You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(06 May 2015, 3:52 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote In relation to the passenger numbers on X21/X22 - my usual 0900 X21 from Ashington-Newcastle is very busy by Bedlington heading into Newcastle.

However, a stereotype has been set. From day one, vehicles were breaking down, complaints came streaming through about breakdowns, use of 57-reg buses, the power sockets not working etc. Potential passengers have been put off by the fact that Sapphire E400s are being towed.

In all honest opinion, as a daily user of X21, I've seen passengers giving up on the bus when it fails somewhere and continuing their journey on foot/different service.

People expect and say that Sapphire will get passenger numbers on the X21/X22, because of the likes of the 7.

If Arriva bought an entirely new fleet of Enviro400s for the X21/X22, I don't think that I'll be sat here typing this, but commending Arriva on their investment.

I think the problem with the X21 is this:

- Lack of suitable vehicles (e.g 7501 - 7509)
- De-Tour via Neddderton adding time onto the journey.
- Far more incentive to either get a 35 to North Seaton then jump on the X20 straight to Newcastle if living in Newbiggin.
- X20 can complete the journey from Ashington to Newcastle much quicker.
- X22 is more reliable and faster on the section between Bedlington and Newcastle improving punctuality and reliability.
- Too much focus on 'eco nonsense' rather than setting up the vehicles to ensure enough power is maintained for all speeds. 
- Small number of drivers making no safe or legal effort to keep as close to time as possible.
- Lack of consistency.

Arriva need to do the following:
- Get rid of 7501 - 7509 and buy new buses (either more ADL E400s setup correctly with no ecnospeed or alternatively, Scania N230UD E400s with ecnospeed and setup for economy and efficiency).
- Either re-route the X21 via the X22 route between Bedlington and Newcastle (making the combined frequency every 9-11 minutes from Ashington and between Bedlington and Newcastle with small timing adjustments on both services) with another route serving Nedderton OR, bring back the X31 / X32 under the Sapphire brand with 11x ADL E400s and X33 under MAX brand with 5 VDL Pulsars.
- Enforce high standards of driving ensuring that all drivers drive safely and as quickly as possible according to the road, traffic and weather conditions.