You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

(21 Dec 2015, 1:24 am)DaveyBowyer wrote I think that although many people including myself have given Arriva a hard time on here, they've come a long way from what they were back in the last decade or so moving away from a scrappy and run down image to a modern(?) and relatively clean and tidy fleet with some better (or not) and more profitable services operating. If however, they:

- Improved consistency (no mixed saloon allocations unless deckers aren't warrented for a big chunk of the journeys [X12/X7/X8 although the latter 2x should be sorted by the ex London Geminis], vehicles on routes are relatively the same age [57 plate vs 14 plate Sapphires], correct branding and allocations where possible with suitable spares).

- Implemented a live control room with direct driver contact based in the North East with one for Durham / Tees depots and one for Northumbria depots.

- Ensure that all routes are adequately timed to prevent services not turning up or having to be regulated by either missing stops or implementing a spare vehicle.

- Customer service team based in the North East with 1 team per division (Durham / Tees and Northumbria with a central contact point for initial enquiries and complaints before being forwarded to the relevant team).

Then they could become a very reputable and well respected operator which they are now, but the customer perception of Arriva would significantly improve.

Wow Davey, for the first time I actually agree with the majority of your points. However, they all boil down to money, which Arriva will not spend on things like this. The live control room is long overdue but, after having one in the past that was disbanded, I can't see this happening anytime soon. Such a pity, especially as communications have come a long way since the Siemens system which was last used, and mobile operators will fall over themselves to offer a managed system which will suit Arrivas needs.
A customer service team would also be a good idea but when the current complaints are managed at a local level by current staff, they won't spend money on new employees which they'll see aren't needed.