You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(24 May 2015, 6:24 pm)Dan wrote They don't form part of the main allocation, though? They are reserve vehicles.

Why are double deckers such an issue on the 82/82A routes? Might just be me, but I would prefer a double decker to turn up than no bus at all.

They tend to be a daily allocation on the 82/82A from what I still see. Hopefully that'll change with the Merits coming in for the Cadets. That's if they prove to be more reliable of course. 

I wouldn't say deckers are an issue personally. The only people that tend to have a problem are the OAPs that have to sit more than 2 meters away from the doors, and the fact it's only got one buggy bay. The latter tends to be more of an issue for timekeeping though, as the parents I see are more than happy to take a few mins to fold down the buggy.

(24 May 2015, 7:15 pm)leestransportphotos wrote It was an elderly person that knocked on our door. These are the main points

- Less seats downstairs meaning elderly people have to stand
- Buses running around empty all day - environment
- Lack of power meaning buses struggle up Fell Bank and Northside.

I can see where they're coming from and for that reason I signed it.
(24 May 2015, 7:34 pm)Sidthebusbabe wrote I presume they mean that although there is a large amount of seats available, most of them are inaccessible to elderly passengers because they are upstairs, and the seats which are occupied will presumably be on the lower deck, meaning at peak times pensioners may have to stand or face the challenge of climbing the stairs. Considering a double decker will have around 23 seats downstairs and 50+ seats upstairs (which are inaccessible) buses will usually appear to be running almost empty, even at peak times because a large amount of passengers will be seated downstairs, hence the desire for single deckers.

Personally, I would rather have too much capacity than too little capacity on a service but from the viewpoint of a 90 year old pensioner I can understand why they don't appreciate double deckers. Poor accessibility is one the main disadvantages of double deckers.

There needs to be a common sense approach. Not all OAPs are at death's door, and the majority are more than capable of heading upstairs for a seat. There are of course those who aren't, and it requires common sense from passengers already occupying their seat, in order to vacate it for someone with a greater need. This does work both ways though, and I've seen old folk refusing to budge from the priority seats for pregnant women. 

There's 22(?) seats downstairs on a President, and I can't see there being many times in a day where it'd be carrying more than that, but also taking into account that the younger generation would prefer to head straight upstairs.

As for buses running around empty all day, it's really a non-argument, and does nothing to favour the argument of people having to stand. I do agree with the lack of power up Fell Bank though, but it's a pretty steep one to climb. 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015