You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Marxista Fozzski
RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions
(03 Mar 2015, 10:47 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Wouldn't have the X10 serving Dalton Park like. Gets enough delays as it is.
I agree, it can be a pain in the arse when DP is busy, but my idea is based on the assumption that Dalton Park will have better access in the next year or two when the new build is completed
(25 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Very unlikely to happen, but I've been thinking about a service between Newcastle and Darlington. I am aware Go North East left Darlington territory years ago, and it may be suited to Arriva, seeing as they have the majority of services in Darlington, but I still think it could work. It would basically be a bit similar to the 723 Newcastle-Darlington service from 'the olden days' Wink.

NEWCASTLE, ELDON SQUARE -           00      30
Gateshead Transport Interchange -            10      40
Chester-le-Street Front Street -                  30      50
Framwellgate Moor, The Salutation -           44      14
Durham Bus Station -                             50      20
Ferryhill Bus Station -                                  05      35
DARLINGTON TUBWELL ROW -            25      55

DARLINGTON TUBWELL ROW -             30      00
Ferryhill Bus Station -                                   50      20
Durham Bus Station -                              05      35
Framwellgate Moor, The Salutation -             11     41
Chester-le-Street Front Street -                   25     55
Gateshead Transport Interchange -             45     15
NEWCASTLE, ELDON SQUARE -            55     25

The combined PVR of the new service would be 6.

I understand people could easily get a 21/X21/X2, etc from Newcastle to Durham then the 7 to Darlington, but it would be roughly 1 hour on the 21, 50 minutes on the X2 and around the same on the X21, plus another hour and 9 minutes on the Sapphire 7 service to Darlington. So a total of roughly (hoping the timings work) 1h 25m from Newcastle to Darlington, via Gateshead, Chester-le-Street and Durham. 

The drivers would get a 5 minute layover at each terminus point, and would be operated by Chester-le-Street.

isn't that the 723 were withdrawn the full route due to congestion and reliability issues and also cant compete against the train service between Darlington and Newcastle, anybody who wants to do the Newcastle to Darlington by bus then travel on Arriva service X2 then service 7.

(03 Mar 2015, 10:41 pm)MrFozz wrote I am thinking 1-2 years down the line here and on the assumption access to Dalton Park will be improved when Phase 2 is built...Suggesting modifications to present routes and new ones

New Service X8
Sunderland-Seaham-Dalton Park-Peterlee-Hartlepool...Running a combined half hourly service alongside X7

Modified X10
As present, only popping into Dalton Park

New Service X11
Newcastle-Heworth-A19-Seaton Lane-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton Station

New 62
Same as 61 to Woods Terrace, new 62 would go round the opposite way to the 61 and they would interwork

It opens up links to Tyneside and Teesside and links to Hartlepool

Nice suggestions, I would like to see the East Durham services expanded at some point in time, GNE said that their will see what the demand is like after Phase 2 is complete.

Phase 1 was the original build
Phase 2 the extension
Phase 3 laying the road for the Murton Bypass between A19 slip road roundabout to the roundabout east of Easington Lane.

cant see them running the 62 service, as GNE wanted a simply layout of service round Murton to stop confussing their passengers.

If the X9 or X10 serves Dalton Park then it would need at least an extra bus and the running time would be longer between Middlesbrough and Newcastle which would not be in favour for the passengers.

(04 Mar 2015, 9:43 am)cbma06 wrote isn't that the 723 were withdrawn the full route due to congestion and reliability issues and also cant compete against the train service between Darlington and Newcastle, anybody who wants to do the Newcastle to Darlington by bus then travel on Arriva service X2 then service 7.

Yeah reliability was probably one of the things that killed off the old 723.

I would love to have a direct service to Newcastle again but that said the Darlington - Durham section has improved since the Newcastle end was binned, think when that section was killed off the Arriva 723 continued to run every 30 minutes but only as far as Framwellgate Moor and Go North East did the 723 between Durham and Newcastle. Sometime after the GNE 723 was withdrawn.

The 723 was changed to run via Woodham when the 13 was withdrawn.

Then as part of the Viva Durham changes the 723 was extended to the Arnison Centre and the 713 was also introduced so now had a Darlington - Arnison Centre service every 15 minutes. The 713/723 were renumbered as 7/7A in July 2008.

Then the 7 terminated at Framwellgate Moor and the 7A was extended to Brasside.

Then in October 2012 it became just service 7 running every 15 minutes between Darlington and Durham Bus Station only and Framwellgate Moor is now only served at peak times.

So I think I prefer to have a service to Durham every 15 minutes then change to a X2 or 21/X21 when I occasionally head to Newcastle whereas in the old 723 days there was only a bus every 30 minutes and was joint operated by Arriva and Go North East and I don't think GNE accepted Arriva tickets on their 723 so that was always a pain in the arse. Much happier with a 15 minute frequency to Durham and I highly doubt I would have gone to New College Durham if it was still the old 723.
Marxista Fozzski
(04 Mar 2015, 9:52 am)cbma06 wrote Nice suggestions, I would like to see the East Durham services expanded at some point in time, GNE said that their will see what the demand is like after Phase 2 is complete.

Phase 1 was the original build
Phase 2 the extension
Phase 3 laying the road for the Murton Bypass between A19 slip road roundabout to the roundabout east of Easington Lane.

cant see them running the 62 service, as GNE wanted a simply layout of service round Murton to stop confussing their passengers.

If the X9 or X10 serves Dalton Park then it would need at least an extra bus and the running time would be longer between Middlesbrough and Newcastle which would not be in favour for the passengers.
Suppose thats what you get when routes were streamlined and merged, I think GNE made a mess when they withdrew the 65 from Cornwall Estate, it was not the most lucrative part of the route by a mile, but was still used...Currently the unused bus stops say 'No Services at Present' which to me says all is not lost, and something could happen in future in regards to Cornwall Estate, re-introduce the 265 or 202...

Again about Dalton Park, it is on the assumption that access will be improved, it is in awkward place and access to it is not good to say the least. If that road to nowhere behind it could be put to some use that would be good surely, but I suppose it's position off the A19 will always be a hindrance
Marxista Fozzski
(04 Mar 2015, 10:03 am)Jimmi wrote Yeah reliability was probably one of the things that killed off the old 723.

I would love to have a direct service to Newcastle again but that said the Darlington - Durham section has improved since the Newcastle end was binned, think when that section was killed off the Arriva 723 continued to run every 30 minutes but only as far as Framwellgate Moor and Go North East did the 723 between Durham and Newcastle. Sometime after the GNE 723 was withdrawn.

Then as part of the Viva Durham changes the 723 was extended to the Arnison Centre and the 713 was also introduced so now had a Darlington - Arnison Centre service every 15 minutes. The 713/723 were renumbered as 7/7A in July 2008.

Then in October 2012 it became just service 7 running every 15 minutes between Darlington and Durham Bus Station only and Framwellgate Moor is now only served at peak times.

So I think I prefer to have a service to Durham every 15 minutes then change to a X2 or 21/X21 when I occasionally head to Newcastle whereas in the old 723 days there was only a bus every 30 minutes and was joint operated by Arriva and Go North East and I don't think GNE accepted Arriva tickets on their 723 so that was always a pain in the arse. Much happier with a 15 minute frequency to Durham and I highly doubt I would have gone to New College Durham if it was still the old 723.

They did sometimes, I always found it depended on the driver, I travelled on Northern/GNE many times with a United/Arriva Return and vice versa, I always found it was down to if the driver was in a good mood
(04 Mar 2015, 10:35 am)MrFozz wrote They did sometimes, I always found it depended on the driver, I travelled on Northern/GNE many times with a United/Arriva Return and vice versa, I always found it was down to if the driver was in a good mood

I don't really remember this as I will have only been young but we'd often seem to end up with a GNE bus turn up on the journey home and would often have to pay again, wait for the next one or from Durham Bus Station get service 13 home which used to run via EVERYWHERE (Bowburn and Coxhoe being some stops on that route).
(04 Mar 2015, 10:03 am)Jimmi wrote Yeah reliability was probably one of the things that killed off the old 723.

GNE kept Durham to Newcastle 723, then GNE decided to get rid of the 700 series of numbers on the chester corridor and merge everything into a service 21.

Arriva had the 723 Durham to Darlington, and had the X21 branded mpds between Durham and Newcastle then a (X41?) but then deciding to get the passengers use the X1 Newcastle to Durham then transfer onto their 723/713.

Theirs not many joint services around these days, service 231 went to GNE and then cut up in little pieces, and service 230 went into the hands of Arriva.

(04 Mar 2015, 10:59 am)cbma06 wrote GNE kept Durham to Newcastle 723, then GNE decided to get rid of the 700 series of numbers on the chester corridor and merge everything into a service 21.

Arriva had the 723 Durham to Darlington, and had the X21 branded mpds between Durham and Newcastle then a (X41?) but then deciding to get the passengers use the X1 Newcastle to Durham then transfer onto their 723/713.

Theirs not many joint services around these days, service 231 went to GNE and then cut up in little pieces, and service 230 went into the hands of Arriva.

Yeah I believe there was the X41 at some point which I think ran from Durham to Newcastle via Newton Hall and I can't remember how many journeys it ran for it's whole existence but towards the end I think it did two journeys a day and would often be allocated MCW Metrobuses as I think it ran off one of the Durham Johnston School runs.
17 - Wallsend - Redesdale Park - Benton Asda - Forest Hall - Killingworth - Dudley - Cramlington - Bedlington - Stakefold - Ashington

Revised Service 17 will operate Every 30 Minutes from Wallsend to Ashington

19 - Ashington - Stakeford - Bedlington - Cramlington - Seaton Delaval - Holywell - Northumberland Park - Cobalt - Silverlink - Percy Main - Royal Quays - North Shields - Preston Grange - North Tyneside Hospital - Whitley Bay

Service 19 would be extended from North Shields to Whitley Bay via Preston Grange and North Tyneside Hospital replacing Service 17/17A along with covering the loss of Service at Royal Quays, this would result in an increase in Frequency to operate up to Every 20 Minutes across the entire Route.

41 - Kibblesworth - Team Valley Sainsburys - Harlow Green - Low Fell - Saltwell Road - Bensham - Gateshead - Newcastle City Centre - Byker - Wallsend - Holy Cross - Rosehill - Howdon - Hadrian Park - Middle Engine Lane - Cobalt - New York - North Tyneside Hospital - Billy Mill - Hawkeys Lane - North Shields 

42 -  Kibblesworth - Team Valley Sainsburys - Team Valley - Bensham - Gateshead - Newcastle City Centre - Byker - Wallsend - Station Road - High Farm - Battle Hill Drive - Hadrian Park - Middle Engine Lane - Cobalt - New York - North Tyneside Hospital - Billy Mill - Hawkeys Lane - North Shields 

Nexus Service 29 Withdrawn and Merged with Services 40/41 which would also merge with Service 80, providing New and Existing Links at a combined frequency of Every 15 Minutes, The revised 41 will also partially replace Service 17 by operating through Holy Cross.
The X40 is already going as a Q3 in July, when GNE take over the Quaylink on a commercial bases.

Not sure on full details yet though... last info which was posted was:
The Q2 and the Q3 will interwork and both running every 20 mins.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(08 Mar 2015, 11:21 pm)Malarkey wrote 17 - Wallsend - Redesdale Park - Benton Asda - Forest Hall - Killingworth - Dudley - Cramlington - Bedlington - Stakeford - Ashington

Revised Service 17 will operate Every 30 Minutes from Wallsend to Ashington

19 - Ashington - Stakeford - Bedlington - Cramlington - Seaton Delaval - Holywell - Northumberland Park - Cobalt - Silverlink - Percy Main - Royal Quays - North Shields - Preston Grange - North Tyneside Hospital - Whitley Bay

Service 19 would be extended from North Shields to Whitley Bay via Preston Grange and North Tyneside Hospital replacing Service 17/17A along with covering the loss of Service at Royal Quays, this would result in an increase in Frequency to operate up to Every 20 Minutes across the entire Route.

41 - Kibblesworth - Team Valley Sainsburys - Harlow Green - Low Fell - Saltwell Road - Bensham - Gateshead - Newcastle City Centre - Byker - Wallsend - Holy Cross - Rosehill - Howdon - Hadrian Park - Middle Engine Lane - Cobalt - New York - North Tyneside Hospital - Billy Mill - Hawkeys Lane - North Shields 

42 -  Kibblesworth - Team Valley Sainsburys - Team Valley - Bensham - Gateshead - Newcastle City Centre - Byker - Wallsend - Station Road - High Farm - Battle Hill Drive - Hadrian Park - Middle Engine Lane - Cobalt - New York - North Tyneside Hospital - Billy Mill - Hawkeys Lane - North Shields 

Nexus Service 29 Withdrawn and Merged with Services 40/41 which would also merge with Service 80, providing New and Existing Links at a combined frequency of Every 15 Minutes, The revised 41 will also partially replace Service 17 by operating through Holy Cross.

I wouldn't even bother extending the 17 to Ashington, it's a loss-making service, it's still going because Go Smarter [Up Your Ar*e] funds it.

In my observations, it's only been bus pass holders shuttling between the Half Moon, Elephant and Milburn Road to the bus station. Only once have I seen a regular passenger on that service.

And hang on, every 20 minutes along the 17 and the 19 routes? That'll leave GNE in more sh!te than the OK1.
(09 Mar 2015, 4:59 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote I wouldn't even bother extending the 17 to Ashington, it's a loss-making service, it's still going because Go Smarter [Up Your Ar*e] funds it.

In my observations, it's only been bus pass holders shuttling between the Half Moon, Elephant and Milburn Road to the bus station. Only once have I seen a regular passenger on that service.

And hang on, every 20 minutes along the 17 and the 19 routes? That'll leave GNE in more sh!te than the OK1.

Are you angry by any chance Tommy  Wink
(09 Mar 2015, 5:04 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Are you angry by any chance Tommy  Wink

Nope.

Try the 19 out for yourself, Lee. On average there's 2 conc holders arriving in Ashington on every journey.

If the 19 runs every 20 mins, that means an average of 0.66666666666 passengers will use the service.
(09 Mar 2015, 5:11 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Nope.

Try the 19 out for yourself, Lee. On average there's 2 conc holders arriving in Ashington on every journey.

If the 19 runs every 20 mins, that means an average of 0.66666666666 passengers will use the service.

I was being sarcastic Tommy
Also there is no available stand for the 17 and 19 to use in Ashington bus station for the 20-30 minute frequency which Adam has proposed. I can only think of the eastbound Nisa bus stop which is opposite the current 35 Morpeth stand.
(09 Mar 2015, 5:14 pm)citaro5284 wrote He just wants Arriva to run everything in Ashington, and not get in the way in the Bus Station Lee..... Tongue

Wipe that sMERC of your face. Tongue

I'm fine with Phoenix operating the 30.
However, GNE are going to lose money on Ashington routes if Go Smarter [Up Your Ar*e] stop funding.
(09 Mar 2015, 5:15 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote I know you were Wink

Don't get any jam on the seats when you go on the 19, mind... Tongue

Haha, it's fine, I've ate all my doughnuts  Big Grin
(09 Mar 2015, 4:59 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote I wouldn't even bother extending the 17 to Ashington, it's a loss-making service, it's still going because Go Smarter [Up Your Ar*e] funds it.

Right ok, we will now have the 17 run Between Wallsend and Benton Asda only using a Nexus Solo SR with it being a Loss making Service, and we have the 19 operate Every 20 Minutes to Cramlington and Every 30 onwards to Ashington as it is currently, sound any better Tommy_1581, and what do you think of my other Suggestions.
(09 Mar 2015, 9:22 pm)Malarkey wrote Right ok, we will now have the 17 run Between Wallsend and Benton Asda only using a Nexus Solo SR with it being a Loss making Service, and we have the 19 operate Every 20 Minutes to Cramlington and Every 30 onwards to Ashington as it is currently, sound any better Tommy_1581, and what do you think of my other Suggestions.

The 17 is quite busy between Wallsend and Benton ASDA at times, so a Solo SR wouldn't be big enough.
(09 Mar 2015, 9:23 pm)Tom wrote The 17 is quite busy between Wallsend and Benton ASDA at times, so a Solo SR wouldn't be big enough.

If the Quaylink services receive new investment the versas might go on the 17
(09 Mar 2015, 9:25 pm)Davie wrote If the Quaylink services receive new investment the versas might go on the 17
More than likely with 8328/29 transferring to Riverside for use on the X40, These will then join 8310 to 8318 in being Repainted and Rebranded when the Q3 is introduced, highly doubt there will be any new vehicles for the Quaylink Network, 17 will likely get cascades from elsewhere to replace the former Oxford Dual Door Renowns.
(09 Mar 2015, 9:23 pm)Tom wrote The 17 is quite busy between Wallsend and Benton ASDA at times, so a Solo SR wouldn't be big enough.
Would a Cadet be more justifiable then, just that whenever I have seen the 17 whether that be in Wallsend or North Shields it has been carrying fresh air.
(09 Mar 2015, 9:33 pm)Malarkey wrote Would a Cadet be more justifiable then, just that whenever I have seen the 17 whether that be in Wallsend or North Shields it has been carrying fresh air.

I can assure you it doesn't carry fresh air all of the time.

A Cadet would probably be justifiable yes.
(09 Mar 2015, 9:22 pm)Malarkey wrote Right ok, we will now have the 17 run Between Wallsend and Benton Asda only using a Nexus Solo SR with it being a Loss making Service, and we have the 19 operate Every 20 Minutes to Cramlington and Every 30 onwards to Ashington as it is currently, sound any better Tommy_1581, and what do you think of my other Suggestions.

I'll check to see if there's any available slots in the stands in the bus station, and I'll get back to you wih some times.

Stands A & B can't be used due to the frequency and the reliability of the Newcastle services. C may be used, only if the driver parks in a reasonable manner and puts effort into parking which may involve reversing the vehicle or asking the driver to loop around the block if the supervisor deems it necessary to keep Arriva services to time.  

Stand D can't also be used due to the same reason as A&B. Stand E can't be used due to accessibility reasons.

Stand G may be used if services are timed correctly.
19: As Cramlington to Ashington journeys hardly carry any passengers. Service 19 will run to Morpeth via Stannington and Clifton.

56: Frequency reduced to every 20 minutes.

X56: New. Sunderland - A19 - Testo's - A1231? - Gateshead - Newcastle every 20 minutes.