Fence Houses as the passengers on the 71 aren't the best as the 4 generally gets the majority of them.

As for the X1, I've noticed most people make the journey from Newcastle straight to Washington (for connections more than likely), and not many people board at other parts of the route. Therefore, I would have the service running every 20 minutes between Easington Lane and Newcastle in it's current form, then a new X6 service operating between Newcastle and Washington direct every 30 minutes, with one extending to Teal Farm, Waterview Park, Seaham, Murton, South Hetton and Peterlee, replacing the 202 which was talked about not long ago.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(03 Jul 2014, 7:31 pm)Tom wrote Yeah - I've used the 4 from Heworth to Houghton a couple of times, there is usually a big number of passengers using it from Heworth to Washington, and often a decent load to where the Arts Centre is, but there was only about seven or eight people up to Fence Houses where a few boarded. My suggestion would be to have the service running every 7/8 minutes between Heworth and Washington Arts Centre, with the service extending to Houghton every 15 minutes. Another good effect this would have is increased passenger numbers on the 71 from Houghton to Fence Houses as the passengers on the 71 aren't the best as the 4 generally gets the majority of them.

As for the X1, I've noticed most people make the journey from Newcastle straight to Washington (for connections more than likely), and not many people board at other parts of the route. Therefore, I would have the service running every 20 minutes between Easington Lane and Newcastle in it's current form, then a new X6 service operating between Newcastle and Washington direct every 30 minutes, with one extending to Teal Farm, Waterview Park, Seaham, Murton, South Hetton and Peterlee, replacing the 202 which was talked about not long ago.

I personally think the 202 in it's current form should be binned and modify it to goto Murton-Peterlee via Dalton Park, Hawthorn and Easington Village. To deal with the loss to South Hetton, extend a 61 an hour to South Hetton, infact I would like to see GNE modify the 61 and introduce a 61A

61:-
Normal Route

61A:-
When it gets to Murton to go Woods Terrace, Pit Road, Cornwall Estate, Burnip Road, Wellfield Road, Murton Station with 1ph extending to South Hetton...which would probably only add about 15 Minutes to the current timetable I reckon.

Re:- X1 would it not work by splitting the route at Hetton and send one onto Murton or DP and have the frequency every 30 from E.Lane, 1ph from Murton and every 20 mins from Hetton...

My mind is fried right so will have a proper think about it when I can be arsed
(02 Jul 2014, 8:26 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Well the service would be along Lobley Hill Road, stopping at the junction with Victoria Road...
Perfect eh?

I expected nothing less from you !

Can't see you being happy with this talk of dropping the frequency of the 4 on the FPF territory either & neither am I !!!
(03 Jul 2014, 8:27 pm)busman101 wrote I expected nothing less from you !

Can't see you being happy with this talk of dropping the frequency of the 4 on the FPF territory either & neither am I !!!

Whey aye, could even have it loop around Victoria Road to make it even handier.

Nah, the FPF won't be too impressed - however if a reduction in the 4 was made up by the introduction of a direct service to Newcastle, then that could form a happy medium.
4 - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Fatfield - Shiney Row - Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring

4A - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Shiney Row - Houghton le Spring - Hetton le Hole - Easington Lane

X1 - Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle

X2 - Houghton le Spring - Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Concord - Heworth - Gateshead - Newcastle

All will operate Every 20 Minutes/Every 10 Minutes Combined Monday to Saturday Daytimes and Hourly on Sundays.

71/71A - Newcastle Pilgrim Street (71)/MetroCentre (71A) - Gateshead (71) - Team Valley - Birtley - Chester le Street - Great Lumley - Fence Houses - Houghton le Spring - Seaham - Dalton Park - Peterlee
Hourly/Every 30 Minutes Combined Mon to Saturday
(04 Jul 2014, 5:28 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote 4 - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Fatfield - Shiney Row - Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring

4A - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Shiney Row - Houghton le Spring - Hetton le Hole - Easington Lane

X1 - Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle

X2 - Houghton le Spring - Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Concord - Heworth - Gateshead - Newcastle

All will operate Every 20 Minutes/Every 10 Minutes Combined Monday to Saturday Daytimes and Hourly on Sundays.

71/71A - Newcastle Pilgrim Street (71)/MetroCentre (71A) - Gateshead (71) - Team Valley - Birtley - Chester le Street - Great Lumley - Fence Houses - Houghton le Spring - Seaham - Dalton Park - Peterlee
Hourly/Every 30 Minutes Combined Mon to Saturday

That looks great - but having that revised 71 stop at the Metrocentre and carry on to towards Lumley would seem a bit like the old X22.

P.S. - Fencehouses is all one word Tongue
(04 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm)Marcus wrote That looks great - but having that revised 71 stop at the Metrocentre and carry on to towards Lumley would seem a bit like the old X22.

You can spell it both ways.
(04 Jul 2014, 5:51 pm)Marcus wrote Really? I've seen it on postal addresses, timetables, pretty much everything spelt as Fencehouses.

You learn something new everyday! Tongue

Go North East spell it as ''Fence Houses''?
(04 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm)Marcus wrote That looks great - but having that revised 71 stop at the Metrocentre and carry on to towards Lumley would seem a bit like the old X22.

Go North East say otherwise

[attachment=5685]

Back on Topic, How else can you improve the 71
(04 Jul 2014, 5:54 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Go North East say otherwise

I've already said mine on the GNE Changes thread.
(04 Jul 2014, 5:54 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Go North East say otherwise

I guess there are two ways to spell it - even Wikipedia says 'Fencehouses' - but we know how unreliable they are! Tongue

I would do something like this -

# 71

Houghton-Le-Spring - Newbottle - Bournmoor - Fencehouses - Woodstone - Lumley - Chester

# 71A

Houghton-Le-Spring - Newbottle - Bournmoor - Fencehouses - Woodstone - Lumley - Chester - Washington - Biddick - Washington - Chester

Just a rough draft, so once an hour a 71 would run, and then a 71A would run next in that repeating pattern. Possibly an interworking at Houghton, so a 71 comes in from Chester, then goes back as a 71A and so on.
(04 Jul 2014, 6:11 pm)Marcus wrote I guess there are two ways to spell it - even Wikipedia says 'Fencehouses' - but we know how unreliable they are! Tongue

I would do something like this -

# 71

Houghton-Le-Spring - Newbottle - Bournmoor - Fencehouses - Woodstone - Lumley - Chester

# 71A

Houghton-Le-Spring - Newbottle - Bournmoor - Fencehouses - Woodstone - Lumley - Chester - Washington - Biddick - Washington - Chester

Just a rough draft, so once an hour a 71 would run, and then a 71A would run next in that repeating pattern. Possibly an interworking at Houghton, so a 71 comes in from Chester, then goes back as a 71A and so on.

From Wikipedia:
Home to the FPF, Fencehouses, or Fence Houses, is a small village within the parish of Houghton-le-Spring, on the edge of the City of Sunderland, England for the South with the North under the control ...

I don't think that would work, the 8 and 50 already cover Galleries-Washington, and I reckon this would just make the service less profitable.
(04 Jul 2014, 5:53 pm)Tom wrote Go North East spell it as ''Fence Houses''?

There is only 1 way to settle this 'debate'...ask the FPF how they want it spelt Tongue
(04 Jul 2014, 6:13 pm)Tom wrote From Wikipedia:

I don't think that would work, the 8 and 50 already cover Galleries-Washington, and I reckon this would just make the service less profitable.

Could possibly allow for the Washington Shuttles to either be shortened or altered in the Biddick section?

Perhaps it would be worth considering a 50A in the daytime, like 1 #50 an hour and 1 #50A an hour? So then both versions of the route to Washington would see use, and maybe as people in that section of the current 50 route will then not have as much flexibility, it could possibly boost passengers?
Site Administrator
(04 Jul 2014, 6:13 pm)Tom wrote From Wikipedia:

NEB users have had their paws on Wikipedia again!!
Both Durham and Sunderland Councils have road signs using 'Fencehouses' and 'Fence Houses'.
The FPF aren't pedantic enough to complain about road signs, just bus services.

However the BBB (Bournmoor Busy Bodies) complained to DCC, as road signs at either end of the village had it as 'Burnmoor' and 'Bournmoor'.
(04 Jul 2014, 6:37 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Both Durham and Sunderland Councils have road signs using 'Fencehouses' and 'Fence Houses'.
The FPF aren't pedantic enough to complain about road signs, just bus services.

However the BBB (Bournmoor Busy Bodies) complained to DCC, as road signs at either end of the village had it as 'Burnmoor' and 'Bournmoor'.

I've noticed that - the bus times for scholars issued to new students at my school also say 'Burnmoor'.
(04 Jul 2014, 6:39 pm)Marcus wrote I've noticed that - the bus times for scholars issued to new students at my school also say 'Burnmoor'.

That's probably just Park View School being pants, as ever !
(04 Jul 2014, 8:04 pm)Marcus wrote Oh yeah - I mean every single of the 1000+ students was sent a letter (via the post) informing parents about a strike. Not a single one reached their destination....

Count me in on that one - had no letter here about a strike !
(04 Jul 2014, 9:21 pm)busman101 wrote Count me in on that one - had no letter here about a strike !
The only teaching union out is the NUT. Not enough time for others to ballot their members and give the employer notice now. I know Washington and Biddick are shut round here, but not sure on others?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(04 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm)aureolin wrote The only teaching union out is the NUT. Not enough time for others to ballot their members and give the employer notice now. I know Washington and Biddick are shut round here, but not sure on others?

As Park View North Lodge site is Year 7 and Year 8 only, I reckon it'll get the day off considering Church Chare houses our Sixth Form and other exam classes like GCSE revision.
(04 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm)aureolin wrote The only teaching union out is the NUT. Not enough time for others to ballot their members and give the employer notice now. I know Washington and Biddick are shut round here, but not sure on others?

Thought Unison was on strike as well?

Strongly suggests it on here:
https://www.unison.org.uk/news/articles/...uly-strike
I know that hospitals provide a little shuttle in north tyneside but i always thought a major bus company should provide one GNE probably being the best,it would also provide good links to areas in between
Marxista Fozzski
(05 Jul 2014, 11:39 am)V514DFT wrote I know that hospitals provide a little shuttle in north tyneside but i always thought a major bus company should provide one GNE probably being the best,it would also provide good links to areas in between

Do Arriva provide some kind of service in Durham, Bishop and Darlington for the hospitals
(05 Jul 2014, 12:37 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Do Arriva provide some kind of service in Durham, Bishop and Darlington for the hospitals

I wouldnt know im not from that area unfortunately,so cant really provide you with an answer