You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016
(10 Mar 2016, 8:06 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Well, in the hope of sampling the new and improved next stop announcements to help with a little article for Guide Dogs, I ventured out today across several routes, armed with a Blue & Purple zone M-ticket on my phone.

Firstly I jumped on a Cobalt Clipper into Newcastle Haymarket so I could change onto an X1 from Eldon Square out to Washington Galleries. However, the next stop announcements weren't working and the screens were stuck on a Red Arrows logo, (forgot to get vehicle number, sorry). Thinking I was wasting time on this none-talking bus, I jumped off at Gateshead Interchange and boarded an awaiting Quaylink to Heworth. 

For a while this vehicle's screen was stuck on 'Next Stop: Sage', but eventually woke up and started changing - no audio though. (This was probably a blessing as I'm really not a fan of Alan Robson's bus announcements, despite sometimes listening to Night Owls on the way back from the gym). 

Anyway, once at Heworth I switched to a Connections4 citaro (5368) - again screens working but no audio! At this point I was a little annoyed that 3 of the 4 talking buses I'd been out on, wouldn't talk to me. (Lucky there was no Guide Dog users/blind/visually impaired people on these services, eh?).
Thinking I'd wasted part of my day off, I alighted at Concorde Bus Station, and jumped on another Connections4 heading the opposite direction. 

Alas, this bus spoke! As expected Emma Hignett's clear and understandable tones gave a much more professional sound to what we've previously heard on certain GNE services. Although a smidge repetitive flying down the Felling Bypass due to having 'Next Stop....' and 'This is....' announcements, I completely approve of Go North East's new choice of voice artist. 
Periodically hearing 'This is a Connections4 service to....' is a great addition too, as it confirms you're on the right number bus, heading in the right direction - just what blind/visually impaired/unfamiliar passengers want.

In comparison, the Quaylink I got back from Heworth to Gateshead Interchange certainly sounded a little unprofessional and cringe-worthy after listening to the London style Connections4 voice.
Back at Gateshead Town I changed onto a Red Arrows X1 for Eldon Square, which also had Emma's annoucenments working - and they obviously sounded great too.

Well done Go North East.  Smile  

Once I collect some extra footage in the not too distant future, and get a blog written, I'll be sure to post a link.   Wink

I do like like this as it more clear and pleasant to understand. I think GNE have choosen better than before. After trial will all older buses get them or not?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016
RE: GNE Next Stop Annouments
RE: Bank Holiday Services
RE: Bank Holiday Services