You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015
(15 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Yep, 7525 still has the panel.

It must have been 7507 that had something reddy browny dried on the floor a few weeks back.

So 7525 still hasn't had the branding re-applied?
It's this lack of attention to detail at Ashington that shows them up. I seem to remember they ran 7508 unbranded for weeks at the start of Sapphire...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(15 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Yep, 7525 still has the panel.

It must have been 7507 that had something reddy browny dried on the floor a few weeks back.
Typical Ashington decision that:
"Should we get 7525 fixed today? "

"Nah, let's send it out sending an unprofessional message to the passengers, and complete reassurance that this bus hasn't had a bump "

"Okay boss, sure thing..."

Whatever it was was still running around the floor of the bus, on both sides and across the middle, had only dried outside. 
(15 Mar 2015, 12:36 pm)Jimmi wrote Do any of the 09 reg Enviro's still have the adverts for Lingfield Point inside from when they were based at Darlington depot? Remember they carried the advert on the exterior for ages!

Yeah they do.

I've reminded AN that that's what it advertises, they don't give a toss
(15 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm)tyresmoke wrote So 7525 still hasn't had the branding re-applied?
It's this lack of attention to detail at Ashington that shows them up. I seem to remember they ran 7508 unbranded for weeks at the start of Sapphire...

That was 7509.
(15 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm)tyresmoke wrote So 7525 still hasn't had the branding re-applied?
7509 Wink 

Its shocking, they clearly had two spare yesterday as both 7508/23 were in the bus station doing nothing when I arrived, granted 7508 then went on an X22, but shouldn't 7525 have been looked at when both of these were available, and when it wouldn't have been needed today?

Edit: I think something needs done at Ashington, most drivers seem to have no motivation to be on time, and after frequently using their services, passengers are annoyed at this, and I've heard quite a few say that they were going to arrange other transportation. This is probably why the X21/22 hasn't seen all that much growth!
(15 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote That was 7509.

Ah yes, well whichever one it was the point still stands. It's not good enough

I think it comes back to what I've said previously about who is running the company. Quite often, it seems that company strategy isn't being enforced at depot level, and Arriva really need to sort this out...

Far too much of this "we've done it this way for the last 40 years" attitude. 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(15 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm)mb134 wrote Typical Ashington decision that:
"Should we get 7525 fixed today? "

"Nah, let's send it out sending an unprofessional message to the passengers, and complete reassurance that this bus hasn't had a bump "

"Okay boss, sure thing..."

Whatever it was was still running around the floor of the bus, on both sides and across the middle, had only dried outside. 

"Now, should I walk around that corner to get 7518?"

"Nah, save yourself some energy and just fetch 4653 from ower there"

"Right, I'll do that"
Site Administrator

The mis-mash of different coloured panels is not unique to Ashington. There's a Pulsar at Durham in the old Arriva livery with a panel in the new Arriva livery, and conversely, a Pulsar in the new Arriva livery with a panel in the old Arriva livery.

At least these panels have been replaced, though. I noticed quite a few Streetlites down on Teesside yesterday with bodywork damage. One was quite severe, though I can't remember if it was based at Stockton or Redcar as I didn't get a photo of it. Probably due to the snow a few weeks ago!
(15 Mar 2015, 12:43 pm)Dan wrote The mis-mash of different coloured panels is not unique to Ashington. There's a Pulsar at Durham in the old Arriva livery with a panel in the new Arriva livery, and conversely, a Pulsar in the new Arriva livery with a panel in the old Arriva livery.

At least these panels have been replaced, though. I noticed quite a few Streetlites down on Teesside yesterday with bodywork damage. One was quite severe, though I can't remember if it was based at Stockton or Redcar as I didn't get a photo of it. Probably due to the snow a few weeks ago!

Will be one of Redcar's as there's no major damage on any of ours

(15 Mar 2015, 12:43 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote "Now, should I walk around that corner to get 7518?"

"Nah, save yourself some energy and just fetch 4653 from ower there"

"Right, I'll do that"
"You want one of these deckers on the 35a today? "

"Nah just chuck on 1790, it's a bus at the end of the day"

"If you say so"

The probable discussion yesterday morning... 
Well out it this way folks, Arriva seriously want to up their game as GNE are in a position now that they could do something like this:

- GNE: "Whey, now the punters have got new buses on the 27, lets give the Mercs to Percy Main".
- GNE " Reet, we'll file the routes off to VOSA".
- Arriva Passenger: "Why's my bus got no power sockets?"
- Arriva inspector: " Well, as long as the buses engine and brakes are working, that's fine".
- To be ex Arriva passenger: "Well why I'm I paying 7 quid for a shruddy service? Reet, I'll be taking the Merc from now on".
- New GNE passengers: "Can we please have more seats on the expresses"?
- GNE: " Yep, we'll get some new deckers for the X1 so you can have more seats?"
- GNE " Your Ashington express bus will be a bit bigger with comfy seats and more of them".

Then, 2 Arriva inspectors are talking at Ashington:
- Inspector 1: "Well, our Sapphire services are running on time and even early for once"
- Inspector 2: "Aye, well nobody is f*****g using them"
(15 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm)mb134 wrote "You want one of these deckers on the 35a today? "

"Nah just chuck on 1790, it's a bus at the end of the day"

"If you say so"

The probable discussion yesterday morning... 

That's the attitude of a supervisor at AN. He couldn't be arsed to walk round the corner and get a decker to replace 7492, he went and got 1579 from the Stand D/E layover.

And AN haven't removed the "Morpeth Newcastle" from 7515. I'm looking forward to October of when they will have "Morpeth Newcastle" on an X20 spare vehicle.
(15 Mar 2015, 1:02 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well out it this way folks, Arriva seriously want to up their game as GNE are in a position now that they could do something like this:

- GNE: "Whey, now the punters have got new buses on the 27, lets give the Mercs to Percy Main".
- Arriva inspector: " Well, as long as the buses engine and brakes are working, that's fine".
- To be ex Arriva passenger: "Well why I'm I paying 7 quid for a shruddy service? Reet, I'll be taking the Merc from now on".
- GNE: " Yep, we'll get some new deckers for the X1 so you can have more seats?"
- GNE " Your Ashington express bus will be a bit bigger with comfy seats and more of them".

- Inspector 1: "Well, our Sapphire services are running on time and even early for once"

That'll be me lol
(15 Mar 2015, 1:02 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well out it this way folks, Arriva seriously want to up their game as GNE are in a position now that they could do something like this:

Citaro, Dan, you know what to do... Wink
Site Administrator
(15 Mar 2015, 1:30 pm)mb134 wrote Citaro, Dan, you know what to do... Wink

When Kevin Carr leaves Go North East, I'll be sure to put forward Davey's name for his replacement... Tongue 
(15 Mar 2015, 1:32 pm)Dan wrote When Kevin Carr leaves Go North East, I'll be sure to put forward Davey's name for his replacement... Tongue 

South East Northumberland passengers and those of the X1 are eagerly anticipating it... Wink 
In all honesty, the MAX identity boasts leather seating and WiFi; and all of the MAX services offer this.  I believe that the Sapphire/MAX names are more of an identity than a route brand which is why there is less attention to detail with the floors etc.  The main aim to MAX is to upgrade the service at minimum cost.  I admit that the mix-match of seat-backs on the X12 will be annoying to enthusiasts but I'm not sure how many passengers will notice.

After driving the MAX buses after refurbishment, you can overhear people always commenting on their 'new bus' and how nice they are etc. and I believe that this is the idea which Arriva is trying to achieve.
If anyone sees any of the MAX refurbished Geminis on the X12 tomorrow or Thurs, could you let me know when and where please?
(17 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Get in! I was wondering why they weren't valid on that service anyway haha
No idea why they weren't before, I imagine they've done it now in the hope of boosting the passenger numbers on the X24 as the numbers on there haven't been brilliant the last few times I've seen/used this service.
Site Administrator
(17 Mar 2015, 5:27 pm)Jimmi wrote No idea why they weren't before, I imagine they've done it now in the hope of boosting the passenger numbers on the X24 as the numbers on there haven't been brilliant the last few times I've seen/used this service.

I'd imagine this was the case, too. Go North East's Get Around Key Card offers a 90p single fare on their equivalent X22 service, and it's free to order one of these cards which offer discounted travel...
Folks, do you know how either Tommy or MB134 mentioned that some drivers don't care about running late on the X21 / X22, do you think that they might not care because of the working conditions and I don't mean pay e.t.c. I mean the quality of the vehicles used and the fact that no matter how hard they try (even if saving a few minutes), it won't get them anywhere?
(17 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Folks, do you know how either Tommy or MB134 mentioned that some drivers don't care about running late on the X21 / X22, do you think that they might not care because of the working conditions and I don't mean pay e.t.c. I mean the quality of the vehicles used and the fact that no matter how hard they try (even if saving a few minutes), it won't get them anywhere?

I have no idea whether the two can be linked? I'd be very surprised if a depot full of drivers would deliberately run late, just because they've got to drive an E400 on the X21/X22. Although it does go back to the points made last week, with the X12/X2, and notable differences between Stockton and Durham's performances. 

It could also be a case that the vehicles are unsuitable for the route (which you've told us about to no end...), and that there's no legal/sensible way of making up that time lost due to vehicle performance?
Site Administrator
(17 Mar 2015, 5:47 pm)aureolin wrote I have no idea whether the two can be linked? I'd be very surprised if a depot full of drivers would deliberately run late, just because they've got to drive an E400 on the X21/X22. Although it does go back to the points made last week, with the X12/X2, and notable differences between Stockton and Durham's performances. 

It could also be a case that the vehicles are unsuitable for the route (which you've told us about to no end...), and that there's no legal/sensible way of making up that time lost due to vehicle performance?

I think this is more so what Davey was suggesting.

If it is difficult to keep to time on the X21/X22 due to ADL Enviro400s being allocated (which haven't got as much power as buses allocated in years gone by), are drivers beginning to think it's pointless trying to make up time as they won't be able to, which is ultimately leading to ongoing late running or regulation?
(17 Mar 2015, 5:47 pm)aureolin wrote I have no idea whether the two can be linked? I'd be very surprised if a depot full of drivers would deliberately run late, just because they've got to drive an E400 on the X21/X22. Although it does go back to the points made last week, with the X12/X2, and notable differences between Stockton and Durham's performances. 

My main annoyance, and why (I think it was me) I raised the point, was that there clearly is a legal way of making up time, as there is a group of drivers who are always on time, so they are clearly doing something right, which is also sensible and legal. 

To me, this suggests that some drivers simply do not want to run on time, for whatever reason this may be, which is also clear to see once you board the vehicle, taking too long to open/close doors, pulling away slowly, driving below the speed limit even when they are late.

So, although I agree that the vehicles aren't the best, and better vehicles could be used on the route, I think there is another reason behind the late running. I guess it could be a mixture of driving style and the vehicle though?