You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2014

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(10 Sep 2014, 6:51 pm)Dan wrote I certainly do - and I can't imagine standing for the Berwick - Alnwick stretch would be particularly pleasant!
However the coaches wouldn't allow for any standees, I'd prefer to stand than not get there at all!
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(10 Sep 2014, 8:41 pm)mb134 wrote However the coaches wouldn't allow for any standees, I'd prefer to stand than not get there at all!
The difference is 11 seated passengers between the OmniCitys (40) and Primas (51), if I am correct...

A coach may seat 50 passengers on the X15, but that's 10 passengers standing under OmniCity operation.
(10 Sep 2014, 8:41 pm)mb134 wrote However the coaches wouldn't allow for any standees, I'd prefer to stand than not get there at all!

Actually I think ours do, albeit a limited number (6 rings a bell?) - but yes I am sure they will be allocated to specific boards where the passenger numbers justify it, with deckers on the busier journeys.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(10 Sep 2014, 9:00 pm)tyresmoke wrote Actually I think ours do, albeit a limited number (6 rings a bell?) - but yes I am sure they will be allocated to specific boards where the passenger numbers justify it, with deckers on the busier journeys.

I think it was 8 standees' although I may be wrong.
(10 Sep 2014, 9:00 pm)tyresmoke wrote Actually I think ours do, albeit a limited number (6 rings a bell?) - but yes I am sure they will be allocated to specific boards where the passenger numbers justify it, with deckers on the busier journeys.
Ah ok, thought I saw somewhere that no standees were allowed, must be imaging things Smile however as you've said, I don't think that they would allocate them to runs that will be packed, it is Arriva North East though...
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(10 Sep 2014, 9:19 pm)mb134 wrote Ah ok, thought I saw somewhere that no standees were allowed, must be imaging things Smile however as you've said, I don't think that they would allocate them to runs that will be packed, it is Arriva North East though...
I may be wrong, but I think with a service like the X15, it'd be very difficult to monitor passenger trends.

If it's raining, chances are that you're not going to find families going for a day trip out to Berwick, and a bus smaller than an OmniCity could be justified.

However, if it's very hot, coaches or double deckers may be the only suitable option with regards to loadings, regardless of whether it's departing at 9am, 11am, or 1pm...
(10 Sep 2014, 9:22 pm)Dan wrote I may be wrong, but I think with a service like the X15, it'd be very difficult to monitor passenger trends.

If it's raining, chances are that you're not going to find families going for a day trip out to Berwick, and a bus smaller than an OmniCity could be justified.

However, if it's very hot, coaches or double deckers may be the only suitable option with regards to loadings, regardless of whether it's departing at 9am, 11am, or 1pm...

Think the worst of the problems loadings wise will be on the X18s which of course will be solid double deck allocation.
There is a rumour of Greenline gaining 5 new coaches soon, if so this would free up 5 of the older Van Hool coaches - would be interesting to see whether we could gain these and revert back to plan A ... Pure speculation on my part though!

(10 Sep 2014, 11:18 am)Kuyoyo wrote Redcar depot now have 1562 (NK14 GFA) for type training and Next Stop testing - the later of which it is performing today along the X4/4 route.

And here it is before heading for Whitby then back to Saltburn then to Lingdale then back to Skelton and on to Skelton ASDA - I'm led to believe a similar run is planned tomorrow with one of Stockton's examples along the 5/5A route

.jpg ANE-1562.JPG

And, with as ever thanks to Richard Smiles, full Streetlite registration details plus the official E400 fleet number arrangement

Wright Streetlite
Redcar
1560 NK14GEU
1561 NK14GEY
1562 NK14GFA
1563 NK14GFE
1564 NK14GFG
1565 NK64EFB
1566 NK64EFC
1567 NK64EFD
1568 NK64EFE
1569 NK64EFF
1570 NK64EFG
1571 NK64EFH
1572 NK64EFJ
1573 NK64EFL
Durham
1574 NK64EEJ
1575 NK64EEM
1576 NK64EEN
1577 NK64EEO
1578 NK64EEP
Ashington
1579 NK64EEA
1580 NK64EEB
1581 NK64EEH
Jesmond
1582 NK64EEV
1583 NK64EEW
1584 NK64EEX
1585 NK64EEY
1586 NK64EEZ
1587 NK64EFA
1588 NK64EEF
1589 NK64EEG

Aleander Dennis Enviro400
Ashington
7529 NK64EFM
7530 NK64EER
7531 NK64EES
7532 NK64EET
7533 NK64EEU
Site Administrator
(10 Sep 2014, 9:53 pm)Kuyoyo wrote And, with as ever thanks to Richard Smiles, full Streetlite registration details plus the official E400 fleet number arrangement

Fleet list updated with all registrations minus Darlington's five.
7491 returned to Ashington on Wednesday.

Prestiges 4002/70 have been confirmed as departing from Redcar yesterday while 4003 has been collected today.
Been told the new E400s are out on X18 today - go get em!

'Max' X10/X11 yesterday included 2 Quorum single deckers, a Pulsar, two Hybrids and 7481! And the Max I was on when it got to Blyth went onto 308s.

7491 on X14, at least one Spectra on 20/X20.
(12 Sep 2014, 4:56 pm)Roland Pratt wrote 'Max' X10/X11 yesterday included 2 Quorum single deckers, a Pulsar, two Hybrids and 7481! And the Max I was on when it got to Blyth went onto 308s.

7491 on X14, at least one Spectra on 20/X20.

The other Spectra was on the 35
(12 Sep 2014, 10:48 am)tyresmoke wrote Been told the new E400s are out on X18 today - go get em!

7529/30/32 were on the X18. 7531/33 on the X21/22
2830 was attacked by mindless scumbags last night, three offside windows were put out while on the 4. Thankfully no injuries to passengers or driver.
(13 Sep 2014, 9:20 am)MrPottski wrote 2830 was attacked by mindless scumbags last night, three offside windows were put out while on the 4. Thankfully no injuries to passengers or driver.

1733 is off the roads because of a broken axle
Site Administrator
(13 Sep 2014, 6:15 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote ANE should have their GBF stripped for the 308  It's a disgrace!

Guessing you saw a few off-route today?
I didn't see any myself, but saw the MAXs on walkabout...
The MAX E400s entering service might have allowed this to move to its home depot - 1581 was to be found parked in the very far corner of Ashington Depot this afternoon

.jpg ANE-1581.JPG
Site Administrator
Stockton's Streetlites for service 5 have now been branded as "Sapphire"; as such, I have updated NEB's fleet list to reflect this. See here.

As Ashington's ADL Enviro400s have now entered service on service X18 (and the rest), I've updated NEB's fleet list to reflect this. See here. When they gain branding, I will update them again...
So today's the day that Stockton launch their Streetlites with an event in Middlesbrough town centre (outside BHS) between 1200-1330 Smile I'll be there along with other Sapphire drivers and managers too, plus of course one of our new Streetlites!
They go into service tomorrow...

How often do Arriva wash their buses, just today while I was out a few of the Sapphire E400's looked dirty, especially the rear, is it just a case that they aren't washed often enough, or is there a quality issue with the Bus Wash?
(15 Sep 2014, 7:48 am)tyresmoke wrote So today's the day that Stockton launch their Streetlites with an event in Middlesbrough town centre (outside BHS) between 1200-1330 Smile I'll be there along with other Sapphire drivers and managers too, plus of course one of our new Streetlites!
They go into service tomorrow...

1555 was the vehicle on display - seen leaving Newport Road

.jpg ANE-1555a.JPG
(15 Sep 2014, 6:19 pm)mb134 wrote How often do Arriva wash their buses, just today while I was out a few of the Sapphire E400's looked dirty, especially the rear, is it just a case that they aren't washed often enough, or is there a quality issue with the Bus Wash?

They get washed every evening, so it could be an issue with the bus wash... All of our vehicles will be undergoing a deep clean inside over the next few weeks too, as cleaning contracts are due to change over to a new provider.

(15 Sep 2014, 6:44 pm)tyresmoke wrote They get washed every evening, so it could be an issue with the bus wash... All of our vehicles will be undergoing a deep clean inside over the next few weeks too, as cleaning contracts are due to change over to a new provider.

Sounds good, will this be a once off deep clean, or will it happen every few weeks or so? 
(15 Sep 2014, 7:00 pm)mb134 wrote Sounds good, will this be a once off deep clean, or will it happen every few weeks or so? 

It's a one off to allow the new provider to start with a "clean slate" so to speak. Hopefully the interior cleaning will be of a higher standard from now on though. I think (could be wrong!) that it is Mitie taking over (from Carlisle).

(15 Sep 2014, 7:18 pm)tyresmoke wrote It's a one off to allow the new provider to start with a "clean slate" so to speak. Hopefully the interior cleaning will be of a higher standard from now on though. I think (could be wrong!) that it is Mitie taking over (from Carlisle).

All sounds good then Big Grin Hopefully only the one deep clean will be needed then, if they keep on top of things ...
(Also, any reason why this isn't an important thread anymore?)