You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
I bet the E400's won't last as long as the DB250's though! With a bit of TLC, 7454 and 56 would make great motors for the summer X93 and the other 2 would be great reserves for Ashington. Why can't they build buses to last these days? Even despite being non DDA compliant, the P4** CCU palatines could still do a grand job. Look at all the B7's that S8** FVK and OFT bailed out on the TTX before the "better but still could be better" B9TL's went to GNE.
(14 Nov 2014, 10:07 pm)tyresmoke wrote I would expect that the Enviro 200s will come out of refurb with more than 34 seats. Maybe 36 or even 38. The X12 should be MAXed in February I understand - obviously not all runs with be MAX though as other buses are scheduled.

But all X12/X2 runs to eventually be of MAX spec?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(14 Nov 2014, 10:21 pm)aureolin wrote But all X12/X2 runs to eventually be of MAX spec?

No, I understand the weekday extra Framwellgate X12/X2 will remain as a standard vehicle owing to the Stockton 6 workings in-between. Also, depending on whether the working pattern is split once the X12 goes MAX, one evening trip could potentially turn up a Sapphire E400 once the Durham 6 is upgraded.
(14 Nov 2014, 10:21 pm)aureolin wrote But all X12/X2 runs to eventually be of MAX spec?

All full length ones will be yeah. The extra trips by Stockton on a weekday won't be, and there is one evening diagram on the 6/X12 circuit that will be Sapphire...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

I am still very much for double deckers on the Sapphire service 7 but my problem with half double deck and half single deck is some journeys can be unpredictable, the one I'm on now picked up 11 passengers at the Eden Arms, lots in Chilton including a wheelchair and loads are now getting on in Ferryhill this journey is certainly a very convincing case for double deckers.
What are the point to point numbers like on the 7? Just wondering whether there is enough scope to offer an express service to ease local loads.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
What are the point to point numbers like on the 7? Just wondering whether there is enough scope to offer an express service to ease local loads.
I think many travel locally like: Darlington - Newton Aycliffe, Newton Aycliffe - Durham, Ferryhill - Durham, Ferryhill - Darlington. Would like to see an express from Darlington to Durham and possibly Newcastle too.
(15 Nov 2014, 11:41 am)Jimmi wrote 7440 is now at Belmont depot and is operating service X24 today.

A return ticket to the Metrocentre costs only £1 on the X24 today.

Any idea on loadings? GNE X22 looked very healthy today
(15 Nov 2014, 6:43 pm)gtom wrote Any idea on loadings? GNE X22 looked very healthy today

The loadings I saw on the 1110 X24 leaving Durham had a few on, but it wasn't really busy.

They probably should have advertised the £1 return for today on more than just their Facebook page and a small poster in Durham Bus Station.
I think all of the runs on the 55 should be Pulsar operated. The first one was Solo operated, and had no seats left at all. The Pulsar afterwards, operating five minutes late, had only a few seats left! If it's that busy on a Saturday afternoon, then god knows what it'll be like on a Mon-Fri peak!
(15 Nov 2014, 11:13 pm)Tom wrote I think all of the runs on the 55 should be Pulsar operated. The first one was Solo operated, and had no seats left at all. The Pulsar afterwards, operating five minutes late, had only a few seats left! If it's that busy on a Saturday afternoon, then god knows what it'll be like on a Mon-Fri peak!

Welcome to the world of the 56/57/57A. Wink 
(15 Nov 2014, 11:16 pm)aureolin wrote Welcome to the world of the 56/57/57A. Wink 

Isn't the 56 normally deckers? Normally a ALX400 or Lowlander when I see it Smile
Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(15 Nov 2014, 11:17 pm)Tom wrote Isn't the 56 normally deckers? Normally a ALX400 or Lowlander when I see it Smile
One or two boards runs with deckers I believe. To link in with the school runs.
I presume there isn't going to be an official launch for the new MAX buses on the X15/X18?

The revised timetables start tomorrow, and after that there doesn't seem much point in having a launch as some of the buses will have been running around Northumberland for over a month, (albeit still completely unbranded). That begs another question, if there's not going to be a launch why on earth aren't the buses branded yet? It looks quite amateurish having totally blank buses running around.

The only explanation I can think of is there's going to be a combined launch with the 14/X14 buses but those routes aren't really related at all unless you're only travelling between Newcastle and Morpeth.
I presume there isn't going to be an official launch for the new MAX buses on the X15/X18?

The revised timetables start tomorrow, and after that there doesn't seem much point in having a launch as some of the buses will have been running around Northumberland for over a month, (albeit still completely unbranded). That begs another question, if there's not going to be a launch why on earth aren't the buses branded yet? It looks quite amateurish having totally blank buses running around.
 The only explanation I can think of is there's going to be a combined launch with the 14/X14 buses but those routes aren't really related at all unless you're only travelling between Newcastle and Morpeth.
I'm sure I heard about a MAX launch in Morpeth at some point.
Something not yet noted is the application of generic 'Sapphire' branding to Pulsars 1440/1512, as shown below by 1512

.jpg ANE-1512.JPG
Looks like the ex Park and Ride Solos from Durham are starting to arrive at Darlington. An unidentified example was seen "Not in Service" heading towards Faverdale depot yesterday afternoon . Now in standard Arriva colours.
After reading the comments about the problems with the doors and alternator brackets on the Streetlites I hope that Arriva senior management get this addressed before 1590 t0 1594 enter service on the Darlington X1 as this is a very demanding route with tight timings.It also operates from an outstation where a door problem could be an issue. It would be a shame for a route that has been built up to be held back by the current Pulsars being replaced by a bus not entirely suitable
After reading the comments about the problems with the doors and alternator brackets on the Streetlites I hope that Arriva senior management get this addressed before 1590 t0 1594 enter service on the Darlington X1 as this is a very demanding route with tight timings.It also operates from an outstation where a door problem could be an issue. It would be a shame for a route that has been built up to be held back by the current Pulsars being replaced by a bus not entirely suitable
I can see the MAX StreetLites being a problem on the X1 as they aren't as fast as Pulsars and then there is the issues of them being based at an outstation where everytime there is a problem they have to go to Darlington depot to be looked at and if the current X1 branded Pulsars are anything to go by they'll often be on other routes and I don't think passengers will be happy seeing Pulsars turn up instead of a StreetLite with WiFi and e-leather seats while a MAX StreetLite is on say the 1/5A.
(16 Nov 2014, 8:37 pm)Jimmi wrote I can see the MAX StreetLites being a problem on the X1 as they aren't as fast as Pulsars and then there is the issues of them being based at an outstation where everytime there is a problem they have to go to Darlington depot to be looked at and if the current X1 branded Pulsars are anything to go by they'll often be on other routes and I don't think passengers will be happy seeing Pulsars turn up instead of a StreetLite with WiFi and e-leather seats while a MAX StreetLite is on say the 1/5A.

Streetlites are absolutely crap. I can't understand why they can't go with Versas if Citaros are too expensive! The X1 will suffer as a result, and there will be more Pulsars than Streetlites on!
Streetlites are absolutely crap. I can't understand why they can't go with Versas if Citaros are too expensive! The X1 will suffer as a result, and there will be more Pulsars than Streetlites on!
I'm not keen on StreetLites, I rode from Middlesbrough to Redcar on service X4 the other day and at one point I think it jerked into another gear blasting down a duel-carriage way when made me move slightly further forward especially as I nabbed the seat by the fire door for the extra leg room.

Also rode one of the 23 examples between Peterlee and Hartlepool the other week and the ride over some of the terrible roads around the Hartlepool area was horrendous.

Also they do seem to be having problems keeping them on the road, especially Stockton's 5/5A examples.
(16 Nov 2014, 9:11 pm)Jimmi wrote I'm not keen on StreetLites, I rode from Middlesbrough to Redcar on service X4 the other day and at one point I think it jerked into another gear blasting down a duel-carriage way when made me move slightly further forward especially as I nabbed the seat by the fire door for the extra leg room.

Also rode one of the 23 examples between Peterlee and Hartlepool the other week and the ride over some of the terrible roads around the Hartlepool area was horrendous.

Also they do seem to be having problems keeping them on the road, especially Stockton's 5/5A examples.

The ones on the 306 are crap. They are like a snail along the coast road, and was jerking a lot, and was ridiculously rattly. 
Versas are much better, but Citaros would have been much more suited to the 4/X4 and 5. 
The ones on the 306 are crap. They are like a snail along the coast road, and was jerking a lot, and was ridiculously rattly.

Versas are much better, but Citaros would have been much more suited to the 4/X4 and 5.
Haven't rode the 306 examples but based on the other examples I imagine they are crap.

The StreetLite's have been placed on the wrong routes they are better suited to local services and Arriva have instead decided to allocate them to long distance high speed routes which they aren't suited to and I imagine they will have big problems on these routes before long.

Mercedes Citaro's would probably be the best option for the X3/X4/4 and 5/5A especially although I think Pulsars would be okay on these routes.
(16 Nov 2014, 9:28 pm)Jimmi wrote Haven't rode the 306 examples but based on the other examples I imagine they are crap.

The StreetLite's have been placed on the wrong routes they are better suited to local services and Arriva have instead decided to allocate them to long distance high speed routes which they aren't suited to and I imagine they will have big problems on these routes before long.

Mercedes Citaro's would probably be the best option for the X3/X4/4 and 5/5A especially although I think Pulsars would be okay on these routes.

Pulsars would have been perfect for the 306, and even the 23 would have been fine with Pulsars and Versas. 
There was even a Pulsar on the 306 today so says a lot about how crap the Streetlites are. 
Anything with a modern (since mid to late 90's) Cummins engine is crap, pure and simple! Cummins engines are only designed for your typical Killi to The West End or the Freeman to Wickham View. Interurban and long distance routes need either a Merc, Versa (for some), B9TL or a Scania E300 / E400. I even remember a Jesmond driver telling me that some of the 59 Pulsars are in a worse state than the Wright / ALX300 B10BLEs.