You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
I would say thay on a daily basis though due to all year around use between Newcastle and Alnwick and also the fact that people aren't just making one off trips thag the X18 is more deserving of B9TL's. If an E400 broke down on the X93, it would just be a typical bucket and spade user who would just laugh it off but if a day in and day out commutter broke down on an E400 on the X18, they'd either be very annoyed or if good enough, impress a civil servant in Blyth or Alnwick so that they no longer use the bus and Arriva looses custom.
(07 Nov 2014, 4:07 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I would say thay on a daily basis though due to all year around use between Newcastle and Alnwick and also the fact that people aren't just making one off trips thag the X18 is more deserving of B9TL's. If an E400 broke down on the X93, it would just be a typical bucket and spade user who would just laugh it off but if a day in and day out commutter broke down on an E400 on the X18, they'd either be very annoyed or if good enough, impress a civil servant in Blyth or Alnwick so that they no longer use the bus and Arriva looses custom.

I agree with you! The X18 is a shocking service.
The 1403 service the other day didn't arrive until 1429, and it didn't leave until 1440! A 37 minute delay! Surely something needs to be done, as it is all of the time. The Omnicity on the X15 was on time though, and the X14 was 8 minutes late departing. 

So basically, they departed like this:
X14: 1426 (due 1418)
X15: 1433 (due 1433)
X18: 1440 (due 1403)
(07 Nov 2014, 4:13 pm)Tom wrote I agree with you! The X18 is a shocking service.
The 1403 service the other day didn't arrive until 1429, and it didn't leave until 1340!

It did not travel back in time did it Tom?
(07 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm)citaro5284 wrote It did not travel back in time did it Tom?

Haha no - should say 1440. Tongue
If Arriva don't up their game, passengers could well end up hearing this in Northumberland:

"All stations call, contact control please"
(07 Nov 2014, 4:36 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote If Arriva don't up their game, passengers could well end up hearing this in Northumberland:

"All stations call, contact control please"

In all seriousness though, it is a complete and utter joke how a service can be nearly 40 minutes late and they don't do anything about it! 
(01 Nov 2014, 5:56 pm)mb134 wrote Got 1750 on the 2 today, thought it was never going to make it up the hill out of Morpeth... 
Also when reversing out of the bus station, it looked like the driver was having a problem with the gears, we went forwards first and then looked like he was quite reluctant to give it another go, as if it hadn't gone into reverse we would have gone into the barriers.
Surely it cant have much longer left? 
(Side note- Those Seats!!!!)

(07 Nov 2014, 5:44 pm)Coppercap40 wrote 1214 still lingering at Jesmond this afternoon

wheres 1207 gone then
In regards to the X93, I reckon the growth seen over the past 2 summers has helped to push the case for investment. The Middlesbrough-Whitby half is the quieter of the two, amazingly, with heavy usage between Scarborough and Whitby... indeed we have regularly had to dupe one of the morning services from Scarborough to Whitby!

I think the vehicle situation also has helped, after the disaster of summer 2013 with the Enviro 400s, we needed to find a permanent solution and there aren't many available. The VDL Gemini trialled last winter was a success but ultimately I think the MAX scheme in Northumberland stopped that happening, so the Volvo B7TL's cascaded from London were implemented as a short term solution. They have steadied the ship somewhat over the summer, but they were never intended to be a long term solution and something needed to be found to plug the gap. Indeed there was a plan to cascade some Volvo B9TL's from Yorkshire next year, however they have managed to find these 6 in dealer stock so that the X93 will benefit from "new" vehicles.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

I don't know about the Cummins 6.7 unit. How comes it's pretty reliable on the DB300 chassis yet it's less so on the E400 chassis? I'm not wholly against any bus but I have no faith with Cummins units. Look at the Streetlites for example (particularly the Drifter). With Volvo, Merc and Scania units (even the smaller units), you get a real kick of pure engine power but all you get on a Cummins unit is the sound of the turbo screaming away and the engine not actually working as hard. When the Turbo goes on Cummins unit, then the engines do too.
I was the only fare paying passenger on the 6 to durham this morning.About 16 people used bus passes from spenny.This got me wondering how arriva gain financially.Do they get a fixed payment from DCC every time a bus pass is used?I really would like to know how this system works....
Wow! Thanks for that in depth reply G-CPTN....  I have ascertained at least Arriva would receive the average fare for each non paying passenger. I didn't realize the complexity of it all.
(06 Nov 2014, 8:32 pm)tyresmoke wrote A few more updates from the last few days....

Former Stockton based (ex Go North East) DAF Prestiges 4001 and 4007 are now in use at Darlington depot, covering temporarily for Scania Omnicities away for refurbishment (more on those below...), whilst 4038 is now parked up once again at Stockton, with 4039 remaining in service for now.

Solo's 2805 and 2808 have arrived at Darlington having been replaced at Durham by their new Streetlites.
Park & Ride Solo's 2852-61 are now withdrawn from Durham and are in the process of being moved to Thorntons, Ashington for repaint and preparation for transfer to Darlington.

Pulsar's 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428, 1498, 1506, 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511 are now fitted with internal screens ready for installation of next stop announcements, for use on services 1/1B and 5/5A. Meanwhile Scania Omnicities 4643, 4644, 4645, 4648, 4649, 4650, 4651, 4654, 4655, 4657 are now at Bus & Coach World in Blackburn for refurbishment for MAX services X26/X27 & X66. 4656 remains in service at Darlington (was on X66 today).

Redcar have withdrawn Darts 211 and 1638 following the end of the Whitby Park & Ride contract.

All 6 Volvo B9TL Gemini's for Whitby are under preparation at Thornton's in Ashington, and their registrations are now confirmed...
7401 NK64FSF
7402 NK64FSG
7403 NK64FSJ
7404 NK64FSL
7405 NK64FSN
7406 NK64FSO

EDIT: Meant to mention that I've updated the "Frequent Odd Workings" thread with new info for Darlington & Jesmond depots, which now sees an Ecocity go to Minors Crescent and a mini Dart in Peterlee (only for a few weeks), whilst Jesmond now operate an X20 from Ashington to Newcastle with a Nexus Solo, in place of the 496 service which has transferred to Ashington in return.

4643 was on 24s yesterday.
(05 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm)tyresmoke wrote The Durham P&R ones have a lower seating capacity (26 seats v 31 seats on the 08 plates) which I believe is the reasoning behind it.
Mini Darts will be going, the rest will probably replace odd Cadets before the rest get cascaded away next year.

One will replace 4039 I would have thought?
Site Administrator
(08 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm)jaimz13 wrote When did Jesmond take over X20 they do hole timetable or just one

See this post - Jesmond only operates the X20 service departing Ashington at 0708, arriving Haymarket 0748, which later works the 0813 6 service from Jesmond Vale towards Monument.
7516 has returned from MAX refurbishment, was on the X18 yesterday so I'm guessing it probably got back early last week sometime, as it looked a little bit dirty however this was last night so I might be wrong on the dirt front.
(02 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm)tyresmoke wrote Indeed there are believed to be 5 Enviro 400s on order for service 7, with another 2 for the 6. The E400s for the 7 will displace 5 Pulsars to service 6, the remainder of which will be made up of new Streetlites.

(09 Nov 2014, 9:34 pm)mb134 wrote When the 7 gets E400's next year would it be possible to send a Pulsar to Ashington to help out with the X21/22?

Does Scott's post not give the answer - no, as the freed-up Pulsars are going to Durham for the 6.
(09 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Does Scott's post not give the answer - no, as the freed-up Pulsars are going to Durham for the 6.
Sorry, I did go back through the previous few pages to find the post that I could remember the info from as I couldn't remember numbers or anything like that, but must have skipped over it.
Thanks for the reply anyway, I'll try to be more thorough in the future Smile
(09 Nov 2014, 9:45 pm)mb134 wrote Sorry, I did go back through the previous few pages to find the post that I could remember the info from as I couldn't remember numbers or anything like that, but must have skipped over it.
Thanks for the reply anyway, I'll try to be more thorough in the future Smile

They added an extra bus into the timetable to try and help with reliability, so now have 16 for 15 PVR, but with extra layover and running time. I'm sure they'll get them sorted eventually

Site Administrator
Driver of 1577 seems to be struggling. Poor lass doesn't seem to know how to move the bus or which buttons to press!

Departing Park Lane about 10 mins late on the last 23 which was due to leave Sunderland.
(10 Nov 2014, 8:31 am)Dan wrote Driver of 1577 seems to be struggling. Poor lass doesn't seem to know how to move the bus or which buttons to press!

Departing Park Lane about 10 mins late on the last 23 which was due to leave Sunderland.

Yes they're a bit more complicated than they need to be! I'm guessing the horn was going quite a lot? Tongue