You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(23 Jul 2014, 9:11 pm)marxistafozzski wrote What exactly does Legal Tender mean, the only time I have ever heard the words Legal Tender is when a Scottish or Northern Irish Banknote is produced, as if the phrase was invented specifically for the moment you produce Scottish/N.I. Notes, driver not happy to take it off a passenger, but very happy to swap it with an old dear hahaha, I spent a N.I 10er in Newcastle Airport once and the cashier looked at me like he had just caught me shagging his Mrs up the chuff

Hopefully she was able to spend it without any hassle...
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(24 Jul 2014, 6:38 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Hopefully she was able to spend it without any hassle...

Given what tyresmoke said in his last post, it seems obvious to me why drivers aren't particularly willing to accept Scottish notes.

Other businesses clearly can accept Scottish notes, as they'll use different methods to "cash in", but I suspect if Arriva's cashing in machines don't accept Scottish currency, then neither will Go North East's.

I have once tried to pay a bus fare in Scotland with an English note, and, despite being told by a friend who lives up there and regularly accompanies me on my trips up North, that the driver would accept it no problem, the driver thoroughly inspected the note and then reluctantly accepted it - which was a bit awkward for me as it made me look like some sort of crook to those who were waiting to get on the bus behind me. After that, I decided to always use the correct fare whenever possible when travelling up North (especially when using Lothian, of course). I hadn't thought of the reasoning behind a bus operator being reluctant to accept English/Scottish currency before Scott's post, but it makes sense now.
(24 Jul 2014, 6:42 am)Dan wrote Given what tyresmoke said in his last post, it seems obvious to me why drivers aren't particularly willing to accept Scottish notes.

Other businesses clearly can accept Scottish notes, as they'll use different methods to "cash in", but I suspect if Arriva's cashing in machines don't accept Scottish currency, then neither will Go North East's.

I have once tried to pay a bus fare in Scotland with an English note, and, despite being told by a friend who lives up there and regularly accompanies me on my trips up North, that the driver would accept it no problem, the driver thoroughly inspected the note and then reluctantly accepted it - which was a bit awkward for me as it made me look like some sort of crook. I hadn't thought of the reasoning behind a bus operator being reluctant to accept English/Scottish currency before Scott's post.

Are GNE's machines the same?

If he used the cashing in machines as a reason not to accept the money, then fare enough.
He didn't and essentially went against company policy by initially refusing to accept it.

The fact he stated the money wasn't legal tender, but was quite happy to see an oap wander round with 'pretendy money' after doing the swap, doesn't sit quite right with me either.
Site Administrator
(24 Jul 2014, 6:46 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Are GNE's machines the same?

If he used the cashing in machines as a reason not to accept the money, then fare enough.
He didn't and essentially went against company policy by initially refusing to accept it.

The fact he stated the money wasn't legal tender, but was quite happy to see an oap wander round with 'pretendy money' after doing the swap, doesn't sit quite right with me either.

I'm not sure - perhaps tyresmoke and our Go North East drivers can help with that one.

Riverside's cashing in machines are the ones shown below:
[Image: 12016933113_b50948ff4d.jpg]Go North East's NEW Bus Depot: Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

I'd presume that GNE have the same type across all of their depots to make things a little simpler, but again, one to be confirmed by a driver at another depot besides Riverside.
(24 Jul 2014, 6:52 am)Dan wrote I'm not sure - perhaps tyresmoke and our Go North East drivers can help with that one.

Riverside's cashing in machines are the ones shown below:
[Image: 12016933113_b50948ff4d.jpg]Go North East's NEW Bus Depot: Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

I'd presume that GNE have the same type across all of their depots to make things a little simpler, but again, one to be confirmed by a driver at another depot besides Riverside.

If the cash machine rejects the notes, the drivers pay them in manually.
Site Administrator
(24 Jul 2014, 7:48 am)citaro5284 wrote If the cash machine rejects the notes, the drivers pay them in manually.

I see.
I'm guessing this involves the driver hanging around for a few minutes extra to do this? No wonder they don't want to accept them - they want to get 'ome! Tongue
(24 Jul 2014, 7:59 am)Dan wrote I see.
I'm guessing this involves the driver hanging around for a few minutes extra to do this? No wonder they don't want to accept them - they want to get 'ome! Tongue

Yep same machines that we use, though the ones I used at Stagecoach also didn't like Scottish notes, thankfully they're pretty rare though!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(23 Jul 2014, 5:24 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote The Hxxx BNL ones - circa 1991 Big Grin
Ex Sunderland busways
(24 Jul 2014, 9:12 am)Acky81 wrote Ex Sunderland busways

Except 675/676 which were South Shields, In the economic livery.

(24 Jul 2014, 5:46 am)Dan wrote You can (as I regularly do use mine).

You can't purchase a 90p single on board the TTX with your Get Around Key Card but a £3.75 Get Around day ticket is perfectly valid.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am confused as to what the case is. So, even if you're travelling on the part of the route between Newcastle and East Boldon, you can't buy a 90p single? It says "off-peak" fares aren't available, but it's always the off-peak price in Tyne and Wear, isn't it?
Site Administrator
(24 Jul 2014, 9:28 am)BJ10VUS wrote I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am confused as to what the case is. So, even if you're travelling on the part of the route between Newcastle and East Boldon, you can't buy a 90p single? It says "off-peak" fares aren't available, but it's always the off-peak price in Tyne and Wear, isn't it?

I hadn't really thought about the short hops between Newcastle and East Boldon if I'm honest, because very few people actually use the Tyne Tees Xpress for that journey (it's more likely that someone would choose the Crusader for anything towards Heworth, and the Fast Cats X36 for all stops after that). I'd assume that Go North East thought similar when they wrote that line on the website.

Out of interest, has anyone actually seen the TTX stop at Testo's Roundabout?

As it's always a 90p single fare during peak and off-peak periods in Tyne & Wear, I'd imagine you would be able to buy a 90p single on the TTX between either of the aforementioned locations.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(24 Jul 2014, 9:44 am)Dan wrote I hadn't really thought about the short hops between Newcastle and East Boldon if I'm honest, because very few people actually use the Tyne Tees Xpress for that journey (it's more likely that someone would choose the Crusader for anything towards Heworth, and the Fast Cats X36 for all stops after that). I'd assume that Go North East thought similar when they wrote that line on the website.

As it's always a 90p single fare during peak and off-peak periods in Tyne & Wear, I'd imagine you would be able to buy a 90p single on the TTX between either of the aforementioned locations.

I never have, next time I have a look out gonna get a TTX from Peterlee to Testo's Roundabout then cross the road and get the next TTX back
(24 Jul 2014, 9:49 am)marxistafozzski wrote I never have, next time I have a look out gonna get a TTX from Peterlee to Testo's Roundabout then cross the road and get the next TTX back

I've used a few that have stopped there but it is very rare.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(24 Jul 2014, 9:44 am)Dan wrote Out of interest, has anyone actually seen the TTX stop at Testo's Roundabout?

I've been on a few that have stop there in both directions - but was setting down northbound and picking up southbound.
Site Administrator
Delays expected to the 56 - apparently something's happened near the transport museum close by the Wheatsheaf - police cars and ambulances in attendance with all passengers remaining on-board the vehicle.
(24 Jul 2014, 9:44 am)Dan wrote I hadn't really thought about the short hops between Newcastle and East Boldon if I'm honest, because very few people actually use the Tyne Tees Xpress for that journey (it's more likely that someone would choose the Crusader for anything towards Heworth, and the Fast Cats X36 for all stops after that). I'd assume that Go North East thought similar when they wrote that line on the website.

ive boarded the X10 from testo's roundabout before, but the bus stop is no way near the roundabout though, its quite a hike between the bus stop for the X9/X10 and the test's roundabout Middlesbrough bound.

Have alook on nexus website and scroll the map until you land onto testos roundabout.

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/16075.pdf
http://liners.nexus.org.uk/16080.pdf

(24 Jul 2014, 9:49 am)marxistafozzski wrote I never have, next time I have a look out gonna get a TTX from Peterlee to Testo's Roundabout then cross the road and get the next TTX back

Don't get knocked over lol

Couple of OAP's have said the 50 has broken down in chester, heading for the galls.

Just passed chester depot and theres currently a whey aye omni in there amd a red solar has just entered... not sure if the scania was the one who had problems..

Im currently on one of branded Lime buses.... its making the worst noise every, engine sounds terrible
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Jul 2014, 9:28 am)BJ10VUS wrote I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am confused as to what the case is. So, even if you're travelling on the part of the route between Newcastle and East Boldon, you can't buy a 90p single? It says "off-peak" fares aren't available, but it's always the off-peak price in Tyne and Wear, isn't it?

CAT tickets are valid on the few stops within T&W, so there is no reason a 90p fare isn't.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(24 Jul 2014, 12:32 pm)cbma06 wrote Don't get knocked over lol

I will try not to get mown down, it is quite a busy junction like

I've been on X9/10 several times when it has stopped at Testo's, but the only person to have got off on a trip from Newcastle is me!! All other times have been when someone's travelling to/from Middlesbrough etc.
Does anyone know what is happening to 635 and 636 this week, as GNE are due to loose the 37/73 from this Sunday.

Are they moving depot or are they staying at Deptford due to GNE running the 38C/135/136 on a night and Sundays?

GNE are also loosing the 558 contract to, although GNE only run it on Sundays.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
4959 has caught the annoying lurch when idling that my favourite purple Solar has.

Speaking of which, my favourite purple Solar (5213) has broken down in Houghton.
Second one in two days.
(24 Jul 2014, 1:44 pm)Michael wrote Does anyone know what is happening to 635 and 636 this week, as GNE are due to loose the 37/73 from this Sunday.

Are they moving depot or are they staying at Deptford due to GNE running the 38C/135/136 on a night and Sundays?

GNE are also loosing the 558 contract to, although GNE only run it on Sundays.

I would think a Simplicity Branded Optare Versa or a Drifter Branded Wright Streetlite would see usage on the 135/136 in the Evenings and on Sundays, in place of Solo SR's 635/636, As think it would be illogical to have them sit in the Depot all Day, and then have do the 135/136 in the Evening.

In all honesty God knows what will happen with 635/636, In my opinion I think they should be Transferred to Washington to replace the 2 Cadets which caught Fire over past few Months, As I don't think Washington even got any Replacements for them, off top of my Head other than moving to Crook for the 18, I can't see where else they could fit in for other Services.
(24 Jul 2014, 4:19 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I would think a Simplicity Branded Optare Versa or a Drifter Branded Wright Streetlite would see usage on the 135/136 in the Evenings and on Sundays, in place of Solo SR's 635/636, As think it would be illogical to have them sit in the Depot all Day, and then have do the 135/136 in the Evening.

In all honesty God knows what will happen with 635/636, In my opinion I think they should be Transferred to Washington to replace the 2 Cadets which caught Fire over past few Months, As I don't think Washington even got any Replacements for them, off top of my Head other than moving to Crook for the 18, I can't see where else they could fit in for other Services.

13 at Chester?
Site Administrator
(24 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm)Tom wrote Good idea

For all of two months? I don't see the point in it.

The National Trust, no doubt, contributed to the repainting of the two yellow MPDs. They wouldn't do so again for two Solo SRs, for two months.