You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2016

Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2016

Site Administrator
RE: Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2016
(14 Feb 2016, 4:04 pm)Michael wrote The whole allocation on a evening/weekend always brings the debate of branding up.

To me, whats ever branded, should be on the route, even if the route uses a Cadet etc.

Isn't that the whole point in branding?

Exactly, Michael.

One of the main reasons bus operators have introduced route branding is so that customers can identify their service as it approaches, without having to rely on the more traditional method of reading the destination display.

Not forgetting the 'added extras' that are often on route-branded vehicles, such as free Wi-Fi and leather seats. More or less since the introduction of Streetlites to the 306 service, one weekday board has been covered by a corporate liveried vehicle (originally a VDL Pulsar, now a Volvo B7TL). As a result, the 'spare' Streetlite is then allocated to a standard specification service at Jesmond.

The Commercial Department made this decision a long time ago - why hasn't one Streetlite had its sub-branding for service 306 removed? It beggars belief, and makes a complete mockery of route branding, as well as all of the marketing when the 306 service was launched.

As most of you know; I'm hugely in favour of route branding, but I really cannot support evening and Sunday allocations going out of the window, even if it does allow a cost-saving. If it must be done, the operator should inform customers in the timetable where there are instances of 'wrong brand' allocations. Go North East has just started doing this, and it's a step in the right direction.

(14 Feb 2016, 4:06 pm)DanPicken wrote You've just proved the point of Arriva doing it because they're more efficient.

At what point did I say I was unaware of the reasons behind the allocation?

RE: Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2016