You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
3814, 3828 and 3829 are still in service.
4853 and 4855 also remain in service (as already known)
The destinations for School services have finally been updated.
(08 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm)Robert wrote 3814, 3828 and 3829 are still in service.
4853 and 4855 also remain in service (as already known)
The destinations for School services have finally been updated.

The Park View scholars seem to have changed, so on a morning they all have the numbers then the title, 'Park View', having all commenced from various destinations. On an evening, they all say, for example, 886 'Lumley' or 888 'Bournmoor'. Looks quite nice in my opinion.

Andreos, the FPF must have finally got their point across with the 885! Wink
(08 Sep 2014, 3:16 pm)Marcus wrote The Park View scholars seem to have changed, so on a morning they all have the numbers then the title, 'Park View', having all commenced from various destinations. On an evening, they all say, for example, 886 'Lumley' or 888 'Bournmoor'. Looks quite nice in my opinion.

You mean Fencehouses isn't just a via point anymore?
Are you trying to say, that there is a bus that displays 'Fencehouses' as a destination?!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(08 Sep 2014, 3:16 pm)Marcus wrote The Park View scholars seem to have changed, so on a morning they all have the numbers then the title, 'Park View', having all commenced from various destinations. On an evening, they all say, for example, 886 'Lumley' or 888 'Bournmoor'. Looks quite nice in my opinion.

On a morning the school buses have a layout like this:
Lanchester (service number)
St Bedes

And on an evening they say the service number then their destination. But following the service changes the destinations hadn't been updated. This was evident with my usual example with the 825 extending to Flint Hill from Stanley. Tonight was the first time we had a bus (3833) that had 'Flint Hill'. It hadn't been updated when we had the same bus on Wednesday so ill assume that it had been updated over the weekend.
(08 Sep 2014, 3:10 pm)Marcus wrote NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

4852 ia a canny machine now i know how Waylon Smithers felt in that scene in the Simpsons episode Marge Gets A Job where he just finished scrubbing the toilet then Homer has to pee and Waylon Smithers shouts dead loud "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(08 Sep 2014, 3:25 pm)Marcus wrote Indeed.

The FPF would have organised a welcoming party if we knew!
Lolyne 3861 is currently VOR awaiting a new engine to be fitted. It broke down on Friday and the driver was told that the bus had 'had it' but appeared out in service the next day (Saturday) on X70/X71s. However, when departing Newcastle somebody saw the bus and knew what was wrong with it so called up what i could only assume as Stanley depot and demanded that the bus was to be taken off the road. It was straight away booked in for an engine refit.
(08 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm)citaro5284 wrote There is water in the oil.

The driver mentioned it smoking at the back and a couple of alarms started to go off (the oil being one of them) and then started smoking at the rear end quite badly. It was then towed back to Riverside apparently.
Had a note today that school service 827 from harton technology college is carrying 100+ students when the vehicle can only hold 85 and kingsley service 826 is only carrying around 65
Go North East - Latest
(09 Sep 2014, 3:03 pm)Andy wrote Had a note today that school service 827 from harton technology college is carrying 100+ students when the vehicle can only hold 85 and kingsley service 826 is only carrying around 65

Happens with my school a lot - one bus breaks down then another gets loaded with those kids. Every seat gets filled, no matter what. And around 20+ standing, isn't unusual in those cases.
(09 Sep 2014, 3:03 pm)Andy wrote Had a note today that school service 827 from harton technology college is carrying 100+ students when the vehicle can only hold 85 and kingsley service 826 is only carrying around 65

I am sure the Nationals that used to be on our scholars way back when, were over capacity too. In fact, they will have been.
It probably explains why some kids have a face, moulded into the shape of a windscreen.

Kids would have to get off, to let people from the back off.
It was always touch and go whether they would manage to get back on for the remainder of the journey.
(09 Sep 2014, 8:07 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I am sure the Nationals that used to be on our scholars way back when, were over capacity too. In fact, they will have been.
It probably explains why some kids have a face, moulded into the shape of a windscreen.

Yep, when I were a lad (Hovis music) we had Wear Buses Lynxes on the morning run and metrobuses on the evening
(09 Sep 2014, 10:37 pm)gtom wrote Yep, when I were a lad (Hovis music) we had Wear Buses Lynxes on the morning run and metrobuses on the evening

Uggghhh. Hated them things.

Mind, that cloth cap of yours is at a lovely, jaunty angle Wink
Site Administrator
Chester-le-Street's Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3868 (W178 SCU) is currently undergoing repaint into corporate livery at Saltmeadows.
(10 Sep 2014, 3:41 pm)Dan wrote Chester-le-Street's Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3868 (W178 SCU) is currently undergoing repaint into corporate livery at Saltmeadows.

I can't help but think how much money has been wasted on pointless re-paints like the one above and all the other vehicles which are due to be withdrawn in h next year? Yes I understand all of Dan's points about re-sale value but surely there is better things to do than give another coat of red paint to buses which are only in the company for the short term?

I can't imagine the independents/scrap man being too put off by some fading red paint and Northern vinyls when buying a 2nd hand bus. None of the red London buses were repainted and some of the MPD's were not repainted before being sold either.

A total waste of money(especially if any go to scrap) repainting buses which are 14 years old and are planned to be withdrawn from service in the next year.
Site Administrator
(10 Sep 2014, 4:15 pm)Bus_User wrote I can't help but think how much money has been wasted on pointless re-paints like the one above and all the other vehicles which are due to be withdrawn in h next year? Yes I understand all of Dan's points about re-sale value but surely there is better things to do than give another coat of red paint to buses which are only in the company for the short term?

I can't imagine the independents/scrap man being too put off by some fading red paint and Northern vinyls when buying a 2nd hand bus. None of the red London buses were repainted and some of the MPD's were not repainted before being sold either.

A total waste of money(especially if any go to scrap) repainting buses which are 14 years old and are planned to be withdrawn from service in the next year.

It certainly suggests that the company is expecting to sell the vehicles on to another operator, rather than sell them for scrap.

It's not uncommon of other operators to repaint the buses immediately before sale or straight after withdrawal, but Go North East likes to keep its fleet looking smart and presentable (which I'd argue could not be said for Arriva North East, who - for now - still have vehicles in the fleet which haven't been repainted since new). Presentation is key, and regular repaints are critical to ensure a good presentation of the fleet. Single colour livery repaints also make this operation a lot more cost effective, and of course, Go North East will bulk buy red paint to allow for further cost savings.

Those of you who follow my Flickr photostream and read my captions will know I am a huge advocate of the repainting of vehicles to make them look smarter. Indeed, a vehicle which is freshly repainted, almost looks brand new (and it goes without saying that some customers will notice this).

Let's not forget that Go North East wishes to remove the "Northern" name from the fleet. The Dennis Trident vehicles were merely repainted this summer because they're usually surplus to requirements with the absence of scholar services. Further Volvo B10BLEs, DAF SB120s and Volvo B7TLs will receive this treatment over the coming months.
(10 Sep 2014, 4:20 pm)Racer_Experience wrote http://www.simplygo.com/news/greener-cle...north-east

Why, they already euro 5 engines, these could of being used else where although, the current engines from the FAB 56/Cobalt Clipper will be moved down to other double/single deckers.

Work to fit the equipment will start in March 2015.

Also
Hard-pressed Tyne Valley rail passengers from Hexham and Corbridge are being urged to beat this week’s rail fares increases by switching to our Tynedalexpress service.

http://www.simplygo.com/news/buses-beat-...ley-trains
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(10 Sep 2014, 4:28 pm)Michael wrote Why, they already euro 5 engines, these could of being used else where although, the current engines from the FAB 56/Cobalt Clipper will be moved down to other double/single deckers

As someone who has very little knowledge in this area (our Corbridge resident may have a better idea), I think the current engines will remain in place and the appropriate systems brought in place with the existing engines?

The Fab56 and Cobalt Clipper operates a rather high total mileage compared to other routes; as such, a higher fuel efficiency will work very well to deliver cost savings to the company. In addition, local councils will be in favour of those services with a higher frequency receiving these modifications, as exhaust emissions are reduced.

(10 Sep 2014, 4:28 pm)Michael wrote Also
Hard-pressed Tyne Valley rail passengers from Hexham and Corbridge are being urged to beat this week’s rail fares increases by switching to our Tynedalexpress service.

http://www.simplygo.com/news/buses-beat-...ley-trains

Good to see promotion of the Tynedalexpress. I raised similar points here, in the Northern Rail thread.
(10 Sep 2014, 4:23 pm)Dan wrote It certainly suggests that the company is expecting to sell the vehicles on to another operator, rather than sell them for scrap.

It's not uncommon of other operators to repaint the buses immediately before sale or straight after withdrawal, but Go North East likes to keep its fleet looking smart and presentable (which I'd argue could not be said for Arriva North East, who - for now - still have vehicles in the fleet which haven't been repainted since new). Presentation is key, and regular repaints are critical to ensure a good presentation of the fleet. Single colour livery repaints also make this operation a lot more cost effective, and of course, Go North East will bulk buy red paint to allow for further cost savings.

Those of you who follow my Flickr photostream and read my captions will know I am a huge advocate of the repainting of vehicles to make them look smarter. Indeed, a vehicle which is freshly repainted, almost looks brand new (and it goes without saying that some customers will notice this).

Let's not forget that Go North East wishes to remove the "Northern" name from the fleet. The Dennis Trident vehicles were merely repainted this summer because they're usually surplus to requirements with the absence of scholar services. Further Volvo B10BLEs, DAF SB120s and Volvo B7TLs will receive this treatment over the coming months.

So basically everything what was repainted in 2011 will get done this year?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(10 Sep 2014, 4:33 pm)Dan wrote As someone who has very little knowledge in this area (our Corbridge resident may have a better idea), I think the current engines will remain in place and the appropriate systems brought in place with the existing engines?

The Fab56 and Cobalt Clipper operates a rather high total mileage compared to other routes; as such, a higher fuel efficiency will work very well to deliver cost savings to the company. In addition, local councils will be in favour of those services with a higher frequency receiving these modifications, as exhaust emissions are reduced.

Oh right, was gonna say, so its just like the ones they made on the prince bishops?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(10 Sep 2014, 4:33 pm)Michael wrote So basically everything what was repainted in 2011 will get done this year?

There are currently 120 vehicles which remain branded "Northern", and this will continue to decrease during this and the next financial year.

As you can imagine; the priority is to repaint branded vehicles which may be coming up for replacement within this financial year, and as such, the process will be rather long-winded.

I can't imagine that the dual-door East Lancs Vyking bodied Volvo B7TLs will be repainted this or next year, though I do see them being repainted in 2016. This of course ties in with the company giving them their 'final repaint', upping the book value of the vehicle ahead of its sale. Whether the Northern vinyls are removed prior to this repaint or not, I do not know...

That said, if Quality Contracts come into fruition, none of this will apply...

(10 Sep 2014, 4:36 pm)Michael wrote Oh right, was gonna say, so its just like the ones they made on the prince bishops?

Similar - I believe they're slightly different modifications, though ultimately make the fleet 'greener'.
(10 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm)Dan wrote There are currently 120 vehicles which remain branded "Northern".

As you can imagine; the priority is to repaint branded vehicles which may be coming up for replacement within this financial year, and as such, the process will be rather long-winded.

I can't imagine that the dual-door East Lancs Vyking bodied Volvo B7TLs will be repainted this or next year, though I do see them being repainted in 2016. This of course ties in with the company giving them their 'final repaint', upping the book value of the vehicle ahead of its sale.

Hopefully we see the 2nd set of branded vehicles in soon... (1st of cause was the older Lime buses)

They should just go without a repaint..who would want them ;P
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.