You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(24 Jul 2014, 4:58 pm)Dan wrote For all of two months? I don't see the point in it.

The National Trust, no doubt, contributed to the repainting of the two yellow MPDs. They wouldn't do so again for two Solo SRs, for two months.

Ah right - so where could they go?
(24 Jul 2014, 5:00 pm)Tom wrote Ah right - so where could they go?

27X could use 1, least they could withdraw one more MPD.

Other one could go to Saltmeadows for spares or stay at Deptford to used as a spare.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Of course, the other option is service 99. That way, two MPDs are released (when they get the shuttle service MPDs back) and services 135/136 remain operated by the Solos.

I've not heard anything about them moving, so I'm just guessing here...
(24 Jul 2014, 5:48 pm)Dan wrote Of course, the other option is service 99. That way, two MPDs are released (when they get the shuttle service MPDs back) and services 135/136 remain operated by the Solos.

I've not heard anything about them moving, so I'm just guessing here...

The air bus? haha

What is the PVR for the 38?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(24 Jul 2014, 5:54 pm)Michael wrote The air bus? haha

What is the PVR for the 38?
We established before that the loading I had from A-B before was pretty decent (for a mini bus route)!

PVR of the 38 is also 2.
(24 Jul 2014, 5:57 pm)Dan wrote We established before that the loading I had from A-B before was pretty decent (for a mini bus route)!

PVR of the 38 is also 2.

Could be or the 38 might get them, as they could run on the 38C?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Jul 2014, 9:36 pm)Tom wrote Is there any chance the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation brand will be reinstated?

If it was - I would like to see it on the 13s and 14s, seeing as they are the Langley Park locals, although the connection with Newcastle and the brand is due to him being a Newcastle manager.

If the 13/14s got a brand - I would like to see it be 'Gypsy Queen' - just like the 43/44s got 'Diamond'.
(24 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm)Marcus wrote If it was - I would like to see it on the 13s and 14s, seeing as they are the Langley Park locals, although the connection with Newcastle and the brand is due to him being a Newcastle manager.

If the 13/14s got a brand - I would like to see it be 'Gypsy Queen' - just like the 43/44s got 'Diamond'.

That's a good idea!
I reckon the X25 could be worthy of Omncities so a possible brand then if that was to happen?
(24 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm)Tom wrote That's a good idea!
I reckon the X25 could be worthy of Omncities so a possible brand then if that was to happen?

I think one of 5255-5260 appeared on it while they were in the process of arriving/branding etc - would have been a nice ride, like Smile

http://ronandton.files.wordpress.com/201...rident.png

It looks nice on a Lolyne
(24 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm)Tom wrote That's a good idea!

Only problem with the X25 getting a brand is some runs need to be double deckers as I think it interworks with school services.
Site Administrator
(24 Jul 2014, 10:22 pm)Marcus wrote I know the X25 interworks with the morning 888, and I believe another is the 814, but that might be the 13 or 14?
It works very bizarrely to my memory.
A bus which does scholars on a morning and then heads back to the depot for the rest of the day will end up on the X25 by, say, 3pm.

Re-branding the X25 is very unlikely.
Site Administrator
Following on from discussion in the Rare & Odd Workings thread, I've managed to ask a few questions and (thankfully) get an answer, as to which Dennis Trident vehicles are currently on loan to other depots from Percy Main. I have outlined these below:

To Deptford
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3858 (V858 EGR)
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3859 (W859 PNL)
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3870 (W174 SCU)
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3871 (W181 SCU)
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3874 (W184 SCU)

These vehicles are covering for Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents 6008, 6020, 6028, 6099 and 6100 which are currently at Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games. During school holidays when branded vehicles are unavailable, Volvo B7TLs frequently crop up on "Prince Bishops" service 20 and "Laser" service 35 - two services which often require additional capacity. Should any branded vehicles therefore be unavailable, the Dennis Trident vehicles on loan can be allocated to the aforementioned services. Likewise, should any branded vehicles be unavailable for "Fab Fifty Six" service 56, the first point of call should be to always ensure this service is operated by a double decker. I'd imagine it's quite likely that they will also be utilised on the air show services this weekend too.

To Washington
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3803 (V858 EGR)

This vehicle is covering for Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents 6027, 6029 and 6032. I do not believe it saw service yesterday, but should be utilised on "Red Arrows" service X1 when a branded vehicle is unavailable so that the service always remains operated by a double decker.

Given that Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3873 (W183 SCU) is currently at Saltmeadows for repaint into corporate livery, Percy Main is currently seven Tridents down to what they would usually have during school term time. Although the number of vehicles on loan to other depots is higher than we originally thought, my views on the subject have most definitely not changed. It goes without saying that they still have three outstanding Dennis Trident vehicles as well as the three Volvo B7TL vehicles. These six vehicles should be shared between "DFDS Seaways" service 327 and "Cobalt Clipper" services 309/310 - the latter of which is minus its two red spare B9TLs (6116/17). It is very rare for "DFDS Seaways" service 327 to demand ten vehicles (including the four branded vehicles), so both services should always be allocated double decker vehicles - providing none of their remaining double decker vehicles are VOR.
(25 Jul 2014, 6:14 am)Dan wrote Following on from discussion in the Rare & Odd Workings thread, I've managed to ask a few questions and (thankfully) get an answer, as to which Dennis Trident vehicles are currently on loan to other depots from Percy Main. I have outlined these below:

To Deptford

These vehicles are covering for Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents 6008, 6020, 6028, 6099 and 6100 which are currently at Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games. During school holidays when branded vehicles are unavailable, Volvo B7TLs frequently crop up on "Prince Bishops" service 20 and "Laser" service 35 - two services which often require additional capacity. Should any branded vehicles therefore be unavailable, the Dennis Trident vehicles on loan can be allocated to the aforementioned services. Likewise, should any branded vehicles be unavailable for "Fab Fifty Six" service 56, the first point of call should be to always ensure this service is operated by a double decker. I'd imagine it's quite likely that they will also be utilised on the air show services this weekend too.

Id rather have anything at Deptford than a trident!

And yet won't be getting a full decker allocation soon!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(25 Jul 2014, 6:58 am)Michael wrote Id rather have anything at Deptford than a trident!

And yet won't be getting a full decker allocation soon!

What...even a Vyking? Rolleyes
Site Administrator
(25 Jul 2014, 6:14 am)Dan wrote Following on from discussion in the Rare & Odd Workings thread, I've managed to ask a few questions and (thankfully) get an answer, as to which Dennis Trident vehicles are currently on loan to other depots from Percy Main. I have outlined these below:

To Deptford

To Washington
  • Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3803 (V858 EGR)

This vehicle is covering for Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents 6027, 6029 and 6032. I do not believe it saw service yesterday, but should be utilised on "Red Arrows" service X1 when a branded vehicle is unavailable so that the service always remains operated by a double decker.

Given that Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3873 (W183 SCU) is currently at Saltmeadows for repaint into corporate livery, Percy Main is currently seven Tridents down to what they would usually have during school term time. Although the number of vehicles on loan to other depots is higher than we originally thought, my views on the subject have most definitely not changed. It goes without saying that they still have three outstanding Dennis Trident vehicles as well as the three Volvo B7TL vehicles. These six vehicles should be shared between "DFDS Seaways" service 327 and "Cobalt Clipper" services 309/310 - the latter of which is minus its two red spare B9TLs (6116/17). It is very rare for "DFDS Seaways" service 327 to demand ten vehicles (including the four branded vehicles), so both services should always be allocated double decker vehicles - providing none of their remaining double decker vehicles are VOR.

I am told that Dennis Trident 3874 has transferred from Deptford to Washington, allowing similar 3803 to be transferred back to Percy Main.
(25 Jul 2014, 8:11 am)Dan wrote I am told that Dennis Trident 3874 has transferred from Deptford to Washington, allowing similar 3803 to be transferred back to Percy Main.

I guess on Saturday afternoon when I get back I'm going to have to go out and photo all of these odd allocations!
Where am I likely to find them is anyone's guess though - M2/M3, W5/W6 or X1 at Washington, and basically anything at Deptford.
Site Administrator
(25 Jul 2014, 8:16 am)Tom wrote I guess on Saturday afternoon when I get back I'm going to have to go out and photo all of these odd allocations!
Where am I likely to find them is anyone's guess though - M2/M3, W5/W6 or X1 at Washington, and basically anything at Deptford.

Have to disagree with you on this one.

Although standards have slightly slipped in the past week or two at Deptford (mainly due to a shortage of 'mini' vehicles - with two MPDs on loan to Peterlee, one to Washington and another to Percy Main), allocations have improved significantly compared to a few months ago.

Most days in recent weeks, so I am told, Deptford has had no odd allocations (excluding corporate liveried spares) from the start of service. Those odd allocations that we have seen have been replacements during the day, often covering for breakdowns.
I've stopped chasing this one up now with friends at Deptford (given that it was getting quite repetitive), but for over a week the "Drifter" had a full Streetlite allocation. One was noted on service 29 yesterday, but I'm guessing this was a breakdown replacement and the bus was VOR on the morning.
(25 Jul 2014, 8:27 am)Dan wrote Have to disagree with you on this one.

Although standards have slightly slipped in the past week or two at Deptford (mainly due to a shortage of 'mini' vehicles - with two MPDs on loan to Peterlee, one to Washington and another to Percy Main), allocations have improved significantly compared to a few months ago.

Most days in recent weeks, so I am told, Deptford has had no odd allocations (excluding corporate liveried spares) from the start of service. Those odd allocations that we have seen have been replacements during the day, often covering for breakdowns.
I've stopped chasing this one up now with friends at Deptford (given that it was getting quite repetitive), but for over a week the "Drifter" had a full Streetlite allocation. One was noted on service 29 yesterday, but I'm guessing this was a breakdown replacement and the bus was VOR on the morning.

I have to take back my bad review of the streetlite... its proved that it all of them can be on the road at once.

Although i think they should of bought a spare for it!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jul 2014, 8:27 am)Dan wrote Have to disagree with you on this one.

So where do you reckon the best place to go for photographs of them would be?
Site Administrator
(25 Jul 2014, 8:30 am)Michael wrote I have to take back my bad review of the streetlite... its proved that it all of them can be on the road at once.

Although i think they should of bought a spare for it!

Yes, I think we were all rather sceptical about the Streetlites given that, for the first few months, a red spare seemed to be allocated daily to the "Drifter".

I do think things have massively improved now though, and although one has had to be re-engined (so soon), I think we can put it down to very bad teething issues with them. I can't account for what the ones at Riverside are like, but I trust it will be a similar story.

I do think it's a shame red spares weren't purchased for the services that didn't receive a red spare last year - and a tremendous shame that the two spare "Venture" Solo SRs weren't delivered in red.

(25 Jul 2014, 8:32 am)Tom wrote So where do you reckon the best place to go for photographs of them would be?

Every depot has their ups and downs - some more than others. I don't think there really is a 'best place' to go to catch odd workings, as it's mostly just down to luck with catching them.
(25 Jul 2014, 8:33 am)Dan wrote Yes, I think we were all rather sceptical about the Streetlites given that, for the first few months, a red spare seemed to be allocated daily to the "Drifter".

I do think things have massively improved now though, and although one has had to be re-engined (so soon), I think we can put it down to very bad teething issues with them. I can't account for what the ones at Riverside are like, but I trust it will be a similar story.

I do think it's a shame red spares weren't purchased for the services that didn't receive a red spare last year - and a tremendous shame that the two spare "Venture" Solo SRs weren't delivered in red.

Same as the Citaro's for the 4, no spares were bought there.

I think all future buys should have at least 1 spare
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(25 Jul 2014, 9:22 am)danpick wrote 4968 was the 9ish 35 A out of south shields.

Shall I give it another go and try to catch up with it?! Tongue
I'm gathering promotional brands are being slowly removed from the fleet. will this include the Beamish branded bus?
Site Administrator
(25 Jul 2014, 9:25 am)Tom wrote I'm gathering promotional brands are being slowly removed from the fleet. will this include the Beamish branded bus?
Due for withdrawal in a matter of months - no point repainting it.