You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
3 silver arrows has gone past the Grindon mill within 5 minutes of each other, towards park lane... they're becoming a massive problem with being late, even during the day.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Once again i find myself waiting over 20 minutes for the 4 back to the gals

Same this morning waited 25 minutes from the gals to the college
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Go North East - Latest
(16 Dec 2014, 12:32 pm)Michael wrote Once again i find myself waiting over 20 minutes for the 4 back to the gals

Same this morning waited 25 minutes from the gals to the college

Haven't used the Connections4 in quite a while now, so I think I'll have a run on it on Saturday, maybe Houghton to Washington.

Do these delays occur at just peak times or is it some sort of fault within the timetable?
(16 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Haven't used the Connections4 in quite a while now, so I think I'll have a run on it on Saturday, maybe Houghton to Washington.

Do these delays occur at just peak times or is it some sort of fault within the timetable?
I used it regularly when living on route, and from my experience it's quite common that timetable gaps appear. More so towards Heworth though, than the other direction.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(16 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Haven't used the Connections4 in quite a while now, so I think I'll have a run on it on Saturday, maybe Houghton to Washington.

It is mainly a peak time issue, but believe it or not, the roundabout at the Galleries that the 4 crosses, can sometimes be very inconsiderately blocked at weekends and weekday lunchtimes by the great shopping public in their cars.
Bit of a running joke amongst my mates, that I am always late for a night out, afternoon pint etc.
Often, it is because of issues with the 4.

I do think the timetable lends itself to it catching up time further into the route.

Never noticed any issues in a certain direction, but a mate has noticed the late runs are towards Heworth in the main.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm)Andreos1 wrote Bit of a running joke amongst my mates, that I am always late for a night out, afternoon pint etc.
Often, it is because of issues with the 4.

I do think the timetable lends itself to it catching up time further into the route.

Never noticed any issues in a certain direction, but a mate has noticed the late runs are towards Heworth in the main.

Maybe the changes for the 4 at end of January is for reliability issues, hopefully. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Dec 2014, 2:59 pm)Michael wrote Maybe the changes for the 4 at end of January is for reliability issues, hopefully. 

The M1 had the same issues - which may have been addressed, but haven't always worked.

Hopefully you are right about the Jan changes.
(16 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm)Andreos1 wrote The M1 had the same issues - which may have been addressed, but haven't always worked.

Hopefully you are right about the Jan changes.

Hopefully that's what the changes are. 

We should find out soon. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Dec 2014, 2:59 pm)Michael wrote Maybe the changes for the 4 at end of January is for reliability issues, hopefully. 
I would think so, just been looking at the Timetable and it takes 52 Minutes to do the Full Route from Houghton to Heworth, and receives a total of 5 Minutes Layover, Heworth 2 Minutes and Houghton 3 Minutes, not really much time to allow the Service to make up time if its running late is it.

As a former student at the Usworth Campus I used to use the Service almost daily depending on the Weather, otherwise id ride my Bike there and back, I often found if I did get the Bus from The Galleries at 08:34 to Usworth that it was often Several Minutes Late or simply no showed, same with the 08:44, it was a rarity for me to even get to College on time, Making the return journey home was fine as I often found the Bus would simply turn up as approached the Stop.

I think issue stems along the Route at Peak Times, as you have those who are going to Work and then those going to School/College, The 4 passes Several Schools along the Route, Biddick and St Roberts being the most notable, I would further think between 08:00 and 09:00 the Traffic would be horrendous between those Schools with them being quite close to each other, along with other Schools along the Route, I also think the issue comes from the Houghton end also rather than Heworth, as at the Heworth end there is a Bus Lane from Lingey Lane all the way down the Roundabout for Heworth Metro, so surely there should zero issues at that end unless there has been a Crash.

As for the Changes to the Service I can GNE Reducing the Frequency to Every 12 Minutes as they have done with the 27 and 56 iirc, other than that I dont think it will be anything majot at all.
Just been on the Phone to my Mother, and I heard in the Background very clearly I might add "Next Stop is Washington Retail Park", actually thought I was on the Bus myself it was that Loud, one would also assume she is on the 4.
Are those layover times correct?

Many a time, I have got off the metro in the evening peak and whilst a bus is already waiting, it can layover for quite a few minutes before pulling off.

In Houghton, I have seen them scoot around via the A690 and Hillside Way, before coming back along Newbottle Street - rather than wait time on Broadway.
It can take a few minutes to do the full loop of Houghton, depending on the time of day. Then there would be loading times. Combined, it would take over 3mins.

Obviously this isn't always the case, but happens quite regularly over the course of the day.
(16 Dec 2014, 9:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Are those layover times correct?

Many a time, I have got off the metro in the evening peak and whilst a bus is already waiting, it can layover for quite a few minutes before pulling off.

In Houghton, I have seen them scoot around via the A690 and Hillside Way, before coming back along Newbottle Street - rather than wait time on Broadway.
It can take a few minutes to do the full loop of Houghton, depending on the time of day. Then there would be loading times. Combined, it would take over 3mins.

Obviously this isn't always the case, but happens quite regularly over the course of the day.

They get three minutes at Houghton, and five minutes at Heworth. 
Site Administrator
(16 Dec 2014, 9:39 pm)Tom wrote They get three minutes at Houghton, and five minutes at Heworth. 
And I've found that the Mercs can get down the Felling Bypass about a minute faster than the Scanias (as per old M1 operation), meaning that they do often get six rather than five!

As an occasional outside of peak user of the 4, I've always considered it to be fairly reliable. I tend to only use it between Heworth and Concord/The Galleries but more often than not it utilises its built in relief time whilst waiting at these timing points... The timings between the minor stops may be out but fine at the main timing points; in which case, it should be easy enough for these to be altered next month.

Having said that: I recall two drivers on the 4 discussing during a changeover that, unlike the X1, you do actually have to work on the 4...
Scania OmniCity CN94UB
Put up on VOSA today:

PB0003954/626 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: GATESHEAD INTERCHANGE
Finish Point: NEWCASTLE CENTRAL STATION
Via:
Service Number: Q1
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 26-JUL-2015
Other Details: MONDAY TO SATURDAY (EXCEPT PUBLIC HOLIDAYS) SUNDAY (AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS)

PB0003954/625 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: GREAT PARK VILLAGE, WAGONWAY DRIVE
Finish Point: GREAT PARK VILLAGE, WAGONWAY DRIVE
Via:
Service Number: Q3
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 26-JUL-2015
Other Details: MONDAY TO SATURDAY ( EXCEPT PUBLIC HOLIDAYS ) SUNDAY (AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS)

Therefore one assumes Go North East have been awarded the QuayLink contract, however more interestingly is this Q3 is essentially replacing the X40 to great Park, wonder how thats going to work!
(17 Dec 2014, 10:10 am)NK05 GWZ wrote Therefore one assumes Go North East have been awarded the QuayLink contract, however more interestingly is this Q3 is essentially replacing the X40 to great Park, wonder how thats going to work!

Or maybe a commerical operation?
Going back to the 4 discussion after Michael mentioned issues yesterday.

Just drove from Gateshead to the Galleries, passing Heworth.
As it's the quickest/shortest route, I followed the path of the 4 from Heworth roundabout.
I observed the following:
A 4 arriving into Heworth.

Between Heworth and Concord, there was one vehicle, loading/unloading in Concord on a Houghton bound service.
Between Concord and the Galleries, two Heworth bound 4's were following each other on Blue House Lane, just coming off the roundabout.

One in each direction were parked up at the Galleries.

No idea what the issues are/were.
(17 Dec 2014, 7:48 pm)aureolin wrote http://www.simplygo.com/news/closure-of-...uary-2015/

Just been reading the above link. Do we know if this is an emergency closure, or is it planned? From the diversion, it sounds like it'll have a massive knock on affect on all GNE services passing through that area.

I already posted it 2 hours ago in the GNE changes thread Tongue 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Dec 2014, 7:57 pm)Michael wrote I already posted it 2 hours ago in the GNE changes thread  
Oops sorry! I'm laptopless at the moment, and this new tapatalk is a nightmare to navigate.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(17 Dec 2014, 7:58 pm)aureolin wrote Oops sorry! I'm laptopless at the moment, and this new tapatalk is a nightmare to navigate.

Tongue not prob's haha 

I don't have the app yet, i tried it once and hated it!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Dec 2014, 10:10 am)NK05 GWZ wrote Put up on VOSA today:

Therefore one assumes Go North East have been awarded the QuayLink contract, however more interestingly is this Q3 is essentially replacing the X40 to great Park, wonder how thats going to work!

Quaylink will likely be commercial. Newcastle have followed Gatesheads lead and will be pulling Quaylink funding
(17 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm)gtom wrote Quaylink will likely be commercial. Newcastle have followed Gatesheads lead and will be pulling Quaylink funding

although this might sound like a spolier but it also seems could the Quaylink be in for an investment in 2015 looks as though a possible leak to july which is 8 months away
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
(18 Dec 2014, 12:32 am)Racer_Experience wrote although this might sound like a spolier but it also seems could the Quaylink be in for an investment in 2015 looks as though a possible leak to july which is 8 months away
Why would services Q1/Q2 and X40 be invested in?
Surely it would be a better idea to reduce the frequency of the QuayLink to make operating it more commercially viable and use the buses saved to operate the X40, cascading to replace the rather unreliable Scania artics?
Although GNE gained the X40 contract on the basis of artic. operation, they're hardly out anyway these days, and I'm sure Great Park wouldn't argue with buses being allocated which are five years old...

In other news: 5280 and 6008 have both arrived back at Riverside and Deptford respectively, following repaint. Unsure as of yet whether any other Volvo B7s have arrived, though this could become clearer when I am back at home later today.