You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(24 Aug 2015, 12:14 pm)Michael wrote Has 8253 being withdrawn from Washington due to loss on NEXUS contracts?

Surprised they haven't got rid of the withdrawn buses yet, especially the Cadets/MPDs, as they're DDA... although some have just being withdrawn.

(24 Aug 2015, 12:21 pm)DanPicken wrote Engine failure I think.

What makes you think that, Dan?

The withdrawal of DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8253 (NK04 FOP) has been outstanding since May, and was actually replaced in the fleet at Washington by VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8265 (NK04 ZND). I believe its withdrawal was postponed due to various VDL SB120/Wright Merits being VOR following transfer from Riverside. I expect that it won't be too long before DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8252 (NA52 BVJ) follows suit, although this must have been in a better condition than 8253 (NK04 FOP) given that the latter was withdrawn first despite being younger.

The MPDs and Cadets withdrawn to date (excluding 8253) were all new in 2002; as mini and midibuses, these would have been expected to have a shelf life of 12 years, which of course they have now surpassed. These vehicles will have a low book value, so makes sense to withdraw them now to maximise sale value.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015