You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2013

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East
13/07/13

After her loan to Gateshead, 5337 returned to Percy Main on 9th July 2013. A photo of her on regular duties can be seen by clicking here.

"MetroLINK" 4960 arrived at Saltmeadows to be prepared for repaint. A photo of 4960 is displayed here.

"Citylink" 5356 failed at the Metrocentre, Gateshead. A photo is displayed here.

Odd workings:
- "Northern" SPD 8225 on service X66.
- "Poppy Bus" Solar 4949 on service X9.
- "Crusader" Citaro 5316 on service X66
- "Crusader" Citaro 5316 on service X66 (she was put on again after being taken off!)
- "Red Arrows" B7 3963 on service M3
- "The OK Way" MPD 571 on service 71
- "Northern" Cadet 8271 on service X7
Vosa today...

PB0002400/347 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted: Operating between Saltwell road Joseph Swan School and Dunston Kingsmeadow School given service number 846/856/866 effective from 01-Sep-2013. To amend Timetable.

PB0002400/454 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Winlaton Bus Station and Dunston Kingsmeadow School given service number 849 effective from 01-Sep-2013. To amend Timetable.

PB0003954/468 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Hexham Highford Park and Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station given service number 684 effective from 07-Sep-2013.

PB0003954/581 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: HEXHAM, HIGHFORD PARK
Finish Point: CORBRIDGE ,HILL STREET
Via:
Service Number: 687
Service Type: Normal Stopping/Hail & Ride
Effective Date: 08-SEP-2013
Other Details: Monday to Saturday (except public holidays )

PB0003954/582 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: HEXHAM, HIGHFORD PARK
Finish Point: NEWCASTLE, ELDON SQUARE BUS STATION
Via:
Service Number: X84
Service Type: Normal Stopping/Limited Stop/Hail & Ride
Effective Date: 08-SEP-2013
Other Details: Monday to Saturday ( except public holidays ) Sunday ( and public holidays )

Wonder if the X84 is a replacement for the 684 and the 687 looks like a new service.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Jul 2013, 6:22 pm)dans_bus_photos wrote Ive herd the X84 is to rival the 685 using the scania's off the ok1's

oooo interesting, hopefully if they brand it then its decent!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Jul 2013, 6:25 pm)Michael wrote
(17 Jul 2013, 6:22 pm)dans_bus_photos wrote Ive herd the X84 is to rival the 685 using the scania's off the ok1's

oooo interesting, hopefully if they brand it then its decent!

If it's going up Hexham way though, it might just end up as 'Tynedale Links' though. Then again, we'll have to wait and see.
Reporter
wonder if its gonna be a branded route im thinking Tynedale Links Express could possibly in regards to 685 it is now no longer operated by coaches for arriva its gonna be run by ominicities when ive been to newcastle it is always a pulsar or a ominicity i think these are ideal for 685 problem is it cannot use a decker but X84 should be a fine service
(17 Jul 2013, 7:07 pm)Cosminaut wrote wonder if its gonna be a branded route im thinking Tynedale Links Express could possibly in regards to 685 it is now no longer operated by coaches for arriva its gonna be run by ominicities when ive been to newcastle it is always a pulsar or a ominicity i think these are ideal for 685 problem is it cannot use a decker but X84 should be a fine service

I don't see how in terms of comfort how an omnicity is better than a coach. Arriva just had awful unreliable stock on the service
(17 Jul 2013, 9:00 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Shame this X84 isn't going to Carlisle otherwise I can't really how it can actually compete with the 685

It would be competing with the 685 between Newcastle and Hexham, to be honest IF it is to be run in direct competition i think it could do quite well considering the 685 has had some bad publicity lately regarding reliability issues etc
Is the 685 still joint operated by Arriva and Stagecoach?
If those two wanted the 685 to keep going - they would make sure it kept going.

Does anyone know current prices between the two points for comparison?
(17 Jul 2013, 9:43 pm)Andreos1 wrote Is the 685 still joint operated by Arriva and Stagecoach?
If those two wanted the 685 to keep going - they would make sure it kept going.

Does anyone know current prices between the two points for comparison?

It is still jointly worked - Arriva using 4 buses, Stagecoach using 2 (officially coaches but seems to be anything these days, especially as unlike the Arriva workings, Stagecoach have spilt the route to avoid requiring tachographs).
Its gonna run 7 days a week so i would say.. a hourly service between maybe 8-9 till 6?
Sundays - 9 till 6.
A friend tonight has said its gonna be ran by the OK scania's.. like Dan said earlier.
I just hope if they brand its not gonna be rubbish, think the brand will be based on the red and cream colour.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Jul 2013, 7:30 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Go North East used to run a 687 service along what appears to be a similar route as far as Corbridge.

http://www.travelnortheast.co.uk/downloa...84-687.pdf

It was when they first took over the Hexham depot. The 687 used to run between Horsley and Hexham via Corbridge. It was merged with the old 684 and one of the Hexham local services to create the current version of the 684. As you say, it looks like it's being separated into two separate routes with the 687 running as far as Corbridge. If the X84 is competing with the 685, then what does that mean for Wylam, Ovingham and Ovington? The 686 to Crawcrook then onto the 10?
I was wondering what Stagecoach were using, bearing in mind Arriva are using their 'newer' buses.

However, the times of the bus, will need to fit in with commuters (who will be the primary source of income) as well as ensuring a decent connection in Hexham with the local services.
If the service is running off early, or doesn't connect with a Tynedale Links bus, then passengers will stay with the alternatives.

Do Hexham have space in their depot for these Scanias?
Site Administrator
(17 Jul 2013, 9:57 pm)Andreos1 wrote Do Hexham have space in their depot for these Scanias?

I'm positive Hexham holds a few vehicles which are in line to be scrapped, so I'd assume they do have enough room!
Site Administrator
Full house at Saltmeadows today...

It seems Saltmeadows didn't do much work on 3964 yesterday, as she has been sanded down fully now and is awaiting repaint.
W859 and W862 Lolynes are at Saltmeadows, presumably to receive luggage racks rather than for maintenance.
Fab56 NK51OLG is a new one in at Saltmeadows, while the Laser and Prince Bishop still sit at the back.
NX 7103/JCN822 also at Meadows. Seems like there is one there every other day!
Red Arrows 6055 has just arrived - looks like the driver's cab window has been smashed.
SPD 8226 still there too.

Coaster 5264 expected to arrive later today. Prep should be completed today, repainted tomorrow and sent back tomorrow evening or on Saturday morning.
Site Administrator
Saltwell Park on the 51. Just left Gateshead
Highwayman on the 54 to cover for said Versa - at Gateshead now.
(17 Jul 2013, 9:57 pm)Andreos1 wrote I was wondering what Stagecoach were using, bearing in mind Arriva are using their 'newer' buses.

With the risk of going OT into other operators. Stagecoach still use Vovlo B10M's AFAIK. But other odd workings to pop up

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=ETIH31bCM-lyxM&tbnid=xz-7MhrkBjlh0M:&ved=0CAYQjhwwADgQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Femdjt42%2F6155817155%2F&ei=drDnUbXlJ8X70gXu24CABQ&psig=AFQjCNG3bLPCnSWy2H36lBqgBZjfF6lRfQ&ust=1374224886706290

And a Journal article about Arriva and the 'upgrade' to Omincities
http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-e...le-5069789

They say coaches can't cope. Which is true. The Arriva rust buckets can't. If they'd bought a decent coach (not necc true) they'd cope just fine.
Sunderland/Washington/Heworth and Newcastle Area

Yesterday I decided to Sunderland via Heworth using a Red/Purple Pass so I couldn't use the Metro and I decided go this way so I could a photo of Red Arrows Gemini 6006 on the M2/M3. To which I found after missing the 12:20 X3 to Sunderland and Instead of Waiting 30 Minutes for the X36 which takes 40 Minutes to Sunderland from Heworth, which would of lead to it taking an 70 Minutes from A to B, So I would of been in Sunderland for 13:30.

So instead of waiting 30 Minutes and Paying the extra in Metro Fare I got back on the M1 to Concord and got the 56 to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange which only took 45 Minutes, that 25 Minutes quicker due timing the changing of buses perfectly. this resulted in me arriving into Sunderland at 13:05 and a mere 5 minutes after the X3 in which I had missed at Heworth which I seen coming into Park Lane.

So I have found that it is just as quick if not quicker depending on traffic etc to get the M1 from Heworth to Concord and then the 56 from Concord to Sunderland instead of getting the X3 or waiting a further half hour for the X36.

So now i'm asking myself as passenger is the X3/X36 really that reliable as an Xpress Bus Service.

I'm going to take more of look at this area this afternoon and draw up a few service suggestions as I think the service really isn't that great to be honest. I have also posted this in the Service Suggestions also.
Its finding the balance between speed and generating enough revenue/custom to make the service viable.

They obviously feel Newcastle Road and North Sunderland is their best option, rather than sending anything direct via say the A19 and Felling Bypass (which would be quicker).

If enough people use the service point to point ie Park Lane to Newcastle, then it would be beneficial.
If the loadings are low from Park Lane, then the only other way to generate custom is for the service to operate as a local service upto a certain point and then an express for the rest of the journey.
(18 Jul 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Sunderland/Washington/Heworth and Newcastle Area

Yesterday I decided to Sunderland via Heworth using a Red/Purple Pass so I couldn't use the Metro and I decided go this way so I could a photo of Red Arrows Gemini 6006 on the M2/M3. To which I found after missing the 12:20 X3 to Sunderland and Instead of Waiting 30 Minutes for the X36 which takes 40 Minutes to Sunderland from Heworth, which would of lead to it taking an 70 Minutes from A to B, So I would of been in Sunderland for 13:30.

So instead of waiting 30 Minutes and Paying the extra in Metro Fare I got back on the M1 to Concord and got the 56 to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange which only took 45 Minutes, that 25 Minutes quicker due timing the changing of buses perfectly. this resulted in me arriving into Sunderland at 13:05 and a mere 5 minutes after the X3 in which I had missed at Heworth which I seen coming into Park Lane.

So I have found that it is just as quick if not quicker depending on traffic etc to get the M1 from Heworth to Concord and then the 56 from Concord to Sunderland instead of getting the X3 or waiting a further half hour for the X36.

So now i'm asking myself as passenger is the X3/X36 really that reliable as an Xpress Bus Service.

I'm going to take more of look at this area this afternoon and draw up a few service suggestions as I think the service really isn't that great to be honest. I have also posted this in the Service Suggestions also.

At present the X3 and X36 are heavily delayed in Sunderland due to St Marys realignment road works which are affecting traffic flows in and around Sunderland which will last for a few months at least

(18 Jul 2013, 1:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Its finding the balance between speed and generating enough revenue/custom to make the service viable.

They obviously feel Newcastle Road and North Sunderland is their best option, rather than sending anything direct via say the A19 and Felling Bypass (which would be quicker).

If enough people use the service point to point ie Park Lane to Newcastle, then it would be beneficial.
If the loadings are low from Park Lane, then the only other way to generate custom is for the service to operate as a local service upto a certain point and then an express for the rest of the journey.

When Go North East was doing the Sunderland North Estates proposal for the X36, I did mention in an email to GNE that there should do 4 expresses per hour on a 15 minute interval, have 1 bus as X3, 1 bus as proposed X36 and have the other 2 as X56 same route as 56 between Sunderland and Concord then direct from Concord to Heworth then Gateshead and Newcastle.

18/07/2013

"Saltwell Park" Versa 8295 was broken down in Heworth Interchange at approx 11.30 this morning. Although it was later seen working the 51/52 Orbit routes.

"Northern" branded SPD 8229 was also seen working the 53.

Seems like the Citylink bendies have been having major problems today. In addition to the usual Streetlite demonstrator, we also had;

"Northern" branded Vyking 3975 working the 58.
"Northern" branded Renown 4916 working the 58.
"Yellow Bus" branded Olympian 3833 working the 58. Picture below.

[Image: 9315839876_a1451aa864.jpg]
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(18 Jul 2013, 2:22 pm)cbma06 wrote
(18 Jul 2013, 1:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Its finding the balance between speed and generating enough revenue/custom to make the service viable.

When Go North East was doing the Sunderland North Estates proposal for the X36, I did mention in an email to GNE that there should do 4 expresses per hour on a 15 minute interval, have 1 bus as X3, 1 bus as proposed X36 and have the other 2 as X56 same route as 56 between Sunderland and Concord then direct from Concord to Heworth then Gateshead and Newcastle.

I agree, why there isn't an express service through that corridor is beyond me, the fact it took 45 Minutes instead of 70 Minutes to get from Heworth to Sunderland is quite amazing considering I had half hour wait for the X36. Even if got the Metro, that's about 25-30 Minutes from Heworth to Sunderland.
(18 Jul 2013, 4:15 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote
(18 Jul 2013, 2:22 pm)cbma06 wrote

I agree, why there isn't an express service through that corridor is beyond me, the fact it took 45 Minutes instead of 70 Minutes to get from Heworth to Sunderland is quite amazing considering I had half hour wait for the X36. Even if got the Metro, that's about 25-30 Minutes from Heworth to Sunderland.

The problem that I see is that it follows a Metro route. The majority of people who would use such a service through the day will most likely have a Metro Gold card. With that being the case I'd say they're more likely to use the Metro than a bus.

I'd personally love to see companies compete with the Metro, as I've been an annual ticket holder with GNE for the past 10 years. So I have to pay (a fortune) every time I want to use the Metro, unless it's a match day when I can use my Magpie mover.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Here are my Service Suggestions

Current Form
56 - Sunderland - Southwick - Concord - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead – Newcastle
73 - Sunderland – Teal Farm – Concord/Coach Road Estate – Washington

8 - Stanley - Beamish - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - Harraton - Washington - Waterview Park Hastings Hill - Chester Road – Sunderland
78/78A - Consett - Leadgate - Greencroft - Annfield Plain - Stanley - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - Great Lumley - Shiney Row - Hastings Hill - Chester Road - Sunderland
78A via Beamish / 78 via Craghead

X1 - Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle
X1A – Newcastle – Gateshead – Wrekenton – Springwell Village – Washington Galleries – Glebe - Fatfield – Harraton – Rickleton – Picktree Village

X3/X36 - Sunderland - Fulwell - Boldon - Heworth - Gateshead - Newcastle

New Form
56 - Sunderland - Southwick - Concord - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead – Newcastle
Every 20 Minutes
56A – Sunderland – Southwick – Nissan – Peel Retail Park – Barmston – Washington Village – Glebe – Washington Galleries – Oxlose - Blackfell - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead – Newcastle
Every 20 Minutes
X56 – Sunderland – Southwick – Concord – Usworth College – Heworth – Gateshead – Newcastle
Every 1 Hour

2B – Sunderland – Sunderland Enterprise Park – Waterview Park - Teal Farm – Peel Retail Park – Barmston – Washington Village – Washington Galleries – Albany – Concord – Usworth Sixth Form – Heworth – Gateshead – Newcastle
Every 30 Minutes Replacing Service 73 and would come under Silver Arrows Brand

8 - Stanley - Beamish - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - Harraton - Washington - Waterview Park Hastings Hill - Chester Road – Sunderland
8A - Consett - Leadgate - Greencroft - Annfield Plain - Stanley - Pelton – Chester-le-Street - Harraton - Washington - Waterview Park - Hastings Hill - Chester Road – Sunderland
Combined Every 15 Minutes

78 - Consett - Leadgate - Greencroft - Annfield Plain - Stanley - Pelton - Chester-le-Street - Great Lumley - Shiney Row - Hastings Hill - Chester Road – Sunderland
Every 15 Minutes

X1A – Newcastle – Gateshead – Heworth(922 Route to Washington Galleries) – Washington Galleries – Glebe - Fatfield – Harraton – Rickleton – Picktree Village – Chester le Street
Every 30 Minutes at Peak Times and Hourly During the Day

X3/X36 Stay in there current form minus possible departure changes from Eldon Square to Pilgrim Street or have them run a far as Heworth Only.