You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
Given the popularity of the X36 - I wonder if a hourly service could start on Sundays, with a short X35 to Peterlee.

So something like this:

Newcastle: 15
Gateshead: 24
Sunderland: 04

Sunderland: 10
Houghton: 35
Peterlee: 05

Peterlee: 12
Houghton: 42
Sunderland: 57

Sunderland: 13
Gateshead: 55
Newcastle: 05

It would only require three buses too.
A Suggestion for future Airshow Services, Here is a few Examples

**New Services**
A4 - Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - Seaburn
A5 - Middlesbrough - Stockton - Peterlee - Sunderland - Seaburn

Then you could Services operating in a similar Fashion to that of the Services which operate from the Stadium of Light when Concerts are on.

2A/2C - Washington to Seaburn
20 - Durham to Seaburn
60 - Seaham to Seaburn
8/78 - Consett/Stanley to Seaburn
56 - Newcastle to Seaburn

Friday - 5pm with a frequent Service until 7:15pm
Returning 19:45 with a frequent Service until 11pm

Saturday/Sunday - 9am with a frequent service until 2pm
Returning 12:30pm with a frequent Service until 6pm
Just come up with an idea to improve the X25 and 13.

So, it runs normally from Newcastle, gets to Chester-Le-Street, then once it gets to Langley Park my idea comes place. Basically, once an hour, one interworks with the 13, and goes onto Durham. The other journey makes it's way back to Newcastle, and it increases the PVR to 6.
Suggestions for 9 and 19:

- Service 9 operating every 30 mins on its existing route.

- NEW Service 9A operating every 60 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime via the existing 9 route to Percy Main then the 19 route to Seaton Deleval. Buses in Seaton Deleval will then continue via the A192 to the Laverock Hall Road and serve Newsham and Blyth. Please note that this is not really an alternative to the 309 only being a few minutes quicker to Cobalt (less frequent too) and more to do with creating new links between Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside and Sunderland.

- NEW Service 9B operating every 60 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime via the existing 9 route to Percy Main then the 19 route to Ashington.

- With the exception of evening and Sunday services, service 19 would extend to Four Lane Ends from Northumberland Park via Holystone, Benton ASDA, Palmersville, Forest Hall, Great Lime Road, Findus Roundabout, Quorum Business Park, BT Call Centre and West Farm Avenue. Buses would continue to operate to the same frequency as now.
(31 Jul 2014, 7:11 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Suggestions for 9 and 19:

- NEW Service 9A operating every 60 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime via the existing 9 route to Percy Main then the 19 route to Seaton Deleval. Buses in Seaton Deleval will then continue via the A192 to the Laverock Hall Road and serve Newsham and Blyth. Please note that this is not really an alternative to the 309 only being a few minutes quicker to Cobalt (less frequent too) and more to do with creating new links between Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside and Sunderland.

- NEW Service 9B operating every 60 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime via the existing 9 route to Percy Main then the 19 route to Ashington.

- With the exception of evening and Sunday services, service 19 would extend to Four Lane Ends from Northumberland Park via Holystone, Benton ASDA, Palmersville, Forest Hall, Great Lime Road, Findus Roundabout, Quorum Business Park, BT Call Centre and West Farm Avenue. Buses would continue to operate to the same frequency as now.

You not diverting them via Willington Square or Formica? Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(31 Jul 2014, 7:11 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Suggestions for 9 and 19:

Hard to do that when the 19 is funded north of Cramlington
Just thinking, why don't GNE not start a new X37 service at peak times, operating between Concord and Doxford Park, interworking with the short 8s?
(01 Aug 2014, 2:41 pm)Tom wrote Just thinking, why don't GNE not start a new X37 service at peak times, operating between Concord and Doxford Park, interworking with the short 8s?

Would they be operated by Chester? I think those 8s that use the Lolynes have quite a bit on their shoulders, I've been told when they get to Washington they have to wait for an X1 and a 4 to come in before they depart (not sure if it's true or not, but I can imagine it). It could corrupt the timing, if you had an interworking. That is unless a layover was there so those connections (if they do exist) are still guaranteed?

I think Deptford used to operate those 8s, until Chester took over (I'm not sure if Deptford still do some), so possibly Deptford could operate the X37, then it could connect with those 8s?
(01 Aug 2014, 3:48 pm)Marcus wrote Would they be operated by Chester? I think those 8s that use the Lolynes have quite a bit on their shoulders, I've been told when they get to Washington they have to wait for an X1 and a 4 to come in before they depart (not sure if it's true or not, but I can imagine it). It could corrupt the timing, if you had an interworking. That is unless a layover was there so those connections (if they do exist) are still guaranteed?

I think Deptford used to operate those 8s, until Chester took over (I'm not sure if Deptford still do some), so possibly Deptford could operate the X37, then it could connect with those 8s?

Or Washington could operate them?
Site Administrator
(01 Aug 2014, 3:48 pm)Marcus wrote Would they be operated by Chester? I think those 8s that use the Lolynes have quite a bit on their shoulders, I've been told when they get to Washington they have to wait for an X1 and a 4 to come in before they depart (not sure if it's true or not, but I can imagine it). It could corrupt the timing, if you had an interworking. That is unless a layover was there so those connections (if they do exist) are still guaranteed?

Deptford operate the morning short 8s with a "Silver Arrows" branded Merc, and Chester operates the evening short 8s with a "Northern" branded Trident.
Needless to say that the mornings run onto the 2A/2C. Slightly less obvious is the Trident coming off schools (iirc) and then doing those 8s.

If GNE have done this whole commercial 37 venture previously (as aureolin said), I reckon it could happen again.

[Image: 9365689791_868d1c7dc7.jpg]Exterior shot of Go North East's 5320, Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

[Image: 12681523525_e358dfd1d8.jpg]Go North East: 3864 / W864PNL by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
(01 Aug 2014, 4:12 pm)Dan wrote Deptford operate the morning short 8s with a "Silver Arrows" branded Merc, and Chester operates the evening short 8s with a "Northern" branded Trident.
Needless to say that the mornings run onto the 2A/2C. Slightly less obvious is the Trident coming off schools (iirc) and then doing those 8s.

If GNE have done this whole commercial 37 venture previously (as aureolin said), I reckon it could happen again.

[Image: 9365689791_868d1c7dc7.jpg]Exterior shot of Go North East's 5320, Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

[Image: 12681523525_e358dfd1d8.jpg]Go North East: 3864 / W864PNL by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Sorry for bringing up what drivers have told me again (I need to stop Tongue), but one time I was standing on the island at the bottom of Chester with a few GNE staff, and one mentioned he was doing the short 8s, and I swear he said he took it straight out of the depot. However, one thing that makes me inclined to believe that it DOES interwork with scholars is;

The new rota involves the 887, and that finishes at Fatfield about 16:14. Not sure what time the shorts start, but chances are, as recently a lot of Lolynes have been allocated ever since the new rota's introduction, I believe they may interwork. Smile
Site Administrator
(01 Aug 2014, 4:18 pm)Marcus wrote Sorry for bringing up what drivers have told me again (I need to stop Tongue), but one time I was standing on the island at the bottom of Chester with a few GNE staff, and one mentioned he was doing the short 8s, and I swear he said he took it straight out of the depot. However, one thing that makes me inclined to believe that it DOES interwork with scholars is;

The new rota involves the 887, and that finishes at Fatfield about 16:14. Not sure what time the shorts start, but chances are, as recently a lot of Lolynes have been allocated ever since the new rota's introduction, I believe they may interwork. Smile

It may just do schools on a morning then sit around the depot all day - I'm not sure.
It will do schools at some point though, because it wouldn't be allocated a Trident otherwise. :p
(01 Aug 2014, 4:20 pm)Dan wrote It may just do schools on a morning then sit around the depot all day - I'm not sure.
It will do schools at some point though, because it wouldn't be allocated a Trident otherwise. :p

Haha - the schoolkids obviously get the best of the best Wink

It's been operated by the new rota for about 3 weeks now I think (before the schools broke up), and only once did we get a non-Lolyne, and it was a Pronto President.
(01 Aug 2014, 4:18 pm)Marcus wrote Sorry for bringing up what drivers have told me again (I need to stop Tongue), but one time I was standing on the island at the bottom of Chester with a few GNE staff, and one mentioned he was doing the short 8s, and I swear he said he took it straight out of the depot. However, one thing that makes me inclined to believe that it DOES interwork with scholars is;

Last school year, pretty sure it was the Park View run which ended in Shiney (keep getting mixed up with numbers).
(01 Aug 2014, 4:54 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Last school year, pretty sure it was the Park View run which ended in Shiney (keep getting mixed up with numbers).

Most people on the 887 get off in Shiney Row, I don't think any people get off at Fatfield, but I think it's more of a 'turn around' point than an actual stop, but with the possibility of it interworking with the short 8s, that might not be included in the 2014-2015 academic year timetables provided by the school.
(01 Aug 2014, 4:56 pm)Marcus wrote Most people on the 887 get off in Shiney Row, I don't think any people get off at Fatfield, but I think it's more of a 'turn around' point than an actual stop, but with the possibility of it interworking with the short 8s, that might not be included in the 2014-2015 academic year timetables provided by the school.

Does it go to Fatfield?

It would need to go down Washington Highway if that was the case (cos of height restrictions).
I have seen a Trident often parked up on Station Rd (prior to the tunnel) and presumed that it was an 887.

Not sure if Chester have any St Roberts or Biddick runs last year - which would have placed it in that position too.
(01 Aug 2014, 5:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Does it go to Fatfield?

It would need to go down Washington Highway if that was the case (cos of height restrictions).
I have seen a Trident often parked up on Station Rd (prior to the tunnel) and presumed that it was an 887.

Not sure if Chester have any St Roberts or Biddick runs last year - which would have placed it in that position too.

It's a stopping point on the school timetables, so I would assume so.
I think they started the 461 and 462 only this year.
(01 Aug 2014, 4:12 pm)Dan wrote Deptford operate the morning short 8s with a "Silver Arrows" branded Merc, and Chester operates the evening short 8s with a "Northern" branded Trident.

Just out curiosity from looking at 5320 on the 8, Does it run around by the Entrance to Asda, As the Vehicle looks incredibly straight, I would of thought if the Vehicle had came around the Roundabout that 5320 would be more on an angle than it is.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(01 Aug 2014, 6:14 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just out curiosity from looking at 5320 on the 8, Does it run around by the Entrance to Asda, As the Vehicle looks incredibly straight, I would of thought if the Vehicle had came around the Roundabout that 5320 would be more on an angle than it is.
That photo was taken at Waterview Park.
(01 Aug 2014, 6:15 pm)Dan wrote That photo was taken at Waterview Park.

Yeah I know, but did 5320 come from around by Asda, or did it turn at the Roundabout, The Vehicle is so Straight that it looks as though didn't do the Latter.
Site Administrator
(01 Aug 2014, 6:18 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Yeah I know, but did 5320 come from around by Asda, or did it turn at the Roundabout, The Vehicle is so Straight that it looks as though didn't do the Latter.
Thought you were talking about The Galleries!
Comes in the same way as the normal 8 does.
X41 - Great Park - Regent Centre - Gosforth - Newcastle City Centre - Coast Road - Cobalt - Whitley Bay

50A - Durham - Framwellgate Moor - Chester-le-Street - Washington Galleries - Boldon - Jarrow - Tyne Tunnel - North Shields - Tynemouth - Whitley Bay

354 - Kingston Park - Newcastle Airport - Brunswick Village - Regent Centre - Gosforth - Newcastle City Centre
(01 Aug 2014, 9:29 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote X41 - Great Park - Regent Centre - Gosforth - Newcastle City Centre - Coast Road - Cobalt - Whitley Bay

50A - Durham - Framwellgate Moor - Chester-le-Street - Washington Galleries - Boldon - Jarrow - Tyne Tunnel - North Shields - Tynemouth - Whitley Bay

354 - Kingston Park - Newcastle Airport - Brunswick Village - Regent Centre - Gosforth - Newcastle City Centre

To be fair - the 1 doesn't really get used between Wrekenton, so possibly extend the 1 to Great Park?
Then the X25 could reduce to hourly, and operate via the current 1 route to Wrekenton, then via its normal route. Then on Sundays have the 34 standalone, and the 28 interworking with a 24 from Newcastle to Kibblesworth via the 29 route?
If there is going to be a commercial rival to the 37, then logically it can't go the same route (not enough money on that route, otherwise operators wouldn't operate it under contract... Rolleyes )

Anyway...

Dox Park - A19 - Barnwell Shops - Station Road - Washington Highway - Galleries.

Logic being, that the 37 rarely stops anywhere in the Herringtons and despite being not far at all from Dox Park as the crow flies, it is a nightmare to get to from Penshaw.
(01 Aug 2014, 9:29 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote X41 - Great Park - Regent Centre - Gosforth - Newcastle City Centre - Coast Road - Cobalt - Whitley Bay

Just thought I'd point out, every time I've used the 50 to the Arnison Centre, at least about 10 people combined get on and off, and I think it's a good part of the route to Durham.
GNE took on service 37 commercially before, service 37/38 Sunderland-Doxford Park-Herrington Burn then service 37 to Shiney Row and Washington, and service 38 from Herrington Burn to Houghton. but in the end it was loosing too much money so service 37 fell back in the hands of nexus (Washington-Doxford park) and service 38 went back to its originally route.

(01 Aug 2014, 10:53 pm)Marcus wrote Just thought I'd point out, every time I've used the 50 to the Arnison Centre, at least about 10 people combined get on and off, and I think it's a good part of the route to Durham.
I was trying to make as quick as Possible, might be being a bit optimistic but I reckon Durham to North Shields could be done in just under an hour if it was Limited Stopping as I have it above.
Go North East Service Suggestions
(02 Aug 2014, 2:06 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I was trying to make as quick as Possible, might be being a bit optimistic but I reckon Durham to North Shields could be done in just under an hour if it was Limited Stopping as I have it above.

So, only stops at the points you've listed?
(01 Aug 2014, 10:53 pm)Marcus wrote Just thought I'd point out, every time I've used the 50 to the Arnison Centre, at least about 10 people combined get on and off, and I think it's a good part of the route to Durham.

Thats the 50 though. Is the 50A still busy between those points on the evenings and Sundays that it runs? If this suggestion was to happen then yes, Arriva will get everybody wishing to travel on that side of Framwelgate Moor but its not as if there will not be a single Go North East bus to Arnison Centre.