You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(10 Aug 2014, 4:42 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Would that put the 265 back under Chesters control or would you 71 move to Peterlee...

I don't see the point of the 202 going to Sunderland, even on the X7 route, GNE once proposed merging the 61 and 38 round that general area but that was treat like a wet fart by people in Murton and what do you propose for services on Dene House Road as would lose there service(238)...

As for the 265/71, it could possibly work if marketed right, again a few years ago there was talk of a frequency increase to every half hour Interworking with the 13/14

It would quite a bit to the journey as it, would it work by running to Hendon then follow Stagecoach's 11 up Holmeside

Yeah under Chesters control - as you live near the route, how are passenger numbers?
Marxista Fozzski
265 is a funny old service...Sometimes it can be well used, other times it carries fresh air, decent numbers use it on the Murton-Seaham stretch, though people would prefer to get the 202 as as that takes about 15 minutes from Dalton Park to Seaham, 265 uses Station Road, I have honestly never seen anybody go to Murton from Station Road/Northlea nor going from Murton to Station Road/Northlea

202...Gets a few on because of the time difference to the 265

Both the 202 and 265 are heaving between 7am-9am and from 3pm-5pm for schools and college.

For me, I would like to see the 265 return to go back up Deneside Avenue to The Mallard instead of the as your actually having to double once you get to the Mill Inn, I would also reintroduce the 265 to Cornwall Estate, it was pulled because that section was not making money, it would give OAP's a service to Seaham. To deal with Station Road losing the 265, I would propose a new Drifter Route number 60A with buses going that way 20 mins...

As things stand the MPD is probably the right size of vehicle on the 265, but would like to see something bigger allocated one day Big Grin
(10 Aug 2014, 5:40 pm)marxistafozzski wrote 265 is a funny old service...Sometimes it can be well used, other times it carries fresh air, decent numbers use it on the Murton-Seaham stretch, though people would prefer to get the 202 as as that takes about 15 minutes from Dalton Park to Seaham, 265 uses Station Road, I have honestly never seen anybody go to Murton from Station Road/Northlea nor going from Murton to Station Road/Northlea

202...Gets a few on because of the time difference to the 265

Both the 202 and 265 are heaving between 7am-9am and from 3pm-5pm for schools and college.

For me, I would like to see the 265 return to go back up Deneside Avenue to The Mallard instead of the as your actually having to double once you get to the Mill Inn, I would also reintroduce the 265 to Cornwall Estate, it was pulled because that section was not making money, it would give OAP's a service to Seaham. To deal with Station Road losing the 265, I would propose a new Drifter Route number 60A with buses going that way 20 mins...

As things stand the MPD is probably the right size of vehicle on the 265, but would like to see something bigger allocated one day Big Grin

Cheers. The last time I saw it leaving Durham at about 2.30 it was heaving. Standing room only. Not sure if they are just using it for local journeys though.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(10 Aug 2014, 5:41 pm)Tom wrote Cheers. The last time I saw it leaving Durham at about 2.30 it was heaving. Standing room only. Not sure if they are just using it for local journeys though.

People use it between Durham and Broomside Lane and between Murton-Seaham while not getting packed carries quite a few, it also picks a few up between Hetton and Moorsley, bit there is not much in between and not many use the whole route, it can also be decently used around Murton depending on the time of the day
(16 Aug 2014, 2:19 pm)Acky81 wrote Scrap services 29 and 39 and extend the fab 56 from the city centre up to Doxford international

Would be better off Extending the 42 from Silksworth.
(16 Aug 2014, 2:19 pm)Acky81 wrote Scrap services 29 and 39 and extend the fab 56 from the city centre up to Doxford international

The 56 is long enough as it is and the reliability would go down the pan. Plus, where would the extra buses come from unless GNE drivers were willing to climb up Old Durham Road at snails pace in a B5TL?
(16 Aug 2014, 3:03 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote The 56 is long enough as it is and the reliability would go down the pan. Plus, where would the extra buses come from unless GNE drivers were willing to climb up Old Durham Road at snails pace in a B5TL?

They wouldn't have a choice if GNE opted to purchase them. They can't refuse to take a bus because it only has a 5L engine...

I do agree with your point about the 56 route being long enough though. Not only that, it's also an established route, which obviously makes enough money to justify the investment it received last year.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Go North East Service Suggestions
(16 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm)aureolin wrote They wouldn't have a choice if GNE opted to purchase them. They can't refuse to take a bus because it only has a 5L engine...

I do agree with your point about the 56 route being long enough though. Not only that, it's also an established route, which obviously makes enough money to justify the investment it received last year.

I agree, I think GNE have clearly established their most important routes, which seem to be 'city connectors', such as the 21, 56 and 20.
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Aug 2014, 8:09 pm)speedwheels22 wrote 29 being every 20 mins i never hardly see anyone on it about 3 to 4 people miss the old 26 route

It's not bad over the 39 section
Go North East Service Suggestions
(16 Aug 2014, 8:09 pm)speedwheels22 wrote 29 being every 20 mins i never hardly see anyone on it about 3 to 4 people miss the old 26 route

Wait lack of punctuation makes part of that confusing. Do you mean about 3 to 4 people using service 29 or 3 to 4 people miss the old 26 route? Sorry for being all ya know but it would help.
Site Administrator
(16 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm)marxistafozzski wrote It's not bad over the 39 section
I've seen it more and more recently in Castletown and it always seems to be alright...

Not so much at the Boldon end, but yknow.
(16 Aug 2014, 8:36 pm)Dan wrote I've seen it more and more recently in Castletown and it always seems to be alright...

Not so much at the Boldon end, but yknow.

It's odd that GNE even opt for it to stop at Boldon to replace it with the 9 to Jarrow, i still think it should go to Heworth during the day!

I have family in Castletown and they say people are happy about the 29, although they weren't when it changed!.

The 9, needs changing once again, i think it should be every 20 mins along the full route...

As for the 39... i don't think it needs changing at all
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Aug 2014, 10:04 am)Michael wrote The 9, needs changing once again, i think it should be every 20 mins along the full route...

Why?, have you been on it from Jarrow to North Shields!!
(17 Aug 2014, 10:13 am)citaro5284 wrote Why?, have you been on it from Jarrow to North Shields!!

Few times, the times iv'e being on its being alright

Citaro, do u think it requires to be every 15 mins between Sunderland and Jarrow?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Aug 2014, 10:13 am)citaro5284 wrote Why?, have you been on it from Jarrow to North Shields!!
I have, and I tend to be by myself on that one.

Aye it's poor at that end. Never any fare paying passengers.
(17 Aug 2014, 10:31 am)Tom wrote Aye it's poor at that end. Never any fare paying passengers.
There's never any passengers full stop a lot of the time. I can't understand it to be honest, as it's the quickest option for anyone living around Sunderland or Shields way. Ferry takes longer the time you're waiting for it.
(17 Aug 2014, 10:38 am)aureolin wrote There's never any passengers full stop a lot of the time. I can't understand it to be honest, as it's the quickest option for anyone living around Sunderland or Shields way. Ferry takes longer the time you're waiting for it.

There is never many passengers using it through the tunnel, but quite a few people use it along Howdon Road. It's secured by Nexus anyway.
Site Administrator
(17 Aug 2014, 10:40 am)Tom wrote There is never many passengers using it through the tunnel, but quite a few people use it along Howdon Road. It's secured by Nexus anyway.

Which says a lot to me... It's not good enough to be commercially operated (i.e. it carries so few passengers that it makes a loss).
(17 Aug 2014, 11:09 am)Dan wrote Which says a lot to me... It's not good enough to be commercially operated (i.e. it carries so few passengers that it makes a loss).

As I've got nowt better to do, I'm going to jump on a Coaster, then get the 9 to Jarrow to see how it does.
(17 Aug 2014, 11:10 am)Tom wrote As I've got nowt better to do, I'm going to jump on a Coaster, then get the 9 to Jarrow to see how it does.

I think you will find that there are few or no customers on the 9 if you try it today but that is true of many routes on a Sunday. When I see the 9 arriving in to Jarrow from North Shields weekday day times it is often half full which is not bad. Departing North Shields there are customers making short journeys from the town centre to the area by the Royal Quays as well which must help in justifying the half hour frequency.
(17 Aug 2014, 11:56 am)Tom wrote One Nexus Conc and a Nexus CAT departing North Shields.

Curious to see what loads are like next weekend - Bank Holiday and nice weather (possibly).

Went through the tunnel on it for the first time earlier this year (on a Bank Hol Sunday).
Decent loads between Park Lane and Jarrow - which should have ensured a healthy profit and then a reasonable load under the river to the other side - although it did only stop once in the Percy Main/Meadow Well area.

Not many got on at North Shields, although by this point it was circa 20mins late and most people were heading to the coast at that time of the day.

Certainly a route of two halves and the route it takes between Howdon and North Shields doesn't lend itself to local runs - particularly when other services go into the estates.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16 Aug 2014, 2:43 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Would be better off Extending the 42 from Silksworth.

To where Doxford or Newcastle
(16 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm)marxistafozzski wrote It's not bad over the 39 section

The 29 is actually quite good on the South Sunderland section. I do think the 56 would do well as it would support people living on Tyneside getting to Doxford international. Is the 39 a northern or simplicity route now cos I still don't understand why go north east bothered painting the buses purple
(17 Aug 2014, 5:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote to Doxford from Silksworth

The old 133 used to extend to Doxford