You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015
(12 Mar 2015, 12:48 pm)Dan wrote It has returned to Stanley, and I am not aware of any further vehicles transferring to Stanley on loan.
Was hoping it would be on the X1 or something.
Site Administrator
(12 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm)Malarkey wrote Was hoping it would be on the X1 or something.

Certainly not...

Stanley really shouldn't have sent an Olympian - they should have sent a low-floor single or double decker if they could spare a vehicle to loan to Washington baring in mind the Olympian was allocated from first run until last on the 85/86 yesterday...
(12 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm)Dan wrote Certainly not...

Stanley really shouldn't have sent an Olympian - they should have sent a low-floor single or double decker if they could spare a vehicle to loan to Washington baring in mind the Olympian was allocated from first run until last on the 85/86 yesterday...
Would have thought Stanley would of had a Low Floor spare *Cough* Venture Solo SR *Cough* or something else atleast, unless said low floor vehicles were VOR which I highly doubt.
(12 Mar 2015, 12:48 pm)Dan wrote It has returned to Stanley, and I am not aware of any further vehicles transferring to Stanley on loan.

was on scholars tonight although its destination wasnt turned on...
Site Administrator
(12 Mar 2015, 3:59 pm)Robert wrote was on scholars tonight although its destination wasnt turned on...
Went back to Stanley this morning and more or less went straight to Consett to shuttle drivers from the depot. Won't have had its destinations re-programed. I'd expect that to be done tonight!
(12 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm)Malarkey wrote Was hoping it would be on the X1 or something.

Would have been a lot better than 8248, that's for sure! Wink
Not entirely sure why the number jumps to one side, but I'd imagine it's near impossible to test every destination on different varieties of destination displays.

I noticed a similar issue with the way the number on the '4' was displayed, when some Solars were being used. It was fixed almost as soon as I'd mentioned it on here though.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(13 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm)aureolin wrote Not entirely sure why the number jumps to one side, but I'd imagine it's near impossible to test every destination on different varieties of destination displays.

I noticed a similar issue with the way the number on the '4' was displayed, when some Solars were being used. It was fixed almost as soon as I'd mentioned it on here though.

The number appearing on the left hand side opposed to the right relates to an incorrect switch setting on that vehicle. Different vehicle types have differently sized destination displays. Some are larger, some are smaller.

When we are creating new destinations, we create multiple versions of the same display for each size of destination a depot uses. To follow on from discussion in the "What's made you happy today?" thread, I have been working on the destination displays for "Lime" services 8/8A and 78/78A today. I've fully completed the revised set of destinations for Chester-le-Street depot. For full (front, side and rear) LED displays, there are about six different variants. There are normal LED frontal displays (as per the Tridents), colour LED displays (as per the Angel Hybrids), larger colour LED displays (as per the OmniCitys), normal LED side/rear displays and larger rear LED displays (as per the OmniCitys).

When we upload these destinations to the buses, we have to make sure that the switch setting for that bus matches up with what we have got in the programme. If not, we see some funny looking destination displays! I think (but could be wrong) that the vehicles with the route numbers on the left hand side of the display think that their frontal displays are in fact rear displays, where the number appears on the left hand side of the vehicle. Sometimes further issues arise when you start to play around with the settings, so sometimes engineers at the depots are unable to change these themselves. As depots aren't always in a position to keep a bus off the road because it is showing the number on the wrong side of the display, it's often a case of waiting for it to be off the road (for whatever reason) on a weekday so we can see to it. This is how we managed to get the "Crusader" branded Mercedes Citaro fixed - as it was at Saltmeadows for some reason or another.

I'm not entirely sure why 5161 displays "Sth Shields", as even the rear display should be set up to read "South". It's not "unprofessional" that this fault hasn't been fixed - there's just more than what meets the eye and quite frankly it's perfectly understandable that enthusiasts just see black and white and nothing in between as most are unaware of how a depot operates and the issues depots face on a daily basis. The issue with the Scania L94 vehicles on the 4 was fixed when the global Go North East programme was rolled out at Washington. I think it was planned for this to be done on a Sunday morning before the issue was noted on this forum, sadly! This forum has helped to make Go North East aware of certain issues quicker (and this has in turn gotten the issues fixed quicker too!)
Dan on the GNE fleet list it has 3978 down as having the Hunger Games Advert still =)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(14 Mar 2015, 11:24 am)Michael wrote Dan on the GNE fleet list it has 3978 down as having the Hunger Games Advert still =)
I wasn't sure if it still had the advert, if I'm honest. I haven't seen any photos of it, but Lothian still have a Gemini running around with the same ad on.
(13 Mar 2015, 8:24 pm)Dan wrote I'm not entirely sure why 5161 displays "Sth Shields", as even the rear display should be set up to read "South". It's not "unprofessional" that this fault hasn't been fixed - there's just more than what meets the eye and quite frankly it's perfectly understandable that enthusiasts just see black and white and nothing in between as most are unaware of how a depot operates and the issues depots face on a daily basis. The issue with the Scania L94 vehicles on the 4 was fixed when the global Go North East programme was rolled out at Washington. I think it was planned for this to be done on a Sunday morning before the issue was noted on this forum, sadly! This forum has helped to make Go North East aware of certain issues quicker (and this has in turn gotten the issues fixed quicker too!)

It's a pleasure to read what you have typed there Dan. Now is they any chance you can change the ' enthusiasts ' to ' customers ' and have that scrolling along all the destination's lol. Hope you enjoying you time as an insider, but be warned it gets into your blood and cant ever be flushed out. 
Spotted a Diamond Merc heading along the A167 in Chester-le-Street when waiting for my 78 to Sunderland this morning. NIS, so I assume a breakdown along at Durham? Likely heading along to Chester-le-Street for repairs.

Took a photo, albeit a bit blurred and unclear due to the rush, but I'll upload it when I have a minute.
(14 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm)citaro5284 wrote Ta

If it helps, I've noticed that one some journeys it does and others it doesn't, so could it be more down to programming than the actual display?
(14 Mar 2015, 5:29 pm)oMarcTheA4 wrote Spotted a Diamond Merc heading along the A167 in Chester-le-Street when waiting for my 78 to Sunderland this morning. NIS, so I assume a breakdown along at Durham? Likely heading along to Chester-le-Street for repairs.

Took a photo, albeit a bit blurred and unclear due to the rush, but I'll upload it when I have a minute.

I hope it's 5284. I want it to burn in hell  Tongue
Site Administrator
(14 Mar 2015, 5:32 pm)mb134 wrote If it helps, I've noticed that one some journeys it does and others it doesn't, so could it be more down to programming than the actual display?
The destination display in that bus is faulty.

(14 Mar 2015, 5:32 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote I hope it's 5284. I want it to burn in hell 
I reckon it was 5289...
(14 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm)Dan wrote The destination display in that bus is faulty.

I reckon it was 5289...
Ah okay  Undecided just some days I see it and it's fine, and others it's a block like Tommy described Smile 
Site Administrator
(15 Mar 2015, 7:59 am)citaro5284 wrote The remaining Fab56 vehicles + 6099 and 6100 were updated this morning - I can sense a photo coming sometime today!!

Waking up early doors and being at Deptford before the first bus of the day had even left the depot was well worth it, when the result was having white route numbers back on the 56. As we had to go before the first 56 left the depot, it was still dark which made the white route number look even more effective.
[Image: 16635261779_cc3d081c7d.jpg]Go North East: 6093 / NL63YHW by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

In other news, Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3941 (NK05 GZO) has been given a full re-trim. Given that 3942 has also received this treatment, I'd assume that all of the Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvo B7TLs will... Also, I am led to believe that Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4845 (R845 PRG) has been withdrawn and is currently in storage at Saltmeadows Road Depot prior to disposal. This is subject to confirmation in Go North East's official fleet news tomorrow, but I don't think it will see service again...
(15 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm)Dan wrote Waking up early doors and being at Deptford before the first bus of the day had even left the depot was well worth it, when the result was having white route numbers back on the 56. As we had to go before the first 56 left the depot, it was still dark which made the white route number look even more effective.
[Image: 16635261779_cc3d081c7d.jpg]Go North East: 6093 / NL63YHW by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

In other news, Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3941 (NK05 GZO) has been given a full re-trim. Given that 3942 has also received this treatment, I'd assume that all of the Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvo B7TLs will... Also, I am led to believe that Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4845 (R845 PRG) has been withdrawn and is currently in storage at Saltmeadows Road Depot prior to disposal. This is subject to confirmation in Go North East's official fleet news tomorrow, but I don't think it will see service again...

They look good with white numbers.

Cheers for the updates!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(15 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Has 3942 had its Metro Radio branding updated yet?

No - 3942 still carries the same promotional livery as before.
I can't be the only person that does this can I?..... I like to see what previous branding a vehicle has had when I'm on it. For example if I'm on 4931 I'll have a look and find out that it's an ex Fab 56 and Whey Aye 50