You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(10 Dec 2014, 8:05 pm)Racer_Experience wrote for the views and news

Well people can see it in the rare and odd section
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Go North East
2 mins ·
Service ‪#‎X40‬ is subject to considerable delays due to heavy traffic congestion on the route.

Due to an incident near Centre for Life in Newcastle, #43, #44, #45 & #46 diverted via Westmorland Rd & St James' Boulevard. Delays likely.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Services in the Washington Area seem to be running subject to Delays, Just walked to The Galleries and back and I seen the following.

82/83 running Together through Lambton (Birtley Bound) at 2pm as I left the House one of which would of been 15 Minutes Late, Then within the space of 5 Minutes (Galleries Bound) Two 2Cs past me, one of which would of been running around 15 Minutes Late, Then on the way Back I seen a 50 (Durham Bound) at 2:30pm running around 15-20 Minutes Late.
(12 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm)Malarkey wrote I didnt know you were able to Board 5171 with a Bike, Did you?

Seen Yesterday at Gateshead Interchange.

I thought it was only the former Lime Renowns that had these
(12 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm)Malarkey wrote I didnt know you were able to Board 5171 with a Bike, Did you?

Seen Yesterday at Gateshead Interchange.

Might be a spare from 4852?
Site Administrator
(12 Dec 2014, 3:43 pm)Tom wrote Might be a spare from 4852?

(12 Dec 2014, 3:56 pm)Malarkey wrote I would assume so as 4852 was Raided for Parts at Riverside.

A car crashed into 5171 last month - see details here. I expect this is the reason why 5171 has gained the doors from 4852.
(12 Dec 2014, 4:41 pm)randomdude wrote Just a quick question, what is the standard allocation on the 74 on Saturdays? Is the b6ble usually allocated? If so is it on any particular board?

It's often on the 1230 from Eldon Square. 
(12 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm)randomdude wrote Oh, ok. Any idea what is usually on the 1035 from eldon square?

I'd imagine a MPD? Smile
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(10 Dec 2014, 6:26 pm)Dan wrote Washington's Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6027 is the latest to arrive at Saltmeadows for repaint into corporate livery.
This bus has now returned to service at Washington and was allocated to a scholars service this evening.

No further arrivals at Saltmeadows, as far as I know.
(12 Dec 2014, 5:07 pm)Dan wrote This bus has now returned to service at Washington and was allocated to a scholars service this evening.

No further arrivals at Saltmeadows, as far as I know.

almost got a photo but a Stagecoach bus was in the way oh well as i say there is always Next time 
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
RE: Paint Shop/Branding
Personally my favourite ever GNE branding was the Magic Roundabout one, but my least favourite was the half hearted Venture livery which was used on one of the red and white optare solo's.
RE: Paint Shop/Branding
(12 Dec 2014, 9:50 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Personally my favourite ever GNE branding was the Magic Roundabout one, but my least favourite was the half hearted Venture livery which was used on one of the red and white optare solo's.

I quite like the venture one. Simple, but stands out. Magic Roundabout, I doubt would be ever done on that scale again, due the the rights which would have had to be purchased. 

My favourite is probably the angel livery from the original Geminis. Closely followed by the Green Angels, and then the Saltwell Park branding on the Streetlites.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
This is off 3 hours ago

Due to unforeseen roadworks in Knookside, service 39 is diverting via Chester Road in both directions. We apologise for any inconvenience.

I'm sure it doesn't have a silent K.................
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 Dec 2014, 1:28 pm)Michael wrote This is off 3 hours ago

Due to unforeseen roadworks in Knookside, service 39 is diverting via Chester Road in both directions. We apologise for any inconvenience.

I'm sure it doesn't have a silent K.................

Nookside it is
Had a mate wait 50mins for a 20a earlier today.

The one he got was 7 mins late according to the driver when asked - who seemed a decent fella by all accounts.
The one on front was "missing". He didn't ask about the one before that.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(13 Dec 2014, 11:21 pm)Andreos1 wrote Had a mate wait 50mins for a 20a earlier today.

The one he got was 7 mins late according to the driver when asked - who seemed a decent fella by all accounts.
The one on front was "missing". He didn't ask about the one before that.

Yeah they were quite bad at around 2 today, there were none for about 25 mins, then a 20 and 20A came in together, followed by a 20 five mins later. Not sure whether it was to do with match day traffic/loadings or something. 
The 20/20A could maybe have also been delayed by traffic in Durham as I'm told it was busy in Durham today, apparently a car smashed into the wall at Crossgate Peth mainly effecting the X21 and Arriva routes such as the 7 which apparently nearly pulled one of the cars door off.
@Tom

Where did you see these delays? Park Lane?
Would love to know how layover time in Shields will assist/improve reliability of a service already prone to delays at several pinch points on the current route - regardless of match day traffic.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 Dec 2014, 12:40 am)Andreos1 wrote @Tom

Where did you see these delays? Park Lane?
Would love to know how layover time in Shields will assist/improve reliability of a service already prone to delays at several pinch points on the current route - regardless of match day traffic.

Yeah Smile
Hopefully they will get a long layover in South Shields. 
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(13 Dec 2014, 11:49 pm)Jimmi wrote The 20/20A could maybe have also been delayed by traffic in Durham as I'm told it was busy in Durham today, apparently a car smashed into the wall at Crossgate Peth mainly effecting the X21 and Arriva routes such as the 7 which apparently nearly pulled one of the cars door off.
Yes, I think it would have been an incident en-route paired with increased loadings for the match.
All services, including those not operated by Go North East, seem to encounter delays on match days, even if they do not serve the Stadium of Light. I can only imagine that this is not a coincidence and is in fact due to higher loadings.

I'm not sure how many journeys per day there are on services 20/20A or how much mileage in total is operated, but if two trips were missed out today, I immediately look at the bigger picture and don't assume that the reliability is awful because of this. I must say that depots should not be dropping two 20-minute frequency routes in a row though, Andreos, so ask your friend to report the incident to Go North East so it can be fully investigated.

It goes without saying that Go North East and other operators continuously seek to improve the reliability of their routes to reduce lost mileage (and hence the associated costs with no revenue being generated) as well as customer inconvenience. Where resources permit, further buses can be pumped into the PVR. There are no spare Volvo B9TLs or Mercedes Citaro vehicles at the moment which is why we will see services 27 and 56 reduced to a 12 minute frequency. The PVR will reduce by one vehicle, even though in both cases it could have been two. This means that the amount of layover, paired with recovery time en-route, will be much greater. The other option is to optimise the routes in a specific area and join them together, allowing resources to be shifted around accordingly. This will happen to most of the routes in Sunderland due to change next month. Indeed, Michael and I worked out that the PVR of services 20/20A could be 18 with minimal layover/recovery time - I'm confident it will be higher than this - we'll come back to this conversation once the timetables are released and the repainting of vehicles confirm the amount required for the PVR, and this will show how extending services 20/20A to South Shields will improve reliability.
(14 Dec 2014, 7:43 am)Dan wrote Yes, I think it would have been an incident en-route paired with increased loadings for the match.
All services, including those not operated by Go North East, seem to encounter delays on match days, even if they do not serve the Stadium of Light. I can only imagine that this is not a coincidence and is in fact due to higher loadings.

I'm not sure how many journeys per day there are on services 20/20A or how much mileage in total is operated, but if two trips were missed out today, I immediately look at the bigger picture and don't assume that the reliability is awful because of this. I must say that depots should not be dropping two 20-minute frequency routes in a row though, Andreos, so ask your friend to report the incident to Go North East so it can be fully investigated.

It goes without saying that Go North East and other operators continuously seek to improve the reliability of their routes to reduce lost mileage (and hence the associated costs with no revenue being generated) as well as customer inconvenience. Where resources permit, further buses can be pumped into the PVR. There are no spare Volvo B9TLs or Mercedes Citaro vehicles at the moment which is why we will see services 27 and 56 reduced to a 12 minute frequency. The PVR will reduce by one vehicle, even though in both cases it could have been two. This means that the amount of layover, paired with recovery time en-route, will be much greater. The other option is to optimise the routes in a specific area and join them together, allowing resources to be shifted around accordingly. This will happen to most of the routes in Sunderland due to change next month. Indeed, Michael and I worked out that the PVR of services 20/20A could be 18 with minimal layover/recovery time - I'm confident it will be higher than this - we'll come back to this conversation once the timetables are released and the repainting of vehicles confirm the amount required for the PVR, and this will show how extending services 20/20A to South Shields will improve reliability.

I'm never around Park Lane immediately before and after kick off and wasn't aware other services were adversely affected. Maybe Tom, if you were at Park Lane yesterday, could shed some light on delays to other services? 
I think the consensus on this forum, is that a route every 10 minutes on such a long route could be a nightmare. It's not uncommon to see 20's running in pairs and around 9am, it's not uncommon to see a big que for the 20, much longer than any other service I'd say. I think though we do have to accept the decision has been made and remember things like the 50 seemingly work okay? Time will tell whether GNE & NEB got it right on this one! 
(14 Dec 2014, 7:43 am)Dan wrote Yes, I think it would have been an incident en-route paired with increased loadings for the match.

Timetables should be on soon i would imagine, with big changes to routes, i think GNE will want them to be online before Christmas... 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.