You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

RE: Go North East
Reading the posts on here, I'm almost happy with my DAF's judging by the state of the Sunderland allocation!
Couple of changes on VOSA today:

PB0002400/478 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Crook, Market Place and Bishop Auckland Bus Station given service number OK1 effective from 11-Aug-2013.

PB0002400/479 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Bishop Auckland Bus Station and Middlesbrough Bus Station given service number OK1 effective from 11-Aug-2013.

PB0002400/500 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA

Registration Accepted
Starting Point: CHESTER-LE-STREET RAILWAY STATION
Finish Point: CHESTER-LE-STREET, EMIRATES INTERNATIONAL CRICKET GROUND
Via:
Service Number: 502
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 09-AUG-2013
Other Details:

Site Administrator
Shocked at the cancellation of the OK1 service... The only logical thing I can come up with is that a variation of the route requires a new registration to be put in. I haven't used the OK1 all too often, but it's always had a fair amount of passengers when I've travelled on it!
It can't compete with the Arriva X1 though, sending it to Middlesbrough gave them a different USP but not enough to make enough revenue to keep it running I guess. The loadings are only ever decent beyond Darlington when the X66 is running late. I'm not certain of the loadings between Bishop and Darlington but I don't believe they're anything to shout about.
Wonder if they are going to have a go in another area? Bearing in mind Arriva are upping the ante with the Sapphire between Durham and Darlington.
(20 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm)tyresmoke wrote It can't compete with the Arriva X1 though, sending it to Middlesbrough gave them a different USP but not enough to make enough revenue to keep it running I guess. The loadings are only ever decent beyond Darlington when the X66 is running late. I'm not certain of the loadings between Bishop and Darlington but I don't believe they're anything to shout about.

When I used the OK1 2 months back going from Middlesbrough to Darlington the bus was half full. Then I got the OK1 an hour and a half later and there was 3 passengers including myself going from Darlington to Bishop Auckland.

Obviously the competition from the Arriva X1/X66 is too much for the OK1 to handle. I wonder what will happen with them Solars come August/September
In the past GNE have cancelled the route on VOSA to be completely replaced by another registration. This could be the case.

You never know, they might register a new route that see's the OK1 going to Whitby or somewhere on the coast.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(20 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm)tyresmoke wrote It can't compete with the Arriva X1 though, sending it to Middlesbrough gave them a different USP but not enough to make enough revenue to keep it running I guess. The loadings are only ever decent beyond Darlington when the X66 is running late. I'm not certain of the loadings between Bishop and Darlington but I don't believe they're anything to shout about.

Ive just sent an proposed suggestion awhile back about the short OK1 working between Bishop Auckland and Darlington to send it as a OK2 to Sunderland via Arriva 21 route.

I was in Peterlee bus station yesterday and the 21A came in and it got aload of passengers on and 10 minutes later the X7 came in to go to Middlesbrough and only a handful of passengers got on mostly all pensioners

Tyresmoke, Do you know what the loadings like on the Arriva 21 and if you did the 31/31A to Sunderland was there many passengers traveling through onto Sunderland?

501 has joined it to for the cricket.

PB0002400/501 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: LAMBTON PARK
Finish Point: CHESTER-LE-STREET, EMIRATES INTERNATIONAL CRICKET GROUND
Via:
Service Number: 501
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 09-AUG-2013
Other Details: To operate on 9th to 13th August 2013 inclusive and 31st August 2013

----
Gutted about the OK1 - Hopefully like in the past, these will be launched with a new route, i hope we don't loose them fully.

If so i wonder where the buses will go?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
If they are used elsewhere, hopefully they weill be sent somewhere suitable.
Anyone remember the Durham Pink Panthers working the streets of North Tyneside?
In my opinion, I think the poorly used OK1 will be scrapped, but the 18 will remain. The end of the OK1 in my opinion...
It's no wonder the OK1 is getting cancelled, suprised GNE haven't cancelled the X21 Between Bishop Auckland and Durham. Here is a list of services GNE have to compete with from Arriva in the Durham/Bishop Auckland/Darlington and Middlesbrough Area.

6 - Durham - Bishop Auckland - West Auckland – Cockfield
7 - Darlington - N. Aycliffe - Woodham - Ferryhill - Chilton – Durham
46 - Crook - Langley Moor – Durham
50 - Evenwood - Bishop Auckland - Willington – Durham
56,56a - Durham - Coxhoe - Ferryhill - Bishop Auckland
1,1b,X1 - Darlington - Bishop Auckland - Crook - Tow Law
21,21a - Darlington/Middlesbrough - Sedgefield - Trimdon Vill. - Peterlee
X66 - Darlington - Harrowgate Hill - Stockton - Middlesbrough
Speaking of the OK1, there was an OK1 Expressway on the 937 tonight at around 4.45ish, I got a picture but its pretty awful

Expect major issues to arise with the Angel, X22, Arriva's X2 and the Pronto next month and into September

Allerdene Bridge is getting emergency repairs which will see 5 weeks of closures on the Western Bypass by the Angel. The Northbound stretch will reduce from 3 lanes to 2 (and 1 off peak) and the Southbound will reduce to 1 lane. Its starting on 20th July and will take us to the end of August

At the same time, water and gas works in Birtley will see traffic lights and single lane traffic on Durham Road.

And by the time it's all finished, Durham Road will again be reduced to one lane each way through the centre of Birtley as works to accommodate the new Morrisons
I very much doubt gne will pull out of bishop auckland, arriva services in this area are nothing but dreadful. Service 6 runs to anything but its published timetable, 50 again never ontime. Service X1 is doing well only because they've combined 3 bus routes into 1 at the cost to passengers, (4 buses per hour to 2 between crook and bishop),, now gne have a new operations director who sees bishop as having massive expansion potential, and quite a few contracts are up for renewal in september, i think things in the wear valley will improve for gne.

Adam, gne do not compete with arriva on service 7, 50 or 46. X46 is for positioning purposes only, hence why only 2 out am and 1 (mon to friday) & 3 saturday. Gne will not cancel the X21 simply because loadings are very good, only see a drop when arriva have their bendy buses infront (thats 2 or 3 service 6s running together).
Northern Renown just came through Lambton at 00:30 on the Rhianna Concert Tour Extra 2C and it didn't sound very healthy at all. No idea on fleet no. as I was looking out of my bedroom window.
Site Administrator
(20 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Northern Renown just came through Lambton at 00:30 on the Rhianna Concert Tour Extra 2C and it didn't sound very healthy at all. No idea on fleet no. as I was looking out of my bedroom window.

That would be 4924. She was my journey home, but she was sounding fine then. Half an hour late after setting off from the Stadium early, but half an hour late nevertheless - carrying a full bus (all seats taken with quite a few standees)

Percy Main-based Lolyne 3858 (the one with the Vodafone advertisement) has returned to service after a period of being temporarily withdrawn. She served a duplicate 9 service to North Shields, following the Rihanna concert yesterday evening. I must admit that she still sounded unhealthy though, so I see this being the same as what happened last time (when she was on the 327 in February).

Also, two "Red Arrows" branded Geminis were on loan to Deptford yesterday evening for the Rihanna concert to work "Fab Fifty Six" service 56.

All Deptford-based Renowns were out yesterday, with very few Citaros.

"DFDS Seaways" branded President was on the short 9 service to Tyne Tunnel yesterday too. Not sure on fleet number, as I was a little wound up the 2C/78 were so late - esp. when I had to be up early today! :p
Site Administrator
8329 on 700s - as usual. They've managed to fix her side blind too so it isn't doubled up and flashy.

8273 is still in-service today, on 36As but expect her to be taken out of service and sent to Saltmeadows later today. She's at Park Lane now, so if the replacement/transfer does take place, likelihood is that 8272 will be out on that board for anyone wanting a photograph.
East Durham on 99 heading towards silksworth, just passed hospital.. think it was 522

8273 is still on 36A.. just seen it
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Jun 2013, 8:35 pm)nk55 wrote I very much doubt gne will pull out of bishop auckland, arriva services in this area are nothing but dreadful. Service 6 runs to anything but its published timetable, 50 again never ontime. Service X1 is doing well only because they've combined 3 bus routes into 1 at the cost to passengers, (4 buses per hour to 2 between crook and bishop),, now gne have a new operations director who sees bishop as having massive expansion potential, and quite a few contracts are up for renewal in september, i think things in the wear valley will improve for gne.

Adam, gne do not compete with arriva on service 7, 50 or 46. X46 is for positioning purposes only, hence why only 2 out am and 1 (mon to friday) & 3 saturday. Gne will not cancel the X21 simply because loadings are very good, only see a drop when arriva have their bendy buses infront (thats 2 or 3 service 6s running together).

I understand your point about the 6 being late, although it is rare to see a 6 running more than 12 minutes late. As for the service 50, it is extremely rare to see this service running late as the timetable does not allow for this. The route takes 1hr30 but it could be done in around an hour and therefore, I can't really see how it can run late.
Why on earth is the 99 a green mpd 506 or a 522 east Durham. Last time I looked Silksworth was in Sunderland not bloody Durham. Deptford are a joke at the minute putting the wrong brands on the wrong routes. What happened to the 99 red deckers
(21 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm)Acky81 wrote Why on earth is the 99 a green mpd 506 or a 522 east Durham. Last time I looked Silksworth was in Sunderland not bloody Durham. Deptford are a joke at the minute putting the wrong brands on the wrong routes. What happened to the 99 red deckers

No idea, they seem to be all over the place since the changes happened there's being quite a few repaints last few weeks, im hoping once we get the streetlite's will see the buses back to normal routes.

No idea what happened the deckers on the 99, maybe its still not getting the passengers it needs for decker, the one i seen was empty.

Also...atm, i have no idea where the Drifter versa's or going, we also have the spare simplicity versa's (once the streetlites arrive)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
PB0003954/222 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Newcastle and Blackhall Mill given service number 47 effective from 28-Jul-2013. To amend Timetable.

PB0003954/351 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between South Shields, Market and Newcastle, Market Street given service number 27/27A effective from 28-Jul-2013. To amend Timetable.

Couple of things on VOSA today
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
PB0002400/458 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Bishop Auckland Bus Station and Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station given service number X21 effective from 22-Jul-2013. To amend Route and Timetable.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Seriously 5151 is in desperate need of attention because everytime i have been on it the horrible sound of the cooling fan has always been on, sounds awful!!
(21 Jun 2013, 10:37 pm)Acky81 wrote 99 will be axed soon I think

Your not the only one, i don't think it will last.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.