You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

RE: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions
(26 Jan 2015, 5:31 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Also, to add to that, ADL are on Go-Ahead's "bad books" after the Oxford Bus Company's E400 MMCs were delivered late - meaning that probably all Go-Ahead companies may not be buying products from ADL.

You never know  Big Grin
Site Administrator
(26 Jan 2015, 5:33 pm)citaro5284 wrote You never know  Big Grin
Aren't Metrobus introducing about ten Enviro200s to their fleet later this year?
(26 Jan 2015, 5:31 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Also, to add to that, ADL are on Go-Ahead's "bad books" after the Oxford Bus Company's E400 MMCs were delivered late - meaning that probably all Go-Ahead companies may not be buying products from ADL.

Weren't Optare in Go Ahead's bad books for a while too, after the SimpliCity/Orbit Versa order for GNE? Means nowt really, as it's usually just used in industry to leverage a better discount for future orders and/or service.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
It doens't matter about bad books, I don't think GNE will want to have to pay Alpha to tow a B5, Streetdeck or Cummins E400 all the way back up from M.Boro to Riverside. The B9s haven't been perfect but they've done the job with other examples filling in to keep the B9s roadworthy or to make up delays.
We don't know what the B5TL is like on a day to day basis yet on a typical GNE service. The 3 week trial of BF63 HDC wouldn't have given us or GNE a real idea on how reliable they would be on a day to day basis. Just because it has a smaller engine, i think it would be wrong to assume that they'd break down a lot as Davey is suggesting.
I recall my ride on BF63 HDC during its X21 trials, from Chester-le-Street to Durham.

It didn't have much oomph as I recall, and felt a bit like an Angel B5HL, but the engine was a lot more noticeable.

I'm no expert, so I really can't pass comment other than - I think they wouldn't do bad on the X21.
(26 Jan 2015, 9:46 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I recall my ride on BF63 HDC during its X21 trials, from Chester-le-Street to Durham.

It didn't have much oomph as I recall, and felt a bit like an Angel B5HL, but the engine was a lot more noticeable.

I'm no expert, so I really can't pass comment other than - I think they wouldn't do bad on the X21.

Is that the Chester-le-St word for power?
(26 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm)Robert wrote We don't know what the B5TL is like on a day to day basis yet on a typical GNE service. The 3 week trial of BF63 HDC wouldn't have given us or GNE a real idea on how reliable they would be on a day to day basis. Just because it has a smaller engine, i think it would be wrong to assume that they'd break down a lot as Davey is suggesting.

They should've based it at Hexham on a full 10 board in comparison with a B9TL. 
(26 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote They should've based it at Hexham on a full 10 board in comparison with a B9TL. 

That would give quite a strong indication. They could have done the same with the Fab56, Cobalt Clipper, TTX, or Red Arrows.
(26 Jan 2015, 7:30 pm)aureolin wrote Weren't Optare in Go Ahead's bad books for a while too, after the SimpliCity/Orbit Versa order for GNE? Means nowt really, as it's usually just used in industry to leverage a better discount for future orders and/or service.

All MMCs have been delivered late so far. It's a new model so teething problems can be expected.
(27 Jan 2015, 11:33 am)Scott wrote All MMCs have been delivered late so far. It's a new model so teething problems can be expected.
I disagree. When you're spending that sort of money, you expect no problems.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Just a little prediction from me, I noticed that the Blinds on 5320-24 are Programmed as Blue for the 61, whereas previously they were in fact purple as shown in the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...911496376/ - Secondly on a Sunday as a result of Services Changes in Sunderland on Sunday just gone, the 60 and 61 both Interwork with each other meaning that the Drifter Streetlites are allocated to the 61, therefore I think Four Streetlites have been ordered for the 61 and it will rejoin the Drifter Brand, and the allocation of 5320-24 is only Temporary.

As for Double Deckers which seems to be a Topical Debate at the moment, from looking at the Specifications of both the Streetdeck and Gemini/B5TL, Id say the Streetdeck would be the better option otherwise purchase the E400 MMC.
(27 Jan 2015, 11:48 am)Malarkey wrote Just a little prediction from me, I noticed that the Blinds on 5320-24 are Programmed as Blue for the 61, whereas previously they were in fact purple as shown in the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...911496376/ - Secondly on a Sunday as a result of Services Changes in Sunderland on Sunday just gone, the 60 and 61 both Interwork with each other meaning that the Drifter Streetlites are allocated to the 61, therefore I think Four Streetlites have been ordered for the 61 and it will rejoin the Drifter Brand, and the allocation of 5320-24 is only Temporary.

As for Double Deckers which seems to be a Topical Debate at the moment, from looking at the Specifications of both the Streetdeck and Gemini/B5TL, Id say the Streetdeck would be the better option otherwise purchase the E400 MMC.

I agree with you. Would certainly make sense. 
If Streelites are order for the 61, they could also be ordered for the X66 and I reckon the Lime. 
(27 Jan 2015, 11:48 am)Malarkey wrote Just a little prediction from me, I noticed that the Blinds on 5320-24 are Programmed as Blue for the 61, whereas previously they were in fact purple as shown in the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...911496376/ - Secondly on a Sunday as a result of Services Changes in Sunderland on Sunday just gone, the 60 and 61 both Interwork with each other meaning that the Drifter Streetlites are allocated to the 61, therefore I think Four Streetlites have been ordered for the 61 and it will rejoin the Drifter Brand, and the allocation of 5320-24 is only Temporary.

Slightly off topic, but still relating to blinds.

Noticed a Loylne on the X25 yesterday - with just Newcastle as the destination.
The scrolling part, had Eldon Square, via ....

Like the two other posts today, no doubt someone will state it has been like that for ages, is normal etc Wink
Never noticed it prior to yesterday.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(27 Jan 2015, 3:40 pm)Andreos1 wrote Slightly off topic, but still relating to blinds.

Noticed a Loylne on the X25 yesterday - with just Newcastle as the destination.
The scrolling part, had Eldon Square, via ....

Like the two other posts today, no doubt someone will state it has been like that for ages, is normal etc Wink
Never noticed it prior to yesterday.

yeah I think that's normal Wink I'm pretty sure the Red Arrows have it as well.

Good idea, i would hope so however to make the PVR for weekdays they'll need 5 Smile
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just but a blue background on which was like when they were on the Silver Arrows with the blue writing on the brand.
(26 Jan 2015, 9:46 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I recall my ride on BF63 HDC during its X21 trials, from Chester-le-Street to Durham.

I drove the B5 demonstrator on the X21, and it didn't impress me at all.

It didn't have enough poke to get it to a reasonable pace going north on the A1(M) or south on the A167 past Plawsworth, but I suspected that perhaps it was set up for Lothian. 

Unfortunately, small engines with massive turbos strapped to the top of them are the future of buses, in order to comply with emission regulations. 
(27 Jan 2015, 7:23 pm)RGR756V wrote I drove the B5 demonstrator on the X21, and it didn't impress me at all.

It didn't have enough poke to get it to a reasonable pace going north on the A1(M) or south on the A167 past Plawsworth, but I suspected that perhaps it was set up for Lothian. 

Unfortunately, small engines with massive turbos strapped to the top of them are the future of buses, in order to comply with emission regulations. 

Yeah, I agree with what you say in regards to it being set up for Lothian. I recall it was on the 27..? up there and I imagine it was done for city work.

Bit like anything coming up from London - they've spent their lives so far on busy main roads in city centres and the only time they'll have seen a motorway was when they were being delivered! lol

I mean, I only had it from Chester to a Durham - didn't have it all the way from Bishop Auckland to Newcastle like you experienced, Stu. And I don't know if I posted it or not, but we had a bit of an incident just south of the Red Lion at Plawsworth - I'll try and track down the post.
(27 Jan 2015, 7:23 pm)RGR756V wrote I drove the B5 demonstrator on the X21, and it didn't impress me at all.

Scania still offer a 9 litre 250bhp engine at Euro 6 on the E400MMC body. I strongly think GNE will go with ADL bodywork for deckers and even though the Cummins is no good for long distance / express work, it would be ideal for the likes of the Crusader and even the Angel when the B5LH's whave had their day if not ordering for the two purposes described above. 
The Hybrids have as much oomph on them as a knackered Dyson hoover with a coin wedged in it.
(27 Jan 2015, 9:43 pm)gtom wrote The Hybrids have as much oomph on them as a knackered Dyson hoover with a coin wedged in it.

Haha they are pretty awful like!
(27 Jan 2015, 9:44 pm)Tom wrote Haha they are pretty awful like!

I just feel the drivers pain on the A167 when he wants to oomph it and it just trundles along (complete with rattling metal CCTV screen)

Then whatever's on the X2 (even the Prestiges at one point) go racing past you can feel the deep sense of shame.

Sadly think us Angelic types are stuck with our Hybrids for some time
Don't like the Volvo B5LH at all and I with the exception of the Cummins ISB (depending on use), I don't like any other small engines. If GNE wanted lightweight deckers across the board, they would've opted for the DB300 over the B9TL so I can certainly see GNE buying the Scania Euro 6 MMC.
Site Administrator
Think the Volvo Hybrids serve their purpose on the Angel, if I'm honest. The start-stop nature of the route means that the buses are never going too fast to start with.

Let's not forget that, if Go North East so wished, they could have opted for Volvo B9TLs at the same price they got the Volvo B5LHs for. The Green Bus Fund made up the difference between a Volvo B9TL and a Volvo B5LH. They clearly thought the Hybrid would cope (and I'd argue they do cope?)

Can't deny that, as an enthusiast, I would have a Volvo B9 over a Volvo B5 every day of the week, but if it got them some good PR..!
(27 Jan 2015, 9:54 pm)Dan wrote Think the Volvo Hybrids serve their purpose on the Angel, if I'm honest. The start-stop nature of the route means that the buses are never going too fast to start with.

Let's not forget that, if Go North East so wished, they could have opted for Volvo B9TLs at the same price they got the Volvo B5LHs for. The Green Bus Fund made up the difference between a Volvo B9TL and a Volvo B5LH. They clearly thought the Hybrid would cope (and I'd argue they do cope?)

Can't deny that, as an enthusiast, I would have a Volvo B9 over a Volvo B5 every day of the week, but if it got them some good PR..!

Yeah I think they are okay for most of the route as between Newcastle and Chester it is very stop, start so it doesn't get up to much speed, especially in Birtley with the 20mph speed limit, it's just the bit between Chester and Pity Me and a bit of Low Fell near the Angel where it has to go down at 50mph limit and part of the being national limit. I don't think they are that bad although I'd much sooner opt for the X2 or X21 although this is more for the faster journey time.
Site Administrator
(27 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm)Jimmi wrote Yeah I think they are okay for most of the route as between Newcastle and Chester it is very stop, start so it doesn't get up to much speed, especially in Birtley with the 20mph speed limit, it's just the bit between Chester and Pity Me and a bit of Low Fell near the Angel where it has to go down at 50mph limit and part of the being national limit. I don't think they are that bad although I'd much sooner opt for the X2 or X21 although this is more for the faster journey time.

Durham - Chester, I can't imagine many having a preference.
Durham - Newcastle, the preference will be the X21 given the faster journey time.

Nowt to do with them not having any oomph though Tongue