You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: R852 PRG's Reviews
Saturday 5th September 2015

Had a nice outing today on a Get Around day ticket. As I'm doing something bus-related tomorrow (expect a review), I was contemplating staying in today. Last night, I decided I would go out in the end, and after drawing from the hat, decided I would catch a ''Whey Aye Five 0'' 50 service to start.

#50 – Chester-le-Street Corals to Washington The Galleries Bus Station – (08:50 --- 09:03) – Go North East 5409 – Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid – ''Corporate''
After an 08:00 alarm, I left my house at about 08:25; after a twenty minute walk into Chester-le-Street town centre, I messaged citaro5284 on Facebook Messenger to see if he could tell me what I was going to be landed with. I'd seen a ''Whey Aye Five 0'' branded OmniCity standing stationary with a Durham-bound service as I descended Front Street, and was kind of hoping I'd get one; as I rarely use the 50 service and haven't covered many miles in 5255-5260 as a result. In fact, the last time I really cared about the ''Whey Aye Five 0'', was when citaro5284 asked me to get a photograph of 5256's missing branding as evidence of some missing vinyls. Was quite disappointed when I sighted a red Streetlite turning onto Front Street; knowing it could only be Chester-le-Street's 5409, I reluctantly got my Key Card ready. The female driver appeared to have some difficulty in negotiating the U-turn at the bottom of Chester-le-Street, but did it eventually. I believe she is called Audrey; she has a thick Scottish accent and blonde hair. She seemed quite pleasant. We departed on-time, I decided I would take this service as far as the Galleries (would have made the effort to carry on to South Shields had it been an OmniCity, but there is only so much Streetlite you can handle before you feel like throwing yourself out of the emergency door). While I sat just above the step towards the rear; a Chester-le-Street driver was sat at the very back with his children. He referred to the depot as ''Alcatraz''... About ten passengers boarded in Lambton, and we arrived at the Galleries before I knew it. Standard Streetlite journey; uninspiring and depressing. On a positive note, I got to milk some unexpected free WiFi.

#4 – Washington The Galleries Bus Station to Heworth Metro Interchange – (09:12 --- 09:30) – Go North East 5358 – Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro – ''Connections4''
After jumping off the 50; I looked around to see if there was anything of interest. The bus station was obviously quite quiet for 09:00 on a Saturday morning, after watching a Solar head up to the layover bays while working the ''Simplicity'' services; I made my way up into the shopping centre for my standard bottle of water. The McColls newsagents just to the right as I walked in was the easiest option, so picked up a bottle of Volvic water for £1.00 and returned to the bus station. As I'd left the bus station, only about two or three people were queuing for the X1 and 4, by now, it had reached the bottom of the escalators. Fortunately, within a minute or two, I saw a ''Connections4'' branded Citaro coming along and into view. The long queue split, with about half a dozen making their way outside for the 4. I decided I'd go with this, then connect onto a 27 at Heworth. 5358 was the vehicle operating this run, I seem to recall riding this example before so it wasn't a winner. My preferred seat was occupied (grrr) so found myself sat at the quadrant, next to the emergency exit. Legroom was spacious and the seat was comfortable. The man who was occupying my favourite seat suddenly jumped off at the Galleries, meaning it was available; but I chose not to move as I was comfy where I was. After we set off, it didn't take long for us to reach Concord and soon after, Heworth Metro was announced on the Next Stop Announcement. Although I was on the verge of getting a photo of 5358, I saw a Newcastle-bound ''Crusader'' 27 was due at 09:32, so waited...

#27 – Heworth Metro Interchange to Newcastle, Market Street East – (09:33 --- 09:51) – Go North East 5328 – Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro – ''Crusader''
I didn't have long to wait after checking the timetable, before I saw a silver Citaro entering the Interchange. Was quite happy when I noticed it was one of the recently branded examples; 5328. A couple of others were waiting for this service; I was expecting it to be full to the brim to be honest, but found it was pretty quiet with only about fifteen passengers on board. Luckily for me; my favoured seat, the one next to the air conditioner/heater thing where I can rest my right arm on the luggage rack(?) above it. While I messaged Sean throughout the journey, as he was heading across on the 685 but contemplating bailing at Throckley and then onto something else to Newcastle, I said I'd meet him for a quick catch-up and then go separate ways. I was considering heading onto some of the ''Diamond'' routes, following up to the proposed service changes, and Sean was looking to go north on some Arriva routes. I didn't pay much attention up until Gateshead, where I took note of anything good in the Interchange. Have to say I'm surprised at just how many of the ''Crusader'' Mercedes are now fully branded in the new livery. Upon arrival on Market Street, I headed up to Costa in Eldon Square... It wasn't very busy, so I sat in and enjoyed my usual small Hot Chocolate before heading to Market Street again to meet Sean. I got a good photo of 5314, another ''Crusader'' liveried Citaro, before Sean soon arrived on a Stagecoach Enviro400. We casually walked back up to Eldon Square/Haymarket from there.

#31 – Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to Handy Drive, Riverside Bus Depot – (11:26 --- 11:42) – Go North East 4921 – Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown – ''Corporate''
We sat in Haymarket for a while, in hopes of Sean's favourite Pulsar; 1480, appearing. After a while, it did not, so he nipped into Gregg's for something before we headed out to the little island for some photos. One of Sean's friends, Dennis, was driving a Pulsar on the 306 to Tynemouth, so he spoke to him for a while before departure. Over some time, Steven Hodgson and Gary Devlin both joined us on the island. Sean had forgotten his camera (LOL) so had to watch me getting some photos. Eventually, Sean left my company and soon after, I headed back into Eldon Square. He informed me he was on 6049, on the X1, and asked me to come up and give him a wave. I then noticed a red Renown was on Percy Street, so watched it as it descended into the bus station. It was operating the ''Toon Link'' 31 to Winlaton and decided I'd go with it. Walking towards the rear, I saw some of the DDA modifications; this was my first DDA-compliant B10BLE. The graffiti moquette seating made a nice change from the ''Go'' colours that I am accustomed to. Some great kickdowns were heard on the Redheugh Bridge, and again on Handy Drive. Decided to bail at Riverside, and get some photos there. 

#X66 – Handy Drive, Riverside Bus Depot to Gateshead Transport Interchange – (11:58 --- 12:07) – Go North East 5332 – Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro – ''Corporate''
After finally crossing the road; I noticed a line-up of three ''Toon Link'' Renowns and a few red B10BLEs. On inspecting my photos; it was 4841, 5148, an unidentified mauled Cadet, 5163, 4845 and 5149. Further along, where the main parking area is, I saw ''TEN'' branded 6072 and ''Toon Link'' 5234 sitting doing nothing, and an assortment of Vykings. Down by the Driver Training area, were the three resident Riverside Olympians, a handful of repatriated Cadets, and a Driving School coach with the NHS Shuttle MPD. I made my way back along to the Gateshead-bound bus stop, where two Riverside drivers were awaiting an X66. As opposed to a branded Streetlite; I was treated with the sight of dedicated spare vehicle 5332. It had a loading of about fifteen passengers already on board; I ended up sitting facing the rear of the vehicle. Didn't have much to say about this journey, as I spent the majority of it deleting any duplicate photos to save some time later on this evening when they were on the desktop. As we approached Gateshead Interchange, I sighted a Lolyne behind us; working the X71 service to Consett. I was hoping to catch it, so made my way towards the front of the bus to maximise my chances.

#X71 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to Consett Bus Station – (12:09 --- 12:53) – Go North East 3873 – Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne – ''Corporate''
As the East Lancs Lolynes are being picked off thick and fast, one of my aims for today was to have a ride of one and hopefully a photograph. Walking across the Interchange and keeping my eyes peeled on the bus, which I identified as 3873. This is one of the regular Tridents I'm landed with; I had it on the X70 up to Consett with Adrian once and then on the X43 with Adam about a month later. It's not a bad bus internally, having been refurbished about a year ago, but it struggles on some banks and goes into snail mode. Nevertheless, it was one of my aims for today, so I was happy. One other man was upstairs, just behind the front seats, so I got my preferred spot above the driver. What ruined it somewhat was two men who sat opposite me, going on like a pair of girls and kissing every few minutes. I'm not overly keen on public affection. Despite flying along some stretches of open road to the point that the speed was worrying, it really did struggle on the banks out of the Bensham area and up to Streetgate and Sunniside. I'm going to admit it, I'll really miss the Lolynes when they're all gone, I'm going to start hunting them down in the coming weeks for final rides and the usual. I have lots of fond memories of them on the scholars home when I was in Year 8, I used to sit at the back, facing the rear, on the nearside. Some funny times. Didn't appreciate them at the time but now it's saddening when I see one has been withdrawn, there aren't many left. Can't imagine we'll see any of them in 2016. This supposed upcoming wave of more Scania OmniDekkas will finish them off I predict.

#78 – Consett Bus Station to Stanley Civic Hall – (13:00 --- 13:28) – Go North East 5396 – Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid – ''Coast & Country''
I exited and snapped some photographs of the buses in the layover; 3863 being easy pickings and then a few Tridents parked in pairs together. A Sunderland-bound ''Coast & Country'' Streetlite entered the bus station, so I made my way back in and joined the end of the queue. While I would have preferred to get the seat next to the emergency exit, I settled for the seat behind, just above the step. WiFi seemed to work brilliantly, however I was highly irritated by some children. One of them was no harm at all, but the other, who looked slightly older and around the age of ten; kept faggoting around. Around Leadgate, he spilt a bottle of Coca-Cola all over. At least the mother – who sat far away from him (no surprise) – had the decency to go up and ask the driver if she had anything to clean it up with. For the remainder of the journey; he was shouting up the bus ''have I been a good boy''; ''mam, mam, mam'' and ''eh, eh, eh''... I was annoyed out of my mind. Rather than stay on until the bus station; I decided to alight at the Civic Hall, the bus stop just before the bus station where a few people alight to get closer to the Front Street (and avoid the inbreeds that lurk in the bus station). 

#8 – Stanley Bus Station to Chester-le-Street South Burns – (13:42 --- 14:11) – Go North East 5403 – Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid – ''Coast & Country''
An average day in Stanley; an elder was being sacrificed to the gods outside of the Civic Centre and the residents of Stanley were throwing their benefits money at the sacrificed. After walking down to Greggs for my lunch (a Ham & Cheese Baguette for £2.50 – enjoyable) and stowing it in my bag for when I got home; I headed back into the bus station. The next 8 back to Chester-le-Street was due at 13:45; and the time was 13:35, so I had a while to wait. Sat down in the seats around the stand, and observed the goings on in the bus station. Before long; I could see a ''Coast & Country'' Streetlite coming around the roundabout. After I boarded and sat at the row before the back seats, we sat there doing nothing until 13:48 (3 minutes after our scheduled departure – nothing was holding us back from departing on-time). The driver was an absolute maniac on the road; he mounted several curbs and drove at extreme speeds. At the very back; a man of foreign decent was talking on the phone. The person on the other end of the phone, presumably his wife, was asked ''how many men have you f***ed so far today?'' and after receiving a response; ''I find it hard to take anything you say seriously when I know what's been in that mouth of yours''. No comment.

My ride back up to the Clifford Terrace bus stop was 6066; one of the average ''Angel'' B5s with little character in them. It was operating the 14:15 service to Durham, I sat downstairs and waited for the bus stop, only a few minutes away and just beyond the Front Street. After a quick visit to my grandma's, I was home for 16:00. Tomorrow I'm off to a running day, so might have the review up tomorrow night if I can be bothered. Otherwise, on Monday night most likely. Thanks for reading this one anyway. Smile

R852 PRG

R852 PRG's Reviews