You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Tyne and Wear Metro

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro
I passed the 'SouthTyneside.info' liveried metrocar just south of the A68 jct at Darlington a short while back.
Presumably heading to Doncaster.

No idea of fleet number.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 Mar 2015, 4:20 pm)Tom wrote I don't think 4001 is getting refurbished, or remaining in service.

I mean the other metrocars not 4001 Tom. I was using it as a comparison 
(11 Mar 2015, 4:35 pm)Tom wrote I've heard they aren't getting refurbished.
The corrosion is that bad on the units, they aren't going to remain in service.

On an almost daily basis...

"Delays due to train withdrawn from service"

Would these have been the trains or are two of the refurbs to blame?
(11 Mar 2015, 4:35 pm)Tom wrote I've heard they aren't getting refurbished.
The corrosion is that bad on the units, they aren't going to remain in service.

Well what about the already refurbished metrocars 
A refurbished metro was at Washington services northbound on a1(m) yesterday. I pulled into southbound to change an indicator bulb. People were looking at me like I was crazy!
4001/2  are not being refurbished , they were the prototypes and for quite a while after the rest of the fleet were in service they were restricted to working with each other, even now the door opening buttons are different to the rest.
I think that two of the production units are also to remain unrefurbished
(12 Mar 2015, 9:06 pm)Coppercap40 wrote 4001/2  are not being refurbished , they were the prototypes and for quite a while after the rest of the fleet were in service they were restricted to working with each other, even now the door opening buttons are different to the rest.
I think that two of the production units are also to remain unrefurbished

This is correct, due to worse than anticipated corrison issues, the metrocar refurbishment budget went up therefore the 2 prototypes and 2 other units are not planned to get refurbished as originally planned. 

the future for the unrefurbished units does remain rather sketchy. 
(13 Mar 2015, 7:13 am)Dan wrote The "torrential" rain this morning appears to be causing delays...

Now heres me thinking its gonna flood, u know with all the "rain" we've got!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
If the metro goes down, and bus companies are accepting metro tickets... do they get money for it from NEXUS?

They could claim they're missing out on money on the route.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 Mar 2015, 7:25 am)Michael wrote Now heres me thinking its gonna flood, u know with all the "rain" we've got!

It seems it isn't just the Metro affected by the weather.
GNE have tweeted, that the V8 can't serve Castleside and is terminating short due to the weather conditions.

There must be floods up there too Wink
Site Administrator
(13 Mar 2015, 7:54 am)Michael wrote If the metro goes down, and bus companies are accepting metro tickets... do they get money for it from NEXUS?

They could claim they're missing out on money on the route.
They certainly do!

(13 Mar 2015, 8:01 am)Andreos1 wrote It seems it isn't just the Metro affected by the weather.
GNE have tweeted, that the V8 can't serve Castleside and is terminating short due to the weather conditions.

There must be floods up there too Wink
It's snowing in Consett, actually.
Site Administrator
(13 Mar 2015, 8:15 am)aureolin wrote It's been really bad this morning. Lashing down in Coxhoe about 5am .
I was up from half 5 this morning - hardly a drop of rain in Sunderland and by the time I got to Gateshead at half 7 it was exactly the same!
(13 Mar 2015, 8:15 am)aureolin wrote It's been really bad this morning. Lashing down in Coxhoe about 5am .

Amazing how in what is a relatively short distance, there is heavy rain, snow, drizzle etc.
Drove through about 3 different weather systems this morning and I know it was really heavy rain at home for a good few hours in the early part of the morning.

Just shows that despite there not being much rain in Sunderland, there could be weather related issues just up the road (or line), affecting the entire infrastructure.
Have all of the Metros been fitted with the new announcements.
Can't remember any of the refurbished examples having them.
I like how they say ''Next Station is Howdon. Take care if using the level crossing''.
Site Administrator
(15 Mar 2015, 2:45 pm)Tom wrote Have all of the Metros been fitted with the new announcements.
Can't remember any of the refurbished examples having them.
I like how they say ''Next Station is Howdon. Take care if using the level crossing''.

No - only a select few have the new announcements.
(15 Mar 2015, 2:46 pm)Dan wrote No - only a select few have the new announcements.

Ah okay.
It's a shame as they are much better than the women.
There are delays of up to 25 mins to trains running between Benton and South Shields due to a operational issue. Please leave extra time for your journey.
(15 Mar 2015, 2:47 pm)Tom wrote Ah okay.
It's a shame as they are much better than the women.

Was originally 4064 & 4038 but 4015 had them when I was on it yesterday albeit very quiet.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Reading some of the questions on the Tyne and Wear Facebook page - which they promise to answer...

Seem's trains won't be replaced till 2025.

Here is the full reply: 

painting stations is part of the station refurbishment plan to improve the environment for passengers. The fleet is going through a 3/4 life refurbishment and we are looking at ways of improving reliability of trains. The fleet is due to be replaced in 2025. Nexus are currently preparing a case to government to get funding for a new fleet.

WHY WEREN'T THEY REPLACED BEFORE!!!!!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm)Michael wrote Reading some of the questions on the Tyne and Wear Facebook page - which they promise to answer...

Seem's trains won't be replaced till 2025.

Here is the full reply: 

painting stations is part of the station refurbishment plan to improve the environment for passengers. The fleet is going through a 3/4 life refurbishment and we are looking at ways of improving reliability of trains. The fleet is due to be replaced in 2025. Nexus are currently preparing a case to government to get funding for a new fleet.

WHY WEREN'T THEY REPLACED BEFORE!!!!!
Funding isn't it. A business case needs to be put to the government, like any other 'project'. The only problem is that there's so many projects bidding for the same pots of money, it won't even be guaranteed by 2025.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(18 Mar 2015, 1:00 pm)aureolin wrote Funding isn't it. A business case needs to be put to the government, like any other 'project'. The only problem is that there's so many projects bidding for the same pots of money, it won't even be guaranteed by 2025.

Yup, No doubt well have bangers for another 20 years............
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.