You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(19 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Not bothered about emissions, I want a vehicle that can keep to time and be mostly reliable (a la Olympian)!

Oh really? I'd never have guessed! Tongue

But the facts are are that companies need to reduce their fuel consumption and increase fuel efficiency to save money and meet the 'Euro' regulations. If you want an Olympian that badly, why not try preserve one of Go North East's ones when they get withdrawn?
(20 Jul 2014, 3:03 pm)GMitchelhill wrote To be honest aren't the Volvo Olympians quite fuel efficent in the first place. Certainly seemed to go all day on the X10 without refuelling compared to the B7TLs.

Possibly a mixture of efficiency and a bigger fuel tank. Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(20 Jul 2014, 4:03 pm)gtom wrote So basically the solution to the X10 is to fit wi-fi to the Olympians

And convert them to Low Floor, and give them a Refurb along with a TTX Repaint.
(20 Jul 2014, 4:08 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote And convert them to Low Floor, and give them a Refurb along with a TTX Repaint.

How would you even go about "converting" a high floor bus to low floor?
(20 Jul 2014, 4:38 pm)BJ10VUS wrote How would you even go about "converting" a high floor bus to low floor?

No Idea, I will that to Thorntons of Ashington to figure out.

TTX Olympian
[attachment=5737]
(20 Jul 2014, 4:41 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote No Idea, I will that to Thorntons of Ashington to figure out.

TTX Olympian

Fantastic work Adam!
Looks brilliant.
Site Administrator
(20 Jul 2014, 5:15 pm)C265XEF wrote Don't forget the compulsory pop bottle which rolls around upper deck, then finds it's way to lower deck.

Bottles rolling around on a bus is actually something which really irritates me - I always feel obliged to kick the bottle off the bus whilst I am alighting.

(20 Jul 2014, 5:21 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote I bought a return this morning when boarding from Consett to Newcastle on the x70/x71, from Newcastle on the way back to Consett can i use that return om the 45/46 or does it have to be thr same route.

I've not done it on a GNE service before, but certainly have done it on what was ANE's 5/5A and X93 before.
Site Administrator
The final promotional "The Key" liveried vehicle in the fleet, Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4923 (X923 WGR), has now arrived at Saltmeadows Road for repaint into corporate livery.

Following on from the withdrawal of SPDs 8232 and 8236 and Volvo B10BLE 4848, this means that this promotional livery is now non-existent.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:28 pm)Dan wrote The final promotional "The Key" liveried vehicle in the fleet, Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4923 (X923 WGR), has now arrived at Saltmeadows Road for repaint into corporate livery.

Following on from the withdrawal of SPDs 8232 and 8236 and Volvo B10BLE 4848, this means that this promotional livery is now non-existent.

4848 and 4923 both seemed to avoid me - only caught 8232 in that livery.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:23 pm)Dan wrote Bottles rolling around on a bus is actually something which really irritates me - I always feel obliged to kick the bottle off the bus whilst I am alighting.

Its usually tins of Stella or Strongbow on Darlington service 5/5A, often hope its an older Pulsar so you can chuck it in the bin.

I think more buses should have bins (although nobody would use them, most buses have Metro newspapers scattered about the bus too because some people are too lazy to put them back in the tray/pouch)
(20 Jul 2014, 4:38 pm)BJ10VUS wrote How would you even go about "converting" a high floor bus to low floor?

Quite easy really and cheap Put car wheels on them I cant forsee any problems
(20 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm)alanf wrote Quite easy really and cheap Put car wheels on them I cant forsee any problems

Won't remove the two steps?
(20 Jul 2014, 5:21 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote I bought a return this morning when boarding from Consett to Newcastle on the x70/x71, from Newcastle on the way back to Consett can i use that return om the 45/46 or does it have to be thr same route.

I'm guessing it's the same route? I know a return on the old X3 used to be £4.40 from Sunderland to Newcastle, with it being £5 and something on the 56.

Not sure though, because surely if you get a return on the 21 from Gateshead to Newcastle, you'd be able to come back on the 28/A, X1, X9/X10, X36 etc?
(20 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I'm guessing it's the same route? I know a return on the old X3 used to be £4.40 from Sunderland to Newcastle, with it being £5 and something on the 56.

Not sure though, because surely if you get a return on the 21 from Gateshead to Newcastle, you'd be able to come back on the 28/A, X1, X9/X10, X36 etc?

Only done it the once, But I got a Return from Washington Galleries to Sunderland on the 2C, Then came back on the 8, So I would think, as long as you are travelling to the same Destination then it should be ok.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I'm guessing it's the same route? I know a return on the old X3 used to be £4.40 from Sunderland to Newcastle, with it being £5 and something on the 56.

You can use it on the 28s, providing your not getting off on a part of the route that is only served by one service while you bought your ticket on the other. I think it might be best to ask a Chester driver though.
(20 Jul 2014, 6:01 pm)Marcus wrote You can use it on the 28s, providing your not getting off on a part of the route that is only served by one service while you bought your ticket on the other. I think it might be best to ask a Chester driver though.

I think returns can be used on any service that serves the place you want to go to. I dont think the depot the service is operated from makes a difference (thats if im interpreting your post correctly).
Site Administrator
(20 Jul 2014, 6:48 pm)Andy wrote Is 9131 still at GNE?

No - went back to Lothian and is now with Brighton and Hove.
(20 Jul 2014, 6:50 pm)Dan wrote No - went back to Lothian and is now with Brighton and Hove.

Dan, Stop it - Bloody Twice I have went post the same answer to a Query, and you've beat me by mere seconds.
Site Administrator
(20 Jul 2014, 6:51 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Dan, Stop it - Bloody Twice I have went post the same answer to a Query, and you've beat me by mere seconds.

...and I'm answering these questions in between races on DiRT 3!
Speed up, Malarkey!
(20 Jul 2014, 5:28 pm)Dan wrote The final promotional "The Key" liveried vehicle in the fleet, Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4923 (X923 WGR), has now arrived at Saltmeadows Road for repaint into corporate livery.

It was being topped up by a fitter the other day. Bonnet was open too,so must have had an issue or two elsewhere.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'