You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: R852 PRG's Reviews
Saturday 1st August 2015

Back to present day today, and I've been out and about on a Get Around day ticket. I headed through to Sunderland first, followed by North Shields (splitting at Jarrow for fifteen minutes) and then down to Newcastle and onto the Quayside for some photos of the ''Quaylink'' Versas.

#78 – Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange – (08:38 --- 09:12) – Go North East 5398 – Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid
In recent weeks, I've been catching an ''Angel'' 21 service through to Newcastle between 08:40 and 09:00 a lot to start off my outings, which has resulted in me getting used to my alarm buzzing at 08:00 in the morning. Rather than break this routine, I decided I would catch the 08:40 ''Coast & Country'' 78 service through to Sunderland (08:34 from Chester-le-Street). After leaving my house at 08:25, I arrived at the bus stop at 08:35. Within a few minutes, I saw a ''Coast & Country'' branded Streetlite coming down Ropery Lane, and once it had rounded the roundabout, I flagged it to a stop. To be honest, I was surprised to find ten passengers were on board. The next few villages on the route, Great Lumley, Bournmoor and Shiney Row, were where the majority alighted, with only one carrying on to Sunderland. A few boarded along Chester Road but when we entered Park Lane, we only had around a dozen passengers. The next couple of runs after usually have standees, so I have to say it was a nice change. The WiFi on board worked absolutely brilliantly, and was very speedy. I hate having to eat into my mobile data when surfing the web, so WiFi is always really handy. The Next Stop Announcements worked well, with the audio in-sync with the screen; plus the volume was at a reasonable level. My only disappointment was that the plugs weren't working, I can't remember if I told citaro5284 or not, but it didn't really matter as I had obviously charged my phone overnight.

#9 – Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Jarrow Bus Station – (09:35 --- 10:14) – Go North East 6039 – Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
The driver dropped us off in the middle of the Interchange, where the ''Fab56'' departs from to be precise. He then went over into the layover bays, as he had arrived so early. After making a quick trip to Greggs for my usual bottle of water, I saw him walk across into the Interchange itself to refill his cash dispenser. Looking around to see if there were any Nexus employees (to see none), I sneakily got my camera out and snapped ''Prince Bishops'' 4945 and ''Coast & Country'' 5398 in the layover bays. As I'd succeeded in my mission, and had a while to wait until the 09:34 to Jarrow was to depart, I headed out of the Interchange to get some more photos. When the time crept up to 09:30, I made for the bus stand. Before long, a red Volvo B7TL President rounded the corner into the Interchange, and came to a halt at the stand. The 09:34 runs light to Park Lane from Deptford, meaning I was the first passenger of the day on 6039. Sat at the front upstairs, and listened to some music through my earphones. The journey went by pretty quickly, I think this President was quite fast when you compare it to some of the other examples in the fleet, which crawl up the slightest gradient. After alighting in Jarrow Bus Station, I located the stand for the North Shields-bound 9, due at 10:31. As it was very quiet, and no charvers could be seen, I decided to get some photos to pass the time.

#9 – Jarrow Bus Station to North Shields Town Centre – (10:30 --- 10:43) – Go North East 5166 – Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
Before I knew it, I could see this entering the bus station. I'd been stocking up on paper timetables, as they were a free for all in one of the shelters. When I checked the fleet number; 5166, I recall this was one of the dual-door ex-Oxford B10BLEs that people aren't particularly keen on. As I'd never made a journey on 5166 before, I had to see what I was in for. We departed Jarrow with about fifteen passengers, the majority of whom were OAPs and sat near the front. I chose to sit on the offside quadrant, stretching my legs with my bag in between them. I have to say, I didn't mind this one as much as I thought I would. Granted, it was only a short journey between Jarrow and North Shields, but it was smooth nonetheless. Not sure I would volunteer to do the whole route from Sunderland. One thing I noticed was how it seemed to struggle in terms of speed during our run through the Tyne Tunnel. I always like going through the tunnel, I've yet to do it from the upper deck of a double decker, something I'd just like to do for the sake of it. We pulled into North Shields on-time, and I alighted here along with everybody else. 

#310 – North Shields Town Centre to Newcastle, Haymarket Bus Station – (11:07 --- 11:50) – Go North East 5247 – Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity
As I've got a good friend from my early childhood who lives in North Shields, I'm quite familiar with the place (although I rarely go there on my outings). In front of 5166 was ''Cobalt Clipper'' 6102, which I snapped a few photos of, before walking across to get some photos of ''North Tyne Links'' 553. Then the Ferry Shuttle Solo appeared, along with Arriva Pulsar 1497. Got decent pics of all, however I noticed the driver of 1497 (who jumped off to have a cigarette) kept his eyes sealed on me as I walked back across to where the 310 departs from. Speaking of the 310, I overheard some elderly women talking about some sort of march that was taking place in the town centre soon, so I wanted to make sure I was out of there on the next bus to Newcastle. My heart sank when I saw red OmniCity 5247 appear, with the blind set for the 310 to Newcastle... After a driver changeover, a load of about twenty passengers, myself included, boarded. I sat at the emergency exit; just in case the thrills of the journey became too much for me and I had to throw myself in front of an oncoming vehicle on the Coast Road... One thing I did notice from this journey – that area of houses between North Shields town centre and Middle Engine Lane, ooof... I thought Hollyhill Gardens in Stanley was bad! The journey wasn't as bad as I expected in hindsight; when we got closer to Newcastle, I noticed the famous Steven Hodgson boarded at Arriva's Jesmond depot. Nearly all passengers jumped off at St. Mary's Place, meaning just him and I along with one other person were on board when we came into Haymarket. As I walked down the aisle, he turned around and smiled, saying hello. I generated a conversation and introduced myself, before I said goodbye to him when we walked different ways at Haymarket Bus Station.

#Q3 – Newcastle, Haymarket Bus Station to Quayside Guildhall – (12:18 --- 12:23) – Go North East 8315 – Optare Versa V1110/Optare
As I exited Haymarket, I saw Gary Devlin standing by himself at the little island where most enthusiasts stand to get photos, so I went over to talk to him for a while. After about ten minutes, I left him and headed back into Haymarket to jump on a ''Quaylink'' Q3 service down to the Quayside. I found 8315 – a ''Great Park & Ride'' Green example – at the top of the bus station. I boarded and sat at the back, I love how comfortable the seating is at the back on a Versa, and the legroom next to the emergency exit is fantastic. As we pulled out of Haymarket; I almost died when I heard how loud the Next Stop Announcement was. I wasn't expecting it either, seeing as we were just pulling out of the bus station. It was a pleasant little ride down to the Quayside, and I jumped off at Guildhall. While I snapped a photo of 8315, Jack McArdle introduced himself and I spoke to him briefly, however I was just mainly focused on getting photos of the ''Quaylinks''. Sid was with him too. After quite a while, and after Jack and Sid had left, I caught the next ''Quaylink'' to appear. I'd really recommend photos on the Quayside, you get no hassle there and it is just great.

#Q1 – Quayside Guildhall to Newcastle Central Station – (12:54 --- 13:00) – Go North East 8334 – Optare Versa V1110/Optare
The next bus to appear, was ''Orbit'' purple liveried 8334, working the Q1 to Central Station. Rather than stick around, I boarded this. The driver was quite a pleasant man, and he greeted me as I boarded. About half a dozen passengers were already on board, which meant I had a pick of the seats. Again, I chose to sit near the emergency exit at the back. The seats there are just so comfortable, I've found they're quite similar on the ''Venture'' Solos – so I'm guessing it's an Optare seating thing. It was a smooth journey and I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. When we were all dropped off at Central Station, an elderly lady had a lengthy conversation with the driver about the buses to Gateshead from where they were being dropped off. I crossed the road to get a photograph of it, and it came out quite nicely. After waiting for what felt like ages, a MetroCentre-bound bus showed up, in the form of a 10A...

#10A – Newcastle Central Station to MetroCentre Transport Interchange – (13:13 --- 13:24) – Go North East 6084 – Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
When I boarded, I had yet another pleasant driver, who greeted me and even asked how I was doing. As the lower deck was crowded, I headed upstairs. Sat four or five rows from the front, next to a plug socket. Finally! I took the opportunity to charge my phone here, getting it from 49% to 63% over the course of this relatively short journey. I realised, with the plug sockets; that (having not checked the fleet number when I boarded, as I usually would) that this was 6084, the ex-''Fab56'' branded Gemini 2. It provided quite a smooth journey, as most B9TLs do. This would have been my second B9TL of the day, had the blasted 5247 not been operating the 310... Nevermind! As we approached the MetroCentre, I headed downstairs, along with a handful of OAPs. Quite a decent number of passengers alighted here, I think if you told some people to go into Eldon Square, and find a bus that would take them to the MetroCentre, they would head to the stand for the 10/10A/10B; as the link between the two is very heavily promoted and seems well used. 

#X66 – MetroCentre Transport Interchange to Gateshead Transport Interchange – (13:26 --- 13:37) – Go North East 5332 – Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
When I jumped off, I saw Citaro 5332 just across the Interchange, working the X66 to Gateshead, so I went for it. As my opinion of the Citaros has now started to change for the better side of them, I boarded this one completely voluntarily. About eight passengers were on board when we left the MetroCentre, with no drivers halting the bus at Riverside to commute to Gateshead Interchange. I sat at the quadrant on the offside; with the three side-ways facing seats on the nearside to my left. With it being such a short journey, I can't make many comments. We took the route via Askew Road, rather than along the Centrelink. When we got to Gateshead Interchange, I made my way around the Interchange, trying to make heads and tails of the new stand allocations visually. Another ''Quaylink'' branded Versa appeared, with the Q2 to Heworth, so I jumped on that.

#Q2 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to Wrekenton High Street – (13:43 --- 14:02) – Go North East 8331 – Optare Versa V1110/Optare
It was 8331, yet another former ''Orbit'' branded example. Upon making this journey, I'd been on all of the new ''Quaylink'' services today (Q1/Q2/Q3). A few elderly women accused the driver of not stopping in the correct place, due to the stand re-allocations, however he insisted to them that he was right and they were wrong. He didn't seem to be as nice as the other two drivers I'd experienced on the ''Quaylink'' today, and he didn't really seem to acknowledge my ''hello'' when I boarded. Passenger numbers were pretty low throughout the journey, the majority of whom alighted in Wrekenton, myself included. I spent most of the journey talking to Sean (northern156) on Facebook Messenger, he was somewhere up in Scotland doing a train bash... God be with him. I thought I was being a clever guy by calling the Class 380s ''Darth Vaders'', when in fact that nickname is for the Class 450s. I got mixed up. They look pretty similar as it is. 

#X1 – Wrekenton High Street to Washington The Galleries Bus Station – (14:10 --- 14:18) – Go North East 6005 – Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
After waiting for a while, I saw a ''Red Arrows'' B9TL coming up Old Durham Road. Rather than hang around, I decided to board this and head to the Galleries next. As soon as I boarded, I saw how busy it was downstairs; with nearly every seat taken. Thus, I made my way up the staircase. I was surprised to see Adrian sitting towards the middle of the saloon, so I sat on the row next to him and started talking. It seems every weekend I manage to bump into him. I told him where I'd been, and it seems we were in North Shields not far apart from each other, Adrian had been there when the march was just starting. It was quite a smooth journey; I'm sure it's been brought up before, but 6005 has a nice little ''squeal'' sound in the engine. It's very noticeable, and the noise stands out from the others. When I got to the Galleries, I decided I was going to call it a day here, and board the next bus back to Chester-le-Street. Coincidentally, a Stanley-bound ''Coast & Country'' 8 service was pulling in at the same time, so I said goodbye to Adrian and made my way downstairs to then connect onto the 8.

#8 – Washington The Galleries Bus Station to Chester-le-Street South Burns – (14:20 --- 14:41) – Go North East 5406 – Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid
The vehicle operating this run was Chester-le-Street's 5406. I recall being on this example before; I believe the only ''Coast & Country'' Streetlites I need are Stanley's 5400 and Chester-le-Street's 5402 and 5403. 5408 has been stalking me quite a lot recently, so it was nice to be on an example that was not said vehicle. I sat at the back, big mistake. The seating there is dreadfully uncomfortable, however, the bus was quite busy so I decided not to change seats. I connected to the WiFi without any problems, and charged my phone without any issues. The Next Stop Announcements were working fine, and before I knew it, we were passing Chester-le-Street depot and coming into the town centre. After alighting and having a quick trip up to Morrison's; I hitched a lift to the Black Horse on 8303 (working the 14:54 ''Lambton Worm'' 34 to Waldridge Park; I live quite a long walk from the town centre, and if I can get a bus closer and kill the walking time, I will do so). Driving this Versa was a miserable prick. He used to drive the 08:10 21 service (which I used to use on a daily basis) from the Black Horse to Newcastle on a weekday morning, before the big rota amalgamation and when that was part of a 4-day rota. He looks like he really hates his life. Somebody could drag him out of the cab and drive the bus over a cliff and he would sit there, content with it... Anyway, I walked home from the Black Horse and was back in the house for 15:20.

It was a great day out, despite bumping into as many as five other enthusiasts, I'd class it as a solo outing. Really pleased with how some of my photos from today came out, I'll get onto uploading them to Flickr later on tonight. Thanks for reading. Smile

R852 PRG

R852 PRG's Reviews