You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
(12 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm)JoshP wrote As I said early last year, I think only town services will remain Arriva with out of town services becoming Sapphire or MAX. That's my prediction anyways.

So what might happen to the 85/685 Newcastle to Carlisle?
(12 Jan 2015, 4:57 pm)mb134 wrote I don't know if I've picked this up correctly, so can someone please correct this if it's wrong Smile
Are most Arriva services going to be under some kind of brand from now on, be it MAX Sapphire or high frequency route branded? It just seems like a large majority of services are seeing upgrades or branding.

It certainly seems like it doesn't it. The North East & Yorkshire operating companies are definitely leading the way at the moment with service delivery & impelmentation of upgrades and everyone else is starting to follow (look how many regions are now using MAX for example!).
Sapphire is a countrywide project by DB to hopefully generate growth on those routes with a big focus on them. Certainly seems to be paying off so far, and it is due to be expanded once again this year.

(12 Jan 2015, 5:19 pm)G-CPTN wrote So what might happen to the 85/685 Newcastle to Carlisle?

I think you will likely see this one go MAX at some point - question of course is what will Stagecoach do as it is jointly operated?

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(12 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm)tyresmoke wrote It certainly seems like it doesn't it. The North East & Yorkshire operating companies are definitely leading the way at the moment with service delivery & impelmentation of upgrades and everyone else is starting to follow (look how many regions are now using MAX for example!).
Sapphire is a countrywide project by DB to hopefully generate growth on those routes with a big focus on them. Certainly seems to be paying off so far, and it is due to be expanded once again this year.

I think you will likely see this one go MAX at some point - question of course is what will Stagecoach do as it is jointly operated?

Judging by passenger numbers, I don't think the 85 justifies being operated at all, never mind being upgraded to MAX!
(12 Jan 2015, 5:31 pm)Tom wrote Judging by passenger numbers, I don't think the 85 justifies being operated at all, never mind being upgraded to MAX!

That's what I was thinking.
(12 Jan 2015, 4:49 pm)ArrivaNE_7522 wrote What do the Max uniforms look like?
yet to be confirmed as Scott said, but I would think white shirts and dark blue ties. What should have happened is when the new Sapphire uniforms were ordered, generic white shirts should have been designed, so they could then be used across sapphire and max. Plus, will X1 still have its own or will it fall under max overall? So many choices!
(12 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm)MrPottski wrote yet to be confirmed as Scott said, but I would think white shirts and dark blue ties. What should have happened is when the new Sapphire uniforms were ordered, generic white shirts should have been designed, so they could then be used across sapphire and max. Plus, will X1 still have its own or will it fall under max overall? So many choices!

Hahaha don't go there! Everything works back to front as usual, implement it before everything is ready.

(12 Jan 2015, 5:01 pm)JoshP wrote As I said early last year, I think only town services will remain Arriva with out of town services becoming Sapphire or MAX. That's my prediction anyways. Except for the Eco services using gas busses or 'special' Streetlites. That's my prediction

(12 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm)tyresmoke wrote It certainly seems like it doesn't it. The North East & Yorkshire operating companies are definitely leading the way at the moment with service delivery & impelmentation of upgrades and everyone else is starting to follow (look how many regions are now using MAX for example!).
Cheers both! Big Grin
I think service brands, MAX and Sapphire, Stagecoach Gold etc. have a good impact on passengers, as a passenger it seems like the companies are trying to improve services, and thinking about what customers want, or expect, now.
I would love to see the profiling/research relating the impact of branding on passenger numbers.

Not cos I am a cynic or owt, it's just that apart from the initial interest, branding does nowt for me.

Going back to the days of the PTE, ExpressLink (apart from those coach seats), Superliner, Go Gateshead, VFM, Wear Buses etc to current brands, including Gold or Max (yet to do Sapphire) - it just doesn't float my boat at all.

Whether I expect too much, I ain't materialistic enough to indulge, or just enjoy the basics who knows.
Anyone else the same?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(12 Jan 2015, 8:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote I would love to see the profiling/research relating the impact of branding on passenger numbers.

Not cos I am a cynic or owt, it's just that apart from the initial interest, branding does nowt for me.

Going back to the days of the PTE, ExpressLink (apart from those coach seats), Superliner, Go Gateshead, VFM, Wear Buses etc to current brands, including Gold or Max (yet to do Sapphire) - it just doesn't float my boat at all.

Whether I expect too much, I ain't materialistic enough to indulge, or just enjoy the basics who knows.
Anyone else the same?

Have to say if I am going anywhere new, then branded routes do help as they stand out from the "standard" routes and make them much easier to understand for me. For example the A shuttle that I used in Luton was branded separately as part of the Busway services, ran every 15 minutes with branded buses very rarely seen off route (though it does happen...).

Branding only works when its done properly of course...

This counts as my annoying post for today.

The 1000 X66 from Darlington didn't turn up so now I'm standing at the front of the bus and have to keep moving for people wanting to be on and off on the 1020 journey - joy!
(13 Jan 2015, 3:48 pm)forster wrote Blyth's 7607 is still in standard fleet livery, seen on the X10 today.
Had it been refurbished, or still not touched at all?
Travelled on Blyth's 7615 today- I have to say the heaters were working really well- upstairs, where it's normally cooler, even the handrails were warm! Smile
(13 Jan 2015, 10:39 am)Jimmi wrote This counts as my annoying post for today.

The 1000 X66 from Darlington didn't turn up so now I'm standing at the front of the bus and have to keep moving for people wanting to be on and off on the 1020 journey - joy!

Move down the bus then!!
(13 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm)Cock Robin wrote Move down the bus then!!

I could probably have moved down a bit but I would been a bit more squashed. This was mostly people getting off between Harrowgate Hill and Whinbush, it was practically full seating and standing.
(13 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm)forster wrote Travelled on Blyth's 7615 today- I have to say the heaters were working really well- upstairs, where it's normally cooler, even the handrails were warm! Smile

When did you go on it? I can't remember which one I was on: 1210 X11 Newcastle-Blyth
(13 Jan 2015, 5:41 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Listen, Cock, there's probably a reason he's standing at the front...there's no bloody seats!!

I realise that, but if people moved down he could squeeze more on.
(13 Jan 2015, 5:49 pm)ArrivaNE_7522 wrote When did you go on it? I can't remember which one I was on: 1210 X11 Newcastle-Blyth

Got on at Blyth bus station, 11.30dep. to Haymarket, arr. approx. 12.25. X10.
Diversion of Services X26, X27 and 26A from Monday 19th January

From Monday 19th January, for around five weeks, Services X26, X27 and 26A will be unable to serve Gough Road in Catterick Garrison, due to road works.

These works will house a closure, which will prevent vehicles from accessing the junction of Gough Road & Richmond Road. Unfortunately, we will be unable to serve the Tesco store during the period of closure.

In order to ensure that our services operate as reliably and as punctual as possible, the following diversion routes will be adopted for the five week period and some passengers in Hispwell Village and Kemmel will see a slight revision to the times of their journey.

Revised routes and times are as follows;

Services X26 and 26A

These services will not serve Gough Road or Richmond Road and will instead operate via Hipswell Road West, Plumer Road and Leyburn Road. Arrangements will be in place to allow passengers to board and alight these services at the Leyburn Road/Richmond Road roundabout and also at the Plumer Road/Gough Road junction.

There will be no changes to the timetable whilst the closure is in place for these two services.

Service X27

In order to maintain links to Hipswell Village, Service X27 will unfortunately be unable to serve Hipswell Road West or Plumer Road. Instead, buses will operate directly from Richmond to Hipswell Village and on to Kemmel. As a result, services will arrive at Hipswell Village and Kemmel from Darlington, around 8 minutes earlier than timetabled.

Furthermore, journeys towards Darlington from Kemmel, will operate around 8 minutes later than they do now from Kemmel and Hipswell Village, before normal timetable will apply onwards through Richmond to Darlington.

We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, and we do appreciate the patience of our passengers during the past few weeks of roadworks which have been out of our control.
X20/20 Max update:
Routes X20/20 are to be upgraded to Max during the summer.

With thanks to the supervisor at Ashington
(14 Jan 2015, 4:53 pm)mb134 wrote From the ANE Facebook Page:

TITAN IS BACK! He will be performing in front of Whitby Abbey on 21st January @ 4:30pm.

He will officially launch our new MAX buses which will soon be in service on route X93. It’s not to be missed!.... Remember to wrap up warm! ‪#‎titan‬

https://www.facebook.com/arrivanortheast...=1&theater

Quite fancy it, but don't fancy a 2+ hour trip back from Whitby at night!
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(14 Jan 2015, 7:33 pm)aureolin wrote Quite fancy it, but don't fancy a 2+ hour trip back from Whitby at night!

I may go but I'm not sure as it's likely to be dark by 1630 and my camera isn't very good at night shots.

The other worry is meeting connections (especially at night) I have to be in Middlesbrough before 1942 for the last X66 to Darlington then have a fairly tight connection between the X66 and 5A.

Also there is only one X93 an hour so standing up to 60 minutes in the dark in January doesn't sound pleasant.

Anyone know when they'll be in service?
(14 Jan 2015, 7:40 pm)Jimmi wrote I may go but I'm not sure as it's likely to be dark by 1630 and my camera isn't very good at night shots.

The other worry is meeting connections (especially at night) I have to be in Middlesbrough before 1942 for the last X66 to Darlington then have a fairly tight connection between the X66 and 5A.

Also there is only one X93 an hour so standing up to 60 minutes in the dark in January doesn't sound pleasant.

Anyone know when they'll be in service?

I'd say it has to be next Thursday at the latest? Pretty pointless launching a bus, then not having them out in service?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(14 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm)aureolin wrote I'd say it has to be next Thursday at the latest? Pretty pointless launching a bus, then not having them out in service?

I would hope so but Darlington had their MAX launch on a Friday and didn't put them out until the Monday.