You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
Couple of updates from the Teesside end...

4512 has arrived at Redcar and was in service on 22/64 today, so that joins 4504, 4507, 4510 and 4515 at Redcar. 
Former Whitby Park & Ride 2827 was on 22/64 today also, in plain white. 2828 was reported on Whitby towns yesterday too.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Why move 5 Solos Durham to Darlington and then 7 from Darlington to Stockton?.Also what will these displace from Stockton?
(05 Nov 2014, 8:05 pm)9920up wrote Why move 5 Solos Durham to Darlington and then 7 from Darlington to Stockton?.Also what will these displace from Stockton?

The Durham P&R ones have a lower seating capacity (26 seats v 31 seats on the 08 plates) which I believe is the reasoning behind it.
Mini Darts will be going, the rest will probably replace odd Cadets before the rest get cascaded away next year.

Yeah, I thought the Solos would have been repainted first. Also Sapphire NL63VPU (I think) was on 11 this afternoon.
(05 Nov 2014, 11:41 pm)John_R wrote Yeah, I thought the Solos would have been repainted first. Also Sapphire NL63VPU (I think) was on 11 this afternoon.

if it was it has been to Stockton for test meanwhile a solo of some variety has been on the 7s all day 
Site Administrator
Are the screens on the new eco green liveried Streetlites not being used? On 1574 at the moment (with me being the only passenger), and the screen is blank. No Next Stop Announcements or CCTV being displayed as I'd have expected.

Can't say I can notice a difference between the Micro Hybrid and normal Streetlite Max either.
(06 Nov 2014, 9:26 am)Dan wrote Can't say I can notice a difference between the Micro Hybrid and normal Streetlite Max either.

I would be very interested to learn precisely what differences there are . . .
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(06 Nov 2014, 11:18 am)G-CPTN wrote I would be very interested to learn precisely what differences there are . . .
I think the only differences are to do with the brakes and how this re-powers something? You can tell I've got a brain for engineering by this post, mind! Wink

Certainly wasn't anything noticeable in terms of ride quality though.
Are the screens on the new eco green liveried Streetlites not being used? On 1574 at the moment (with me being the only passenger), and the screen is blank. No Next Stop Announcements or CCTV being displayed as I'd have expected.
Nothing was being displayed on the screen on the one I rode last week.
From Arriva's Facebook:

UPDATE: Service X66 for the next month that some vehicles on service X66 may not be wheelchair accessible.

This is due to vehicles being away for MAX refurbishment

Apologies in advance

The people who do the Arriva Facebook seem to have terrible grammar.
(06 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote OUCH! 

What do you think the solution would be Davey?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(06 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote OUCH! 

Makes you wonder whether the bus allocated was a Hybrid or a normal diesel bus, eh, Davey?!
(05 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm)tyresmoke wrote The Durham P&R ones have a lower seating capacity (26 seats v 31 seats on the 08 plates) which I believe is the reasoning behind it.
Mini Darts will be going, the rest will probably replace odd Cadets before the rest get cascaded away next year.
(06 Nov 2014, 5:04 pm)Jimmi wrote From Arriva's Facebook:

UPDATE: Service X66 for the next month that some vehicles on service X66 may not be wheelchair accessible.

This is due to vehicles being away for MAX refurbishment

Apologies in advance

The people who do the Arriva Facebook seem to have terrible grammar.

There's nothing you couldn't get a wheelchair on is there?
(05 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm)tyresmoke wrote The Durham P&R ones have a lower seating capacity (26 seats v 31 seats on the 08 plates) which I believe is the reasoning behind it.

Cascaded away? They have to be gone next year don't they?! Unless they modify them.
(06 Nov 2014, 5:51 pm)Cock Robin wrote There's nothing you couldn't get a wheelchair on is there?

4001 & 4007 don't have ramps, not sure why they chose those two, MOT dates possibly.

(06 Nov 2014, 5:53 pm)Cock Robin wrote Cascaded away? They have to be gone next year don't they?! Unless they modify them.

My understanding is that there is another division requiring low value stock to justify new purchases, so they're going to swap some vehicles with us. Likely to be the Cadets and possibly the V-DFT Volvo B10BLE's (those aren't DDA either so have to go next year unless they get modified). I believe the Cadets would be too expensive to do based on their book value.

A few more updates from the last few days....

Former Stockton based (ex Go North East) DAF Prestiges 4001 and 4007 are now in use at Darlington depot, covering temporarily for Scania Omnicities away for refurbishment (more on those below...), whilst 4038 is now parked up once again at Stockton, with 4039 remaining in service for now.

Solo's 2805 and 2808 have arrived at Darlington having been replaced at Durham by their new Streetlites.
Park & Ride Solo's 2852-61 are now withdrawn from Durham and are in the process of being moved to Thorntons, Ashington for repaint and preparation for transfer to Darlington.

Pulsar's 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428, 1498, 1506, 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511 are now fitted with internal screens ready for installation of next stop announcements, for use on services 1/1B and 5/5A. Meanwhile Scania Omnicities 4643, 4644, 4645, 4648, 4649, 4650, 4651, 4654, 4655, 4657 are now at Bus & Coach World in Blackburn for refurbishment for MAX services X26/X27 & X66. 4656 remains in service at Darlington (was on X66 today).

Redcar have withdrawn Darts 211 and 1638 following the end of the Whitby Park & Ride contract.

All 6 Volvo B9TL Gemini's for Whitby are under preparation at Thornton's in Ashington, and their registrations are now confirmed...
7401 NK64FSF
7402 NK64FSG
7403 NK64FSJ
7404 NK64FSL
7405 NK64FSN
7406 NK64FSO

EDIT: Meant to mention that I've updated the "Frequent Odd Workings" thread with new info for Darlington & Jesmond depots, which now sees an Ecocity go to Minors Crescent and a mini Dart in Peterlee (only for a few weeks), whilst Jesmond now operate an X20 from Ashington to Newcastle with a Nexus Solo, in place of the 496 service which has transferred to Ashington in return.

I can still see the 57 reg lowlanders joining 7401 - 7406 during the summer. On the note of 6 joining, I remember originally that they were listed on the orders for the X18. The only thing that I can think off is that they would be ordered on the basis of the X18 still continuing to Berwick every 2 hours however; due to the changes that will happen next Sunday, as much as it would be desired, it would be pointless ordering them for the X18 if for most of the time, they won't be pushed and used to their full potential. I also remember people stating that the X93 wouldn't justify new vehicles due to the winter but that must've also changed.
They weren't ordered for the X18 as they're not brand new, they're dealer stock and have been refurbished before being registered (having never been used). They were bought specifically for the X93 as we needed a double deck vehicle capable of handling the hills, and I pushed for Volvo B9TL's to be trialled, and we managed to find some hanging around in Volvo's stock.
The summer extras are likely to use existing Max double deck vehicles, more than likely from the X12/X2 as the loadings are lower in the summer whilst the university students are away.

(06 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm)tyresmoke wrote They weren't ordered for the X18 as they're not brand new, they're dealer stock and have been refurbished before being registered (having never been used). They were bought specifically for the X93 as we needed a double deck vehicle capable of handling the hills, and I pushed for Volvo B9TL's to be trialled, and we managed to find some hanging around in Volvo's stock.
The summer extras are likely to use existing Max double deck vehicles, more than likely from the X12/X2 as the loadings are lower in the summer whilst the university students are away.

So have some B9TL's actually been bought before they were trialled and by mind Scott you have some clout at Arriva  Tongue
Still not convinced this extra X1, between Durham and Boro, will look like it's solving a problem on paper. Past three nights the 1700 has turned into the Durham bus station a good 7-10 mins late. As a result, the decker allocation (1700) has went out with a full load, and the Pulsar at 1715 has went out with 2 or 3 passengers on it. I know by the time I got off it last night, the decker was still packed both floors, and the Pulsar directly behind it didn't have a single passenger as it passed me. It's obviously not telling the full story though!
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(06 Nov 2014, 8:59 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I can still see the 57 reg lowlanders joining 7401 - 7406 during the summer. On the note of 6 joining, I remember originally that they were listed on the orders for the X18. The only thing that I can think off is that they would be ordered on the basis of the X18 still continuing to Berwick every 2 hours however; due to the changes that will happen next Sunday, as much as it would be desired, it would be pointless ordering them for the X18 if for most of the time, they won't be pushed and used to their full potential. I also remember people stating that the X93 wouldn't justify new vehicles due to the winter but that must've also changed.

Yeah, I can remember the conversation well.

At the time, it was stated that due to low numbers and lack of revenue in the winter months, new vehicles wouldn't be bought for the service and it would be cascades from elsewhere.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'