You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2015
(18 Apr 2015, 5:28 pm)Dan wrote Forgive me for the shameless plug...

Go North East and the various parties who support the service are offering an extended service this year, following the great success of the service last year. The extended service will be under a trial period, and if passenger numbers on the whole season increase, then it's quite likely that the service will continue to run from Easter again next year.

I recently sampled the AD122 service, and it is an absolutely magnificent route. I decided to have a ride of the 09:10am AD122 out of Hexham a few Saturdays ago. Excluding me (I really can't be counted these days), the service departed Hexham with five passengers, all of whom appeared to be young walkers (and hence fare payers). I had expected that the journey would be somewhat uncomfortable on the country roads as I've never been too keen on MPDs, but I must say I was wrong. I'm glad that the two branded vehicles were given a little interior makeover with the seats being re-upholstered and re-trimmed, as this provided a sufficient amount of comfort at the back row.

Although the vehicles aren't fitted with Next Stop Announcements, the bus driver was very helpful to the passengers on-board by calling out the main stopping points along the route as we approached them. The driver additionally provided some interesting facts along the route which really enticed the passengers on-board, leading to related discussion between the two couples on-board. When the bus approached walkers, the driver slowed down and asked walkers the route they were taking, subsequently offering to take the walkers on part of their route. This worked on a couple of occasions, and many pointed out that they didn't realise the timings would work until the driver advised them otherwise.

There's more than enough time built into the timetable, so the driver can be fairly relaxed and let passengers enjoy the views. If you give the driver the heads up, I'm sure s/he will be happy to let you off at Haltwhistle Station (ie the terminus) for a photograph or two and then let you back on again. Explorer tickets aren't valid on the service so you do need to buy a special ticket for use on the AD122, but I'd suggest it's well worth it. You can have a ride of both vehicles by getting off at Housesteads (iirc) on your return journey back to Hexham and getting on the other bus to Haltwhistle. Part of me wished I did this, but I had other things on my list that day to do.

If it's sunny, give it a go. Even if you're not keen on Darts, you may change your mind by the end of that bus journey. Smile 

Plus there may be scruffy-looking people en-route taking photos of the MPDs Wink
I'm wanting to get a few pics tomorrow hopefully, see if I can get one of the 2-hourly 685s in also.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]