You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East
Trent have had their "Red Arrows" brand since 2008, I believe. Go North East had their "Red Arrows" brand before then, didn't they? 2007 or so the coaches were de-branded..?
I remember working in Nottingham and seeing the Red Arrow coaches down there - it would have been 2006, but not sure when the brand was launched.
At that point, Im pretty sure GNE hadn't launched their branding.

There is also a Pronto in Nottingham, with possibly other similar named brands too

edit. A Red Arrows coach was involved in a fatal accident in Derby city centre in Dec 2006 according to this: www.derbybusdepot.co.uk/december06.html So def launched before GNE
(17 Jun 2013, 1:49 pm)Daniel wrote Trent have had their "Red Arrows" brand since 2008, I believe. Go North East had their "Red Arrows" brand before then, didn't they? 2007 or so the coaches were de-branded..?

Pretty sure the Red Arrows brand appeared circa 2004. It was certainly around a year or so before I started working where I am (2006), as I used to get the coaches through to Newcastle which were red arrows branded.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(17 Jun 2013, 6:34 pm)aureolin wrote
(17 Jun 2013, 1:49 pm)Daniel wrote Trent have had their "Red Arrows" brand since 2008, I believe. Go North East had their "Red Arrows" brand before then, didn't they? 2007 or so the coaches were de-branded..?

Pretty sure the Red Arrows brand appeared circa 2004. It was certainly around a year or so before I started working where I am (2006), as I used to get the coaches through to Newcastle which were red arrows branded.

For Trent I thought it was around 2008 and had a brief look on Flickr and the earliest example I could find a photo from was 2008, so I went with it. Didn't have a proper look though.

I had no idea when GNE's started though, as I didn't look. I'm sure the coaches from the "Red Arrows" brand were de-branded in early 2007 when they moved onto driver training duties. I thought branding was only started in 2006 or so though?
(17 Jun 2013, 7:01 pm)Daniel wrote
(17 Jun 2013, 6:34 pm)aureolin wrote

For Trent I thought it was around 2008 and had a brief look on Flickr and the earliest example I could find a photo from was 2008, so I went with it. Didn't have a proper look though.

I had no idea when GNE's started though, as I didn't look. I'm sure the coaches from the "Red Arrows" brand were de-branded in early 2007 when they moved onto driver training duties. I thought branding was only started in 2006 or so though?

The coaches went on the X23 before some went on Driver Training and others were sold I believe. The coaches were only used on Red Arrows due to the order of the Citaros being severely late and also why the Omnicities were also on the X2 etc in 2006 before going on the 21.
Trent Bartons Red Arrow has been running far longer than GNEs example. The 04 plate Irizars I believe were new for it to upgrade from the Premieres so I reckon it's been running since 2002 at least, probably before.
Someone from just outside trent-land here... Red Arrow has existed since 1997, launched in September that year with Plaxton Interurban bodied Volvo B10M's.
Angel double decker passed me at Wheatsheaf, Sunderland going north up towards Newcastle Road. Didnt catch fleet number.

This would of being at either 9.50am or 10.20am...

Can't remember which number 19 I caught down to Roker after leaving the gym.
Lambton Worm working a short 94 to Team Valley. Always thought it was a special works service it started its working on opposed to a 94

This then heads to Ouston for a 34/34a to Waldridge
As I was way too tired on Sunday here is a summary of Odd Workings from last week.

Thursday 13th June

3963 NK06 JXB Go North East Tyne Tees Xpress Wright Gemini on the 24 to Wrekenton
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9042611595/

5232 NK55 OLM GNE OK Expressway Wright Solar on the WheyAye50 Service 50 to Chester Moor
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9035850248/

0639 NK12 HCF GNE Nexus Optare Solo SR on the Quaylink Service Q1 to Central Station
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9058667198/

3968 PJ02 PYU GNE East Lancs Vyking on the 307 to Benton Asda
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9058666066/

Also the PoppyBus was on the Highwayman 97 but I missed it on both occasions that I had seen it.

Friday 14th June

522 NK51 MKE GNE East Durham Dennis Dart MPD on the Drifter Service 60 to Parkside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9042613859/

537 NA52 AWZ GNE East Durham Dennis Dart MPD on the Simplicity Service 42 to Silksworth
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...otostream/

8328 NK11 HBC GNE Simplicity Optare Versa on the Drifter 61 to Murton
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9056417093/
Seems to be a regular working now

8273 NK54 NLD GNE Drifter Wright Cadet on Simplicity 36A to Town End Farm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...otostream/
Seems to be a regular working now with these Cadet in the process of being repainted into Northern Branding

Sunday 16th June

6062 NK62 CJJ GNE Angel Wright Gemini Hybrid on the Pronto X21 to Bishop Auckland
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9060152922/
The 21 interworks with the X21 on Sundays and operates via Durham Howlands Park and Ride Site to Bishop Auckland also instead of it's normal route
Anyone got any pics of service 99 at Silksworth never caught one yet!! What vehicles are been used and how is partonage
Site Administrator
(18 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm)Acky81 wrote Anyone got any pics of service 99 at Silksworth never caught one yet!! What vehicles are been used and how is partonage

Chris White got a photo at Silksworth not so long ago when 628 was on there.
Anyone got any updates for the Streetlites for the 53/54/60... I haven't heard anything, just wondering if any1 else has.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
I think it's interesting that Deptford are allocating buses for the first runs of the day, taking them out of service and then sending them to Saltmeadows.
8272 was out in-service on 36As this morning.

Until the Streetlites appear at Heysham, I think my guess is as good as yours Adam!
(19 Jun 2013, 12:26 pm)Daniel wrote I think it's interesting that Deptford are allocating buses for the first runs of the day, taking them out of service and then sending them to Saltmeadows.

Until the Streetlites appear at Heysham, I think my guess is as good as yours Adam!

Yup, nothing being spotted yet but the person who normally goes hasn't updated for a while.

Always liked Adam for a name XD
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Jun 2013, 12:26 pm)Daniel wrote I think it's interesting that Deptford are allocating buses for the first runs of the day, taking them out of service and then sending them to Saltmeadows.

Think that'll be down to the early part of the day being peak requirement for vehicles. Once you get to 9am all the scholars buses are back in, these can then be put out onto service and change over said Cadet to send to Saltmeadows. When it comes to scholars on an afternoon you'll have buses fixed that were VOR on the morning that you can then use to change over to get scholars vehicles off again.
Site Administrator
It appears that 8271 was a direct replacement for 8272 today - 8271 was put out onto the same board as 8272 was on when I saw her this morning. Smile
8251 NA52 BVH GNE South Tyne 88 Wright Cadet on the Washington Street Shuttle W5 to Brady Square
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9086794008/

5232 NK55 OLM GNE OK Expressway Wright Solar on the WheyAye50 Service X21 to Bishop Auckland
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9086795388/

3964 NK06 JKC GNE Festival of the North East Wright Gemini on Service 24 to Wrekenton
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/9084578357/

(19 Jun 2013, 12:32 pm)Michael wrote

Yup, nothing being spotted yet but the person who normally goes hasn't updated for a while.

Always liked Adam for a name XD
Adam is a wonderful name Hahaha.

I was speaking to Lewis Smith (Smiths and Robsons Coaches on Flickr) on Sunday after the Durham Bus Rally and he told me that a Driver he spoke to told him the Streetlites that are due are going on the 58. No idea whether this rumour is true or not or whether it is a temp thing like when the Omnicities were at Washington for a while before going on the 21 back in 2006. No doubt it'll probs be a load crap like. But I do see the logic behind it until GNE get something new to replace them. Unless GNE have ordered another batch of 16 Streetlites on top of the Current 16 due in the few weeks, but it hasn't been announced yet.
Dennis Dart SPD 8225 was on the 27 today - still with 'Blaydon Racers' posters on board. SPDs 8215 and 8229 were also out today on the 'Orbit'.
Speaking of old internal branding/adverts, does anyone know if the Northern Renown at Washington is still plastered with Highwayman information?
(19 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm)Andreos1 wrote Speaking of old internal branding/adverts, does anyone know if the Northern Renown at Washington is still plastered with Highwayman information?

Yeah they are unfortunately, I think some of Deptfords are like that also.
Site Administrator
(19 Jun 2013, 6:04 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote
(19 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm)Andreos1 wrote Speaking of old internal branding/adverts, does anyone know if the Northern Renown at Washington is still plastered with Highwayman information?

Most are, I believe. Green paint also visible on most of the ex-Highwayman Renowns at Deptford. Shoddy jobs!
(19 Jun 2013, 6:50 pm)Daniel wrote
(19 Jun 2013, 6:04 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote

Most are, I believe. Green paint also visible on most of the ex-Highwayman Renowns at Deptford. Shoddy jobs!

No branding left on those still at Gateshead. If i remember correctly, the route maps were removed on most whilst at Gateshead.
Site Administrator
Are you certain on that one? I'm sure one (I'll check for fleet number when I get out of bed) still retains some stickers (inc. Branding on the cab door as you enter). I say this, but it was quite a while ago now when I last had a journey on the Renown I speak of.

EDIT: 4916. Main interior branding removed, but some still exists if memory serves (from February 2013).
Northern Cadet on the short X35 this morning - new bodywork with poor paintwork, at front of bus, as well as smoking badly and stained badly around rear exhaust.