You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Advice on Employment Law(Data Protection Act)

Marxista Fozzski
RE: Advice on Employment Law(Data Protection Act)
(23 Nov 2013, 3:28 pm)andreos1 wrote The way I see it, it is all if's, but's and maybe's.

How did your friend find out - did he ask, was he told or did he stumble across the info lying on a desk?

Either way, he shouldn't have been told or have been able to find out, unless he was part of the recruitment panel.

The Data Protection Act, is British law and I am unsure whether you are protected (if you are at all), due to the job being based in Finland and (I am guessing) the company being foreign.

If it was a British company, based in England, then you may stand a chance of your complaint succeeding - although I am not sure what you would get out of it.

As for the criminal record, check to see if the conviction is now spent and whether the question you were asked - was the right question.
You are not allowed to be asked about a criminal record, but you are allowed to be asked about spent/unspent convictions.

Sorry to hear about the job though.
Hopefully one will turn up soon!

He asked and was told, which is all I am bothered about really, I am reluctant to complain because I am worried I may get my mate in trouble somewhere and we have been friends for too long for me wanting to see him in trouble.

As for my Criminal Convictions, I was directly asked if I had a record and I answered honestly, I didn't find the question a problem as I didn't fill an application form, so the Webcam Convo was effectively my application form...Because of the job I want(Support Work or Residential Social Worker), I have to declare everything even crimes as a minor, if I so much as fart in clean air and get in trouble for it I have to declare it whether Spent or Not

RE: Advice on Employment Law(Data Protection Act)